PDA

View Full Version : Viability of Krox-heavy Lizzies?

BigbyWolf
28-04-2010, 10:02
So, amongst my collection I've got a Troll King Army for WoC, a Mino-heavy Beastmen army and Ogre Kingdoms. I don't prefer the big guys all the time, but I do enjoy dropping an army of them on the table every now and then.

Bearing in mind that I intend to start Lizardmen at some point in the next 6 months, I'm quite tempted to invest in a few Krox and was just wondering how viable it is for a list that mainly comprises Skint/Krox core, Krox for special and characters/ rares to taste.

Any experienced cold-blooded Warseerites able to give advice on this?

Tenken
28-04-2010, 10:45
I like them a whole let better than saurus. Krox just mess up whatever they get into combat with, and the skinks will surprise you (and your opponent). M6 is huge, makes them super fast especially in the LM list which is relatively on the slower side for movement generally. Their only downside is ws3, it's not bad, it's just not very good either.

I like units of 16 skinks and 2 krox myself. Haven't tried bigger, smaller just doesn't cut it for me. I'd imagine bigger would get hard to manuever (you're adding a whole nother 3 inches almost), and two usually kill enough in combat to help with the skinks dying in droves. Add in ranks (which most big monsters wish they could have) and a standard, and you've got a unit that can pretty consistently win fights.

T10
28-04-2010, 11:29
Kroxigors are in the same ballpark as Ironguts. Use them the same way.

-T10

BigbyWolf
28-04-2010, 11:44
Out of curiosity- are Krox plastic these days?

Also, what kind of support would be better for them (rare-wise) Stegs or Razordon/ Salamander Packs?

SeaSwift
28-04-2010, 11:52
Nope - Krox are metal. Support - Stegs all the way.

BigbyWolf
28-04-2010, 12:21
Nope - Krox are metal. Support - Stegs all the way.

That makes things slightly more pricey, I'll have to make a list tonight to see what I'm looking at. At the moment it looks like 3 cohorts with 2 Krox in each, and 3 units of 3 Krox on their own. 15 of the buggers. Throw in a unit of TG and Slann, couple of Skirmishing units and a stegg or two (possible EotG). Job done.

Vsurma
28-04-2010, 15:32
I think you will want to go with units of 4 for the krox, 3 will net you about 4.5 hits and 3.75 wound before armour (only if they have 3+, ward or regen)

Still less than 4 cr rarely if ever wins you combats (goblins and skellies beat you...as does everything else)

With 4 you will at least be getting 6 hits and 5 wounds (so you still lose to a fully ranked unit with banner and musician) but at least you only lose by 1 (unless they hurt you)

They work well with the krox doing the damage and the skinks providing the static cr, small skink krox on the flanks while the larger krox units hit the front works.

You can also run 20 strong skink cohort units and combo charge with the krox, same speed.

I think you might be better off with just the skrox units though and more of them rather than taking pure krox, those units only really do well against well armoured units like knights, against most things you would do better with the static cr from the skinks.

I think an army with lots of skink krox units would look really cool, I don't think it really needs a slann. The old blood might make a nicer leader for this force. The skink krox units aren't really in too much danger from most spells.

Missiles don't really hurt since most of the time they hit your 5pt skinks, so you can let them through.

Not the cheapest army to build mined you.

I might have to give it a go since I have 10 krox models. I just don't think I have the amount of skinks needed, probably about 100!