PDA

View Full Version : First High Elf list: Army of Caledor - 2K

Spiney Norman
29-04-2010, 16:11
Ok, here goes, this is designed with the 8th Edition rumours in mind

Characters
Noble
barded steed, dragon armour, shield & Lance (Army general), Joins Dragon princes

Dragon Mage of Caledor

Core
25 High Elf Spearmen
Full command

25 High Elf Spearmen
full command

Special
6 Dragon Princes
full command

8 Shadow Warriors

Tiranoc Chariot

18 Phoenix guard

Rare
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle

I'm aware that depending on how stringent the % limits are and which version of the % rumours you're working from the special section might be illegal, but I'll have to figure that out when I actually see the book.

Feel free to leave comments and criticism, but please note, that whatever happens the dragon mage stays.

Jon

D'Haran
29-04-2010, 17:01
Is this suppose to be a list for 8th edi? You don't actually come out and say it but your closing remarks sound like that's what you intended...

Assuming that's what it's for I'll not criticize your list based on 7th and just say it's too early to know what to do with HE as they're getting the shaft with magic and ASF, which is why they're signed up for one of the first new rulebooks. So at least until then it looks like good hunting.

<Edit> I meant pdf files, not rulebooks, sry for the bad comm.

Spiney Norman
29-04-2010, 22:22
Is this suppose to be a list for 8th edi? You don't actually come out and say it but your closing remarks sound like that's what you intended...

Assuming that's what it's for I'll not criticize your list based on 7th and just say it's too early to know what to do with HE as they're getting the shaft with magic and ASF, which is why they're signed up for one of the first new rulebooks. So at least until then it looks like good hunting.

HE one of the first new books? Are you sure? I thought it was widely thought that the next 3 would be Tomb Kings, Ogres and Orcs and Goblins (not necessarily in that order)?

HE are way down the order for a new book

Nocculum
29-04-2010, 23:00
Hello Spiney. Whilst it's difficult to assess the effectiveness of a list based on rumours, I'll try to keep the intended critique in mind. It's a relatively good list as is, and something that could work in 7th edition gaming with the right movement decisions and of course, the right tactics. That being said, a few slight adjustments could optimise it that little bit more. It would also be good if you could specify which variant of the percentile chart you're using for the purpose of creating this army list?

Characters

With the new percentages in mind, characters become a rarity, and ultimately, they become a key part of the army strategy. You have severe limitations on the choices available, so you will ultimately have to make sacrifices. If the 3,000 benchmark becomes reality, we can expect 2,000 point games to become the new 1,500, and so on and so forth. From a quick glance, we can see that you have chosen to bolster your hammer unit, and provide both a monster, and an effective yet balanced magic phase for your characters slots, so I will keep that in mind.

Noble
barded steed, dragon armour, shield & Lance (Army general), Joins Dragon princes

Minimalism at it's very heart. There's nothing needed here, as he has a 1+ save, and offers Leadership 9. Simple, clean, effective.

Dragon Mage of Caledor

Nothing out of place here, either. Without items you might suffer, but he has the bonus dice generation, the additional combat hammer and of course, he's a psychology bomb all in one (with 8th edition changes kept in mind, he will add +2 to CR, so the Dragon Mage can double as a small unit hunter with greater efficiency).

Core
25 High Elf Spearmen
Full command

25 High Elf Spearmen
full command

Solid core block to begin with. With no characters in the units you have to ask if the presence of champions is worth the points. They're not tragically expensive, no, but if you can gleam 110 points or so from the list you can take an extra unit, or a chariot, or archers and so on etc.

Special
6 Dragon Princes
full command

For this points size, and with 8th kept in mind, remove a single Dragon Prince. With the noble, the unit is 6, and with the changes to Heavy Cavalry, the unit needs to be kept in a ruly shape.

8 Shadow Warriors

Far too large. 5 is the optimum for harassment units, 6 at a push. This should, at this point in time, give you enough points to upgrade the Tiranoc Chariot to a Lion Chariot should you wish. Whilst it's not Caledor, neither is Tiranoc :shifty: With the STR7 clause removed in 8th, the Lion Chariot becomes a very potent +1CR hammer all of a sudden and the model is exquisite. You could always use the saved points elsewhere, the choice is yours.

Tiranoc Chariot

See above.

18 Phoenix guard

Given the fairly aggressive nature of your army, I'm not entirely sure what the Phoenix Guard are doing here. They seem out of place, especially without command, a character to support them, or magic to bolster their anvil ability. I'm not saying remove them altogether, by all means, but look to White Lions if you have them available, as they're more in keeping with the forward feel of your list.

Rare
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle

This is permissible and acceptable and workable, with the lack of archers. I'd always recommend another Eagle, but that's based on points. They are invaluable at 50 points each. I hope this is food for thought at least, please feel free to ask me to elaborate or the like.