PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos, but not Chaos

Rhamiel
01-05-2010, 11:18
Ok i've always been a stickler for the Warriors of Chaos and also a stickler for Ancient Greece and Greek Mythology.

I was wondering whether i could use the Warriors of Chaos Rulebook to have the Greek Themed army. Or would it be wrong to use the Warriors of Chaos Rulebook for that and should use a different one.

I'm not saying that i will do this army (i can never decide which army i will collect next) but i'm interested in what you think of this idea.

thanks a lot

Rhamiel

Kayosiv
01-05-2010, 11:26
Just make some custom rules imo. Very few opponents are going to complain that you want to use a historically accurate army with no magic items or monsters if you keep things reasonable.

If you just want to base the "look" of your army on ancient Grease and use a book as a template, yeah that should work out fine.

Davo
01-05-2010, 11:35
Most people would be fine with it, I'd suggest that High Elves have more of a classical feel to them. However, it is your hobby so just go with whatever you feel is cool. :)

mrtn
01-05-2010, 11:36
There's not a lot of spears or pikes in the WoC book.

DarkMark
01-05-2010, 12:13
Using the Empire book to represent chaos isn't a bad idea. You won't get the big gribblies, but it doesn't sound like thats what you're after anyways.

MalusCalibur
01-05-2010, 12:44
If you're after a Greek feel, then using Lizardmen rules could actually work quite well. Saurus as your hard-as-nails Phalanxes (armed with spears of course), while Skinks represent the lightly armoured Peltasts. You could throw stuff like Minotaurs in as Kroxigor, and huge construct war machines (if you're feeling really creative) to represent the big monsters like Stegadons - I would love to see a Trojan Horse conversion for one of those, actually. Add in some 'Blessings of the Olympiad' fluff for your magic, and jobs a good 'un.

I would love to see a heavily converted army like this. If you don't do it, I might... :D

Rhamiel
01-05-2010, 13:23
ok thanks guys. i was going to include the use of gods for "magic" :) and magic items would be like blessed weapons from the gods.

but i like the idea of Lizardmen Rulebook it does seem to work. i know people would say that i should have something that is toughness of humans, but i don't want it, becuase they will be mostly spartans. who are tough as nails.

but the small factor against both the WoC and the Lizardmen is they don't have archers. which i kind of want. at which point either the Empire of the High Elves are better for that fact.
And with the High Elves i also get the always strike first which would show like the Spartans skill of arms.

i need to look into this more

Rhamiel

Arkfatalis
01-05-2010, 13:24
I do it to represent my DOW army. I love my Marauder giant and Ogres and the DOW rules now seem a bit dated. I have slightly altered my alicanti to have swords and shields. People can't really complain as they are GW miniatures and they have what weapons I have given them, and I have put the accronyms on the bases, ie WOC etc. Nobody really cares as long as people can tell what they are by looking at them. Some people do whine but that's generally when I'm beating them, which isn't really that often.

Lordsaradain
01-05-2010, 16:00
If you just want to base the "look" of your army on ancient Grease and use a book as a template, yeah that should work out fine.

"Ancient Grease"
*Chuckles*

Urgat
01-05-2010, 16:52
I'd suggest undead ogres for that :)

BigbyWolf
01-05-2010, 17:53
Just out of interest, would I be right in thinking if you superimpose a real world map over the Warhammer map Greece would be in the Border Princes area?

LeSquide
01-05-2010, 18:11
The Border Princes have to deal with a surfit of orcs, don't they?

Orcs would make a very interesting choice for Heroic-age greeks; heavy armor is very notable amongst them when present, but by no means common. Lesser spear carriers serve the larger, greater heroes...

And even all that Greek infighting is represented!

ftayl5
02-05-2010, 05:05
DoW do teh best job of spartans or greeks.

Hoplite = Pikeman
Pikemen = Very good and core choice

Ancient Greeks used crossbows eventually too

Check this out: SPARTANS (http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGO-301.jpg)

Rhamiel
02-05-2010, 09:00
ok thank you, i'm still a bit confused which one to go for:
Lizardmen: Nails, Spearmen, but no archers per say
High Elves: Spearmen, Archers, and "Spartans" (Phoniex Guard), bit weak and they have their own cool background to use.
WoC: Nails, Halberds, but no ranged.

ftayl5: that link is nice, the only small problem with that sight, and it is a tiny one. is they don't have any greek archers or normal greek soldiers. which is a tiny problem. so if anyone has any suggestions where to find greek soldiers i am willing to listen

so anything else?

thanks

Rhamiel

ftayl5
02-05-2010, 10:57
like i siad DoW are just about the best thing for greeks coz they have hoplites (pikemen) corssbowmen, light cav and heavy cav.
Greek heavy cav didnt have barding as such, DoW cav does not need to take barding

either DoW, or High elves I guess

Rhamiel
02-05-2010, 12:36
thanks the main problem i have is making good horsemen and archers. as to me the Greeks didn't use crossbows.
some of the pike men are nice. as are those spartans you showed me ftayl5.

of course considering i don't have a lot of money i may not be able to do this army as it would involve a lot of conversion and parts and therfore money

Rhamiel

Rogue
05-05-2010, 17:23
If you are really interested in doing a Greek army, I would just bite the bullet and play WAB. The models are so much more cheaper that you can get the books needed and buy an opposing force for a friend to play and you still would be around what a normal WFB army costs.

Check the Historical section of this site and there should still be a topic on new Plastic Greek miniatures. They are about $20 for 34 models, compared to $35 for 12 Warriors of Chaos.

Ender Shadowkin
05-05-2010, 17:37
I have a similar thing gone for an Ind List using the WoC book.

Elephants for Charriots (Aventine Elephants Rock!)
Waralter with Hindu fetsih (these are all over)
Chosen using Witch elves with extra set of arms.
ogres with Lion Heads (from the lion chariot)

I say go for it. Once you build the units you want, you can always go book shopping to see if another book fits better.

My friend had an Awesome DoW army that was all araby (flying carpets (hero on pegasus, ogres as Djinns, giant was a huge Efrete, etc) nobody ever complained playing him. You just spend a couple minutes upfront explaing which unit counts as whatever.

Tymell
05-05-2010, 17:51
As has kind of come out in all the posts, many armies could work well for an Ancient Greek themed army, though it kind of depends on what kind of force you want. There were different kinds under different generals and over different periods.

My input:
*Emphasise characters as much as you can: Heroes played a big role in Ancient Greek mythology/culture. Big, kitted out lords would make a good centrepoint.

*The Greeks had big phalanxes of tough infantry. Big, solid blocks of them, ideally armed with spears (or some such). Chariots in support of them would fit too.

*The Greeks also gained a lot from their use of technological advancements in battle. Catapults were largely a Greek invention, so I'd say war machines of some sort are a must. They had plenty of interesting inventions when it came to siege warfare as well. So yes, technological war machines sound good to me.

*And of course, no Warhammer Fantasy army is complete without the Fantasy part ;) Greek mythology is full of interesting creatures and characters, plenty for you to draw upon.

I'd plump for one of these three myself:

Warriors of Chaos have plenty of gribblies, chariots, a good selection of characters (and special characters) for you to choose from, and the hellcannon could be used in place of a catapult of some sort.

Lizardmen have the infantry and some good speed, plus lots of monsters.

Dark Elves have got good characters, some beasties, spear-armed infantry blocks and chariots too.

Gaargod
05-05-2010, 18:03
I don't know what spartan army you're talking about, but as far as i'm aware they were very limited in terms of ranged weapons. The spartan warriors themselves didn't use them and it was down to the role of their serfs (Perioikoi mostly, sometimes the Helots too) to provide the support roles in battle - which still was mostly slings. Javelins also featured though for actual spartan citizens - probably because the range was much shorter and the strength of the bearer had more of an effect, so it was seen as a more honourable weapon.

Neither archers or cavalry really featured - one of the reasons the Greeks were defeated by Philip II of Macedonia. The Thebans, who defeated Sparta, were using longer spears but still no support - but the Macedonians had Sarissas (18 foot 2 handed pikes used in addition to shields with a sling to hold it steady) and rock hard cavalry.

It wouldn't be a very interesting army, but warriors of chaos on foot + marauders (both kinds) could work. If you're including magic, it gets easier as you can take sorcerers, ogres (use minotaurs, if you like the model) and other big things.

SamVimes
05-05-2010, 18:26
Go DOW, and use halflings for the archers, duelists with throwing knives for peltasts, pikemen as phalanxes, and some of the goofier units for more mythological creatures. You can also support them with Ogres from the Ogre Kingdoms book for some of the creatures (minos).

As for the core phalanxes, Immortal miniatures are the ones that do the multi-part plastics, and are a great deal.

Badnames
05-05-2010, 22:14
Use WoC and make your Spartan army.

Leogun_91
06-05-2010, 06:37
The Border Princes have to deal with a surfit of orcs, don't they?

Orcs would make a very interesting choice for Heroic-age greeks; heavy armor is very notable amongst them when present, but by no means common. Lesser spear carriers serve the larger, greater heroes...

And even all that Greek infighting is represented!
I second orcs, they are tough and strong and a great deal of blackorcs could represent the hard spartans he seems to want. Giants as Titans or cyclops are also a cool addition.

Orcs have everything you ask for in the army:
Hard infantry, Check
Archers, Check (you can probobly find cheap plastic ones, I found many.
Cavalry, Check
Heroes, Check

kdh88
06-05-2010, 07:22
I second orcs, they are tough and strong and a great deal of blackorcs could represent the hard spartans he seems to want. Giants as Titans or cyclops are also a cool addition.

Orcs have everything you ask for in the army:
Hard infantry, Check
Archers, Check (you can probobly find cheap plastic ones, I found many.
Cavalry, Check
Heroes, Check

High chance of being gloriously massacred, Check

:D I keed, I keed

On a more serious note, it partially depends on which era you're going for. Homeric heroes, Pelopensian/Persian war hopolites, Macedonian phalanxes, or even late period Selucids would all have different depictions. Or you could just go anachronism stew and throw in some of everything.

Personally, I'd go with LM for anachronism (Stegadons as war elephants, blowpipes as "archers", razordons as manticores, maybe slamanders as manticores), DE for a more "Homeric" feel and HE for classical/Macedon.