PDA

View Full Version : Tomb king set up?

Mullitron
29-04-2010, 15:16
Recently found my old Tomb kings book and whilst brainstorming lists i couldnt see any obvious builds for tomb kings and princes. Are there any popular builds used by veteran tomb king players out there? The one i went for in the end was:

Tomb king
Light armor
chariot
enchanted shield
Crown of kings
sword of might
chariot of fire

Could the vet tomb king players please share their wisdom?

Dantès
29-04-2010, 17:27
The most competitive way to field a TK is probably: Destroyer of Eternities & Collar of Shapesh. Stick him in a unit of TG with the Icon Of Rakaph and you've pretty much got the optimal build.

Mullitron
29-04-2010, 17:33
Ok thanks, is it mainly princes taken on chariots then instead of kings? With the destroyer of eternities is it normaly better to make the normal attacks or the 'special' attack? Iam assuming the special attack?

Dantès
29-04-2010, 17:37
From what I understand, the special attack is your best bet. Most TK lists I see take a Tomb Prince with a unit of chariots, to make sure it keeps moving quick, and add some punch to it. Also, more often than not I see the Undying Legion banner on them, too.

meneroth
29-04-2010, 18:30
the three weapons used are the spear of an...something, the flail of skulls and the destroyer of eternities. the spear is just nice to keep units alive, the flail is usually put on a prince in a chariot to knock out giants and other big stuff and the destroyer of eternities does exactly what its name implies. its better against knights and heavy armored stuff though.

other things that are put on the king and prince usually are the collar of shapesh, the crown of kings, some like the chariot of fire, some like the cloak of the dunes and some like armor of the ages. all for various reasons. the collar gives a pretty darn good "ward" save without being a ward save so its pretty much unignorable. the crown of kings is expensive, but really draws out dispel dice. trick is you gotta have real good placement with the tomb king to really get the value out of it. The other three are kinda players preference, i dont care for either of the three on my princes or king.

Malorian
29-04-2010, 20:27
The most competitive way to field a TK is probably: Destroyer of Eternities & Collar of Shapesh. Stick him in a unit of TG with the Icon Of Rakaph and you've pretty much got the optimal build.

I completely agree.

This build is nasty and is what killed my vampire lord for the first time :cries:

Witchblade
30-04-2010, 01:59
The items you want to consider: flail of skulls, collar of shapesh, destroyer of eternities, 4+ ward thing, cloak of dunes.

The flail and the destroyer add otherwise-lacking hitting power to the TK army.

Mullitron
30-04-2010, 09:25
Ok thanks,so place king with tomb guard, with collar and a nasty weapon such as destroyer. A prince with chariot unit to add more punch and keep them moving. Iam guessing for hierophant keep it at the back in a unit but with flying or mounted incase it needs to get out of there and then maybe have another priest on casket?

EldarWonderland
30-04-2010, 10:55
TK,DoE,Collar or Cloak - use special attacks to ensure the hits - even a TK can fluff 4 attacks.

I used TK with Crown the other day for the first time. I had 2 priests as well and BoUL. The King was near to the SSC in his own unit of 3 archers. Drew dispel dice out like they were going out of fashion - made a big difference.

Enigmatik1
30-04-2010, 15:22
The Crown of Kings is an awesome item with one major drawback. It shares the same item category as the Golden Ankhra and the Collar of Shapesh. Having only one save on your characters is a bad look in 7E and by giving a Tomb King the Crown, all he has is an easily negatable Armor Save.

If you are intent on using the Crown of Kings, I would suggest pairing it with the Spear of Antarhak and either the Vambraces of the Sun or an Enchanted Shield to provide him with a bit more protection. Doing this, however, basically turns him into a Liche Priest who can fight back because you've sacrificed much of his killing potential to provide magical support to your army (while still keeping Core Chariots...yum).

Mullitron
30-04-2010, 19:43
The Crown of Kings is an awesome item with one major drawback. It shares the same item category as the Golden Ankhra and the Collar of Shapesh. Having only one save on your characters is a bad look in 7E and by giving a Tomb King the Crown, all he has is an easily negatable Armor Save.

If you are intent on using the Crown of Kings, I would suggest pairing it with the Spear of Antarhak and either the Vambraces of the Sun or an Enchanted Shield to provide him with a bit more protection. Doing this, however, basically turns him into a Liche Priest who can fight back because you've sacrificed much of his killing potential to provide magical support to your army (while still keeping Core Chariots...yum).

Is it more popular for tomb kings players to take a king then over a high priest and then decide to make it a combat character or more of a support caster with the crown? Does the Golden Ankhra normaly go to the army hierophant? If not what protection is used to make sure it doesnt die?

meneroth
01-05-2010, 00:42
if someone takes a king it is almost always for the combat power. the high liche priest is the ultimate caster for the army, the crown cant come even close to matching him. I always run the HLP with the plaque of mighty incantations, the cloak of the dunes, and sometimes the golden ankhra. (sometimes i put the hieratic jar on him instead, but the plaque is pretty darn powerful, and can be used multiple times). The thing is that if he gets charged, hes gonna die against pretty much anything and with the cloak you should be able to avoid shooting so sometimes i run him without any protection, just be really careful about his movement.

Zoidia
02-05-2010, 07:09
the 2 best units i can think of in a tomb kings army is
4 chariots with a prince
prince gets the sword of sette
and the chariots have mirage standard
this is for taking out charactures

3 chariots with chariot
with chariot of fire to take out units by flanking
and the banner of the undieing to make even more annoying >:P

Mullitron
02-05-2010, 09:40
if someone takes a king it is almost always for the combat power. the high liche priest is the ultimate caster for the army, the crown cant come even close to matching him. I always run the HLP with the plaque of mighty incantations, the cloak of the dunes, and sometimes the golden ankhra. (sometimes i put the hieratic jar on him instead, but the plaque is pretty darn powerful, and can be used multiple times). The thing is that if he gets charged, hes gonna die against pretty much anything and with the cloak you should be able to avoid shooting so sometimes i run him without any protection, just be really careful about his movement.

Assuming the high priest was taken over the king with your setup (which i agree looks great) where would you position it? Do you keep it in a unit, or flying behind your lines? With 3 of the incantations only having a range of 12 iam assuming you cant keep it back on a hill unless playing defensively?

ftayl5
02-05-2010, 10:31
Yeah, due to the 'must be on foot' rule of the DOE, a tomb king in a chariot is a wasted opportunity, 2 tomb kings in one army is an even bigger waste.

The most common prince builds are chariot supporters:

LA, Shield, Chariot of fire

Nice save, somewhat cheap, adds a real good punch to a chariot unit and keeps it moving fast, flmaing impact hits will also deny any regen so chareg this guy (+ unit) into anything with regen for that added bonus and satisfaction.

I almost always play offensively, a tomb king on foot with CoS and DOE in 20 TG with icon of rakahp, supported by a few other skellies, ushabtis and 3 chariot units, it works... usually