PDA

View Full Version : Starting Warhammer Again - Could use some help deciding what to play

Abaddon676
27-04-2010, 22:56
Hey Guys,
I've played Warhammer and 40k for a long time although to be honest overall the vast majority of my time has been 40k related. However I have really taken a liking to fantasy recently and want to really make a proper fantasy army - most of the things I have are the odd bits of Dark Elves and Orcs (mostly ruined minis from my youth).

Anyways Im really taking a liking to Beastmen and Lizardmen but I'm not entirely sure how either plays - from what I've seen the lizardmen seem to be slow but strong in counter attack while the beastmen are okay overall. Still not entirely sure, some suggestions?

I'm also willing to play Warriors of Chaos, Orcs and Goblins or Dark Elves - if convinced.

Spiney Norman
27-04-2010, 23:15
I wouldn't judge armies based on play-style just now, everything is about to change in a couple of months with the new edition and everyone is going to be flat-footed in the first few months working out how to adapt to the new rules.

I'd recommend taking a long, hard look at the different armies, perhaps doing a little research into the background of them (borrow an army book off someone if you can) and decide which one you like the look & feel & theme of.

mrtn
27-04-2010, 23:59
Yeah, you should be aware of the new edition. Other than that, I'd go with the coolest army, that's usually a good way to start an army.
Beastmen aren't very resilient with their low armour, but they hit like a ton of bricks. If you're interested in them you can check out the Herdstone forum, see the link in my sig.

MalusCalibur
28-04-2010, 00:09
Normally I'd just say pick the army you like the best based on its background and miniatures range. However, given that 8th edition is round the corner, you might want to steer clear of Fantasy.