PDA

View Full Version : Death Corps of Krieg Help!!!

Trains_Get_Robbed
30-04-2010, 04:02
I have some questions regarding them and would apperciate any information about them.

Is there a new pdf/codex update to the Siege of Vrak's rules? Would it be acceptable to use a normal IG codex? Whats the difference between some of their units (such as cannons and leman russ tanks), as they seem to all look the same to me. Could one just buy normal IG tanks and cannons etc to fill out that aspect of Krieg?:confused:

This will be my first 40K army and I've saved up around $350-$400 (U.S) to buy a sizealbe force so my funds aren't too limted I don't think? Any advice on units and or HQs to take etc. . . would also be apperciated.:angel:

*Side Note* Wow, that was some iffy reff-ing, lazy defensive play and terrible shooting by Detroit :(. Just prepare for Sunday boys :evilgrin:!

trapper
30-04-2010, 04:39
Tanks are more or less the same for all IG armies, even if some have different patterns of tanks (small convertions if you want to stay with the fluff). Same goes for using the normal IG codex.

The only problem with the Death Korps of Krieg are, that unless Im remembering wrong, all the models are from forgeworld.

As far as what HQ and units, what type of army are you looking to make? All infantry with a few Leman Russ tanks in the back, a full mech company (with a transport for each unit), etc.

IcedAnimals
30-04-2010, 05:10
400$ buying forgeworld models? I would probably try something along the lines of spending 200 of it on DkoK infantry in firing position. Buy the HQ. Buy the commissar. Thats about 250. Then spend the next 150 on cheap chimeras and leman russ tanks on ebay. You can get a tank for about 10-15$ on there quite often.

I would say get the forgeworld models on ebay but for some reason people sell DKoK on ebay for more than buying direct from FW.

Your army will be your HQ, and you will be able to field 4 squads of mech veterans. Seems like a pretty good start to the army. Or you could drop one of the infantry squads to pick up some heavy weapon teams. I would probably go auto cannon or mortar teams but that is personal preference. (I would also pick up the heavy stubber teams instead of the auto cannons and just use them as counts as as i like the model more)

Unfortunately 400$ in 40k isn't going to get you a big army. Especially when buying forgeworld.

trapper
30-04-2010, 05:15
$200.00 would probably get about 30 infantry and a command squad. So thats 3 vet squads and a command squad, which is a good starting point for an army in chimeras, drop in a LR or two and that would work for a 1000-1500 point army.

Bunnahabhain
30-04-2010, 08:31
There is an update PDF for the Krieg list, it will arrive at some point, the FW website is being rebuilt, so downloads are currently hiding..

Yes, using the main guard codex for them is fine, and common.

A Forge world gaurd army is very, very expensive. $400 will only get you a whole one if with the help of " Flying Dutchman" ( 33-1) at the 3.20 an Newmarket races, or similar...

Mannimarco
30-04-2010, 13:16
FW guard armies are incredibly expensive but can be very rewarding if your a good painter and enjoying having people fawning over your models.

Using the guard codex is perfectly acceptable and indeed many people do it (as demonstrated by your previous topic) however the DKOK rules themselves are found in vraks 1 and 2 with an armoured company in vraks 3.

Many people will advocate using the guard dex and just building the same army you would with any other guard army but personally I dont see the point in this, what makes a DKOK mech vet in chimeras different from a cadian or catachan mech vets in chimeras for less than half the cost? Nothing.

The DKOK army is not mech vets, you can do it like that but if your going to the expense of collecting this incredibly rare army (in comparison to cadians and catachans) then it just seems right to use the rules for them as well, the DKOK is a relentless wall of infantry marching forward, completely uncaring of whether they live or die, a horde of infantry climbing over the corpses of their comrades with steely determination as their artillery rains down on the enemy, the forlorn hope charge of the death riders, the centaur mounted troops, the tunneling engineers with their melta armed breaching drill. This is the DKOK

AndrewGPaul
30-04-2010, 20:44
Many people will advocate using the guard dex and just building the same army you would with any other guard army but personally I dont see the point in this, what makes a DKOK mech vet in chimeras different from a cadian or catachan mech vets in chimeras for less than half the cost? Nothing.

The look of the army. Not everything needs a little rules 'bribe' to be worth doing. :)

trapper
01-05-2010, 03:35
Im with AndrewGPaul on that, I wasnt trying to advocate a mech vet army, it was more of a 'you have a smaller budget, here's what I think you could do with it' type thing. If he wants to start the army that is the fastest way to get about starting it. Down the road when he has more money to buy more infantry he can then swap the vets back into normal guardsmen and play that way (if he so chooses). But the big thing is that if he likes the models and the lore then go wild, use the normal guard dex or the special rules and play what makes you happy,

chaos0xomega
01-05-2010, 04:21
I dont think you have enough money to make a sizable force of DKoK. That will only get you a handful of squads. Its good if you're running mechvets, but that isn't a very fluffy DKoK force (and you cant use the DKoK army list for that).

Axel
01-05-2010, 08:05
Many people will advocate using the guard dex and just building the same army you would with any other guard army but personally I dont see the point in this, ...

the DKOK is a relentless wall of infantry marching forward, completely uncaring of whether they live or die, a horde of infantry climbing over the corpses of their comrades ...

The point in NOT using the DKOK army list is that the typical infantry model costs around twice as much as with the guard codex - without being twice as good.
If you want to play a "wall of infantry", you CANNOT use the DKOK codex as published by FW. You have to play them as elite infantry going tank or artillery heavy - or you will never win anything but the "best looking army" award - even in the most friendly games.

If you want them to play according to the background, go for the IG codex and just adapt it to your style.

That said, an infantry horde with FW models most certainly will cost you more then 3-400$ (alas). They are, however, imho the best looking infantry models around. I see my Krieg units as a miniature collection rather then an army.