PDA

View Full Version : Help with WoC

Chaosminon
01-05-2010, 17:58
I need help figuring what to buy next for my WoC. I bought 2 of the $90 battalions and 1 box of marauders and 1 box of Knights. I modeled all of my marauders with flails. but im not really sure what to do about my HQ choices and my rares. What would some of my fellow WoC generals suggest?

Fruhauf
01-05-2010, 18:07
HQ? lol :)

you should look to get mounted marauders, they're good.

Rare choices aren't great but HellCannon is quite fun and gives you a shooter. Giant's always fun too.

Chaos Dude
01-05-2010, 18:27
The WoC rare choices is a bit lacking, if you want some strong units the Knights is a better choice in my opinion. For HQ, or character's as it's referred to in Fantasy, it depends on the point level and a bit on what your enemy has, if he doesn't use magic you might want to skip them too and smash him with Chaos Lord and Exalted Heroes, if you play Tzeentch you should obviously use the magic advantage to the fullest, it all depends on what kind of army you want to use.

Agnar the Howler
01-05-2010, 18:34
The Hellcannon is a beast in itself, and an ASF giant is always fun (at least till 8th edition), plus Warshrines can power your units up considerably and Drogres (shaggoth for rare) should become better with 8th, but is already okay with 7th; so I wouldn't really say that WoC rare is 'lacking' as such.

brendino
01-05-2010, 23:16
you should always have one exalted champion no matter what in my opinion; their great in combat and they are the best choice to be the general for a begginer, i'm sure no one will dispute that, and you can kit them out however you want. so if I were you I'd pick one of those up.

Bladelord
01-05-2010, 23:21
and an ASF giant is always fun (at least till 8th edition)

It's just rumours... & why shouldnt you still ALWAYS strike FIRST in the 8th ed. if you got a rule that says so?

Agnar the Howler
02-05-2010, 01:11
It's just rumours... & why shouldnt you still ALWAYS strike FIRST in the 8th ed. if you got a rule that says so?

I hinted at nothing negative nor positive. It could be fun till 8th ed, when it will be even more fun, or it may be less fun, it may be absolutely amazing, who knows? Just right now, it's always good fun.

shinankoku
02-05-2010, 02:42
WoC (well, my WoC) relies on warriors, knights, hounds, DOs, and mounted marauders. Warriors make an excellent back-bone. You don't have to take fully ranked up units - indeed, in many battles you won't be able to, but that's ok. Knights kick a$$, again, even stripped down they can maul by themselves. Hounds are there as expendable units that get in the enemies way. March them up so enemy cav have no choice but to charge them, and leave them at a bad angle (for them!!). DOs are there to mosh anything that gets in their way. Note, you could probably get a similar effect with ogres or trolls. Mounted marauders are brilliant: i bring tthem with throwing axes for ranged attacks and feigned flees. I have a buddy who likes them with spears and marks of Khorne (makes them and the mount frenzy). Point is, they're cheap and can fill many roles. Be careful not to overload a unit with gear - give them spears or axes or flails, but not three or even two from that list. Keep them as fast cav. As for 'hq', i highly recommend bringing Wulfrick, bring your marauders with flails as his back-up, as well as the mark a Khorne. As much as i don't like frenzied troops (they are baitable), on Wulfrick's crew it's great!! As for other choices for characters, it depends how you want to play - magic heavy or combat heavy. I do have two recommendations: one, bsb's are great, even a non-magic one. Plus one combat res, retolled failed break tests. Two is that two exalted heros are almost always better than a lord, point for point.

Oh, one more bit from me: i hate the hellcannon. Passionatley hate it (well, the model looks great. It's a conundrum). Unless you love the model too, skip it. The only rare worth it's points is a giant, and frankly, DOs, ogres, trolls, knights, even chariots are better point for point choices.

Chaosminon
02-05-2010, 09:06
Sweet, thanks for the advice everyone, and I know "HQ" is the wrong term but i started off as a 40k nerd and that crap kinda stuck with me :P

it sounds like my warriors will be 6X2 , should i be taking any war banners or anything? and should they be equipped with both shields and hand weapons? or save the points and just go one or the other? what about ogres, should i put them in chaos armor? or is that just a waste of points? I always wanted to try out a shaggoth and it sounds like they are ok, but is a giant better? lol sorry for all the questions :P im fairly new to the fantasy line, dont have too many battles under my belt and WoC are super brand new to me. oh, and if i do end up using a warshrine, do i run 2? or just one? oh and how do WoC chariots do?

Agnar the Howler
02-05-2010, 16:42
I completely disagree about the hellcannon, it is a Terror-causing, unbreakable cannon with WS4, S5, T6, 5 wounds and 5 attacks AND is a stone thrower that panics units it hits and forces a check at -1Ld. It is capable of locking down whole flanks on its own and is something you need to devote units to killing instead of just using a few archers to pick off the crew.

Fruhauf
02-05-2010, 16:54
I Agree with Agnar :)

It's awesome in Close Combat and gives you something to use in the Shooting phase, which unless you take mounted marauders, you won't have!

Fruhauf
02-05-2010, 17:00
Chaosminion, as for your warriors... equip them either HW/Shield or Halberd/Shield since they get the parry bonus for hand weapons regardless. The Halberd gives you a +1 strength, which can really hurt good armour save units as the S4 -> S5 reducing the armour save by 2. It just depends on your spare points, also if you are playing someone with a lot of shooters, then maybe avoid spending extra points on warriors as they can still be picked off by a lot of shooting.

I take my warriors in 6x2 with HW/Shield combo and musician and banner for CR as you're unlikely to outnumber anything.

I'm sorry I don't know much about Ogres or Shaggoth as I stick to humans in my WoC (Marauders, Warriors, Knights)

Jericho
03-05-2010, 19:21
Yeah taking halberds and shields can be very nice since you can choose to use either the halberd by itself for S5 or revert to hand weapon + shield for a very solid 2+ armor save. There's a blister pack available from GW with a bunch of halberds in it as well, so no messy converting necessary.

I like the Hellcannon, I like cavalry units, but I definitely recommend taking a mix of whatever you think is fun instead of relying too heavily on any one thing. Chaos lists can be a bit repetitive since you either have fast units that punch people in the face, or slow units that punch people in the face. Not quite the variety of other armies. Knights are arguably the most well-rounded and reliable of these units (strong statline, 1+ save, can take marks and full command, magic banners. etc) but taking more than 2 units of 5-6 makes a very one-dimensional and boring list to play against.

Welcome to Fantasy, personally I find it to be the superior game and generally I find it has the more mature, easy to get along with types of players. Obviously there's exceptions on both sides :) I hope you have fun with the new army!

minionboy
03-05-2010, 19:37
I can't stress it enough, Halberds + Shields on warriors.

Also, if it's not too late, snip off the ends of your flails and replace them with axe/pick heads and get yourself some great weapon wielding marauders! For the same points, they get +2 str all the time, and in the first round of combat, it doesn't make a difference. With GW or Flails, if you charge, you're hitting first, if you are charged, you're hitting last, so the strikes last from a GW makes no difference.

snottlebocket
03-05-2010, 21:09
One more vote for halberds and shields. The lances from chaos knights make good halberds too.

Agnar the Howler
03-05-2010, 21:22
Lances are, in my opinion, harder to convert. What I find easier is using the regular axes and cutting up some cocktail sticks to make them more halberd-y, like a pointy spear-tip on the top of an extended shaft.

Chaosminon
04-05-2010, 00:00
Lol I wish I would have posted this before i modeled them with 2 handweapons :P maybe in the new ed when they go off int all the time it wont be as costly of a mistake :P I hope i can just call my marauders (who already are modeled with fails) marauders with great flails :) no comments on chaos orgres? i was also thinking about some chaos trolls. how do they handle?

Unuhexium
04-05-2010, 04:22
I've used trolls (unit of four) in a few battles and so far they haven't done much. They NEED a babysitter which doesn't really suit my play-style. The mutation bit is damn funny though.Trolls are good at maiming light infantry, but heavy stuff like chaos warriors, saurus warriors and such turn them into kebab.

nobsb
04-05-2010, 04:42
I don't use warriors anymore they are to slow and expensive. If I take block infantry it's marauders with flails and marked Khorne and/or Slaanesh. I take 3 units of 5 Knights. Yes, I'm that guy. If you spend points on Ogres you might as well take Knights. I also take a Hellcannon. It rarely makes it's points, but it messes with people's minds. It can be devastating to armies like O&G and even Empire. Taking a -1 panic test when you kill a model is awesome. Plus big things like the Skaven Plague Furnace are nice targets, D6 wounds with a hit.

A must for all WoC armies is Marauder Horsemen. You need them to hunt artillery, protect flanks, and keep from getting marched blocked. They are really good for what they do and you will find people targeting them before Knights most times. I can't say enough good things about fast cav. The new Edition coming out may change alot of things, but I haven't heard anything about fast cav. being changed. Good luck with your gaming.

Havock
04-05-2010, 14:37
I completely disagree about the hellcannon, it is a Terror-causing, unbreakable cannon with WS4, S5, T6, 5 wounds and 5 attacks AND is a stone thrower that panics units it hits and forces a check at -1Ld. It is capable of locking down whole flanks on its own and is something you need to devote units to killing instead of just using a few archers to pick off the crew.

This. Above all it's fun.