PDA

View Full Version : Pondering a Declates Crusade army

Aristocrap
28-04-2010, 00:03
I was reading up on the Declates Crusade a while back and I thought, "Man, that'd be a cool idea for an army." So, I've come here to see what you guys think. I was planning to paint up a few marines in my Crusader Squads as Crimson Fists, as both them and the Black Templars fought in mixed squads. Perhaps a Rhino or a few other vehicles could be painted in the Crimson Fists colors as well. I'd be using the Black Templars codex for the whole army to make things simple, of course.

However, there's one issue I've been pondering; Because my army would obviously be fighting many armies from time to time, would they really still be in the Declates Crusade? The only xenos in that conflict were Orks. References talk about the Crusade in the past-tense, so maybe after the Ork conflict, the chapters proceeded to purge/defend the Declates System from other invaders or returned to the system to defend it from new attacks?

Hushrong
28-04-2010, 00:26
I have read a bit of the declates crusade stuff and i like the idea of the Crimson Fists and Black Templars joining forces and going so far as exchanging iconography. seems fitting as they are both Sons of Dorn.

so far it seems like they came, saw, and are mopping up before conquering(not 100% as i dont think i read everything). but i am sure that once they are/were done that they would leave. im sure the CF are out looking for more of ork-kind to purge while the BT are out on another crusade.

I would say make them, as you said, by mixing in the armies an just use BT rules and you will have your Declates Crusade army. fluff wise it wouldnt seem so as the two forces would have went seperate ways but at least you have an army that you like that is both cool and unique.

Aristocrap
28-04-2010, 00:58
Yeah, I'd imagine after the conflict both Chapters said their goodbyes and split up, which makes it hard to create the army I'm thinking of building. Maybe I could create the 'II Declates Crusade'; this time the chapters are recalled to the system on reports of multiple xenos attacks, which could loosley justify fighting different armies than just Orks.

Arvendragon
28-04-2010, 01:18
The thing is, Crusade armies don't really have a good color scheme to tie everything together. It looks like... Eldar... on the tabletop.

Hushrong
28-04-2010, 01:33
i would say just go with the declates crusade. having an army based on a crusade that is over is no different than people who make pre-heresy armies and use them on the table.

if you want to make new fluff then i'd go with making another crusade all together as you can build up the history of the event an the characters involved.

as stated before i like the icon exchange idea, it seems like a simple and solid idea for combining the two forces. the BT with their left hand painted red, and the CF with their right pads having a maltese cross. but you can do something like the two fellow warseers where they have a campaign markings. these are the two armies and the individuals who made them:

Vexus crusade IF by petay (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247044)
Vexus crusade BT by eltanko (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247046)

Aristocrap
28-04-2010, 02:12
@Arvendragon: The colors might not go hand-in-hand, but I think there's much more to a Crusade army than how well the colors mix. These two Chapters are among my favorites (if not my favorites already) and creating a Crusade army with both really brings out something special inside me. Might sound a bit corny, but it's true. The bond the two Chapters share is pretty significant and much more important than color theory.

@Hushrong: That's pretty nifty! The Black Templars had a Crusade marking as well during the Declates Crusade, which was a single red stripe on a white shield. I'm not 100% sure the Crimson Fists put it on their armor too, but I could easily paint it up that way to enhance the bond between the two.

I'm really not sure if I want my force to be of this particular Crusade or another one. I kinda feel that fluff-wise, they'd be limited to fighting Orks as they did in the conflict. So perhaps it would make more sense to create a new Declates Crusade or a different one entirley. I don't think there'd be a problem using the same exchange of iconography, would there? Perhaps it'd be a reminder of their bond at the Declates in the past.

Hushrong
28-04-2010, 05:55
i just looked up the BT on lexicanum out of interest and looked up their crusades as well. some showed banners and each had a different marking.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Templars

just click on notable campaing/crusades link an you will see white shields with different designs on some of the banners. so it would seem like you would have to make one for your crusade.

using the same exchange of icons would be still be good. perhaps even the same marines from each chapter are fighting in the same formations from the 1st declates crusade as the BT fight with others they are familiar with instead of being assigned to 'traditional' squads.

good luck an have fun coming up with your crusade and fluff!

Petay1985
28-04-2010, 09:16
Eltanko and I have are building crusade armies at the moment, his are Black templars and mine Imperial Fists.
We are using a small army badge to tie the two forces together. If / when i add in unints that didn't fight in the crusade i just won't give them the army badge.

Take a look at our logs and see what you think. please feel free to ask any questions as you see fit.

Aristocrap
28-04-2010, 14:54
I saw your logs and I must say, I'm impressed! I like the idea of two armies (yours and Eltanko's) bearing the same iconography to make the as one, so to speak.

Out of curiosity, do you two live close enough to use both armies together in games? Both armies together on one tabletop as allies sure would be a sight to behold!

Petay1985
28-04-2010, 14:58
I saw your logs and I must say, I'm impressed! I like the idea of two armies (yours and Eltanko's) bearing the same iconography to make the as one, so to speak.

Out of curiosity, do you two live close enough to use both armies together in games? Both armies together on one tabletop as allies sure would be a sight to behold!

In theory it could be done yes but we are approximately 170 miles appart, essentially on opposite sides of the country, more or less. We are hoping to meet in Nottingham with our armies at some point, but unsure when. I'm glad you like the ideas behind our forces!

I look forward to seeing a project log of yours once you begin, please do PM me when you start!

Aristocrap
28-04-2010, 15:26
Once I get a few sets and start assembling my force, I'll be sure to start a log! Can't make any promises it'll be soon, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm getting the BT Codex today and I'll have an army list put together very soon, so that's a start.

If you two ever do get the opportunity to meet up and combine your forces, you should take pictures and put them up in your logs!