PDA

View Full Version : IGN Top 99 Computer Games of all time

Cypher
25-05-2005, 10:44
Prepare to laugh, or cry, a lot.

The list starts here. (http://microsites.ign.com/kfc/top99games/10.html)

I mean, c'mon. Resident Evil 4 is the greatest computer game ever? :wtf:

While it is nice to see some titles getting recognition (especially a number of SNES games that would perhaps be considered obscure, if not brilliant) that list is a complete and utter joke, and Im sure anyone here could name a score of titles that deserve to be on that list.

Thoughts?

Rathgar
25-05-2005, 10:52
Oh dear...

No Thief, No BG, No civilization...

Rathgar is not impressed with that list. :mad:

Nice to see Castlevania in there tho :p

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 11:00
Any top computer games of all time that doesn't have Doom in the top 10 is not worth considering.

However, its a reader's list, so it never was anyway. I just wasted a minute of my life looking over that before spotting that flaw, you could have said Cypher.

Jedi152
25-05-2005, 11:04
pfft. As with all "OMG GREATEST X OF ALL TIME!!11!!111LOL1!!!!!", all the recent games that are the craze at the time get in.*

Resi 4, the greatest game of all time? ************. Splinter cell chaos theory? Please. No one will even remember it in 5 years.

Where are Doom, FFVII, tetris, super mario world, mario kart in the top ten? FFVII managed a paltry #29? Mario Kart didn't even make the top 100?

I dismiss this list as balls.

*My local radio station had a poll in '99 for the best music of the last 100 years. Guess what won? Correct! Robbie Williams' Millenium. :rolleyes:

Sai-Lauren
25-05-2005, 11:15
pfft. As with all "OMG GREATEST X OF ALL TIME!!11!!111LOL1!!!!!", all the recent games that are the craze at the time get in.*

Agreed. Should have been the 99 most popular games at this moment in time.

Where's the real greats, like Doom, Elite, Manic Miner, Pac Man and Space Invaders? How did all the EA Sports latest updates get in the list?

Eldacar
25-05-2005, 11:18
Rathgar is not impressed with that list.
Neither is Eldacar. :mad:

I object at the lack of decent games on that list.

RE4 the best? Um... no.
Splinter Cell Chaos? God no.

Where have all the good games gone?

Bubble Ghost
25-05-2005, 11:38
It's a mix of "how on earth..?" and some pleasantly surprising incluisions. Nice to see Chrono Trigger on there (how it got to 4th I don't know, but it's still bloody amazing) and Castlevania: SOTN getting some recognition, as well as Final Fantasy VI justly rated well above VII.

But for the most part the fact that Super Metroid is rated above Metroid Prime says it all. A bit of a pointless list.

Slazton
25-05-2005, 11:48
*glances at list*

This list should never be published or allowed space to breathe. Burn it.

No seriously its that pointless, at least it'll make a nice fire for a bout thre to five seconds pending on size of paper.

Wiseman
25-05-2005, 11:58
diddimz doesnt like list

Kargos Bloodspit
25-05-2005, 12:00
Not impressed at all. On the other hand, at least Zelda got 2 in the top 10...

plasmadaemon
25-05-2005, 13:32
Wha- no, i don't believe this! *runs of*

Doom
Mario
Tetris
Unreal
Unreal tournament
Metal gear 1

where are all these games? like, on the 599th and up place?
I think this list was made up by chavs and people in years 7.

Delicious Soy
25-05-2005, 13:43
I'll buy into the latest games are teh r0xxorz critique. Pardon my ageist tendencies, but it seems that this list was mostly constructed by 15 year olds who wouldn't know a megadrive (genesis) or SNES if it bit them in the butt.

Games that should've been in there or higher than what they were:

- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Command and Conquer or Red Alert
- Warcraft II
- Monkey Island Series
- Space/Kings Quest
- Doom/Doom 2
- Original Gran Turismo
- Earthworm Jim
- Mario 64
- Mario Kart 64
- NBA Jam (the original)
- NBA and Fifa '95
- Tetris
- Commander Keen (except Keen Deams. Obviously)
- Test Drive on commodore 64 (okay that ones just because I was six and repeadtedly drove of Cliffs :p)

plasmadaemon
25-05-2005, 13:58
Oh how could i forget Warcraft 2, it was my beloved.
Also, starcraft and diablo i think should be in the top 20.

Fusion
25-05-2005, 14:18
Where the hell is Sensible World of Soccer 96/97?

Clearly this list is flawed. In what other game can you coach Fulham from the 3rd Div through numerous seasons, dealing with injuries, financial worries and the like to win the Premier League? None! The game play is just so damned good.

Go SENSI!

lord_blackfang
25-05-2005, 15:03
Since we all appear to be listing our favorite games, what about Xcom 1-2, Ultima 6-7, Dune 2, Doom 1-2, Might&Magic 3-6, old LucasArts adventures like Monkey Island, X-Wing, Star Control 2, Chrono Trigger (oh wait, this one's actually on the list)...

x-esiv-4c
25-05-2005, 15:07
Where is civilization?? It's nice to see that Crono Trigger got the recognition however.

alterion
25-05-2005, 15:13
il2 sturmovik.. now that is a proper game.. resi 4 .. good but no1 would put it at no1 ... ikaragua? ... anyyway good to see2 zelda's in the top 10... you can't really do a top 10 list of all time because games are constantly changing to say say link to the past is a btter game than half life 2 or vica versa is unrealistic as they come from differnt timeframes when the expectations and graphics of games were different.. gaming is a constanly evolving genre.. howver i do have a suggestion.. the portent list of dar;n good games which we all should own.. begin sequence:

Lord Lucifer
25-05-2005, 15:16
X, you posted and didn't immediately ask why there is no Silent Hill presence?
For shame, x-esiv, for shame!

If they're going to have Resident Evil 4, they could at least put in the marvel of Silent Hill 2

But there's so many more classic games that should be there
Even the extremely crap by current standards, those with next to no graphics, but excellent playability... MINESWEEPER!
Lemmings, one called something like The Amazing Machine (dunno, was a lateral-thinking educational one that proved to in fact be extremely entertaining)

It's proved the readers are ****** with superiority complexes (read the comments, 'nuff said)

x-esiv-4c
25-05-2005, 15:18
*looks down in shame*

Seriously, where is Silent hill 2? Or Silent hill 4? Most of the games listed at either RPG's or button-jammers. What about the monkey island series?!

Kohhna
25-05-2005, 15:35
Sonic should be in there somewhere. Advance wars was too high up the list. None of the real old classics, didn't even see Tetris. Civ2 should definately have made the list, and does anyone else think putting Radient Silvergun in there is just showing off. Nights should have been in there too.

Sgt John Keel
25-05-2005, 17:35
[...] Original Gran Turismo[...]

Ah yes, that game. The greatest racing game ever made together with the original Wipeout.

And no DoW? :mad:

/Adrian

Zechs
25-05-2005, 17:59
Too many console games, and too few classic PC games. No Doom, Total Annihilation, Deus Ex, Undying, Monkey Island. But it's nice to see Grim Fandango and Knights of the Old Republic on the List.

x-esiv-4c
25-05-2005, 18:09
who actually compiled this list?

Sprue Rubbles
25-05-2005, 18:34
... I don't think I saw X-Com in there therefore the list is void.

Actually, it's interesting since the list is voted by the readers.

x-esiv-4c
25-05-2005, 18:46
....Actually, it's interesting since the list is voted by the readers.

Ahhhh that explains it then....

Odin
25-05-2005, 19:49
What? No Star Wars Battlefront?!? Actually, I think my favourite game of all time was Supercars 2 on the Amiga. Absolute classic.

Brush your teeth
25-05-2005, 20:16
thats a long list can't you just tell me weather star wars battlefront is there or not.

Brush your teeth
25-05-2005, 20:17
wait a mo. ignore the last message i've just read the one before.

Frodo34x
25-05-2005, 20:56
Some parts I agree with.

But.

The list still sucks.

Wraith
25-05-2005, 20:58
What the hell was that? Top 10 games my ****!

Frodo34x
25-05-2005, 21:08
Where was Deus Ex?
Where was Starcraft?
Heck, where was Counter Strike?

Delicious Soy
25-05-2005, 23:31
Yeah a few more should've beens:

- Civ II or III
- Total Annihilation
- Lemmings
- Anything from the X-Wing/Tie fighter series (you know before lucasarts became the biggest corporate whores this side of McDonalds)
- Duke Nukem 3D: Last of the great sprite based FPS's

Funny thing was, half the games there didn't really contirbute anything dynamic to gaming. For example instead of nominating Res4 why not Res2? It took the excellent concept of the first, and refined it into a true classic.

Brother Munro
26-05-2005, 00:27
- Total Annihilation

Seeing as how it is arguably the best RTS ever it really should be in there. A rather modern-centric list. Though Ocarina of Time is worthy, most worthy. :D

m1s1n
26-05-2005, 01:11
As I recall--
this list was actually compiled by IGN readers--not editors. Because of this it reflects popularity over substance. I'm sure everyone has noticed that (insert game here) is missing--a lot of that has to do with the fact that only the really popular games seemed to make it anywhere near the Top 50.

I think this is a perfect example as to why Top 100 lists should not be in any particular order--that way it becomes less upsetting to see where Legend of Zelda is in comparison. . .to everything else.

scottb
26-05-2005, 02:22
Looks at list. laughs..oh dear. No Elite,Lemmings, Dune 2 etc.

polymphus
26-05-2005, 02:40
Out of all the final fantasy games I've played three of them, #3, #7 and #8 and I can honestly say FF8 is the only one really worth mentionning and the only one not in that list! :mad: And why is Resident Evil 4 the best game? Although I note my favorite two games got the #3 and #7 slots :evilgrin: go stealth games!

Great Harlequin
26-05-2005, 07:02
Legend of Zelda beat Half Life 2 !?!

Excuse me while I hang myself out of disgust.

Snoozer
26-05-2005, 09:17
Where was Starcraft?

actually starcraft was number 74.

but, yeah it was pretty lame list.

Legend of Zelda beat Half Life 2 !?!

Excuse me while I hang myself out of disgust.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time should be first, it's the best game ever!!

Delicious Soy
26-05-2005, 11:03
I think this is a perfect example as to why Top 100 lists should not be in any particular order
Thats a good idea, but I think we can see through this list the massive influx of new gamers since the introduction of the 32 bit systems, namely the PSX. The X-box and PS2 only increased the speed of this change.

Riddy
26-05-2005, 12:46
Most of the games in the top 10 deserve to be in the list, just not as high, the Zeldas made it in, HL2 deserves to be in, as does MGS-3 and GTA:SA but maybe not in the top 10. How ratchet and clank made it into the top 20 will always be beyond me and both Metriod Prime and FF7, both deserving to be top 10, end up down in the high 20's. The list should be nuked from orbit, just to be sure :evilgrin:

Donut
31-05-2005, 04:19
How can I criticise thee? Let me count the ways.

*2 hours later

It does have some good points (yay for Grim Fandango), for most the part I came to the conclusion that those people who voted for it are deprived of classics like Lemmings.

Let us hold a moment of silence for these people, followed by mocking laughter.

Fusion
31-05-2005, 04:26
*holds Moment of Silence*

*Moment fo Silence escapes*

Anyhoo, Where's Falcon 3, for that matter? and Supaplex, man, that game was infuriating! :angel:

Jaq Draco
31-05-2005, 05:25
I'm just glad to see zelda and chrono trigger on the top ten list

*goes back to nintendo fanboy room*
:)

nevermore
31-05-2005, 07:18
Final fantasy10 is the best game ever and anyone who thinks differently is just plain wrong.

Secret of manna not even in the top ten?

Half life2 higher than FF7?

Any sports game allowed to exist?

This list is bulls**t. :mad:

DisruptorX
31-05-2005, 11:51
Final fantasy10 is the best game ever and anyone who thinks differently is just plain wrong.

:rolleyes: You realise that you are one of about 10 people worldwide who hold such a view. FFX isn't even the best final fantasy game, much less the Bbestest GAEM EVAR.

In any event, it could be worse, the list that is. I really do not think it deserves much discussion.