PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels or Space Wolves?

Bathawk
01-05-2010, 18:18
Hey all, probably an overdone question. But I hadn't planned on buying a new codex, but since I just got out of the ER 10 hours ago, thought I should buy myself a "get well present"

guess my main consideration, is which of the two codeci is the most "different" from thee Vanilla Space Marine book?

bigcheese76
01-05-2010, 18:23
Well, both codexes are marineish codexes but I would say out of the two, Space Wolves are the least vanilla. They have the ability for 4 HQs, some very different psykic powers and all of the troops types vary in name from the vanilla marines and also in wargear allowed wheras BA wargear is quite similar and the squads also have very similar options.

Also, get well soon.

Pedro Kantor
01-05-2010, 18:30
It would be difficult for me to choose between them.Neither are as "vanilla" as the base codex.The BA have some psy powers specific to them and the ability to take jump troops and dreads as troop choices ( and deep-striking LR's ) makes for an entertaining choice.Not very helpful i admit,if pushed i would go for the BA.Get well soon.

Project2501
01-05-2010, 18:31
Truth be told they're both able to be pretty different from the sm dex. Although I would also at this point have to give the nod to SW. Why not flip through both and then decide for yourself?

Before you go blowing money on get-well things, make sure you're ER bill is covered... that is not cheap :(

Hope you get better though.

Zeitkraft
01-05-2010, 18:43
I have both codex's and I have to say that the Space WOlves force appeals to me much more. Grey Hunters are better than Nilla Tac Marines in every way and cheaper and just as good as Assault Marines in the BA codex without their jump packs. The main difference between the troops is whether you wanna try to get a troop of furious charging bp/cc weapon marines or troops that can roll into 12" hose somehting with bolter fire and then whoop ass in CC with Counter Charge.

Oh! and how about SW being one of the VERY few armies that has cavalry? Thunderwolf cavalry is pro.

Purifactor
01-05-2010, 19:06
Personally I think you should go with Regular marines and make your own stuff up. The blood angels are cool, but the new codex is just retarded and full, of gimics and cop outs. space wolves are better but still not a gamers army, these are codexes for power gamers and those who just want a cool factor and dont care so much about realism or actual gaming. now i know i will **** some of you off with this comment, but come on...5th edition is getting out of hand with flying landraiders dont you agree?

Purifactor
01-05-2010, 19:08
oh yeah and thunder wolf calvary...? come on, what happened to the bikes? these are silly childish additions to the way we all knew marines to be. An 8 foot tall 1 ton marine is not going to ride a ******* dog into battle.

SharpSilver
01-05-2010, 23:57
oh yeah and thunder wolf calvary...? come on, what happened to the bikes? these are silly childish additions to the way we all knew marines to be. An 8 foot tall 1 ton marine is not going to ride a ******* dog into battle.

Do not insult the Sons of Russ in my presence....you regular sphess mahreen! :D

It's something new and vibrant. I won't personally take them but I'm sure as hell somebody else will and will enjoy using them.

d6juggernaut
02-05-2010, 00:19
Oh bother, not this kind of thread again, I'll be expecting endless fanboy threads to come(including my own).

You should look through 2 books and decide for yourself, both of them are more than solid and you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Personally, I recommend the space wolves codex. Why? Because the author actually took the effort to make the units in the codex function and organize differently from the vanilla marine codex. Sure you can say that Grey Hunters=Tac Marines, but take a look at their wargear, their price, and their options in special weapons, and you'll see that they can be very different in terms of role and effectiveness. Not to mention Wolf Guard units is arguably the most customizable unit in the game, these all make the SW codex unique. Thunderwolf Cavalry is also a great edition and takes a daring new direction for MEQ.

But when you take a look at the Blood angel dex, yes, you have the new units and everything, every new codex have those. But compare the BA tactical marines, terminators, scouts and assault marines, is it any different from the vanilla one? Other than the Red Thirst USR that they slapped on to everyone? Everything from the vanilla codex are copy/pasted (and omitting some specific units), tagged on some special rules that EVERYONE in the codex have, and that's it. So for people familiar with the vanilla dex, the BA codex will have a lot of repeated stuff and the new units (death company, sanguinary guards etc) will quickly overshadow the old units.

Jayden63
02-05-2010, 00:59
To strictly answer the OPs question. The Space Wolf codex is hands down the most different from the regular SM codex. With the exception of vehicles there are no duplicate units from the SM codex in the SW codex.

You can field 90% of the SM codex in the BA codex. The BA codex has tactical squads, it has assault squads, it has sternguard, it has vanguard, it has devistators. Yeah there are some new stuff added to it, but for the most part you can easily field the almost the exact same list using both the BA and the SM codex.

FabricatorGeneralMike
02-05-2010, 01:45
I think that the SW book is far more diverse in rules and units then the BS book. I would read through both of them, then decide on what kind of army you wish to do, then go from there.

I am thinking about doing a IronHands army based on the SW book.

Just remember that whatever army you do, the golden rule is " Enjoy what you do with YOUR hobby."

=o]... OH YA the canucks are up 5-0 close to the end of the second period. Take that Chicago ;)

DigitalDogParty
02-05-2010, 01:57
I was going to do Space Wolves, but a friend got to them first. So instead, I chose to do Blood Angels. Personally, I'm having a blast with Blood Angels. If you've ever played as Space Marines and felt they were a little to bland for you but you want to keep the general sense of them, then Blood Angels are right for you. They work well with assault and fast moving vehicles. If you surely want to bring the hammer down, then they are a good choice.

As for Space Wolves, they are more unique and split off from the other codexes like Dark Angels and Blood Angels. They have unique troops and fighters in the army. Individually, they are unique and strong hitting. They can have more HQ's, and interesting combination of weapons and equipment. Wolf Guard are really, really cool. Just good luck on making Wolf Calvary, but if your opponent doesn't care how you make 'em, it's all good.

Like others have said, take a look through the codexes. In the end, it usually ends up with who has cooler units. At least for me.

Raditz
02-05-2010, 02:09
and dont care so much about realism...

Because heaven knows we need more realism in a universe of space faeries, space commies, super fast space travel...

If you're not too pushy, you could always make the army a successor chapter army that doesn't look like either. Use whichever rules you want, marines are still marines at the end of the day.

HerrDusty
02-05-2010, 03:07
Personally I think you should go with Regular marines and make your own stuff up. The blood angels are cool, but the new codex is just retarded and full, of gimics and cop outs. space wolves are better but still not a gamers army, these are codexes for power gamers and those who just want a cool factor and dont care so much about realism or actual gaming. now i know i will **** some of you off with this comment, but come on...5th edition is getting out of hand with flying landraiders dont you agree?

*snort* realism? These are space knights who fly millions of miles in their flying cathedrals to run across the battlefield in clankly techno armour (that they worship) so they can hit their enemy in the face with swords, hammers, and chainsaws (that they also worship, praise the immortal machine god!).

I also really don't appreciate your comments about the new codexes being for "power gamers" and not being a "gamers army". What exactly would you constitute as a "gamers army", and where do you get off passing comments like that? :eyebrows:

I'd say to the OP, read the codexes that interest you, and go with your gut feeling. I chose to play Space Wolves long before the new codex was a badly thought out idea in Phil Kelly's head, I picked them because I love the vikingy feel they have about them. Enormously bearded power armoured lunatics that enjoy a good punch up and a strong mead, now that's just cool. Also, the Space Wolves codex to me, is probably the most divergant from "vanilla" Space Marines, the infantry squads all have different names, and slightly different roles than the norm. For example, Grey Hunters are broadly analagous to Tactical Marines, but hit a lot harder in combat due to their extra attacks and Counterattack, and can be much more mobile, due to not being tied down by heavy weapons, and Blood Claws are a halfway house between Scouts, and footslogging Assault Marines. Seeing a full squad of 15 of them with a Wolf Priest (read: Chaplain) in tow steamrollering into combat is just cool.

Bathawk
02-05-2010, 03:15
got the SPace Wolves codex, thanks

Alos appreciate the "get feeling better soon" comments, I appreciated that even more. Though to be fair I wasn't in an accident or anything (kidney stones)

so planning on grabbign a drink and settling in with my new purchase

DigitalDogParty
02-05-2010, 03:18
Sounds solid. Also, kidney stones suck...since my dad has them.

Anyways, good luck with the Space Wolves. They are quite interesting as a Space Marine army considering you can't just be like, "Oh...I'll take some Tactical squads...some of these...some of those..."; they are quite unique.

HerrDusty
02-05-2010, 03:20
Enjoy, and get well soon, I had heart surgery in June last year, I found building, painting, and reading really helped my with my recovery.

Make sure you grab the FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m800008a_FAQ_SpaceWolves_Jan2010) from the Games Workshop website as well before you start any games with the Space Wolves, they have some.... issues that required a 6 page document to fix, haha :p

hobodog
02-05-2010, 04:46
space wolf codex is the funnest codex Games Workshop has released for a while. There are so many options and so much customization possible. I would definately go Space WOlves

Bathawk
08-05-2010, 11:08
moot point, stone is acting up again, once this is over I'll be getting Blood angels and Battle missions...hell at the this point I should reward myself with a Baneblade

Aedes
08-05-2010, 13:06
Ouch.
Hope you get better soon!
And- Blood Angels is a great choice.
Wolves are just furry.
Boooring.

Bathawk
09-05-2010, 09:12
well already got Space Wolves the last time

unless I want to get Cities of Death, inquisition or Witchhunters, those are the only books I don't have yet

feeling better but wasted, think the Morophine kicked my backside more than the stone did

Purifactor
23-06-2010, 09:16
[QUOTE=HerrDusty;4623439]*snort* realism? These are space knights who fly millions of miles in their flying cathedrals to run across the battlefield in I also really don't appreciate your comments about the new codexes being for "power gamers" and not being a "gamers army". What exactly would you constitute as a "gamers army", and where do you get off passing comments like that? :eyebrows:

yes this is true, but I come from a time when it was more about tactics than flying tanks and stuff. let the orks have funky stuff like that, as you say...futur knights. They should have a sense of old fashioned class in my oppinion.