PDA

View Full Version : Armies with a small amount of Models on the battlefield?

Riceeman
28-04-2010, 17:34
I'm not very good at painting up large units of Infantry. I'm just not commited enough to painet everyone uniformly. So I was wondering, out of curiosity and the possibility for a new army, which Races and what specific style with that race would result in a small amount of Models actually on the battlefield?

Yes, this isn't for a tournament - I realise flanking would be a problem in a competitive environment. Also, my first thoughts are a Cavalry Force or an Ogre army maybe. I'm not all-knowledgeable though, so any info would be really helpful. Thanks for reading.

puppetmaster24
28-04-2010, 17:39
all cavalry chaos warriors. or all ogre ogres are probably your best bets.

Stuffburger
28-04-2010, 17:52
all cavalry chaos warriors. or all ogre ogres are probably your best bets.

Those are probably the two lowest model count armies. If you want to minimize painting time you might be better off with high/wood elves as they are rather high pointed and small models. Ogres are pretty big, and cavalry is like painting 2, 2 1/2 models each.

Depends on how you plan on painting your force as to what would be faster, I don't have any facts to back me up.

DigitalDogParty
28-04-2010, 19:05
Yeah, I agree with the posters above. Personally, I find Ogres to be way too ugly to do. Aren't they even more expensive than cavalry? I 'unno. But in the long run, I just wouldn't do an Ogre army. Large cavalry looks real threatening though on the field.

Riceeman
28-04-2010, 19:27
I think Cavalry or Ogres appeal to me more then expensive Elves - The fact that they're small isn't particturlarly nice for me either. I like using Drybrushing alot, so I don't like having lots of fiddly cloth changes like on Wood Elves (Painted up one of my brother's Elves and it was just torturous).

If Cavalry route, how would you play it to be small and elite? A Chaos Knight Warband with lots of Wahounds and Knights?

I'm not ruling out Ogres either. Yhey offer quite alot of chance for conversion really. How would you make a small elite group of Ogres?

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate them.

inq.serge
28-04-2010, 19:30
I was planning on a 36 model woc* 3000 pts list. Later found out it was 3200+ pts. Then found out that that 8 ed would come out soon.

* And it wasn't a crappy list, but a list that could do well in tournaments.

L1qw1d
28-04-2010, 19:33
I say Chaos, liquor and the spray gun. It'll be painted in a SNAP!!

Garion
28-04-2010, 19:34
I don't like painting block units either on account of having a Skaven army in the 1990s (I think this put me off big block units for life) and I went with Ogres, they IMO are the most fun army to paint also they are a cheap army to collect with a relatively low model count and the battalion is a good purchace. All the units of Ogre Bulls ad Ironguts are only 3 models, the leadbelchers I have in units of 2.

The next army I think I will paint will either be Warriors of Chaos again because of the low model count and quality of the models, or Tomb Kings; even though they have a large model count they are really easy to paint very quickly and to a high standard.

Daemons of Choas also have a relatively small model count and they have more variety than Ogres so that might be a good army to start however most people don't enjoy playing DoC so you might want to avoid them. Ogres are also not very good at the moment but they should have a new army book out by the end of the year or early next year which should make them competitive again so if you start collecting them now then they should be ready for when the new book is released.

This is as good as an Ogre list will get at the moment so if you base your purchases on this you cant go to far wrong.

Butcher with 2 Scrolls = 180

Butcher with Scroll and Bangstick = 180

Butcher with Skullmantle and Siegebreaker = 180

3 Ogre Bulls = 105

3 Ironguts with musician and champion = 174

3 Ironguts with musician = 154

8 Gnoblar Trappers = 48

2 Leadbelchers = 110

2 Leadbelchers with musician = 120

Gorger = 75

Gorger = 75

Total = 2250

Riceeman
28-04-2010, 19:46
Ooh, that looks really nice. Many thanks for that Garion! (Judging by your name, fellow Mallorean and Belgeriad Reader?) I have to agree, I am drawn to the large surface areas of Ogres and their general ragtaggedyness. I think maybe Ogres is probably going to be the route I take. I could even follow the example of the person in fantasy Project Logs who has customised his Ogres to a race each. Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm still open to being swayed.

inq.serge
28-04-2010, 19:53
Or you can go WoC with Throgg the troll king and tonnes of trolls? (Trolls are core if Throgg the troll king (Hero level troll) is in the army).

Witchblade
28-04-2010, 20:37
It should be noted that some armies are a lot easier to paint than others, so painting time isn't just a function of the quantity of models. For example, Undead, Daemons, Forest Spirits and Lizardmen can be very quickly painted to good gaming standard. Ogres are also surprisingly easy to paint from my experience. Elves and Humans take most time for me.

snottlebocket
28-04-2010, 21:18
I think Cavalry or Ogres appeal to me more then expensive Elves - The fact that they're small isn't particturlarly nice for me either. I like using Drybrushing alot, so I don't like having lots of fiddly cloth changes like on Wood Elves (Painted up one of my brother's Elves and it was just torturous).

If Cavalry route, how would you play it to be small and elite? A Chaos Knight Warband with lots of Wahounds and Knights?

I'm not ruling out Ogres either. Yhey offer quite alot of chance for conversion really. How would you make a small elite group of Ogres?

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate them.

My chaos army consists of...

2 combat heroes on discs, they just fly around and take on small stuff
2 lv1 sorcs on steeds with 2 dispell scrolls each, a surprisingly adequate magic defence for such a fast army

3x5 marauder horsemen, they usually end up flanking
2x5 hounds, turn one missile screens for the frenzied units
2x5 knights of nurgle with magic banners
4 khorne ogres with great weapons, chaos armour and standard, a risky unit but if they charge they can pound most units into gibs
3 dragon ogres with great weapons
2 giants, one giant is a missile magnet, two giants ensure someone is going to feel the pain

In the end it's simply a very fast army where each of the units can bring a lot of hurt. It's got enough fast units to fill the center and both flanks. Enough support units to help out. 2 lv1 sorcs sound light but 4 dispel dice and 4 scrolls is usually enough for the short amount of time I need to cross the table.

The discriding heroes are actually quite powerful. Both have 3+ wardsaves (golden eye, armour of morrslieb) and flails. The 20 inch charge range of the disc means they're fast enough to support any combat. 4 str 7 attacks goes a long way towards swinging things into your favor. One of the disc heroes carries the battlestandard to swing things around even more.

With a bit of luck I can go straight through the enemy light stuff and when it comes to the tough stuff I'm fast enough to charge it from multiple sides at once.

As far as painting goes, the ogres, hounds, dragon ogres and giants can be painted quite fast. The knights and marauders can take a bit longer depending on how much detail you want to pick out.

Harwammer
28-04-2010, 23:21
I don't think anyone has mentioned this (in which case i am suprised) but how about beastmen?

Having core chariots with expensive characters and monsters means you can easily make 2k points in under 10 models, e.g.

level 4 on chariot
level 2 on chariot
wargor general on chariot
minotaur bsb
3 chariots
2 big nasties

Chariots, wheee!

shredshredxx
29-04-2010, 06:03
high elves, ogres, and chaos warriors tend to have a relatively low model count.

Kukkelukke
29-04-2010, 07:20
Well. If you get tired of painting, then why not use armypainter?
I know a lot of ppl who just dip their models... And it actually works out..

Alltaken
29-04-2010, 16:16
lizards on 8th edition wil lhave more bodies since you have less hero point expenditure.

Low count beside the allready mentioned are HE and DE maybe.

Dantès
29-04-2010, 17:21
Skaven! (heheh)

Lord Skrolk
3x Priests on Plague Furnace
3x 20 Plague Monks, 1 with storm banner
Hellpit Abomination

:cheese:

Plague Monks are probably the easiest models to paint of everything listed. Smack green on their cloaks, wash with devlan mud, paint skin a lightish brown, then wash with devlan mud. Paint eyes red, paint boils dwarf flesh, drybrush the weapons with a metal and wash, and voila you're done! You could get a unit of 20 done in a day, to a good tabletop standard. Try doing that with ogres, or WOC cav ;)

If the 3 units of monks takes you a day each, lets say the three furnaces take you a day each, making the HPA takes you a day, and painting the HPA and Skrolk one more day, then your grand total to paint a 2k army would be 8 days!

Alternatively, you could drop one Priest with furnace, and pick up a second HPA. Whichever flavor of :cheese: tickles your fancy!

Gaargod
30-04-2010, 12:41
This is as good as an Ogre list will get at the moment so if you base your purchases on this you cant go to far wrong.

Butcher with 2 Scrolls = 180

Butcher with Scroll and Bangstick = 180

Butcher with Skullmantle and Siegebreaker = 180

3 Ogre Bulls = 105

3 Ironguts with musician and champion = 174

8 Gnoblar Trappers = 48

2 Leadbelchers = 110

Gorger = 75

Gorger = 75

Total = 2250

Hey! That's the exact list i wrote a week or so ago, put it up on someone else's questions on ogres :) Although, you missed out the Tyrant with tenderiser, heavy armour, wyrdstone necklace and longstrider.

As for chaos cav lists, my friend uses a list similar to this one, which i wrote him a while ago, to astonishing effectiveness.

Sorcerer Lord with Level 4, Mark of Tzeentch, Spell Familiar, Book of Secrets, Golden Eye of Tzeentch and Enchanted Shield and a Disc of Tzeentch= 390

Sorcerer with Level 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Skull of Katam and a Disc of Tzeentch = 210

Sorcerer with Level 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll and a Disc of Tzeentch = 210

Sorcerer with Level 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet and a Disc of Tzeentch = 195

5 Marauder Horsemen with flails, throwing spears and Mark of Slaanesh = 90
5 Marauder Horsemen with flails and Mark of Slaanesh = 85
5 Marauder Horsemen with flails and Mark of Slaanesh = 85

5 Warhounds = 30
5 Warhounds = 30
5 Warhounds = 30
5 Warhounds = 30

6 Chaos Knights with a Standard Bearer and Mark of Khorne = 290

Total = 2250

You have to learn to screen well with dogs, and not put your sorcerers in dangerous positions, but it deals out the pain so fast...

ogresrdabest
01-05-2010, 21:08
yep that list is cheese (especially with good luck ;)) but seriously alex stop posting cheese lists

Alex's weekend routine.

Wake up 10:00

Crush dreams on warseer 10:00 - 12:00

Go to games workshop 12:00-06:00

Crush dreams there

come home

Crush dreams 6:00 - 11:00

sleep at do it all again tomoro... GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!:mad:

SevenSins
01-05-2010, 22:52
like harwammer says beasts are also a strong (?) low-count possibility

with core choices like chariots and/or 5 strong skirmishers

then stuff the rest in razorgors/Minotaurs and huge terror thingies.

shinankoku
02-05-2010, 03:52
Yeah, I agree with the posters above. Personally, I find Ogres to be way too ugly to do. Aren't they even more expensive than cavalry? I 'unno. But in the long run, I just wouldn't do an Ogre army. Large cavalry looks real threatening though on the field.

I agree, that's why may ogre army is all non-GW figs! If you're not using them in a tournament, it doesn't matter (so long as the base size is right and everyone knows what's-what. I LOVE Warmachine/Hordes Trolls, and have quite a few mounted on 40 mm bases in my Ogre army).

One more thing: i have a buddy running lizardmen. At 2000-2999 points he brings three small units of skinks (30 models) and then nothing but stegadons. I don't know the exact breakdown but he's got at least two skink priests with stegis and engine of the gods, a couple more as specials choices, and so on. It's not many models, and he's better than .500. I'd recommend looking into it.

w3rm
02-05-2010, 17:05
Nurgle Daemons can do pretty small

11 Plaguebearers with FC and Banner of Seeping Decay x3
3 lvl 1 heralds on Palaquins all with ASL
lvl 4 GUO with Trappings, ASL and Stream of Decay
3 Beasts of Nurgle

40 Models and 2251 points. Pretty powerful as well.

BigbyWolf
02-05-2010, 20:49
Here's a wacky 2k High Elf list as my suggestion:

Prince- Star Dragon, Lance, Armour of Caledor, Vembraces of Defence, Talisman of Loec- 616
Caddy- 150

15 Spearmen- Full Command- 160
15 Spearmen- Full Command- 160

6 Tiranoc Chariots- 510
4 Repeater Bolt Throwers- 400

Spearmen protect the Bolt Throwers, Bolt Throwers pepper the enemy from afar, Dragon and Chariots pick targets and combo charge.

You can probably tell I'm not a High Elf player! ;)

Roarschach
03-05-2010, 14:58
I'm not very good at painting up large units of Infantry. I'm just not commited enough to painet everyone uniformly. So I was wondering, out of curiosity and the possibility for a new army, which Races and what specific style with that race would result in a small amount of Models actually on the battlefield?

Yes, this isn't for a tournament - I realise flanking would be a problem in a competitive environment. Also, my first thoughts are a Cavalry Force or an Ogre army maybe. I'm not all-knowledgeable though, so any info would be really helpful. Thanks for reading.

I tried Ogres once, but I was disappointed to find out that they are not very fun to use, at least in my opinion. The only things I like are the models and the magic. The magic is actually the reason I chose that army, but you end up having only two types on infantry, gnoblars, and the different types of ogres whose only real differences are s/ws/w changes and sometimes equipment. You have ogres, greatweapon ogres, cannon ogres, and pirate ogres, thats your army. So until the next ogre armybook, go for chaos knights or something. But I saw on the front page the new ogre magazine thing has come out, so take a look and decide for yourself, just make up your mind for sure because you may find out that you don't like them only after you buy 200$ is models.

Demrog
04-05-2010, 15:16
All mounted WoC army, 2250pts, 46 models.

Sorcerer Lord = 390pts
Level 4, MoTzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Spell Familiar, Bloodcurdling Roar.

Chaos Sorcerer = 206pts
Barded Chaos Steed, Level 2, MoTzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection.

Chaos Sorcerer = 206pts
Barded Chaos Steed, Level 2, MoNurgle, Dispel Scroll x2.

Warhounds of Chaos x5 = 30pts

Warhounds of Chaos x5 = 30pts

Marauder Horsemen x5 = 96pts
Flail, lt armour, MoSlaanesh, Musician

Chaos Knights x5 = 295pts
Mark of Nurgle, Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage

Chaos Knights x5 = 280pts
Mark of Nurgle, Standard, Musician, Rapturous Standard

Chaos Knights x5 = 290pts
Mark of Tzeentch, Standard, Musician, Blasted Standard

Dragon Ogres x3 = 231pts
Great weapon

Total 2246pts

This is what I've been using while ive been learning the army... quite effective so far

Orktavius
06-05-2010, 05:55
surprised no one pointed out that the ogre list that was posted is an illegal list as a butcher can't be the general of the army. Needs a bruiser or a tyrant in it. That being said, it's my opinion that the ogre models are quite cool looking