PDA

View Full Version : Warband Problems and Pitfalls?

Malorian
29-04-2010, 18:54
So a friend of mine wants to try a Warband campaign and after reading over the rules it seems pretty interesting.

What I'm wondering is which of you Warseerites have played this before and how did it go for you?

Is there any problems or pitfalls with the system that you could give us newbs a heads up on?

Did you do anything differently to make it better?

And finally would it work with only 2 people playing, or do you really need 4+?

bludsturm
29-04-2010, 19:02
The group I play with tried it out (with 500-point warbands, no rares allowed), but it got way too wacky way too quickly.

Two players had skink-heavy Lizard lists. Two players had dark rider/shades DE lists. They dominated every game (with DE coming out on top over the skinks, all in all). It was the opposite of fun for those of us not playing either of those armies.

Also, you may want to consider - if you're using the hero abilities part of the rules - to trim down some of the possibilities of some attributes. 'Trickster,' for example, offers (I think?) the ability for the whole army to stand and shoot no matter how close a charger is (most of the hero abilities affect only the hero and the unit he's with).

Urgat
29-04-2010, 19:02
Well, I haven't played it, but there is no doubt that this kind of rules are much more fun when you got at least 3 or 4 players joining in :)

Malorian
29-04-2010, 19:24
The group I play with tried it out (with 500-point warbands, no rares allowed), but it got way too wacky way too quickly.

Two players had skink-heavy Lizard lists. Two players had dark rider/shades DE lists. They dominated every game (with DE coming out on top over the skinks, all in all). It was the opposite of fun for those of us not playing either of those armies.

Hmmm the guy that wants to do this plans to use a skink heavy list :(

That does not bold well...

Croaker2
29-04-2010, 20:14
When we played warbands it got lopsided pretty quickly.
There are certain units and monsters that no other army will be able to deal with having only 500pts of troops.

kramplarv
29-04-2010, 20:24
S4 Wood elf archers come to mind...

Malorian
29-04-2010, 20:37
So is it really not worth playing then?

Rolo Ramone
29-04-2010, 20:55
Nooooo, thatīs not true. It depends if your playing group have the usual "***** inside". If you play Warbands you sould be sure to have a good time, because itīs easy for powergamers play with "überlists". But if you want to play with that kind of players (or if you have no choice) you always can put some homemade rules.

A good one of this rules is "No monsters of 4+ wound".

Warbands always worth playing.

rtunian
29-04-2010, 21:03
my problem with warbands is that it rewards winner too much, and loser too little.

okay, so you lose and your warband is wiped off the board (every unit killed or fleeing). now you roll recovery and... half of your army is dead. now, you have one side which has to replace half his army and one side that doesn't, and in addition, the side that doesn't have to replace half his army gets a boatload more points for winning by massacre.

so you get fewer points if you lose, and even fewer because you have to replace your dead warriors. this means that after a couple games, there can be quite a disparity between the top and the bottom.

Malorian
29-04-2010, 21:09
so you get fewer points if you lose, and even fewer because you have to replace your dead warriors. this means that after a couple games, there can be quite a disparity between the top and the bottom.

I was worried about just that too.

It seems every system I've seen where future points change based off who won or lost, and when it's the winner that gets more points, that it quickly breaks down as the winning side just wins easier.

Purhaps if we used the warbands system but switched who got what points, meaning that if you lsoe you get more points than if you win.

Maybe that would keep things fair and interesting.

outbreak
29-04-2010, 21:19
I'd personally look at mordheim over warbands. Gives you a more fun game imo

someone2040
30-04-2010, 01:41
I'd personally look at mordheim over warbands. Gives you a more fun game imo
Mordheim is a smaller scale game than Warbands, and has it's own problems. Especially when it comes to Elves, and warbands from different settings being balanced within their own settings.
So you either limit the factions so not all armies can play, or everything goes wild anyway. (Note, I love Mordheim. But do understand it has it's fair share of issues).

J.P. Biff
30-04-2010, 02:01
Warbands works, but it works like larger games of warhammer :P, in that if people want to abuse lists it will become lopsided.

As an alternative what my gaming group has done in the past is an "Army Builder." We start with 500pts (must be painted), and every two weeks we add 250 pts. (painted) We stopped at 2000pts and had a fully painted army which was great! The only rules we followed (other than the above) were:

- You must follow the army selection rules for core/special etc for the relevant size of the game being played (so we only got our fourth special and second rare in the last game)
- Only painted models may be used. If they're not, you play with a handicap
- Once a model is in, its in, you can't remove models
- The only thing that may be removed is a units options (so command, fanatics, magic items etc)
- Once you hit 2000pts one hero may be "upgraded" to a lord. (e.g. a skaven chieftain could become a warlord etc.) Then you may add another hero choice
- At the end whomever won the most games got to keep the opponents general as a trophy! (since we played skaven vs. goblins our general models weren't that expensive. Obviously if your general is going to be a slaan you might not want to have this :D)

ChaosVC
30-04-2010, 02:09
Nooooo, thatīs not true. It depends if your playing group have the usual "***** inside".

What if the whole group is moronic haha. I can tell you if you play anything short of FOR THE WIN, they call your game junkhammer.

Unfortunately the rules can be abused and people who wants to win bad will abuse it. House rules is a good idea to make things less wacky and if you can fix or change the reward system of the game, it would make it more fun. One way to fix the disparity is to not tax the loser for replacing his lose units. Probably, points awarded to winners are only use to add new stuff or recustomised their list and loser always get back what they have lost or anything along that line.