PDA

View Full Version : Is 8th edition percentages and slots?

EvilIncarnate
29-04-2010, 14:33
Is 8th edition adding percentages on top of the slots for making our armies or dropping slots and making it percentages only? So, we have to have at least 25% and three core units now for armies.

Desert Rain
29-04-2010, 15:50
It's not clear at the moment whether the slots will remain or not. Unless I'm misinformed somehow.

fyedaddy
29-04-2010, 17:55
Does this mean that the unit requirements for each army would shift from the number of unit types (core, special, etc) allowed to a percentage of the total army cost instead?

Gaargod
29-04-2010, 18:15
Most likely answer: Yes, you have to use both. Otherwise, the big rulebook invalidates current army books. See the rumour roundup for more details on who said what.

Oh, and the problem isn't really core - if its 25%, you most likely already have 3 slots full at 2k. Its more to stop things like bolt thrower spam for O&G (what's that i hear? 50 odd bolt throwers at 2k?). It is however a shame, as it would be a nice to be able to take cheap heroes as sergeants for your units, and hopefully with the new books they will alter it a little, to allow you more freedom to choose stuff.

Urgat
29-04-2010, 19:08
Most likely answer: Yes, you have to use both. Otherwise, the big rulebook invalidates current army books. See the rumour roundup for more details on who said what.

The rumour also mentions an errata covering all armies to deal with any discrepancy. All it takes to fix that particular one is "ignore the army composition page for books published before the 10th of july 2010" or something like that. Not very difficult to deal with, isn't it?

Oh, and the problem isn't really core - if its 25%, you most likely already have 3 slots full at 2k. Its more to stop things like bolt thrower spam for O&G (what's that i hear? 50 odd bolt throwers at 2k?). It is however a shame, as it would be a nice to be able to take cheap heroes as sergeants for your units, and hopefully with the new books they will alter it a little, to allow you more freedom to choose stuff.

Avoiding that kind of spamming is certainly a major thing, but I hope they will introduce a more elegant solution than slots, really.

Maoriboy007
29-04-2010, 19:34
[QUOTE=Urgat;4617722]The rumour also mentions an errata covering all armies to deal with any discrepancy. All it takes to fix that particular one is "ignore the army composition page for books published before the 10th of july 2010" or something like that. Not very difficult to deal with, isn't it?/QUOTE]

Why didn't they just use the errata sectiona s a fix for the army books? Would have been better than the whole percentage thing IMO.

Tenken
30-04-2010, 08:09
I really hope not. Except for lords. Some armies (empire, skaven, O&G) could probably fit 2 lords into 2.5k points fairly easily, while others will be struggling to fit 1 lord and a hero (lizardmen, vampires, daemons, WoC, ogres). Though hero sergeants would be super cool. I want to do an empire crusader army with warrior priest sergeants leading the majority of the units.

Though things like the bolt thrower spam would be a problem. Then again, you'd have to BUY 50 bolt throwers to field them, so yeah, there is that as a deterrent.:p

Urgat
30-04-2010, 08:13
[QUOTE=Urgat;4617722]The rumour also mentions an errata covering all armies to deal with any discrepancy. All it takes to fix that particular one is "ignore the army composition page for books published before the 10th of july 2010" or something like that. Not very difficult to deal with, isn't it?/QUOTE]

Why didn't they just use the errata sectiona s a fix for the army books? Would have been better than the whole percentage thing IMO.

Slots aren't balanced to begin with, so I'm happy they'd go to be replaced by percentages.

Though things like the bolt thrower spam would be a problem. Then again, you'd have to BUY 50 bolt throwers to field them, so yeah, there is that as a deterrent.:p

Yeah, to be honest, it's already possible to field 8 spearchukkas easily with OnG in 2k, and how often do you see that?

sorberec
30-04-2010, 09:55
Yeah, to be honest, it's already possible to field 8 spearchukkas easily with OnG in 2k, and how often do you see that?

Probably not as often as you should if the OnG player actually wants to hit anything :)

Col. Dash
30-04-2010, 12:40
Bolt throwers are easy to make with tooth picks and popcicle sticks :) I have a feeling the slot thing will still be in use. I believe in 2k I figured the points and I thought it was 33 bolt throwers in 2k points and still have room for a well equipped character to lead and 200ish goblins depending on what you give them.

Stuffburger
30-04-2010, 13:50
The only reason you never see 8 bolt throwers is because we want to take some chariots and boar boyz too. Slots are currently the main limitation for O&G as many of our rare and special choices are extremely cheap (70 points/ 2 spear chukkas, 60 point wolf chariot, etc.) I really hope they don't remove slots entirely as it will allow for some really evil builds with O&G and others.

Grimstonefire
30-04-2010, 13:59
From what I understand, the lord/ hero slots limit is indeed gone. So you can have a lord level character leading your 750pt army etc if you want (within 25%). You wouldn't have any other characters, and he may not have any points for magic items, but it could be done.

I'm not sure about core to be honest. My gut feeling is that the number of minimum core units is gone. So people can merge all their core units into one uber unit if they want to, as long as in total it is 25%+. It would be easy to avoid though, and take massive casualties from warmachines and spells, and in an objectives game it would mean you'd be secure on one objective but missing out on others.

Plus you won't have the ability to combine with a flank attack etc. If I am right about this, it will be interesting to see how people play it, combining units to reduce them (and take fewer panic tests for instance, if they became stubborn), or go with MSU.

In terms of 'slots' throughout the rest of the list, I believe there is definitely something in there specifically to prevent spamming by type or by number. My guess would be by type (as it scales better), so you can't take too many war machines for instance.