PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Challenges - Duel of Champions

Eternus
29-04-2010, 11:06
Has anyone tried this scenario yet? It appears in last months White Dwarf - the Blood Angels issue. I thought it sounded really good, very characterful, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Also, I'm going to be compiling all the Battlefield Challenges to keep as alternative battles to fight for Fantasy and 40K - why spend money on buying a book with new scenarios in it if Jervis is kindly giving them away for free!;) Although the hope is that we will get a raft of new scenarios in the new Rulebook in July anyway.

mrtn
29-04-2010, 18:49
I haven't tried it. My immediate reaction to the picture illustrating it (high elf vs doombull) was that it would be quite unfair, since minotaur characters are immune to killing blow.

snottlebocket
29-04-2010, 18:56
Obviously it's unfair. A lot of the characters rely on their army to fulfill their role. An empire captain that is great for giving leadership or flying his pegasus in support is useless at straight combat. A monstrous character that would rule in personal challenges might be a dud for supporting an army in need of help.

pointyteeth
29-04-2010, 19:12
I was at a tournament two weeks ago and this was the scenario for the last battle. It was quite casual, so my opponent and I decided to not play the scenario as it would have been instant death for whichever character I chose. I was playing WoC, my opponent was daemons. My character selections were level 4, or one of 2 level 2s. Not that it mattered as I was massacred anyways. :p

GitzBlasta
29-04-2010, 20:50
They did something similar years ago in White Dward but it was each army's nastiest special character. And a Bloodthirster.

The Bloodthirster won.

pointyteeth
30-04-2010, 01:17
They did something similar years ago in White Dward but it was each army's nastiest special character. And a Bloodthirster.

The Bloodthirster won.

I remember that, it was sweet! Didn't it come down to the Dwarf King and the bloodthirster in the end?

Avian
30-04-2010, 11:29
No, Archaon killed Thorgrim and then Archaon's Slayer of Kings killed Archaon in the final against the 'thirster. :D

~PrometheuS~
30-04-2010, 13:35
Pretty sure the final fight was between a kroak and the thrister

deathmaser snikch from skaven was 4th i think

Avian
30-04-2010, 22:24
Sorry, Archaon vs the Bloodthirster was one of the semis, the other one was Kroak vs Sniktch and then the 'thirster killed Kroak.
UKWD221

FORtheGREATERgood
01-05-2010, 13:00
Yea someone from my gaming group and I tried that and it didn't work out so well. [insert his well thought-out beefy character of doom] against my simple empire warrior priest with VHS (switch basic stat line)...last time we did that.

sssk
01-05-2010, 13:58
against my simple empire warrior priest with VHS

GAH! Every single time! Can we please find another abbreviation for van horstmann's speculum?

I keep coming across this, and every time I think: "what? is the warrior priest going to beat them round the head with a video machine? Or are they going to settle their disputes over a cup of tea and an episode of the crystal maze?"

(For those too young to know, before these "DVD" things came along, we watched films etc on "Video Home Systems")

Alltaken
02-05-2010, 19:46
I'd had gone for a Oldblood on Carno really, that extra d3 wounds is so good in challenge

GitzBlasta
02-05-2010, 20:51
I'm pretty sure the final was Kroak vs the Bloodthirster and if I remember correctly it was Sniktch in 3rd. My old White Dwarfs are all in my mum's loft so I can't check!