PDA

View Full Version : Slaaneshi Eldar

Major_Blackhart
30-04-2010, 20:46
Did a search on this, and from what I saw there was nothing recent, so please don't bite my head off if I simply did too broad or specific a search.

Anyway, with rumors coming to surround the Eldar and their dark bretheren, does anyone have any idea if there will be mentioning of these dark, evil, vile individuals in maybe an upcoming Dark Eldar or even an Eldar codex?

I ask because, from what could be model descriptions, Dark Eldar as a whole might be getting a redux in their models, and also even adding in a bit of fear regarding she who thirsts (though that depends on what those stones on their armor actually are, it's all rumor and conjecture at this point).

Anyway, if even the Dark Eldar fear Slaanesh (more so obviously than before, as they always feared and hated her), there might be a mention somewhere of those that don't fear her, or even embrace her. Whether they're on old crone worlds in the eye, or even within the city as a hidden cult, does anyone have any idea if there will be upcoming mentions or rumors regarding Slaaneshi worshipping Eldar?

technotemplar
30-04-2010, 20:53
Many people are unhappy about these rumors, and frankly I agree.

The Eldar should NOT be portrayed as in any way shape or form a Chaos race, the Dark Eldar do not intentional serve Slaneesh the way that, for example, the Word Bearers serve Chaos Undivided. Their actions may be pleasing to the dark god, but they are not done in worship, and its just the nature of the dark eldar. In fact, they despise slaneesh, and only feed it souls (as has been hinted at) to prolong their own lives.

In fact, I'd like to see the DE make some effort to kill Slaneesh if possible

inq.serge
30-04-2010, 20:57
There are rumors of a Dark eldar spec.Char that lets you play a slaaneshi dark eldar cult. But other then that, all eldar, both normal*, craftworld, harlequins† and exodites, hate and fear Slaanesh. The Dark eldar even sacrifice stuff all the times so that slaanesh would leave them alone for like 5 seconds or so.

*= Dark Eldar are the "normal" "original" "standard" "Plain" Eldar fluffwise, all eldar were like that from the start, but some fled and became exodites, craftworld eldar and harlequins, according to Asdrubadel Vect.

† Maybe not the solitaires, but, what ARE they afraid of anyway?

Max_Killfactor
30-04-2010, 22:43
There are rumors of a Dark eldar spec.Char that lets you play a slaaneshi dark eldar cult.

I believe that character was made up for the April Fools week day thread.

Still Standing
30-04-2010, 22:46
There are Slaanesh worshipping Eldar on the Crone Worlds within the Eye of Terror. These are Eldar who survived the Fall without getting destroyed. I assume they were Chaos worshippers before Slaanesh was born and switched over when he arrived. Realms of Chaos.

shabbadoo
01-05-2010, 03:37
Probably not the best of assumptions. There are varying degrees of the Sodom and Gamora type Eldar who simply did what they wanted to for their own pleasure, which birthed Slaanesh.

Some Eldar went to serve Slaanesh(or other Chaos gods) willingly, and still do. These are the Chaos Eldar.

Others were horrified by the idea of giving their wills/souls over to Slaanesh(or another Chaos god), yet still wanted to indulge their baser desires. These are the Dark Eldar.

Others were horrified by what they were responsible for and chose to walk a more pure path. These and many more Eldar who were wary of their baser desires and never, or never fully, indulged in such behavior left the Croneworlds to their fate. These are the Craftworld Eldar. The Exodite Eldar likely fit into this group too, though their purpose is to inhabit the Seed Worlds and be caretakers of them for the Eldar race.

Finally, there was one group of Eldar that sees even Craftworld Eldar as impure. The name of this Craftworld is mentioned in an older Eldar codex, but the entry is not very informative. It only stated that this Craftworld sees even other Eldar as impure, likely because they originated from a Crone World which saw no open indulgence of baser desires, or where such indulgences were not publicly tolerated to begin with. And so they formed built their own Craftworld and left. It is up to us to figure out why they have this view, though I am of the opinion that I am on the right track. ;)

carlisimo
01-05-2010, 03:41
There are Slaanesh worshipping Eldar on the Crone Worlds within the Eye of Terror. These are Eldar who survived the Fall without getting destroyed. I assume they were Chaos worshippers before Slaanesh was born and switched over when he arrived. Realms of Chaos.

Worshipers, or slaves?

shabbadoo
01-05-2010, 03:57
Is there a difference where the Chaos Gods are concerned? :p

Tokugawa100
01-05-2010, 05:05
Others were horrified by what they were responsible for and chose to walk a more pure path. These and many more Eldar who were wary of their baser desires and never, or never fully, indulged in such behavior left the Croneworlds to their fate. These are the Craftworld Eldar. The Exodite Eldar likely fit into this group too, though their purpose is to inhabit the Seed Worlds and be caretakers of them for the Eldar race.

It is up to us to figure out why they have this view, though I am of the opinion that I am on the right track. ;)

One thing though, why would the Craftworld Eldar be horrified for being "responsible" for the creation of SLaanesh.

The Craftworld Eldar fled the Empire as they were disgusted by the rest of their kin and foretold the dangers of what they were indulging into.

The Craftworld Eldar keep on the Path's because it distracts them from their true selves, they fear who they are and what they would become if they fell from the Path's.

They were completely innocent.

The rest of what you have said so far though I agree with everything you have said:D

Still Standing
01-05-2010, 08:55
They are not completely innocent. They walked away and did nothing while trillions of their fellow Eldar destroyed themselves.

Logarithm Udgaur
01-05-2010, 12:24
....according to Asdrubadel Vect.

Because if you cannot trust a sadistic megalomaniac, who can you trust?

Whether or not people like it, there are going to be Eldar that worship Slaanesh. The Eldar are not less susceptible to Chaos than other factions; if anything they are more susceptible due to their increased psychic nature, and their greater depth of emotion. Because the Dark Eldar (for whatever reason) seem to have lost their psychic abilities, I would say they are least susceptible, but even they are not immune.

Still Standing
01-05-2010, 12:29
In Realms of Chaos it is also stated that Eldar champions of Chaos are far more powerful than any other race.

SideshowLucifer
01-05-2010, 12:40
There was a list for the Eldar who worship Slaanesh in one of the old summer campaigns. I always felt that was the list that should have been called dark eldar from the beginning.

Mannimarco
01-05-2010, 13:13
that was the WHFB cult of slaanesh, those were dark elves

williamhm
01-05-2010, 16:44
that was the WHFB cult of slaanesh, those were dark elves

Would love to see rules for cult armies in 40k though. Maybe in a lost and the dammed book have a way to take fallen eldar as choices?

Partisan Rimmo
01-05-2010, 17:23
The Dark Eldar just want to slit your throat for your soul.

Their utterly materialistic and atheistic nature is one of their unique qualities as a race. They're the only race that has NO religion. Some people feel the need to desperately try and attach a god to these guys, but that's just totally unnecessary. They have drugs and fun and sharp knives. They mock you for worshipping your magic sky men.

Also, I'm pretty sure that any Eldar should directly worships Slaanesh would have his soul instantly eaten from the exposure, and that the Realm of Chaos information of how Eldar champions of the other three gods was now sort of ret-conned, since the other gods are a purely human phenomena. It would be like a human managing to summon an Avatar...

onidemon
01-05-2010, 18:01
Before there were official "Dark Eldar", every converted Dark Eldar army seemed to have a heavy duty Slaanesh theme to it. Everyone just assumed Dark Eldar would be what had become of those back on the Eldar homeworlds.

A decade or so later, a lot of people seem very dedicated to the idea of Dark Eldar acting exactly like the society that created Slaanesh, but being one hundred percent against the chaos power that behavior created. And, what Dark Eldar fluff exists, does seem to back this up.

It raises the question, just what does life back on the crone worlds look like? Personally, I like to imagine that if you look at the forgeworld Keeper of Secrets, and at any of the Demonettes produced over the years, you can see clearly what has happened to the Eldar who stayed behind. Essentially, a Slaanesh Demon Army *is* an army of the fallen Eldar.

Looking forward to seeing new 'official' Dark Eldar fluff in the codex though!

Vaktathi
01-05-2010, 18:04
While Slaaneshi Eldar wouldn't be impossible (Eldar aren't immune to the corrupting powers of Chaos, they discipline themselves to be highly resistant to it under normal circumstances) Dark Eldar aren't Chaos eldar and I don't think a Chaos eldar force would ever really get a book, interesting though it would be.

Idaan
01-05-2010, 18:49
Yes, there are Chaos and even Slaaneshi Eldar, and no, they're not the same as Dark Eldar:

Even so, these planets are not devoid of life, but are home to countless mortal followers and champions of the Chaos Powers as well as immortal daemons and their masters. Among the mortal inhabitants can still be found Eldar, some preserved since the time of the Fall, who champion the cause of Chaos on the Daemon Worlds and throughout the galaxy.

Archangel_Ruined
01-05-2010, 19:06
Yup, I'd love to see a forgeworld chaos eldar model and stat sheet, they were always mentioned as the absolute daddies of badassery. If you want anyone to write some overpowered, evil, game breaking, couldn't even make it into a Matt Ward codex rules, call forgeworld.

Urban Shaman Commando
01-05-2010, 19:34
What about Eldar worshipping/serving other Chaos gods, maybe in an attempt to get away from the grasp of Slaanesh? Are Eldar souls deemed to be the property of Slaanesh in the realms of chaos or could there be, for example, Khornate Eldar?

Drasanil
01-05-2010, 20:06
Yup, I'd love to see a forgeworld chaos eldar model and stat sheet, they were always mentioned as the absolute daddies of badassery. If you want anyone to write some overpowered, evil, game breaking, couldn't even make it into a Matt Ward codex rules, call forgeworld.

And this is why you'll never see them. Chaos Eldar are one of the few things which make Teh Spiky Mahreens look bad, as such GW is trying to pretend they don't exist.

Archangel_Ruined
01-05-2010, 20:10
Khornate eldar would be Khainite eldar, the line between them is quite blurry depending which edition you read. In fantasy they are the same god last I checked (yes, I know eldar aren't space elves, unless you're old like me and played RT...).

Drasanil
01-05-2010, 20:18
In fantasy they are the same god last I checked (yes, I know eldar aren't space elves, unless you're old like me and played RT...).

You checked wrong then, because they aren't.

Every time some one says Khaine=Khorne God splats a kitten:cries:

Archangel_Ruined
01-05-2010, 20:40
They were facets of the same god last I was involved in fantasy (this was more than a few editions ago...). Have they retconned that then?

Drasanil
01-05-2010, 20:50
They were facets of the same god last I was involved in fantasy (this was more than a few editions ago...). Have they retconned that then?

Yup, it got more or less cleared up when they introduced the 6th eddition Warrior of Chaos books and the nature of the warp. Think of it this way Khorne is the sentient personification of Anger of Management Issues, where as Khaine is a more like sociopath who appreciates artistry and the intricacies behind of killing and bloodshed. Khaine has a fairly big area of overlap with Khorne but also traits drawn from Slaanesh (and Tzeentch to a lesser extent) to balance out the package.

Of course with the new DoC codexes and army books, the Gods have also gone back to being more of a classical pantheon in addition to and/or instead of sentient warp huricanes. Which is fine by me since pretty much anything and everything goes when it comes to warp, you can have the warp storm "Khorne" as the domain and the more classical god "Khorne" as it's heart/mind.

Nehemiah
02-05-2010, 03:38
Last I knew, Khaine was a greater deamon of Khorn worshiped by the Eldar. However when Slaanesh was birthed it consumed many of the Eldar and at least one god, Khaine. Khorn was not altogether happy considering this new upstart had just eaten one of his generals and attacked Slaanesh. Khaine was ripped free from Slaanesh and slipped away in the confusion becoming his own master.

Drasanil
02-05-2010, 03:57
Last I knew, Khaine was a greater deamon of Khorn worshiped by the Eldar.

Khaine predates Khorne by a few dozen million years...

However when Slaanesh was birthed it consumed many of the Eldar and at least one god, Khaine.

Slaanesh consumed all but two of the eldar gods, Khaine who fought it and lost, how ever Slaanesh couldn't consume him so he was scattered amongst the craftworlds, and Ceogarach the Laughing god who hid behind Khaine and escaped into the webway.

Lastly Isha might have been consumed, but later "rescued" (and subsequently reimprisoned) by Nurgle later on, whether or not this is actually the case is not known.

Khorn was not altogether happy considering this new upstart had just eaten one of his generals and attacked Slaanesh. Khaine was ripped free from Slaanesh and slipped away in the confusion becoming his own master.

I've heard that Khorne called "dibs" on Khaine and that he and Slaanesh had a tug of war over him which is what caused him to be broken up into the Avatars as we know them today. How ever the eldar dex flat out states that Slaanesh was too weakened by it's battle with Khaine and as such could only banish him from the warp, thereby creating the Avatars, rather than outright consume him.

Meriwether
02-05-2010, 04:21
I believe that character was made up for the April Fools week day thread.

I can confirm that we hoaxters had every intention of posting this rumor... And then someone not in on the joke posted it in the thread before we did. (I don't remember who, and The Big Scary Robot has long-since deleted the thread, so I can't go look.)

But either way, I doubt it. We made it up because it was too outrageous to be true.

---------------

As for Slaaneshi Eldar, the guy who won the Glen Burnie GT back in 1995 (I think it was 1995) did so with a Slaaneshi Eldar army. The conversions were awesome, too.

The Avari
02-05-2010, 06:53
Im glad that someone brought this up because i have been wanting to make a crone world/slaaneshi Eldar army just haven't had the time...not really sure what kind of units they would have because they couldnt have any aspect warriors because they were a development of the craftworld eldar and wraithlords and wraithguard i believe are also a craftworld eldar development...any ideas anyone

Kyrolon
02-05-2010, 07:13
Im glad that someone brought this up because i have been wanting to make a crone world/slaaneshi Eldar army just haven't had the time...not really sure what kind of units they would have because they couldnt have any aspect warriors because they were a development of the craftworld eldar and wraithlords and wraithguard i believe are also a craftworld eldar development...any ideas anyone

I see two possibilities. Which one you prefer depends on the goal you are going after. In one case you want the play style of an Eldar list, but don't want it to look like typical Eldar. In the second case you want something that is totally different from standard Eldar, but looks like it may have been derived from them.

In the first case, use the Craftworld rules. This army would represent something like Altansar, a Craftworld that fell to the eye of terror. Most of the units could keep their rules, but either convert the wraith units to look possessed (or use deamons), eliminate the psykers(they all died), and replace the avatar model with a Keeper of Secrets. Paint up the rest in lurid, chaosy scheme and go for it.

In the second case use a different codex like chaos deamons or marines and work in some Eldar looks. Use scorpion miniatures with extra spikes and such as Chaos Marines, with summoned Slanneshi Deamons. Use the rules for Ahriman to represent a fallen seer. You get the idea. Let the imagination do its thing.

Drasanil
02-05-2010, 07:21
This army would represent something like Altansar, a Craftworld that fell to the eye of terror.

Not to be too nit-picky or anything, but Altansar were pulled into the eye of terror. They how ever did not fall to chaos and later re-emerged to fight alongside their kin against Chaos during the Black Crusade campaign.

The Avari
02-05-2010, 08:09
Interesting suggestions the reason why I personally would create crone world was so that i could make a themed doubles army with my cousin who plays CSM and Daemons...as far as altansar (which is another one of my upcoming projects) is concerned im pretty sure that they left the eye of terror almost completely untainted(they were kind of vague in the codex)

Back to the whole crone world thing what do you think of using banshees to represent some kind of crazed slanneshi cultists? I like your idea of using wraithguard for larger possessed eldar i think i might use chaos spawn models and mix in some eldar parts...I guess the avatar could represent some kind of Slanneshi Daemon prince type thing

Im sorry for hijacking this thread i just got really happy when i saw a thread about slaaneshi eldar :)

On another note is there any evidence of there being anything like aspect warriors before the fall?
It seems to be that their creation was a response to the fall...of course that doesn't stop me from doing some wicked count as conversions ;) If i cook up anything real nasty ill be sure to post them on the intarwebs ;)

Tokugawa100
02-05-2010, 09:01
They are not completely innocent. They walked away and did nothing while trillions of their fellow Eldar destroyed themselves.

What could they do?

They did warn them of the risk's and the possible doom which faced them if they went along this path, the Eldar simply didnt care.

Craftworld Eldar were a comparitive minority compared to the rest of the Empire, I dont think they would have been able to stop them even if they tried. All they could do was warn them, the Eldar Empire payed for not listening.

Blutkind
02-05-2010, 09:04
If I put all fluff together, then I do believe, that Arha and his Incuubi are still Slaanesh worshippers...just read the codex and every bit on Lexicanum.de about this issue and you understand what I mean.

inq.serge
02-05-2010, 10:21
…Are Eldar souls deemed to be the property of Slaanesh in the realms of chaos… …?

No, Slaanesh just say dibs and gets realy pissed off if someone else takes and eats those souls, which happends all the time. Seriously.

The only souls that are doomed to be eaten by slaanesh are the ones slaanesh allready taken but haven't eaten yet; The Solitaires. (However, cegrorach might save those souls).

But remember that The Chaos Gods are not omnipotent beings who follow destinies and have klichées for personalities, they are more like omnipotent toddlers playing with anthills in a very sadistic fashion.

The souls are like candies, slaanesh said dibs for the chocolates, but that doens't stop hir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun) older brothers and all the daemons in the warp to steal them from hir.

Kyrolon
02-05-2010, 22:10
Not to be too nit-picky or anything, but Altansar were pulled into the eye of terror. They how ever did not fall to chaos and later re-emerged to fight alongside their kin against Chaos during the Black Crusade campaign.

Correct. I should have said pulled into the eye of terror instead. I was envisioning a world that got stuck there and did not remain as stalwart as Altansar did.

Nehemiah
03-05-2010, 04:43
Khaine predates Khorne by a few dozen million years...

Slaanesh consumed all but two of the eldar gods, Khaine who fought it and lost, how ever Slaanesh couldn't consume him so he was scattered amongst the craftworlds, and Ceogarach the Laughing god who hid behind Khaine and escaped into the webway.

Lastly Isha might have been consumed, but later "rescued" (and subsequently reimprisoned) by Nurgle later on, whether or not this is actually the case is not known.

I've heard that Khorne called "dibs" on Khaine and that he and Slaanesh had a tug of war over him which is what caused him to be broken up into the Avatars as we know them today. How ever the eldar dex flat out states that Slaanesh was too weakened by it's battle with Khaine and as such could only banish him from the warp, thereby creating the Avatars, rather than outright consume him.

Ah, thank you for correcting my erroneous post. However was Khaine a warp creature banished from the warp or was he a being able to travel between reality and the warp, because if he was simply a being of the Warp then it is impossible for him to predate Khorne any more than it is possible for Khorne to predate Slaanesh.

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-05-2010, 07:25
Ah, thank you for correcting my erroneous post. However was Khaine a warp creature banished from the warp or was he a being able to travel between reality and the warp, because if he was simply a being of the Warp then it is impossible for him to predate Khorne any more than it is possible for Khorne to predate Slaanesh.

That doesn't make any sense. We know Khorne predates Slaanesh, in fact I believe he is supposed to be the oldest of the chaos gods, where as Slaanesh is most certainly the youngest.

And why shouldn't Khaine pre-date Khorne? They are not the same god, but they are very similar, most likely because Khorne is the human version of Khaine. That they are as different as they are reflects the differences between humans and eldars. And since the eldars had a massive civilization long before humans did it would stand to reason that an eldar god would pre-date a human god.

As for Slaaneshi eldars. From what little there have ever been written about them I always got the impression that there were very, very few of them. They are all very powerful champions, but your neophyte cultists is just going to get his soul eaten real quick so you don't see massive cults or armies of them. And as for the Crone World eldars, I believe most of them are mindless/soulless husks. Possibly still walking around, but essentially blasted to bits by the psychic chock-wave of Slaanesh birth.

Nehemiah
03-05-2010, 07:50
That doesn't make any sense.

Exactly. All things in the warp have existed in the warp forever because time has no meaning in the warp. It has no beginning or end, so cannot have a middle. So if Khaine was a denizen of the Warp it would be impossible for him to predate anything in warp terms because there is no such thing as a 'date'.

Still Standing
03-05-2010, 11:09
Exactly. All things in the warp have existed in the warp forever because time has no meaning in the warp. It has no beginning or end, so cannot have a middle. So if Khaine was a denizen of the Warp it would be impossible for him to predate anything in warp terms because there is no such thing as a 'date'.

Chaos Gods are Warp Storms. They are masses of energy within the Warp that lose or gain power over time. They can completely dissipate, and the God therefore "dies". Independant Gods form all the time, as new Warp Storms reach the critical mass needed to gain self awareness. This is how Slaanesh was formed, just as all the other Warp Gods before were formed. We know all this from Realms of Chaos.

The Eldar Gods, on the other hand, were not entirely warp entities. At least not in the same way as the Chaos Gods. We know that they could take some sort of physical form during the War in Heaven. However, this could simply be in the same way as a Chaos God pours his energy into the Deamons, the Eldar God could have poured his energy into ONE daemon, effectively manifesting himself in the material realm for a very short period.