PDA

View Full Version : Troll and Giant Slayers

Vulcan7200
29-04-2010, 07:06
So I recently started playing Dwarves, and haven't really tried the Slayers out yet. Lore wise, they seem like one of the most interesting units for Dwarves, and stat wise, Troll Slayers aren't too shabby for their point cost. Giant Slayers though, I can't seem to wrap my head around. They seem rediculously expensive, for what they do, and not really worth the points.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice, on how to really make use of Troll Slayers in the army, or if Giant Slayers have any real use?

phoenixguard09
29-04-2010, 07:21
A friend of mine runs his Slayers 30 strong, 15 wide with the front rank almost exclusively Giant Slayers.

He uses them as a mobile (barely :D) terrain piece, anchors his army quite well and with the extra attack of the Giant Slayers can pack a nasty punch against anything stupid enough to charge them.

His win loss record however is pretty poor though...

santso
29-04-2010, 10:29
hmm ive seen units of 10 giant slayers used as tarpits(front line is 1 giant slayer and rest form 9extra ranks, so enemy gets in contact with only 1 slayer a time and in every combat phase you shout for challenge with 1 slayer:))

happy_doctor
29-04-2010, 11:13
Giant slayers as a stand-alone regiment are not cost-effective, nor is buying an entire rank of them. Here's my experience with them:

-If you're using the slayers as a tarpit, then buying one or two of their champions means that dragons and the such will think twice before charging in (since your giant slayer will soak up most of the damage, leaving his mates to take care of the dragon next turn).

-If you're using the troll slayers agressively, then extra giant slayers are good for adding a couple of extra kills. Most people don't bother allocating attacks to champions, but in the case of a 7x2 troll slayer unit with 3 champions in the front rank, that could be a fatal mistake.

Ozorik
29-04-2010, 11:14
30 slayers with 3-5 giantslayers is about 350 points, thats far too much for a tarpit with limited offensive ability.

hmm ive seen units of 10 giant slayers used as tarpits(front line is 1 giant slayer and rest form 9extra ranks, so enemy gets in contact with only 1 slayer a time and in every combat phase you shout for challenge with 1 slayer:))

What an excellent player to come up with such an innovative tactic :rolleyes:

Slayers need to be kept in small units simply because they have a hard time actually winning combats and a unit of 10 functions perfectly well as a tarpit. Giant slayers should be avoided as they are expensive and don't fit the units role all that well. Dragon slayers are excellent, one of the best value choices in the book but they should always work alone to be of most use

Slayers are great and I always include a unit in my army but they are very much a support element rather than a mainstay.

happy_doctor
29-04-2010, 11:15
A couple of giantslayers will set you back 30 points (compared to their troll slayer counterparts) and usually help a lot both in terms of survivability and offensive power. I'm not saying they are the best thing since oxygen or chocolate cake, but they are worth a shot.

Lord Of The Night
29-04-2010, 14:28
I usually field my slayer in a block of 20 with 3 giant slayers I use them to anchor my force on one end of my line. I've had great success as they protect me from flank charges and my line being rolled up.

Ozorik
29-04-2010, 16:09
A couple of giantslayers will set you back 30 points (compared to their troll slayer counterparts) and usually help a lot both in terms of survivability and offensive power. I'm not saying they are the best thing since oxygen or chocolate cake, but they are worth a shot.

I'm not saying that they are bad but I don't think that they are worth 30 points. I would only ever include 1 (although I have never actually done this and I haven't missed him).