PDA

View Full Version : Planetstrike - worth playing?

IcedCrow
30-04-2010, 13:38
I am a long time player who has also been out for a long time and am returning with a 40k campaign this summer.

I was wondering if Planetstrike was worth looking into?

Dunklezahn
30-04-2010, 13:44
It's a fun little supplement in my experience, requires a bit of an investment in building/buying specific scenery like bunkers and what not but yeah, good fun.

It has a tendancy to get up close and personal even quicker than regular games due to the setups and reserves rules which tends to make for more fun if you plan to play one ahead of time as suddenly springing one on someone can lead to an army that is fighting a real uphill battle right from the start.

I personally enjoy the added strategy of deciding how to place your bunkers in order to make life difficult for the attacker :evilgrin:

jsullivanlaw
30-04-2010, 17:30
Honestly i have found most GW supplements to be kind of lame. However, planestrike is the exception. It is a well thought out supplement with really cool missions, a million times better than battlemissions. Just don't play it with a win at all cost player because the rules can be abused. Best supplement done by GW in my opinion.

IcedCrow
30-04-2010, 17:37
I am a campaign gamer. I cannot stand WAAC and it is why I left the hobby in the first place. The games around my area were all hyper competetive win at all costs, and I can't stand that.

When I'm watching grown men's face turn red and them throwing dice and cursing and having a tantrum because their little plastic men were supposed to hit 67.99343834% of the time but only hit 45.5991195% of the time and that they claim is why they are losing, I have to step back a little.

Nezalhualixtlan
30-04-2010, 18:14
I think it's a lot of fun, definitely worth looking into. Like anything, play with someone your going to enjoy playing with.

If both players are going WAAC, Planetstrike is still competitive and fun.

But it certainly doesn't have to be, and it provides for a rather different kind of game particularly between the cool new terrain kits and strategems.

It's an interesting diversion from the norm anyway.

susu.exp
30-04-2010, 18:24
Well, IMHO planetstrike can even be fun when itīs WAAC, because it is well balanced if it is played in the intended manner. The attacker getīs a lot of goodies and usually has the easier objective. This is offset by the defender setting up the terrain - and thatīs where PS can be fun even as a rather competitive game: Build a set of terrain, or even a themed table for a specific army and challenge anybody to take your castle - this getīs somewhat ruined if you play it with in-store terrain (there are going to be naysayers in this thread - this is warseer after all - and most bad PS experiences are down to terrain).
If you play narrative games it becomes even better though. So many options for heroic acts stopping the breach of the bunker line, or blasting through the defenders.

IcedCrow
30-04-2010, 18:48
Narrative is my style =) I'm all for that.

Nezalhualixtlan
30-04-2010, 19:34
Narrative is my style =) I'm all for that.

It lends very well to narrative games in my experience. I enjoy writing up battle reports for my games, and the planetstrike ones have been some of my favorites: (1 (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php/topic,86946.0.html) 2 (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php/topic,89283.0.html) for some examples on both offense and defense)

jsullivanlaw
30-04-2010, 20:13
I am a campaign gamer. I cannot stand WAAC and it is why I left the hobby in the first place. The games around my area were all hyper competetive win at all costs, and I can't stand that.

When I'm watching grown men's face turn red and them throwing dice and cursing and having a tantrum because their little plastic men were supposed to hit 67.99343834% of the time but only hit 45.5991195% of the time and that they claim is why they are losing, I have to step back a little.

Says the guy who has won 19,000 games and only had 1 loss. ;) It does not work with WAAC players due to the terrain setup rules in my opinion. People can do some really cheesey things as defenders if they really really really want to win. They could put impassible terrain around the objectives, or put some much terrain down that the attacker can't deepstrike ect. I wouldn't want to play in a planetstrike tournament unless the terrain deployment rules were changed.

scopedog91
30-04-2010, 20:32
Planetstrike model terrain is great.
The rules, like 90% of the GW supplements to 40K, is outright s##t.
I played 5 or 6 games, and it is always too easily going to make one of the two players quite angry.
I once rolled for about 12 pieplates to fall on the other guy, and the game was over in turn 2.
Save your money, and only buy the pretty terrain pieces...

susu.exp
30-04-2010, 20:45
They could put impassible terrain around the objectives, or put some much terrain down that the attacker can't deepstrike ect. I wouldn't want to play in a planetstrike tournament unless the terrain deployment rules were changed.

These options are offset to a large extend by requiring the defender to set up tightly and thus being more susceptible to bombardement. Impassable terrain can be circumvented by Skimmers, Jetbikes, Jump packs...
No change in the terrain deployment rules neccessary. Just add a soft score for the tables. I always though a "Bring your own board" PS torunament would be a fun thing to do. And a 4 games tournament in which you defend and attack twiche, once on your own and once on somebody elses table for both would balance this out.

orkz222
30-04-2010, 21:05
Yes, worth playing IMO. Some players may not like it as their stuffs die very fast. As mentioned above play it with people you enjoy gaming with.

hellhammer6
30-04-2010, 21:16
Its unbalanced and vulnerable to rules abuse - but a nice change of pace for a minute.