PDA

View Full Version : My First Wood Elf List

Jazzmo
29-04-2010, 16:28
Hey this is my first shot at a wood elf army list :)

Wood Elf Highborn with a shield, Daith's Reaper, Amber Pendant, and Briarsheath
Wood Elf Noble with Wild Rider Kindred, the helm of the hunt, spear of Twilight, and riding an elven steed
Wood Elf Noble with Waywatcher Kindred, an additional hand weapon, the Bow of Loren, and a Biting Blade
Spellsinger upgraded to level 2 wizard with Glamourweave Kindred, Calaingor's Stave, and either another Briarsheath if i can do that or just a Talisman of Protection ( same points value )
2 units of 10 Glade Guard with a musican and champ in each
A unit of 14 Eternal Guard full command with the magic banner Saemrath-the Banner of the Zenith
A unit of 8 Dryads with a Branch Nymph
A Unit of 13 Wild Riders of Kurnous with full command and a war banner
And a unit of 10 Waywatchers

The lord is gonna b my general and b with my Eternal Guard unit, the waywatcher hero will b with my waywatcher, the wild rider hero with my wild riders, and my spellsinger will b alone but in the back protected by my dryads as much as possible. Plz let me know what u think, but b gentle it is my first time making a warhammer fantasy list and its alot different then 40k which im use to :)

the eater of pie
29-04-2010, 17:32
Well first of all, welcome to fantasy :P

the highborn's items seem a little random. I usually go for a wardancer highborn with blades of loec, amaranthine brooch and an annoyance of netlings. This guy gets 5 or 6 attacks (depending on what dance you use), a 3+ ward save, gets hit on 6's in a challenge (which he should be doing alot of), gets magic resistance (1), immune to psychology and can use shadow dances.

I'm not sure what you meant your lord to do, but it seems you wanted something that can churn out alot of kills and also has a bit of protection, which is what my build does, basically.

As for the waywatcher noble, he is probably going to spend most of the game hiding and sniping, so the CC items aren't very efficient. Also, you cannot benefit from the lethal shot rules whilst using a magic bow, so in using the bow of loren you are losing your killing bow. I myself prefer alter nobles to waywatchers, but if you are dead set on using one, maybe consider giving him hail of doom arrow, for a particulary deadly shoting phase, possibly on turn one, hopefully causing an early flee off the board.

The Wildrider noble seems fine, pretty standard, with some nice potential.

The spellsinger looks a little confused, like the lord. If they are a glamour weave they must ride a steed or stag. But to be honest it's not really worth it. lose the glamourweave and stick it behind some cover or in a glade guard unit. the dryads will wanna get stuck int combat anyway, so it's not best to put your only spellcaster in there. Your spellsinger shouldnt be getting attacked alot, and even if they are a 6+ ward isn't going to do wonders. I suggest dropping the talisman and maybe replacing it with a Dispel scroll.

If you want a hero with your dryads then i suggest a level one branchwraith with a cluster of radients, giving you a relatively nice combat hero, which generates 2 dispel dice.

Your core looks fine. I personally run another unit of dryads and some glade riders instead of the eternal guard, but they are still good. And as you have no other big things, they may serve as a decent anvil. It's merely preference. though i chose to never get any as they would have cost me alot, but the models are nice.

I would drop the waywatchers down to about 5-6, same for the wild riders. saving you quite alot of points. If you decide to go with my lord, use the points to grab a unit of 7-8 wardancers for him to party with. If not, then maybe think about some more wild riders, an eagle, treeman or glade riders/dryads.

Anyway, you have the basics down, just need to snip the elite units down and add more. wood elves focus on having multiple small units (MSU). And reworking some of your item choices on the heroes. You will work out what items work together and what dont after some games. And apart from that, its all down to personal choice :)

i hope i helped. I've recently got back into my WE army :)

Cheers,
the eater of pie

Jazzmo
29-04-2010, 18:00
Cool thank u sooooo much dude

Ill mess with my list a bit and repost what i changed
Again thank u for ur help, i like just started learning fasntasy and i love the wood elves they r so BA!!!

What colors do u use for ur wood elves just wondering?

the eater of pie
29-04-2010, 19:57
You're very welcome.

haha yeah wood elves probably have some of the coolest models and are just awesome fluff and playstyle wise.

i have a winter themed army, but only a few models are painted up, and aren't very well painted as i started them a few years back. I promptly stopped playing them, due to quiting the game. then started playing again, but went to WoC and Vampire Counts. however i couldn't stay away from them, and i will probably start painting them soon. Basically only chose winter because of some crazy convertion ideas i had.

cheers,
the eater of pie

Nocculum
29-04-2010, 22:49
Hello there, firstly, welcome to the Kindred, Brother! Secondly, I've not read any of the other comments in the thread thus far, so as to keep any influence to a minimum - if anything is repeated, I can only apologise, but on the other hand, this mean's I'm right! :D Anything below is a suggestion, so please take it as just that, and not gospel. Everyone has their own unique style, gaming environment and approach to the game, so whilst I try and keep it balanced and an open mind in check, it might not suit your idea of the Asrai - don't be afraid to stick to your guns.

The first thing I notice about the Highborn is that he's not really doing anything a cheaper Noble build could do better. Daith's Reaper is an effective weapon against certain foes, but is ultimately let down by the lack lustre STR4 and the lack of modifiers this has on heavy duty armour. Amber Pendant on the other hand makes an interesting combo, and the Briarsheath allows the Highborn to get into combat quicker, although without a kindred, he would take an extra turn or two - or he could simply be part of a unit, to remove the chance of him being shot.

Traditionally, I'd recommend either the standard Amber Pendant, Great Weapon, Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins, with whatever protection you can afford with the remaining points. Or, on the other hand, you could go with the Great Weapon, Altar Kindred machine hunter.

For your list, with edits intended, I'd drop the Highborn altogether and take a noble as follows:

Noble
Altar Kindred, Light Armour, Shield, Great Weapon
Glamorweave, The Helm of the Hunt.

Just as effective, and transfers generalship to your Wild Rider noble to give the unit a stoic stance against fleeing. He can cover your backside against opposing fast cavalry, flyers such as harpies and especially chariots or other small targets. Glamorweave protects him against missiles and magic missiles, with a slight hint of combat protection, and Helm of the Hunt gifts him with 5 STR6 WS7 attacks on the charge, which is not to be sniffed at and is considerably cheaper than a Highborn, for not much reduction in effectiveness.

Wood Elf Noble with Wild Rider Kindred, the helm of the hunt, spear of Twilight, and riding an elven steed

With the movement of the Helm of the Hunt to the Altar noble, you have points spare here to replace it with. Protection is the way to go, for sure, although you could also consider a small Enchanted Item, or simply go light. The Spear is great though!

Wood Elf Noble with Waywatcher Kindred, an additional hand weapon, the Bow of Loren, and a Biting Blade

I assume this Noble will join Waywatchers, and the Bow of Loren is fine applied in this manner. Due to the fact that he is a noble, however, he cannot combine it with Arcane Bodkins and his shots arn't as numerous. Instead, I'd consider the Scout Kindred, and give him the Hail of Doom Arrow (same effect more or less) and leave the last 20 points spare for more troops. Keep this guy in the woods and he can support where needed out of sight.

Spellsinger upgraded to level 2 wizard with Glamourweave Kindred, Calaingor's Stave, and either another Briarsheath if i can do that or just a Talisman of Protection ( same points value )

Wood elf spellsingers are horrendously, horrendously expensive. Mortifyingly so when maximised. This is why I'm going to suggest that, since you have only the one, you either replace the Hail of Doom noble altogether with a Branch Wraith, with Level 1 Upgrade and Cluster of Radiants, or remove Glamourweave Kindred, mount and Briarsheath from this spellsinger, and keep her Level 2 with the Stave alone. This will allow 4 single dice castings of Treesinging, and also free up enough points to combine with the above savings, to get a whole new unit!

Smashing, may I suggest you remove the Lord's Bowmen, however. They are typically useless, and net you another model.

A unit of 14 Eternal Guard full command with the magic banner Saemrath-the Banner of the Zenith

Without a noble to lead them, they are ineffective, at least in my experience. I would utilise the points to by Wardancers, if you have more, and any points remaining should be spent on expanding other units. 2X 8 Wardancers are very effective in 2-2250.

If you switch to the Branch Wraith, keep the Nymph, if not, remove her.

I can see the point in this, but I would personally take a unit of 6, and a unit of 7, and put the noble in the one with the Warbanner.

Absolutely 100% split this into two units of 5.

Jazzmo
30-04-2010, 05:26
Thank u for ur help, u guys have alot of really good ideas and cool combos
i think im gonna do that noble alter kindred combo i like the way it sounds

wow yeah i have a lot of fixin to do with my list, ill post the changes as soon as i get a chance to.

And again thank u for all ur help, it was my first time posting a list too :)

santso
30-04-2010, 08:04
er u cant give helm of the hunt to your wild rider noble, its not light armour and kindred says only spears/light armours no other type of magical weaponry/armour.

unit of 13 wild riders is bit random too, its not as resilient as heavy cavalry of other races and loses its ability to move fast on board.
i'd suggest 1 unit of 5 wild riders(musician/standard bearer/champion) where you can put your noble, and other size of 6 with warbanner, musician and standard bearer.

and where is your treeman?:)

hmm and highborn...wardancer one is suggested, its good combo though but i personaly like alter highborn with bow of loren, enchanted shield,glamourweave,arcane bodkins, great weapon and light armour.

xXBrentXx
21-01-2011, 18:56
Your a foool mark !!!!!!!!!

AM1640
21-01-2011, 19:29
Hi, I have a very shooty wood elf army that has worked well for me.
"Wood Elf Noble with Waywatcher Kindred, an additional hand weapon, the Bow of Loren, and a Biting Blade" I would change this to an alter kindred highborn with the bow of loren and arcane bodkins. For protection I give him the Glamourweave and avoid combat. This build can move 9" and shoot 30" hitting on 2+ with 5 shots and no armour save. You don't need to scout. Use him to target enemy knights.
Important tip: great weapons make you strike last. As an elf your T is 3. If you don't have a good ward save your expensive character will be dead before he strikes.
I would advise a Level 3 Spellweaver so you have access to Lore of Life or Beasts. Both are vastly better than Athel Loren. An increase in T (Flesh to Stone) to your troops is far better than moving a forest a few inches. You can't duplicate magic items in an army.
8th Ed WFB is all about troops and surviving combats. Dryads are good with Init 6 but I would try and take more of them. Somebody suggested a treeman. You can try one, and they are good but they are not mandatory. I would also suggest more EG. Drop some wild riders and use them(5) for war machine hunting.
I agree with splitting or removing some of the waywatchers. A unit of 10 is too expensive and unwieldy to deploy and hide. I use mine in a unit of 6. It is big enough to cause the opponent to think about them but not too big that when they die I lose the game. Have fun.

thesheriff
21-01-2011, 19:54
Hey this is my first shot at a wood elf army list :)

I woudl keep Daiths rapier. Then give him either Armour of Destiny and shield, or Armour of Silverd steel and luckstone. Makes him alot more defensive.

He's alright. But alot of points for something that coudl be usful

Give him either hunters talon, Starfire arrows or hail of doom arrow instead of bow of loren

Cant have brairsheath. Wizards cant take magic armour. And, lv.2's aint that good. Consider a lv.4 basic for dispel bonuses and better lores (life probably)

Good

Good. Small and condensed works best

Pointless. Tough but true

Pointless when for the points you could have how many treekin or eternal guard?

Big death :p. Might as well split them and deploy them toghether or seperatly for extra targets. And, there role is to be annoying.

The lord is gonna be my general and be with my Eternal Guard unit, the waywatcher hero will be with my waywatcher, the wild rider hero with my wild riders, and my spellsinger will b alone but in the back protected by my dryads as much as possible. Pleasez let me know what you think, but be gentle it is my first time making a warhammer fantasy list and its alot different then 40k which im use to :)
This might just be me, but your not texting. Try not to use text language, as it makes it hard to skim read your ideas. But in esence, everything makes sense. Be warned, just beacsue you can take a load of charecetrs, most armies get along with 2 or 3 (combat general or lv.4, bsb is what i form my charecters around). Remember, points saved is more treekin :D

thesheriff

popisdead
21-01-2011, 23:38
Generally for Wood Elves a good starting point for character selection is a lvl 4 w/ Wand of Wych Elm, Lore of Life, and a Noble BSB w/ either the Razorbanner and Annoyance of Netlings or the 2+ armour in the Rulebook.

Then buy Glade Guard, try to get 20-30 in either units of 10, 20 or 30. I personally like a horde of 30, but 2-3 units of 10 combining shots is effective.

Dryads should be a couple units at about size 12, running them 6 wide.

6 Treekin are the power Wood Elf unit at the moment. They can be healed well with Lore of Life, hit hard, and are tough to crack with T5, 4+/5+ save.

If you don't own Eternal Guard, they aren't going to accomplish with the current points value they have.

You don't need to buy champions for most units, maybe just the Glade Gaurd to protect the heroes in the unit.

Wild Riders are fairly good this edition (10-12 on their own are great, adding a hero is good too), but Waywatchers are very very poor for their points cost.

Hope that helps :)

Anarkky
22-01-2011, 14:49
Sorry if any of my points sound redundant.

First thing, where is your Alter/Hailofdoom noble? Isn't that a WE standard.

14 Eternal guard are useless even with a noble in them. Sure they'll be stubborn but they'll be out numbered by most other armies. Not to mention as soon as they become a target to ranged you will not have a unit of them anymore.

Get a Branchwraith.

Treekin > Eternal Guard. In my opinion they're also better then Wildriders, but I don't want to start that debate.

Too many Waywatchers.