PDA

View Full Version : new army

highelve0065
28-04-2010, 10:53
im thinking of starting a space marine army but i have no idea where to start. i currently have a 1500pt tau army so looking for a different style of play and really like the look of the space marines. i have the codex but still don't no what to do with making an army, i have looked at some of the army lists here but don't understand them as my knowledge of space marines is low to non-existent. thanks in advance.

world in grey
28-04-2010, 10:57
It depends on how you want your army to play? shooty assault balanced but either way I'd start with at least 2 full tactical squads if not 3 maybe some transport and a captain with weapons to suit your choice of army style, shooty assault etc then add units to support the style from there

Petay1985
28-04-2010, 11:14
'world in grey' gives sound advice, i would also recommend starting with 2 full tactical squads, then pick a HQ you like, obviously the HQ style will influence the army style, especially if you take a named character.

if i may assume that your Tau army is 'shooty' perhaps an assauly based army would tickle your fancy, i would look at Shrike & Kharn for consideration. I think the real strength however of the Space Marines codex is it's versatility, a balanced could certainly be the way forward.

Aristocrap
28-04-2010, 15:43
Like Petay said, If you want a different style of play and want Space Marines, you could give Blood Angels or Black Templars a try. Both are pretty assault-oriented armies which present a change of pace from playing Tau, which are shooty. Of course, it might be easier to get used to marines by playing a vanilla force with the normal SM Codex.