PDA

View Full Version : Infantry/Nurgle Warriors of Chaos

ShaggothLord
02-05-2010, 03:49
Starting a Nurgle Warriors of Chaos army, and want it to be primarily of infantry. Sure, I'm going to want some hard fast supports such as Knights and Chariots, and the near compulsory hounds and fast cav, but how do you think I should be going about doing this? I also think magic should be a key part, yes? Good sniping and the possibility of regenerating warriors is awesome! Also, palanquins for both sorcerors and fighting characters, good? Should I always have a champion in a unit with a character so don't aways have to challenge? And in 2000 points, how about Chosen? Are they worth it? I appreciate if you can answer any of these questions. Thank you!

SL

shinankoku
02-05-2010, 04:03
Easiest answer first: Chosen are never worth it (IMHO). Next: Festus is *always* worth it. Problem is he's not much of a fighter, so you must *always* protect him. Now, the mark of Nurgle is a fantastic mark, but by limiting yourself to one mark, you do reduce your overall effectiveness. Personally, i think themed armies rock, and i love me some father nurgle!! Just be aware that you pay for that coolness just a little with not being quite as effective. C'est la vie. Having said that, Nurgle has one of the best lores of magic, and coming magic heavy is certainly an option. The palanquin is 50 point for more armor (you're mounted), gives you fear (not that great any more, but it's not nothing), and 6 poisoned attacks. It's a bit application specific (better against high T, low armor armies like Orks and Ogres than, say, elves) but solid. Note: don't give the character on the palanquin a great weapon :(

Btw: the banner of rage is great on Knights with the mark of nurgle. Just on case you hadn't noticed.

ShaggothLord
02-05-2010, 04:21
The problem is my area frowns upon special characters. While causing fear may not be that great, it also gives immunity to fear, which i find a nice bonus. Too bad I haven't played any games with Warriors of Chaos yet. I am not concerned about Mono Marks though, some day I might do an army for each god. :D

shinankoku
02-05-2010, 04:35
I certainly understand that individual areas can be 'unique'. Santa Fe NM, where i am, is filled with crazies, each with a 'unique rules interpretation'. Having said that, and trying to not be judgmental here, there is are fundamental problems with not liking/allowing/frowning on special characters in this rules set: 1) they are 'officially' allowed. 2) more importantly, they really even things out. Focus on the second one: not allowing special characters advantages certain armies (more powerful ones) over others. Do you have many daemon or undead players whee you are? These armies are going to laugh themselves silly if you can't bring Wulfrick the Wonderer or Festus! These charcters offer some of the only solutions you have to some of the crap they can pump out. What about the lack of any flyers or skirmishers in the WoC army? Sigvald and Valkia offer the some of the only ways around that. How about steam tanks? Kholek Suneater was obviously designed to help even out the fight against a tank that i would like to bring to my warhammer 40k games!!! I humbly present to you one more argument why you should work on changing your group's mind: your chaos, Warriors of Chaos, and Chaos has *always* had a long history of having crazy-nasty individuals they could bring to battle. It's just the ways it's always been!

Urdokadin
02-05-2010, 06:42
I can say thoroughly that the palanquin's best asset is it's fear generation and the rank filling it provides. My exalted BSB looks quite imposing, but in the end he's still a 2 wound character sitting on a large base.
He tends to look very tasty to Bret lords on griffons and such...but hey, it's worth it to me, means my lvl 4 nurgle lord isn't dealing with a flying birdie.
I run him with bloodskull pendant, enchanted shield and infernal puppet, and he works brilliantly, he's chopped down everything from Orc warbosses to Arch lectors who thought they were smart with the speculum. Str 8 autohits with KB is not to be laughed at.

snottlebocket
02-05-2010, 07:22
I can say thoroughly that the palanquin's best asset is it's fear generation and the rank filling it provides. My exalted BSB looks quite imposing, but in the end he's still a 2 wound character sitting on a large base.
He tends to look very tasty to Bret lords on griffons and such...but hey, it's worth it to me, means my lvl 4 nurgle lord isn't dealing with a flying birdie.
I run him with bloodskull pendant, enchanted shield and infernal puppet, and he works brilliantly, he's chopped down everything from Orc warbosses to Arch lectors who thought they were smart with the speculum. Str 8 autohits with KB is not to be laughed at.

If he is on the palanquin he can't use the bloodskull pendant. The palanquin is a mount.

There is no way to use the pendant while having a basesize larger than 25mm.

Ozorik
02-05-2010, 08:39
Starting a Nurgle Warriors of Chaos army, and want it to be primarily of infantry. Sure, I'm going to want some hard fast supports such as Knights and Chariots, and the near compulsory hounds and fast cav, but how do you think I should be going about doing this? I also think magic should be a key part, yes? Good sniping and the possibility of regenerating warriors is awesome! Also, palanquins for both sorcerors and fighting characters, good? Should I always have a champion in a unit with a character so don't aways have to challenge? And in 2000 points, how about Chosen? Are they worth it? I appreciate if you can answer any of these questions. Thank you!

SL

Mono Nurgle functions perfectly well, the lack of other marks doesn't unduly restrict you. The only mono god lists that don't work that well are Khorne and, to an extent, Tzeentch.

Only mark key units, marauder horsemen units are too cheap for the mark to be worth it. As a general rule I only mark units who are over 200 points.

Currently infantry heavy builds are 'suboptimal' but in the new edition it looks like they will be better than the all cav list that is so popular now. If you do go infantry heavy don't scimp on marauders, they are a vital part of the army as warriors alone will be vastly outnumbered and outmanoeuvred.

I wouldn't take planaquins, they aren't worth the 50 points IMO.

The inclusion of unit champions depends on the character that they accompany. Units with sorcerers need them but units with melee heroes don't as the hero gets an eye of the gods role if he kills a champion in a challenge and your units generally have the hitting power on their own. Personally I only take champions with marauder infantry blocks as warrior and knight champions are very expensive for an extra attack and marauder blocks are most likely to have a sorcerer.

Chosen are very powerful, but very expensive and they are a massive fire magnet. If they should make contact they will make a big dent but there is a good chance that they will get killed on the way in. I wouldn't field them (mainly because warriors do the same job for less) but they are not a terrible unit and will be able to hold there own if they don't get filled full of crossbow quarrels.

snottlebocket
02-05-2010, 08:45
Units with sorcerers need them but units with melee heros don't as the hero gets an eye of the gods role if he kills a champion in a challenge and your units generally have the hitting power on their own.

You never get an eye of the gods roll for killing unit champions. You get a roll for killing enemy characters in challenges, not for just killing something in a challenge. Explicitly not unit champions.

Ozorik
02-05-2010, 08:52
Has that actually been explicitly stated though? They eye of the gods wording doesn't exclude unit champions and Phil Kelly did exactly this in the WoC battle report.

I see that the champion rules explicitly state that they are not characters now. It seems that Phil Kelly should know his own rules a bit better.

snottlebocket
02-05-2010, 12:07
Has that actually been explicitly stated though? They eye of the gods wording doesn't exclude unit champions and Phil Kelly did exactly this in the WoC battle report.

I see that the champion rules explicitly state that they are not characters now. It seems that Phil Kelly should know his own rules a bit better.

It's also been faq'd. For what it's worth you can still get semi easy rolls by forcing monsters to flee and running them down in pursuit.