PDA

View Full Version : GW selling tactics between now and 8th ed?

Grimstonefire
27-04-2010, 20:21
I've been wondering, what are the retail staff being told to do at the moment?

Encourage people to buy loads of core..? What about if they end up being useless for holding objectives? If people ask what is a good combo to build them, what are they supposed to say?

Maybe load up on special units? What if they nerf great weapons? Or heavy cavalry etc.

Rares should be fine right? What if they bring in something to stop excess spamming of things?

Characters. Everyone needs characters... Except expensive ones who will be outside/ too expensive for the % cap.

They were supposed to be told a load of stuff in Vegas last weekend, so I'm curious if anyone who went could say what the general advice was?

The one thing I think we can count on is heavy selling of the BFSP sets.

Crube
27-04-2010, 20:24
Interesting thought GSF.... very intersesting..

I'd imagine that they're being told to sell everything (as normal). I think Core will be pretty safe, and special, other than GW are reasonably safe too...

I think a focus on building armies that would be currently considered 'balanced' would be the idea, personally....

Grimstonefire
27-04-2010, 20:29
No doubt we (or should I say me, I take some responsibility as I'm editing the sticky that is being pasted on dozens of forums) are giving the GW staff a nightmare situation at the moment. People look at their forums, see loads of things that have been reported as rumours from warseer and other places. They get annoyed and tell their friends to stop buying high elves for instance, and then annoy the GW staff when they tell them all these rumours the staffers may now know to be incorrect.

They probably knew it would happen, that sales would drop significantly immediately before a new edition.

I didn't follow the rumours before 7th ed or 40k editions, but I imagine we're probably a bit futher ahead of the plan for releasing information than they would have liked us to have been?

Crube
27-04-2010, 20:43
I dont know... I think we're about on the timeline - they announced 8th edition this week, so the rumours were bound to surface.

Personally I think the staffers (the generic Redshirt, if you will) know exactly what we have posted on the Interwebs. I know from talking to staff in GW Aberdeen, Nottingham and Derby, that they use Warseer (and others) for their info... they seem genuinely in the dark as far as new releases go.

I am sure that they have some info regarding the new starter set though, that hasn't been shared yet.

I for one, am looking forward to looking back through the rumour threads after 8th has been released to see just how much 'we' got right despite GW's rumour lock down.

How it affects sales, we'll have to wait and see. I know from 7th edition, that the BFSP DWarfs were not as well received as the WFB Dwarf boxes... so the same could be the same for the HE - ie the horde army, people are prepared to accept slightly inferior sculpts, whereas for the more elite army, where there are fewer troops, quality is more important....

Grimstonefire
27-04-2010, 20:46
The BFSP pass set, for all their praise, is not well sculpted at all imo. Especially when you look at assault on black reach.

That is a fair point about fewer models needed = greater quality of sculpt required. Shame they had to go and put skaven in then... ;)

orlanth1000
27-04-2010, 22:27
@ Grimstone, My experience of vegas is that you don't tend to remember a lot :)

I know my LGS, is not stocking anymore Starter sets after finding out the release dates approx for the new one.
He has a lot in stock, but they sell alright so he is not too worried.

@ Crube, agreed, I think you could expect the new models to be slightly better in quality ( even for the the starter set ) because I'm sure the plastic technology would have advanced a bit over the last 4 years.....hopefully.

blongbling
29-04-2010, 11:52
they will sell as normal and then we the date for launch gets nearer anyone buying a core game will most likely get a voucher for a free set of the new rules. They cant afford to not carry on selling it as normal

Lord Malorne
29-04-2010, 12:03
I doubt the stuff have been told much in the way of why they are selling certain units over others.

Tenken
30-04-2010, 06:54
Basically just take the losses and hope everyone is saving up for the new edition. Whenever a game company announces a new edition they have to expect to be slow on sales between the time of the announcement and the release date. Hopefully the release date will spark a boom though, people buy rulebooks, some save money to buy new armies after they've read them. They sell new starter sets. Then things return to normal, hopefully the boom recovers for the relative loss during that awkward changing editions phase.

blongbling
30-04-2010, 08:11
Basically just take the losses and hope everyone is saving up for the new edition. Whenever a game company announces a new edition they have to expect to be slow on sales between the time of the announcement and the release date. Hopefully the release date will spark a boom though, people buy rulebooks, some save money to buy new armies after they've read them. They sell new starter sets. Then things return to normal, hopefully the boom recovers for the relative loss during that awkward changing editions phase.

not when your stores are meant to be creating new gamers where they can still sell them the current copy as the new one wont make any difference to them yet.

Generally a new game release is very good for GW;a Warhammer one will be less so as it is the lesser played of the two main systems. What they will hope is that the changes to the rules will help to drive additional sales revenue in the months that follow, as well as redone races.

RagingHobo
07-05-2010, 07:37
I would guess that the sale of a rulebook to every gamer in the area would make up for any drop in sales leading up to a new edition.

ftayl5
07-05-2010, 09:52
My local stores been pretty quiet recently. Most people seem to have put warahhmer completely aside until 8th edition. This is why I'm surprised they announced it, no-ones buying anything and won't for a while as tehy dont know if cav-flails will be useless or handguns will be nerfed or anything in between.

I've observed their selling tactics involve simply syaing 'ooh thats a good choice I love______" intstead of soemthing to do with equiping and using them. Tehy also seem very focused on selling white dwarves and BFSP's

Misfratz
08-05-2010, 23:24
It so happened that I was in a GW store just last week, and so overheard a bit of a discussion of this nature.

The staffer told the customer that they were going to be releasing a new version of the rules in July, so there was no need to pick up a version of the rules now, since they would be changing soon. Their advice of models to choose for an army was simply to choose what they liked and wanted.

You have to remember that GW steadfastly refuses to view this sort of decision through the same eyes as most users of internet fora- ie "I would never buy x, y or z because they are rubbish; how can I know whether to buy models with great weapons if they might be nerfed by the new rules", etc

The rules, for them, are simply something to use models with; they are not the reason for purchasing [or not] the models in the first place. Consequently, the answer to the OPs question is:

(c) The issue does not arise, because for GW staffers there is always a good reason to buy any of the models.