PDA

View Full Version : new to 40k, what SM chapter to go for

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 00:33
hey guys, i was wondering if your endless wisdom would be able to help me. IM new to the hobby and havnnt bought any 40k models yet apart from a dreadnought about two years ago. However im coming back and have decided to collect a space marine army. but my real problem is which one to collect, i want to able to hit my enemy hard being able to maintain possesion of objectives etc. So can you guys help me. As soon as ive decided i'lll be able to draw an army list up and start buying lol

clarkey

bigcheese76
28-04-2010, 00:42
Were you planning on using the standard marine codex? Or did you want suggestions for things like Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Templars.

I would say at the moment, Bloood Angels are a good army, especially if you want them to be able to hit hard and then claim objectives. Also, they are really up to date having just had a new codex.

Bestaltan
28-04-2010, 01:55
Not to mention that the BA models are simply stunning in detail and sculpting. The new models.......wow.

technotemplar
28-04-2010, 02:54
I've played blood angels for several years now, sounds like what you are looking for. Black Templars (when they get their new dex) are also a good choice

Project2501
28-04-2010, 03:32
Make your own chapter, use whatever codex you like.

Nezalhualixtlan
28-04-2010, 03:52
Make your own chapter, use whatever codex you like.

Seconded. Make your own chapter, and use whatever codex you feel like for a list at the time. Just make sure it's internally legal, don't mix units from different codexes, and you'll be fine. Codex Marines, Space Wolves, and Blood Angels have rather recent codexes, and all three have very solid choices for potential builds in them.

ForgottenLore
28-04-2010, 03:53
Don't do Space Marines. Too bland and boring and way, way too common.

If you absolutely insist on making yet another space marine army, Like Project2501 said, make up your own chapter. At least then you can inject SOME originality into space marines.

ReveredChaplainDrake
28-04-2010, 03:58
If you're newer to the game, you might want to start with a simpler Marine chapter that has a more forgiving play style, but one that doesn't involve a whole lot of models.

I would suggest a Crimson Fists army, led by Kantor. Despite the issue of Sternguard being essentially expensive metal models, you can basically kitbash your own Sternguard with the Deathwatch Kill Team bits pack and a box of 10 Marines. (That's my plan, when I get around to my own CF army.) Crimson Fists also come with plenty of bits packs of their own for shoulder pads and backpacks that have their chapter insignia already on them, meaning you don't have to worry about annoying little waterslide transfers, or worse, having to freehand your own insignias from scratch. As for tactics, it takes a real veteran to appreciate the benefits of Combat Tactics, the lifeblood of a good Codex Marine army, so just ditch it for something a little more reliable in your average scenario. Stubborn is widely considered one of the game's better universal special rules.

If on a lower budget and you aren't particularly fussy about competitiveness, Deathwing and Grey Knights are two other low model count armies that you can build up lots of points for very quickly. Plus, both the Terminator models and the Grey Knight models are both very good looking, even considering their age in the case of the Grey Knights. A similar alternative to this is the "Loganwing", which is basically a Space Wolves list with Logan Grimnar, allowing you to take Wolf Guard Terminators as Troops, only Space Wolves come with fancier and more current rules than the Dark Angels, and are much more up to date than the Grey Knights. The disadvantage to this is that Space Wolves models tend to be trickier to assemble and paint because there are just so many extra bits that it might be a bit overwhelming for someone new to the hobby.

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 07:30
Thanks guys, crimson fists were going to be my first choice because Kantor looks such an awesome model. But then you mentioned Blood Angels and i must admit they sound almost perfect. But then the creative side in me wants to use the BA codex and make my own, eurggh decisions. Unfortunately theres just something about the good old space marines, which makes me want to play them. So if i were to make my own chapter i would have to take it from one codex right? otherwise that would be cheating

regards clarkey :)

spaint2k
28-04-2010, 07:36
Choose a chapter with a nice, easy colour-scheme. Don't go for white (or lighter colours in general), don't go for colour-schemes that involve multiple colours, or quartering/halving of the armour.

An easy to paint chapter symbol (or GW shoulder pads) will be a godsend. I also vote for the Crimson Fists, and besides, Kantor is very cool.

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 07:43
The paint schemes dont bother me as ive been painting with the lord of the rings models for about two years now, so theres no problem or technical abilitiles getting in the way. I may take the crimson fist army, with kantor, and come up with a new chapter. Can anyone tell me, the characteristics of a Crimson Fist Army?

The Illusionist
28-04-2010, 07:59
Crimons Fists! nothing more awesome that an underdog!

spaint2k
28-04-2010, 08:06
The paint schemes dont bother me as ive been painting with the lord of the rings models for about two years now, so theres no problem or technical abilitiles getting in the way.

It's not the technical issues that are the problem. It's just a pain painting so many troops that are the same. If your scheme takes a long time to complete because it's complicated or needs many coats to go on right, you'll get sick of painting before you're done.

I may take the crimson fist army, with kantor, and come up with a new chapter. Can anyone tell me, the characteristics of a Crimson Fist Army?

People usually characterize it as having plenty of Sternguard and scouts. Kantor allows Sternguard to become scoring, which is pretty nice. They're a chapter rebuilding themselves after orks destroyed their monastery.

Simo429
28-04-2010, 08:13
wolves

easy to get a good looking army with simple techniques

good all-round army, grey hunters one of the best troop choices in the game

easy to customise

Hypaspist
28-04-2010, 08:50
Clarkey,
It depends on what you want out of it. Do you want one army, that you can play lots of different ways, when the fancy takes you? (in which case, make your own chapter, and use different companies to reflect different Codices)
ie
1st Company - Codex DA
2nd Company - Codex BA
3rd - 8th Company - Codex Space Marine
9th Company - Codex Space Wolves
10th Companby - Codex Black Templar

as an example.

OR, are you the sort of player who likes immersing themself in the backstory of one particular chapter?
In which case take a nice long read through all the codified armies (BT,BA,DA,SW,Codex) and pick the one that best represents your ethos, and either go with them as vanilla, or do a Successor Chapter :)

Marines can sometimes get hammered for perceived as being dull. But it's all in the eye of the beholder. Take your time, read up on the various chapters, and go with what you prefer, and that way you will have a higher chance of enjoying your army in the longer term.

my ha'pence worth anyways :)

Petay1985
28-04-2010, 09:17
I would like to further the motion of an Imperial Fist's army, the Sons of Dorn deserve your support ;)

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 09:35
hmm it seems i need a good read through the codices, i want an army which is able to hit hard all over the board. What are the imperial fists, characteristics? i heard of them, but not what they can do etc?

Petay1985
28-04-2010, 09:47
Their characteristally subborn and good at defence & siege. I think they lend well to a hard hitting force, which it why i play them.

its worth noting that Kantor & Lysander both convey the stubborn rule to the army.

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 11:14
ahh ok, i think i may just have a thorough of the SM codex and see what army stands out the most, in terms of appealing play style, and i'll keep you guys posted, off to games workshop it is!!!

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 11:15
oh yeah, have any of you guys had experience with wayland games? was wondering if they are trustworthy?

Hypaspist
28-04-2010, 12:19
Wayland games are very good, my gaming group have used them extensively, and with good success.
:)

Creeping_Death
28-04-2010, 15:54
If you really want to put in some time researching armies before you choose lexicanum is your friend! These are links to information on the original 20 legions, along with later chapter foundings. Most chapter pages also include a picture of their colour scheme, so you should be able to get a feel for what you like.

Legions (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marine_Legion)
Second Founding (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Second_Founding)
13th Founding (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Thirteenth_Founding)
21st Founding (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Twenty_First_Founding)
26th Fouding (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Twenty_Sixth_Founding)

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 16:19
thats reassuring me and my friend may order the sharpend stick of sicarous or the drop comapny and spilt the costs lol. Thanks creeping death those links have been saved to favourites and many a hour shall be spent doing my research!

Shas'o Kais
28-04-2010, 18:02
Start you own chapter using the Blood Angels dex!

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 21:50
im not overly keen on the new models, they seem a bit too homoerotic for my liking. Probs just make my own chapter from the original SM codex, it seems the safest bet, probs using crimson fist rules

cttran77
28-04-2010, 22:08
One suggestion I haven't seen mentioned (I just skimmed the other posts so I may have over looked it) is you could build a crusade army comprised of elements from various space marine chapters. This would allow you to vary the color scheme to experiment or if you get bored painting the same colors.

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 22:10
hmm sounds interesting, so a crusade army is just a made up chapter incorporating bits and bobs from other chapters? One question i heard you cant take one thinng from one codex and one from another when it comes to making the rules for your chosen army?>

Project2501
28-04-2010, 22:31
hmm sounds interesting, so a crusade army is just a made up chapter incorporating bits and bobs from other chapters? One question i heard you cant take one thinng from one codex and one from another when it comes to making the rules for your chosen army?>

This is correct. You cannot (unless it's just amongst friends) take units/items from multiple codexes in the same army. An example would be; you happen to love the death company from Blood Angels and Grey hunters from Space Wolves, you could not have them both as they are in their codexes in the same list. You'd have to choose to use the blood angels codex and have the grey hunters be regular marines, or visa versa.

That's why I (and others) are telling you to just get marines for now, build your own chapter, and use whatever particular space marine codex you feel like whenever you feel like.

clarkey1991
28-04-2010, 22:34
yeah i think is what i am gonna do, i was just trying to get the whole picture rather than having snippets of suggestions and then making illegally moves so to speak. but no all is clear

cttran77
29-04-2010, 18:13

That's correct. But it's perfectly legal to chose the Space Marine Codex and paint half the army as White Scars and half as Raven Guard, and build your army fluff around a joint crusade (e.g., The Hunt for Voldorius).

Another example, the Ultramarines Honour Company is a deployment of Ultramarines and their successor chapters (Eagle Warriors, Genesis Chapter, Aurora, Silver Skulls, etc.) around the Eye of Terror.

Project2501
29-04-2010, 18:23
That's correct. But it's perfectly legal to chose the Space Marine Codex and paint half the army as White Scars and half as Raven Guard, and build your army fluff around a joint crusade (e.g., The Hunt for Voldorius).

Another example, the Ultramarines Honour Company is a deployment of Ultramarines and their successor chapters (Eagle Warriors, Genesis Chapter, Aurora, Silver Skulls, etc.) around the Eye of Terror.

Those are horrible examples and in either event you would still have to choose one codex to use no matter what you modelled your marines as.

Stop confusing the OP.

bigirishgeneral
30-04-2010, 05:02
I would look into the Space Wolves codex. They have some cool tools. Not as tactical as Blood Angels but super customizable and low point wargear. Pretty cool codex if you dont want to combat squad. Grey hunters are amazing troop choice.