PDA

View Full Version : Stand and Fight! - An Ongoing Praetorian IG Project

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Col.Gravis
18-02-2006, 21:42
For sixth months Ive managed not to touch a paintbrush or a modelling tool, the whole project of recreating my Praetorian force with a more 'Victorian' feel to it has ground to a total halt. I'm getting in the mood again now though and hoping perhaps by doing a thread like this it'll help me along with making progress, that and the fact I'd like to be ready for this years tournament season!

I've got alot of things I want to be able to do with the army, the core of it is going to be a Infantry Company from what would be a line Regiment, in my case the 57th Praetorian Foot. This company is 110 men strong (accurate for the Zulu Wars period) including three Officers, I've decided to split it into a Command HQ with a JO in the role of the company Captain and three Platoons each of a Command Section lead by JO's (Two Lieutenants and a Colour Sergeant) and three Infantry Squads.

Next up is the Heavy Weapons Batteries, each historiclly accurate with 6 Guns per Battery (nice an easy for Heavy Weapons Squads), Lascannons (eqv 12 Pdr), Autocannons (eqv 6 Pdr) and Gatling Guns (Heavy Bolters). I'd also like to add a Battery of Howitzers (Mortars) and Rockets (Missile Launchers) though thats less of a priority.

The final core part of the first phase is Roughriders, I prefer to field small squadrons in most games, so I'll be iaming for 10 Lancers which I can field in two Squadrons of five.

Later on I've got plans to add more Roughriders both Lancers and also adding Dragoons (Lasgun armed) and Hussars (Laspistol & CCW armed). More infantry is in order with Light Infantry (Veterans), Guards - wearing Busby's, Highland Infantry (including Ogryns) and Life Guards (Grenadiers/Storm Troopers) all in order. Theres also the issue of tanks, I've a few ideas, but thats still to come ;)

BlazeXI
18-02-2006, 21:57
Praetorians were always the most interesting Guard for me (followed closely by Valhallans). Are you be going to use the limited minis or these are going to be conversions?

Col.Gravis
18-02-2006, 22:07
Original Praetorians with some conversions chucked in, I already have floating around more then enough for the job in hand unpainted. Indeed as I mentioned the project is ongoing, I can currently field a Combat Patrol from my revamped army, but thats about it. Alot of these have been posted before, but heres a few of the current bits, the total finished include one full Infantry Platoon (but using the Captain conversion - the Lieutenant not having been painted yet), 3 Gatling Guns and Autocannons and a single Lascannon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/DSCF0011.jpg
Gatling Gun, Lascannon, Autocannon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/DSCF0026.jpg
Grenade Launcher, Captain conversion, Guardsman

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/1stArtilleryCrew.jpg
Guardsman (Sergeant actually, I've been sculpting chevrons for Sergeants and Corporals), Artillery Crewman

There are a few pics of my old army and some other bits which are work in progress also on my photobucket account including the Standard Bearer, a Mk1 concept for a Life Guard and a concept picture for a Tank based on a WW1 Whippet.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/

t-tauri
18-02-2006, 23:16
I do like your stuff. Very evocative of the Victorian period. I look forward to seeing more.

Aenarion
18-02-2006, 23:35
I like you're Standard Bearer, the only nit pic I have is that the green stuff foot, looks alittle large. Shall be good to see how this project comes along!

Col.Gravis
18-02-2006, 23:41
TY ;)

With the Standard Bearer I think the reason the foot looks a little large in some of those pics is its being viewed diagonally, top down its actually pretty much identical in size to the other, its usually the right hand people pick up on, which is infact a little larger then I'd of liked, but its close enough that I dont wanna risk fiddling it any further.

Anvils Hammer
18-02-2006, 23:56
nice, I love praets, and yours are looking rather good, i liek the standard bearer, that will be a nice command squad center peice.

old guard
19-02-2006, 09:05
Particularly like the look of that chimera conversion. is that going to be the demolisher alluded to in the other part of your bucket folder? i look forward to seeing more of that.

Col.Gravis
19-02-2006, 10:59
Ah if your looking at the one in 'Misc Imperial Guard' thats actually one of Anvil Hammers works minus its turret, a conversion that I rather liked, my intention is too do something quite similar for my own Chimera's sometime in the future.

All I've got to show for the upcomming demolisher is one track assembly at the moment, once the hulls complete I'll post some pics but thats gonna be some time comming most likely.

Anvils Hammer
19-02-2006, 11:49
what what!! photo theft!!!!

Im outraged that you consider my conversion worthy of your photobucket account! :)

Darkseer
19-02-2006, 12:58
Col.Gravis here's a gift gif for you :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Necromunda/prets.gif

Aenarion
19-02-2006, 13:04
hahahaha nice one darkseer

Darkseer
19-02-2006, 13:25
*bows*

...;)

Yodhrin
19-02-2006, 14:11
Col.Gravis here's a gift gif for you :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Necromunda/prets.gif

Best. Avatar. EVER.

Col.Gravis
19-02-2006, 20:06
Thats bloody fantastic Darkseer, ta very much! :)

Seems the forums dont like animated avatars tho :(

BlazeXI
21-03-2006, 23:03
Any progress Colonel Gravis?

Col.Gravis
07-04-2006, 19:13
Only so far that I got the sig working lol, Im looking at my standard bearer right now though an theres a paint brush sitting next to me, I think that'll be a good return to the game ;)

Red Skullz
07-04-2006, 20:04
I remember fondly when they first came as a limited edition army box. You`ve done them great justice and I`m really looking forward on seing the further progress of this army.

Erestor
08-04-2006, 11:37
So we should expect a painted standard bearer soon then?

Col.Gravis
08-04-2006, 13:05
Fairly soon lol, I've done most of the basic work now, currently working on how best to do the standard itself. I'm not going for an overly complex design, its just a company standard afterall I'd sooner do something grander for the Regimental Colours. Instead I'm going for something simple but that has lots of movement, basicly to enhance the effect from the model that the colour is being carried in a half advance-half charge, in an ideal world this sort of effect you see on the Union Jack, though we'll see how it turns out.
Currently I'm experimenting with using tissue to achieve this which I'll fix with watered down PVA.

http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/N/N00/N00733_8.jpg

Col.Gravis
09-05-2006, 18:52
Been a little while, with not alot of progress since I last posted, just a few shots since I took them for another site of how the whole lot look at the moment, the Standard Bearer is almost finished, Ill do a close up of it once I've done the standard itself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/P5090006.jpg

Slightly better pic of just the Infantry:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/P5090007.jpg

Slightly better pic of the HQ & Heavy Weapons:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/P5090008.jpg

Morden279
09-05-2006, 21:52
Being a Zulu War aficionado myself, I can honestly say that I love the Praetorians, and these guys are fantastic.

Gravis, have you thought about converting the Gatling gun heavy bolters to the naval type with the cylindrical drum magazine instead of the sickle type? To my knowledge, it was naval ones that were deployed at Ulundi, and I have an idea of how to convert the drums if you're interested. In addition, have you thought about making a rocket battery to represent mortars? Extremely easy to do using a half-pipe of brass tubing, a bipod, and the plastic missile from the Cadian Heavy weapons sprue. Hell, give me a shout and I'll send you three of mine myself! :)

Col.Gravis
09-05-2006, 22:59
Yeah I did give some thought to a cylinder ammo drum, (your quite right that naval Gatlings were deployed during the campaign, though that said so was the armies first Gatling battery) I decided against it in the end simply for simplicity, I had an ample supply of the old Heavy Bolters and they fitted perfectly with the Sentinel Assault Cannon with very little work, I know its not toally historiccly accurate but I think it gets the right effect.

I've given some thought to Rockets also though I've not made any move on actually modelling some yet. I'm also of two minds whether to do them as Mortars which would better fit the actual weapons effect or to leave the Mortars so I can do a Howitzer artillery piece which really just seems like a cool concept, even if again its not entirely historiclly accurate.

To make the launcher, it should actually be a V shaped 'launcher' as opposed to a half pipe (as picture below), I've played around with the idea pretty much as you described other then that difference though, once the I've done my full Infantry Company (another two Platoons of 35 each) and 6 Guns and crew for each of Gatling, Lascannon and Autocannon it'll probably be one of my next projects, or sooner perhaps, I'll see how I get on!

Hales Rocket Trough
http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/rocketrocket/rac.jpg

highmarshaldave
09-05-2006, 23:11
Erm. . . Rocket trough = mortars and big field gun = missile launcher.

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
09-05-2006, 23:22
It's a fair point highmarshaldave, though as I mentioned above some Howitzers of sorts really appeal to me, something like these below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%20Imperial%20Guard/model1_b.jpg

Of course thats not to say I could'nt use something like those to represent another class of field gun which as you mentioned could use Missile Launcher rules, the thought had occured to me though Im not entirely satisfied with the idea (mostly I'd say from the gamers point of view, I can just forsee some people being awkward with Rockets being Mortars and Mortars being Rockets). Its something to ponder.

highmarshaldave
09-05-2006, 23:28
Hmm, I feel the missile launcher = field gun is a logical idea.

Most light to medium field guns had multiple types of ammo for varying purposses, and were faily accurate direct fire weapons. By comparrison, early rocket launchers were horribly primitive, rellying on luck, a good wind and a high explosive warhead to achive anything. See. . .

Course, battery of long range field guns = bassilisk. And battery of short range howitsers = medusa. With heavy bolter team for defence. . . Modled on a big base. With earthworks.

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
09-05-2006, 23:34
From the viewpoint of someone who understands why these things should be represented that way I agree, but I'm not counting on that being common, and certainly in the tourny enviroment for example which I regularly frequent. I quite agree with what your saying, Hales Rockets wer'nt employed in Zululand for their destructive ability, but rather because it was felt at the time it 'scared the natives' which it clearly did'nt, they seem to have infact viewed them with some degree of contempt. (lol which does actually sounds alot like most peoples opinions of Mortars actually lol)

Definately agreed with the vehicle analogies, that'll be something I'll again tackle much later on.

Seventh Stone
10-05-2006, 06:04
They look amazing. I love the artillery conversions :)

Morden279
10-05-2006, 09:03
To make the launcher, it should actually be a V shaped 'launcher' as opposed to a half pipe (as picture below)

Quite right sir, I overlooked that in favour of the easy option of hacksaw+brass=trough. Consider my wrists slapped, I'm normally a stickler for historicaly accuracy. ;)

However, I really do think a Hales rocket battery wouold be the perfect parallel to a squad of mortars. I agree with highmarshaldave about field guns being missile launchers - it's the direction I've gone with my BEF IG, but I appreciate that your chaps are a good few decades earlier and may want to do your own thing.

Lastly, are you taking Rough Riders? Having a cavalry squadron in navy blue jackets bearing pennant lances would look brilliant, and really top your army off with that mid-late colonial look. (Again I'm having flashbacks to Ulundi, here.)

http://www.zuluwar.com/dhm1244.jpg

Col.Gravis
10-05-2006, 15:14
Well I'll have to wait and see, looking at those two heavy weapons is for me a fair bit ahead yet, the other three are my core choices, the others I see more as being useful extras.

Definately there'll be cavalry, Lancers (Hunting Lances), Dragoons (Lascarbines) and Hussars (CCW & Pistol), I've experimented with their modelling in my previous Praetorian force though they were redcoated, the new ones will go with historical uniforms, which certainly in the case of Lancers means Blue Coats with White Trim, the Dragoons meanwhile will be Red Coated, Hussars, well to be honest I hav'nt looked into their uniform yet for this period.

firestorm40k
10-05-2006, 18:59
I'm not up on British Military History, but I can tell you for sure that this army looks seriously great! Well done, Col.Gravis! :D :cool:

Christine
10-05-2006, 19:37
Bizarely I was digging through my Praetorians yesterday evening thinking I should do something with them and lo and behold inspiration appears!

Did you make the pointing captain using the vehicle mounted commissar body? He looks amazing!

Morden279
10-05-2006, 20:32
Definately there'll be cavalry, Lancers (Hunting Lances), Dragoons (Lascarbines) and Hussars (CCW & Pistol), I've experimented with their modelling in my previous Praetorian force though they were redcoated, the new ones will go with historical uniforms, which certainly in the case of Lancers means Blue Coats with White Trim, the Dragoons meanwhile will be Red Coated, Hussars, well to be honest I hav'nt looked into their uniform yet for this period.

Have you thought about modelling Sikali (Natal Native) Horse as carbineers instead of using Dragoons? They'd offer added uniform variety with their khaki fatigues and fit in brilliantly with the inherant colonial/Zulu War theme of the Praetorians themselves. (They fought with historically overlooked bravery and fortitude at Isandhlwana.) Foundry sell the relevant minatures if you fancied doing a few headswaps. Here's a picture:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/DA/22/6b.jpg

I'm not sure about period Hussars either, but I'll have a gander on the 'net and see what I can find. :)

Col.Gravis
10-05-2006, 21:50
@ Christine, its the old Tank Commander which used to ship with the Leman Russ prior to the new accessory sprue, just a Praet leg & head swap and a few other minor alterations to finish.

I'll add to the pics my old Praetorian Commander at this point as well, did it a few years back (which shows quite alot when you put it up against my new models first person - the pics of the new stuff detract from it somewhat I'm finding) though it was the second version of the model, I'll do a third version later on for the Battalion CO, hopefully my sculpting and painting have increased enough by now to do such an officer justice lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Old%20Praetorians/20060DSCF0001-med.jpg

@ Morden, I like that idea quite alot, not something I'd considered (though I think I'd end up doing both lol), I'd really have to look at a way of doing it either from scratch or with GW components tho, I'm trying to keep it all done in such a way that I could potentially use any elements at a GT for example, rather annoyingly they dont allow you to use even elements of other models in your figures for these events.

I'll have a dig around for Hussars myself later on, f you do happen to spot anything though I'd love to hear about it :)

Morden279
10-05-2006, 22:51
@ Morden, I like that idea quite alot, not something I'd considered (though I think I'd end up doing both lol), I'd really have to look at a way of doing it either from scratch or with GW components tho, I'm trying to keep it all done in such a way that I could potentially use any elements at a GT for example, rather annoyingly they dont allow you to use even elements of other models in your figures for these events.

I'll have a dig around for Hussars myself later on, f you do happen to spot anything though I'd love to hear about it

If you didn't want to use the Foundry models, slouch hats would be possible to green stuff with practice (I'm rubbish, myself...). As for the heads themselves, I'm sure you have the choice; just avoid caucasian-looking beards/moustaches and you'll be fine. :)

The tournament model restrictions you mention are actually quite worrying, at least from my point of view, as most of my Guard are going to feature head swaps from other ranges. To be honest, I disapprove of such restrictions, especially if the use of other components is something that minor. On that note, don't you find it ironic that the Praetorians themselves actually started of life as Mordians using the heads from 25mm Zulu War miniatures? How such laissez-faire attitudes change... ;)

Anyway, a Google turned up this, a picture of a late Victorian Hussar officer's tunic!

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thinred/Uniforms/Uniform%20Pictures/VRBG%20tunic.jpg

However, contrast that with this portrait of a turn-of-the-century 19th Hussar:

http://www.military-uniforms.com/images/xaa19hcpl_small.jpg

My Osprey book on the Old Contemptibles portrays an 11th Hussar in home service full dress wearing the same blue tunic as the 19th Hussar above, only with red breeches instead of blue - I think they varied from regiment to regiment. In conclusion, I think that the hussars of the late-victorian period wore dark blue tunics with gold braiding uniformally and that the scarlet jacket was for officer's occasion dress only.

BTW: That mounted officer is increadible, I'd love for you to do him again and post a step-by-step guide right here in P&T!

Kasrkin
10-05-2006, 23:05
Col. Gravis, that has to be one of the coolest Guard commanders I have ever seen. :D Love it- looks so pompus! lol!

Col.Gravis
14-05-2006, 22:56
Yeah, should be easy enough really to do, I'll probably tackle it that way. I dislike the restrictions strongly as well, I can understand to a point if its whole models, but where it is simple heads swaps or where the majority of components used at least are GW I see no reason why they should'nt allow it.

I was'nt aware the Praets used heads from another range tho(?) I was under the impression the Perry twins had simply sculpted new heads fro the range?

Nice finds, thanks for sharing :) (would have responded sooner but Ive been a bit busy this weekend), I think I'll probably go with a refinded blue scheme, maybe as you say gold (tho I'll use yellow I expect) which will leave a difference between the Hussars and Lancers, it is tempting to try an sculpt some Busby's as well, if only to make them something different, cant be too difficult, I guess consisantcy might be though.

TY for the comments on the Officer, though I like the model, I really dislike the paint job on him now, and being as he uses alot of green stuff and plastic in addition to the metal components I suspect stripping it would probably end up messy, so yeah, new version somewhere down the line!

For the moment though the Standard is just about finished, Ive done all the base work now, I printed out a design on the PC on paper (Aquilla with Scroll on one side, company and battalion designation on the other, nothing elaborate), then applied a single layer of tissue (1 ply) to the paper to get the right texture and once dried painted the banners base colours following the design underneath. Tommorrow Im gonna try and attach it too the banner pole, I thinking Ill pretty much soak it with watered down PVA first tho to get the dymanic curves if I can, once thats all dried apply the highlights and hopefully that'll be that more or less! Watch this space!

Morden279
15-05-2006, 08:50
Yeah, should be easy enough really to do, I'll probably tackle it that way. I dislike the restrictions strongly as well, I can understand to a point if its whole models, but where it is simple heads swaps or where the majority of components used at least are GW I see no reason why they should'nt allow it.

Well, I guess I'll have to find out how my boys are treated when I field them eventually. I have exactly the same perspective as you on this one, I really do't see why some people have to be so obtuse.

I was'nt aware the Praets used heads from another range tho(?) I was under the impression the Perry twins had simply sculpted new heads fro the range?

You may be right mate, but that's just the way I remember reading about the Praetorians back in an old 2nd edition WD. I still have it somewhere, I'll try and dig it out.

Nice finds, thanks for sharing :) (would have responded sooner but Ive been a bit busy this weekend), I think I'll probably go with a refinded blue scheme, maybe as you say gold (tho I'll use yellow I expect) which will leave a difference between the Hussars and Lancers, it is tempting to try an sculpt some Busby's as well, if only to make them something different, cant be too difficult, I guess consisantcy might be though.

No problem! As for the gold frogging, I honestly don't know if that was for home service dress only, and that it was replaced by matching blue frogging on campaign to look less conspiculous. It might be an idea to find a Victorian military re-enactment forum and post a topic on there featuring any questions you have - I'm sure the members would have a wealth of information to provide. :)
Busbys would look awesome, and in my experience, I medium between variety and similarity is something you should strive for. As a result, the blue jackets would distinguish themselves as cavalry like the lancers, but the busbys would differentiate them as hussars, along with thier sabres. In other words, go for it!

TY for the comments on the Officer, though I like the model, I really dislike the paint job on him now, and being as he uses alot of green stuff and plastic in addition to the metal components I suspect stripping it would probably end up messy, so yeah, new version somewhere down the line!

Excellent, can't wait to see it mate!

For the moment though the Standard is just about finished, Ive done all the base work now, I printed out a design on the PC on paper (Aquilla with Scroll on one side, company and battalion designation on the other, nothing elaborate), then applied a single layer of tissue (1 ply) to the paper to get the right texture and once dried painted the banners base colours following the design underneath. Tommorrow Im gonna try and attach it too the banner pole, I thinking Ill pretty much soak it with watered down PVA first tho to get the dymanic curves if I can, once thats all dried apply the highlights and hopefully that'll be that more or less! Watch this space! !

I was thinking of modelling my Enfield standard out of plasticard layers and strips to make it look "embossed" like the GW Cadian standard, topped off with one of those brassed-etched FW Aquilas. It's pretty ambitious, but I think it'd look top once completed. However, I'm a novice at scratch banner-making, so I'd greatly like to see how yours turns out.

Col.Gravis
15-05-2006, 21:46
Well, I guess I'll have to find out how my boys are treated when I field them eventually. I have exactly the same perspective as you on this one, I really do't see why some people have to be so obtuse.

Agreed, I guess I've just taken the root of taking no chances, its a shame because it closes so many avenues, but at least I hope I wont run into any problems.

You may be right mate, but that's just the way I remember reading about the Praetorians back in an old 2nd edition WD. I still have it somewhere, I'll try and dig it out.

I'm not sure lol, I might have a dig around myself I dont remember it mentioning anything about that in there mind, but then thats not to say they'd say that if it were the case.

No problem! As for the gold frogging, I honestly don't know if that was for home service dress only, and that it was replaced by matching blue frogging on campaign to look less conspiculous. It might be an idea to find a Victorian military re-enactment forum and post a topic on there featuring any questions you have - I'm sure the members would have a wealth of information to provide. :)

Yeah I may well do that, I have visited a few forums, mostly when I was trying to establish unit strength, most useful I found site I believe www.rourkesdriftvc.com very interesting forums they had there actually.

Busbys would look awesome, and in my experience, I medium between variety and similarity is something you should strive for. As a result, the blue jackets would distinguish themselves as cavalry like the lancers, but the busbys would differentiate them as hussars, along with thier sabres. In other words, go for it!

All very true lol, well Hussars will probably be the second group of Roughriders I do so thats something for me too think about, I'll have to do a few practice runs though at some point!

I was thinking of modelling my Enfield standard out of plasticard layers and strips to make it look "embossed" like the GW Cadian standard, topped off with one of those brassed-etched FW Aquilas. It's pretty ambitious, but I think it'd look top once completed. However, I'm a novice at scratch banner-making, so I'd greatly like to see how yours turns out.

Yeah I thought about doing something very similar early on, taking a blank plastic standard and scuplting on the detail and icons, the attempt I made at it turned out rather poor though and was'nt dynamic enough. The finished standard bearer is sitting on my bedside table now and its really come out better then I expected, certainly the dynamism is there I think, Ill post pics tommorrow along with how I did the conversion.

Killshot
15-05-2006, 22:42
This thread is making me really regret selling my Praetorians! Oh well, that was years ago.....

Anyways, I was going to convert some Empire Pistoliers into Praetorian Rough Riders at some point. Not quite what you are looking for, but they are GW tourny legal.

Inquis. Jaeger
15-05-2006, 23:57
As to RR - to represent the Natal Native Horse, these (http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c894012igrriders-h.htm) (top left) well old guys could work well.

Col.Gravis
16-05-2006, 13:19
Ah classic Roughriders, so much better then the Attilians, well the head would be right if I could get hold of enough of them at the right price, I'm not too sure about the body though, its difficult to tell from the scanned image but I think it might be a little overarmoured to get the right feel for the NNH, still something to think about, and quite possibly would be a good source on how best to sculpt my own hats (I feel terrible calling them that but I cant think of the proper name for that style right now).

Col.Gravis
17-05-2006, 17:16
Standard Bearer pictures, excuse the first one a bit light due to the flash, came out better then the pic without flash though but you lose some of the blending in the standard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/standard1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/standard2.jpg

With that job finished its gonna be a bit more of the same now, a couple of Lascannons and some more Artillery Crewmen, I wont bother with any updates for these, once those are done however Im going to tackle my first batch of five Lancers, should be interesting!

colhodg
17-05-2006, 19:28
"(I feel terrible calling them that but I cant think of the proper name for that style right now)."

Pith helmet. And the standard really does look excellent.

Col.Gravis
17-05-2006, 19:48
"(I feel terrible calling them that but I cant think of the proper name for that style right now)."

Pith helmet. And the standard really does look excellent.

Nah, not the Pith Helmets lol, I've got one of those myself so I know what they are lol, I meant the sloutch hat as worn by the Roughrider Inquis. Jaeger pointed out.

Thankyou for your comments though :)

cpl_hicks
17-05-2006, 22:28
took me a while to find it but

It took a couple of failures before I got it looking how I wanted. But once I sorted it out it only took about 10 mins per hat.

1. Cut off the top of the models head. :D
2. Roll two balls of GS about the same diameter as the models head, which as Festus has so kindly pointed out is a little bit too much, ;) so make them slightly smaller.
3. Squash one of the balls flat and attach it to the flat surface left after step 1.
4. Press the second ball of GS onto the top of the head and use a sculpting tool to blend the sides of the ball into a good join with the brim.
5. Mark a band around the hat. I use the back edge of my scalpel for this.

For what you want that is a far as you need to go. After that I just turned up the left side of the brim and added a winged skull from a Cadian helmet.

from the Imperial Guard Regiment - 2nd Serican Light Horse (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=376328#post376328)

Erestor
18-05-2006, 10:52
Hi Nice standard! Is that Aquila hand painted or a decal?

I'd have given the top anothe highlight in gold, but that's just me.

Exquisite job on the pith helmet.

Col.Gravis
18-05-2006, 12:21
Nice one cpl_hicks, that'll be a great help, just what I needed really :)

Erestor it is hand painted yes, but on the paper beneath the tissue as I mentioned on the previous page had an outline printed on it for the Aquilla, scroll outline and letter/number on the other side so I did cheat a bit ;) Your right possibly it could do with another gold highlight, I must admit I did'nt really get on with that bit and did'nt enjoy it in the least, could do with some more work, the Lasgun barrlel on the side shown in the first pick looks bad as well, I'm not sure if its a reflection from the varnish caused by the flash doing that or if I really did manage to buggar up the shading on it, I'll take a brush back to this one a bit later for some touch ups I think.

EmperorsChamp01
22-05-2006, 21:45
Really looks good Gravis. I have one question. Are you converting the Prats or are you using the models? It been bugging me since the beggining

Col.Gravis
23-05-2006, 17:47
TY

They're all original Praetorian models in the current force though obviously there are a few conversions such the Officer which uses an old tank commanders torso (I did use a few Mordians in my mechanised units last time though this time those models will have busby's sculpted on as Guards).

Col.Gravis
10-06-2006, 11:14
Right, I'm waking this Project Thread up again now, the Lascannons are finished and I'm just working on the final batch of Artillery crew for the moment, they'll be finished by the end of the comming week.

I've decided the next part of the project that I'm going to tackle is the Grenadiers and their transport vehicles in that order, I'm looking at two squads of ten each with a Sergeant and 2 Plasma Gunners, with transports which will have something closer to a classic British WW1 tank then anything else. The Grenadiers are going to take on the roll of 'Life Guards', an historic British Calavry Regiment, but updated for my purposes as a Mechanised Regiment, the uniform of these guys basicly a Red Tunic, often with silver carapace armour, white trousers, thigh high black boots and an ornate helmet with plume, a couple of pictures below:

http://www.markgoldstein.co.uk/albums/album54/CRW_2009_JFR.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Ceremony.lifeguard.london.arp.jpg/250px-Ceremony.lifeguard.london.arp.jpg http://www.onlyhorsespictures.com/images/trooping/lifeguar.jpg

I may also incorporate a Napleonic uniform, specificly I'm looking at the helmet in this example a sa distinct possibility, though it's probably gonna be harder to achieve.

http://napoleonuniforme.free.fr/anglais/cavalerie/garde/LifeGuards01.jpg

I'm going to base the models on resculpted Cadian plastics, I've reshape the armoured vest to something more resembling the Life Guards armour, adjust the skirt of the tunic with the standard Praetorian look and make modifications to the legs, noteably removing the pockets and working on the boots. I'm intending to leave the armoured shoulder pads, but the guns I'm still a little unsure about to create a Helgun from the Cadian Lasgun that looks suitable bulky, thats gonna need some work.

Erestor
10-06-2006, 14:24
The concept sounds spiffy Col. Look forward to seeing the concept made real.

Col.Gravis
02-07-2006, 12:12
Bit later then planned but I've started work on the first of the models now, I've gone through so many test models its not even funny some of the plastic cadian legs just make the models stand out too much from the regular Praetorians so I ditched them intially, I tried remodelling actual Praetorians and Kasrkin but neither produced satisfactory results, so I've ditched some of the Plastic Cadian legs but otherwise gone back to them. Also much to my annoyance I'm finding its easier to get the model looking right by assembling it in full, something I'd rather have avoided to ease painting, still needs must.

At the moment I've done much to the basic assembly, the basis of the Carapace armour is sculpted on, and I've done the join between Cadian body & Praetorian head. I really struggled to settle on a Helgun, in the end I've gone for the stock Cadian rifle with the barrel end replaced with that of the Catachan weapon extending it by about 4mm. I've removed the clip itself and will at a later stage connect it too a backpack (probably based on a the Vox) with guitar wire or similar, on the inside of the gun to make it look a little more 'high-tech' I've put a cut down scope from the space marine tactical sprue, not perfect but looks more or less right.

Next on the agenda is too add epualettes to the shoulders to bulk it out a little (I removed the shoulder pads as these did'nt fit with the armour of the Life Guards uniform - see the pics in my last post), I also want to add some gloves, beyond that is boots, belt & pouches and the headdress, I've still not decided on which version to take as my basis there though.

Front 1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/front1.jpg

Rear 1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/rear1.jpg

highmarshaldave
03-07-2006, 10:10
Very nifty there sir. . . very nifty indeed.

Personally, I'd go for the sash and a marine bolter-mag pouch for the hellgun ammo. Or (for real sillyness/period look) make it a sort of "bolt-action" style weapon. Every shot requires you to manually load a AA battery (cell. . .).

Just an idea. . .

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
03-07-2006, 17:39
I'd definately like to do a sash, Im gonna see how it looks at each stage though as I dont want to end up with an overcluttered model, plus I've gota do another 29 of these once this first ones done, I dont want to overcomplicated on those grounds.

Thats actually a really interesting suggestion though (bolt-action style weapon), I suppose that would be a Las-lock as used by the Chaos occupation forces in Traitor General, I'm not sure I'll grab at it for these models but with a little tinkering that would look really cool on troops maybe in full ceremonial dress, perhaps a Command Section for the squads?

highmarshaldave
04-07-2006, 09:15
Yeah, sounds cool. Or perhaps for your hardened vets? Maybe you could use it to represent bolters for sergeants/officers/veterans. . .

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
07-07-2006, 16:47
Possibly yeah, bolters sounds good, or of course I could just take that route for snipers perhaps?

Well anyway more progress made, I've tidied the arms and a few other bits (more to do still), added a belt, gloves, epualetts, power pack and started work on the helmet.

Still to do is the plume one the helmet (possibly pure green stuff, possibly a basic shape covered in very fine sand), a guitar wire line from lasgun clip to backback, detail on the boots, a sword (following a suggestion on the Work in Progress forum this will be the one taken from Commissar Yarrickhttp://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010514902&orignav=10 ) and some stowage - probably a small pouch and some grenades. Plus some more tidying ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/wip2front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/wip2rear.jpg

cookiescrumble
07-07-2006, 19:51
Good job so far. What are you going to do for special weapons?

Col.Gravis
07-07-2006, 20:52
I've some of the older metal Space Marine Plasma Guns I picked up cheap on ebay, so it'll just be weapons swaps for the Cadians I think there though I've not decided how to work in packs for them, only that I want too. The Sergeants Helpistol is gonna be more of a problem, hav'nt got a clue how to do that one yet.

ArtificerArmour
07-07-2006, 21:48
Use a bolt pistol but replace the muzzle with that of a lasgun/pistol

Col.Gravis
07-07-2006, 22:01
Sounds like a possibility, Ill have a play around with the idea when I come to the Sergeant, ta very much :) If anyone else has any ideas I'd really appricate any input on this one especially.

highmarshaldave
08-07-2006, 11:43
Why not try and get the revolver from the Necroumnda pistol sprue? Pair that with a ceremonial sabre and some frogging and you're away!

Hadn't throught about bolt-action las guns as snipers. . . You're not planning on ratlings are you? To represent indigeonous marksmen. . . after all, the Empire was all for using loyal locals to supliment its own armies.

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
08-07-2006, 20:34
Thats an idea, I'll have a look at the sprues, the sergeant is the only one I need to start now, Im hanging on until I know exactly what I'm doing with the pistol (though close combat weapon wise I think he's just gonna get a Chainsword from a Praetorian Standard Bearer for cohearancy).

An you know I had'nt intended to do Ratlings, I'm getting the itch now though, Ratlings with Shako's and bolt action Lasgun/Sniper Rifles, oh it so has to be done :D

I would post another updated photo, but batteries are flat. I've added the guitar wire lead and pouches and have done the plume now, very nearly finished just waiting for the swords to arrive in the mail.

Rabid Bunny 666
08-07-2006, 21:48
For the Ratlings, convert the classic Ratskin Juves with Muskets, they look suitably cool, you'd only have to change the heads.

Col.Gravis
08-07-2006, 23:35
Its a good idea, though Im not sure I'll go for it, I must admit I do have a soft spot for the actual Ratling models, if only you could take two units :(

ArtificerArmour
08-07-2006, 23:39
Can't you just paint them green and have them as the 95th Essexian Rifles?

cpl_hicks
08-07-2006, 23:47
Its a good idea, though Im not sure I'll go for it, I must admit I do have a soft spot for the actual Ratling models, if only you could take two units :(

well any trooper with a sniper rifle could be modelled as a ratlin, but that would depend on if you use doctirines (light infantry allows you a sniper rifle in squads instead of a heavy weapon), that sniper model could be represented by a ratlin

Col.Gravis
08-07-2006, 23:48
Thats closer to what I've got in mind, 95th/60th Rifles style uniform scheme, just sculpting on epualetes, a shako (to some of em), and working on the rifle. Giving them shako's wont fit entirely with the Praetorian's, but it just sounds like something fun to do, I can always another more in theme unit later on. That said I've got a fair bit I need to do before I have a crack at them.

Roughly for my 1500pt GT army I need to do 20 Grenadiers, 2 Chimera, 10 Lancers, a Demolisher and probably another 6 Heavy Weapons teams (3 Lascannon, 3 Gatlings), that little lots gota take all priority right now.

Edit:

True that cpl_hicks, would be a way to incorporate both ideas, have to look into it some more.

Getz
09-07-2006, 00:03
Hah! Green Jackets for the Ratlings would nicely explain their built in "cameleoline" abilities...

Gutta
09-07-2006, 09:48
95th Essexian? I'm pretty sure it was just the 95th Rifles....

ArtificerArmour
09-07-2006, 10:27
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Essex_Regiment

It was connected to the South Essex Regiment, the Essexian I just put in to make it sound exotic and sci-fi-y

Col.Gravis
09-07-2006, 10:50
True by the Sharp stories it is, I'm not sure about carrying that into 40k though, it just feels a bit cliche

Yodhrin
09-07-2006, 11:39
What about doing the Ratlings and a couple of Conscript squads as "natives"? Someone did a great conversion of Ratlings into I think it was Ghurkas a while back, turbans and all, they looked excellent.

Col.Gravis
09-07-2006, 11:49
Conscripts will definately make an appearance as 'Native Militia' later on, yeah thats Tom's Praetorian 24th that has the Ghurka Ratlings in it (though he sold his army now :( ), I will be doing Highland Ogryns in a similar vain, we talked about that a while back at one of the Carnage events. While I did like them (the Ratlings) alot, they were very unique and quirky, its not something I fancy doing in my army really.

Col.Gravis
12-07-2006, 17:15
Right, still no sign of those damn swords, that will have to wait till the weekend now, here are some new shots anyway with the piping etc done, just imagine a scabbard on the models left hand side fixed from the belt and angling back towards the backpack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/front3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/sidef3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/rear3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/sider3.jpg

A very crappy close up of the shoulder as requested on another forum, unfortunately the camera wont focus that close in it seems (aint my usual one), the detail is visable but blurred, the rim is there, and the 'flap' on the inner shoulder with the button. Might infact be more obvious on the second pic, a group shot of the rest of the squad which is now starting to catch up ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/notverygoodcloseup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/grouphug.jpg

firestorm40k
12-07-2006, 17:27
Col.Gravis, I am soooo impressed with these Storm Troopers! :cool: it's not just that they are superb conversions (which they are!), it's also the overall level of love you're giving to this project, to make a very special Guard army. It will be one of the very best out there when it's finished! Keep up your outstanding work :D

Getz
12-07-2006, 23:48
True by the Sharp stories it is, I'm not sure about carrying that into 40k though, it just feels a bit cliche

For Shame, Col.Gravis! You're playing an army of Redcoats in Space! Your whole army is Cliche - but in a good way... ;)

highmarshaldave
13-07-2006, 09:54
Not as bad as dwarves in space. . . or rambo. . .

Ahem, ye sir are an inspiration to all. Keep up the good work I say! *pokes Col. Gravis repeatedly until he gets back to work.*

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
13-07-2006, 12:56
hey hey enough with the poking already I'm going as fast as I can! ;)

TY for the kind words guys, I know there are plenty of people who turn out far better conversions and painting them myself, I do um have 'alota love' (lol) as firestorm kindly put it for my army though :D

lol Yeah the Praets are a little cliche, putting Sharp in space just does'nt feel right to me - anyway, aint that Gaunts Ghosts? lol

Well Im home at the moment, heading off for a couple of days shortly, but on getting home discovered the swords had arrived (yay) could'nt help but to get to work on it an Im happy to say the first one is now finished (luckily) no camera though so I wont bore you with more pics of almost the same thing! I'm aiming to finish converting the rest of squad (epualettes need finishing, backpack, gun, boots, helmet and gloves) and with some luck have finished painting the first one by the end of the weekend (though it'll probably take a few more days then that in reality), still I'll post new pics again once thats achieved ;)

Col.Gravis
12-08-2006, 21:52
And at last one squad is fully converted, second squad on the way, then down to painting.

Full Squad
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/DSCF0018.jpg

Close up of Sergeant & Plasma Gunner
- I'm not extactic about this sergeant, too vast an open space of armour which'll paint up poorly in my mind, I'm loath to add a sash however though as it is afterall only a Sergeant still, I'd sooner keep such things for officers really.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Life%20Guards%20WIP/DSCF0024.jpg

old guard
12-08-2006, 22:38
A thing of beauty, now get painting, these I have to see in their full glory.

Ornithoticus
12-08-2006, 22:46
I concur (sp?)! These will look amazing painted. They're some of the best IG conversions I've seen in a while, IMHO.

Keep it up!

Orni

Steel_Legion
13-08-2006, 00:11
wow, those are looking really good, excelent conversions, i agree, best i have seen in a very long time, cant wait to see some colour on them!

highmarshaldave
13-08-2006, 09:51
*pokes Col. Gravis*

Come on sah! Get a mooove on!

Honestly though, those are some schweet models there. Why not try a medal or two on the Sergeant's breastplate? That'd break up the space and make him come across as real bad-ass.

Dave out.

Col.Gravis
13-08-2006, 10:02
TY guys ;)

mmm medals, thats a bloody good idea actually, I'll try doing it on a test torso an see how it looks, it would certainly fill up more space then the current aquilla :)

ArtificerArmour
13-08-2006, 12:23
You could put two lines on grenades or pouches on the stomach if that worries you?

Gen_eV
13-08-2006, 13:17
Now these Storm Troopers are looking really good. Really, Really good. Can't wait to see 'em painted.

As for the Sergeant, if you haven't allocated it to someone else, give him the Honorifica and just have him as a 'fluff' officer, assigned to the Stormtrooper units. Then you can give him a nice sash, which I do think would look really nice.

Rabid Bunny 666
13-08-2006, 14:08
Those are nice dude, they look suitably cool unpainted, they'll rock when they're done.

Col.Gravis
14-08-2006, 10:06
I think I've changed my mind about the sash, I'll give it a go an see how it looks, these are supposed to be 'upper class' soldiery anyway so what the hey!

I'm just starting on a little bit of a distraction from the Grenadiers as part of a conversion contest on 40k online, I'm gonna be converting an Officer based on this picture drawn for me by Commissar Leonidas from that forum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/officersketch.jpg

Orginanally I'd intended to base the conversion on a plastic cadian (well the one on the tank accessory sprue anyway!), however after a little fiddling with that idea I scrapped it and instead choose the Praetorian Flamer model.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/DSCF0001.jpg

Did'nt wanna mess around so I promptly cut away the Flamer, Arms, legs and jaw. The models left leg was then reattached in a slightly different position and a new right leg was added taken from a Praetorian Sergeant minus the foot, this was all done rather roughly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/DSCF0008.jpg

I then did a little tidying to the legs, sculpted on the basic tunic and belt where before the flamer had been, added a pistol holster and began work on the arms, foot and jaw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/DSCF0019.jpg

Next up I'm gonna continue work on the arms as well as some more work on the tunic.

cookiescrumble
14-08-2006, 10:08
Looking good, nice GS on the officer.

Ornithoticus
14-08-2006, 11:45
ditto, very nice GS work

KillCavalry
15-08-2006, 15:57
You are my hero, Col. Gravis.

I think a few medals would do nicely. Something like the Color Sergeant in the movie "Zulu."

Col.Gravis
04-09-2006, 18:25
Allow me to introduce you to General William Roger Pendleton, as named by the original artist Commissar Leonidas from 40k Online.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/officersketch.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/General%20William%20Roger%20Pendleton/DSCF0030.jpg

The conversion started life as a Praetorian Flamer,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/DSCF0001.jpg

The models right leg was repositioned further back while the righr was replaced with one taken from a Praetorian Sergeant with a little sending, additional sculpting was then carried out to them including the bands on the outside leg. Removing the flamer and arms left quite a mess, hence the tunic, front an back was almost completely rebuilt, including buttons and aquilla on the left breast and belt clasp. A sash was added with an aquilla on the end as well as detailing which is poorly shown by the pictures. The left arm and epaulette was completely rebuilt including a hand, the right arm was rebuilt ending with Commissar Gaunts Power Sword though this was trimmed down as it was initially far too long. The chin was removed and a moutash and beard added with a slightly open mouth, finally the plume was added to the top of the helmet, the rear end is taken from a Chaos Space Marine plastic top-knot while the rest is sculpted in green stuff again.

More pictures ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/General%20William%20Roger%20Pendleton/DSCF0031.jpg

Front: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/General%20William%20Roger%20Pendleton/DSCF0037.jpg

Rear: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Lieutenant%20Colonel%20on%20Foot/General%20William%20Roger%20Pendleton/DSCF0034.jpg

MrAnderson
04-09-2006, 19:01
Holy fish!

Love the green stuff work. Congratulations on having the best Praetorian army I've ever seen.

schoolcormorant
04-09-2006, 20:00
you are incredibly talented with a sculpting tool, congratulations on having the only praetorian army i've ever seen! honestly i knew they existed buti've never seen many people play with them, it's a shame because they are great figures.

G.Hawke
04-09-2006, 22:31
damn this is some cool stuff dude, are these inscale with the current mini's though? or scale to the old ones?

Hawke

Rabid Bunny 666
04-09-2006, 22:44
Sweet Zombie Jesus thats nice!

baneful
04-09-2006, 22:57
Col.Gravis these guys are looking beautiful, loving the storm trooper/grenadier praetorians and the general.

keep em coming.

Getz
05-09-2006, 00:21
Indeed, on that note, any progress on the Life Guards? I'm very interested to see them painted.

Also, how are you going to do their Chimeras? I think Anvil's Hammer's Whippet-esque Chimera you've got a picture of would be perfect myself, but I'm wondering what you've got in mind...

ztwee
05-09-2006, 23:39
It's a great army !

May The Emperor bless the Praetorian Imperial Guard.

Col.Gravis
10-09-2006, 11:52
TY Guys, I must admit though Im not quite as happy with the officer as I'd like to be, the hand looks a bit fat to my eye though it will be painted as a glove so I might get away with it. The cloth of the right arm could do with some work, something I think I'll go back too, I'd like to add a scabbard for the sword as well. I might also have another go at the jaw, something not quite right about it either, ah well lol!

The Grenadiers are still sitting waiting to be painted, I need to get a Sentinel done first though (good trial for a colour scheme for my armoured elements) and three Ratlings for the GT (Sharp! Sharp! Its gota be the 95th Ratling Rifles lol), I'll probably have a crack at painting them after that alongside another Infantry Platoon which Im just detailing with chevrons at the moment.

Col.Gravis
30-10-2006, 11:05
Right time to awaken this once again, the Grenadiers are still waiting to be painted, have gone on hold as I was'nt at all happy with how the trousers on the first model went, need to do some more experiments on that front. For the moment I'm working through painting up a full Infantry Platoon in one go, applying the various basecoats at the moment and intend to have them all finished within the next two-three weeks (yeah Im slow still lol).

Tha main reason for the revive is tanks though, doghouse's thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54468) in MPT has awoken the tread head in me, and I've decided to take on a project very similar to his.

Taking doghouses as an example below.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/DSC01289_00.jpg

My intention is too do something broadly similar with the hull, the main changes will be a widened track section - possibly double width tracks possibly new tracks from an alternative source, I'll decide this once I've assembled my hull and can get a better look at the relative proportions, a Demolisher Turret as I favour Demolishers over regular Russ and that I think the squatter gun and enlarged turret will fit nicely, Heavy Bolters replaced with the Sentinel Assault Cannon as with my Infantry Crewed Weapons (Gatlings Guns), the sponsons themselves I'll rework with a single weapon, not quite sure on the design yet, and finally the forward hull, not quite sure I like the normal weapons mounting there, defaintely it'll be a Heavy Bolter again but likely in a different mounting, something else to be worked out. I'll try for some pics in the next couple of days.

Althanan
30-10-2006, 17:37
Just read through this... very nice work! You have considerable skill with GS, and I can't wait to see more of these guys painted up.

Given what you can do with infantry conversions, seeing you work on a tank should be fun :)

doghouse
30-10-2006, 18:56
Wow I'm seriously impressed mate. Excellent sculpting on both the colonel and the grenadiers. As for the tracks on the tank I'd recommend trying the Landraider tracks first as it just looks like it has two rows of tracks or even better get hold of the excellent first world war 1:35 MKIV tanks OR Whippet model tanks made by EMHAR. They have proper sponsons, weapons and more importantly WWI style tracks. :)

Mrlemonjelly
30-10-2006, 23:53
Hmm. I like your models and the converted heavy weapon squads are interesting. Really though, I don't think that tanks would fit in with your army :(

Col.Gravis
31-10-2006, 12:58
Althanan - Thankyou, though I must admit being a little nervous lol Tanks are a whole new kettle of fish to me conversion wise, I've never seriously converted one before lol.

doghouse - I've got some 1:35 Tiger 1 Tracks on the way I got very cheaply shall we say, I may not use them but it should give me a better idea about how to proceed, I thought about Landraider but unless I'm mistaken they're not on a seperate sprue, dont really fancy spending that much on tracks alone. Have considered previously basing conversions on another kit, but on account that Im a GT player I'd not then be able to use them, plus I would like them to closely resemble a Russ ultimately.

Mrlemonjelly - I take your point, but your gonna have to trust me on this one, I've a few other unmentioned ideas yet, the tanks will fit in once I'm done ;)

Althanan
31-10-2006, 17:35
Heh, can't wait to see some of these unmentioned ideas ;)

Ziljin
31-10-2006, 23:27
man those conversions are awesome. where are you getting the heads from

Col.Gravis
01-11-2006, 09:39
Which heads do you mean Ziljin? If you mean the Grenadiers they're taken from the Praetorian Gunner Torso's, otherwise the heads are as standard to the Praetorian models.

Getz
01-11-2006, 09:44
doghouse - I've got some 1:35 Tiger 1 Tracks on the way I got very cheaply shall we say, I may not use them but it should give me a better idea about how to proceed, I thought about Landraider but unless I'm mistaken they're not on a seperate sprue, dont really fancy spending that much on tracks alone. Have considered previously basing conversions on another kit, but on account that Im a GT player I'd not then be able to use them, plus I would like them to closely resemble a Russ ultimately.

You'll need to cut the guide teeth off the Tiger tracks, but other than that they should be fine. If I'm any judge they'll proabably prove to be about 50% wider than the stock tracks. My only concern is that you might find you don't have enough in one kit to do both track runs.

Col.Gravis
01-11-2006, 12:20
Yeah Im kinda thinking the same thing, I will be using track guards though much as in doghouses model so hopefully I'll have enough to do all the visable track area.

Ziljin
02-11-2006, 03:34
the converted pratoerians. they look like they using cadian plastic bits, then there is teh metal head, with gs. I thought praetorians were just single piece metal minis.

Col.Gravis
04-11-2006, 10:57
Ah yeah, yes they're based on plastic cadians with a fair bit of added GS as you spotted, the heads themselves are taken from the Praetorian Gunner Torso, much easier then sculpting my own and the cheapest GW way of doing that at any rate! With the exception of the gunner (supplied with Heavy Bolters & Autocannons) all other models are indeed one piece.

EDIT: Slowly getting through base coats, Red, and flesh & yellow with wash and metal with wash are done on all models, now doing brown on the gun casings and pouches ... soooo slow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/PB040001.jpg

Reflex
04-11-2006, 11:13
i love it, its a regessive imperial guard. do they stand in a line and shoot 3 shots a minuet with a brown bess lasgun???

Col.Gravis
04-11-2006, 11:16
i love it, its a regessive imperial guard. do they stand in a line

Hell yeah!

and shoot 3 shots a minuet

I wish :(

with a brown bess lasgun???

Gah wrong era ;) Brown Bess was the weapon of choice for line Infantry of the Napelonic era, these guys are based on line infantry of the Victorian era so it would be a Martini-Henry ;)

Reflex
04-11-2006, 23:34
thats not true, the martini-henry wasent adopted until the late 1800's, and most of the army still used the brown bess. after the martini henry they adpted the lee metford, then the lee enfield SMLE, THAT GUN ROCKS!!! i have one for my huntin gun, its super sweet.

have you thought of modufying them slightly so that the lasguns look more regessive (than they already are) to make them have a full wooden stock or something?

doghouse
04-11-2006, 23:59
I'd like to see these up against an army of Death Korps or making a last stand on an agri-world colony against a massive horde of Kroot Mercs.
Looking really nice so far, when you starting the tank?

Reflex
05-11-2006, 01:06
I'd like to see these up against an army of Death Korps or making a last stand on an agri-world colony against a massive horde of Kroot Mercs.
Looking really nice so far, when you starting the tank?

why specifically kroot?

thewizardofoz
05-11-2006, 02:37
great job Gravis!

please tell me: how long have you been in this hobby to get that good at modelling?

great painting too, looking forward to seeing your tanks

ss_cherubael
05-11-2006, 05:54
hey just had a look through this thread andn i have to say that everything looks ace. I especially love the stormtroopers!!! the body armour is awesome and works so well with the helms!!!!! i will be keeping an eye on this as i want to see the tanks and anything else you come up with really.

tancrede
05-11-2006, 08:54
man, your insane. i always wanted to do a praetorian army, but they were caught off the stores before i can buy them.

i especially like your stormtroopers.

very good job and keep continuing !

Ziljin
05-11-2006, 16:13
the stormtrooper backpacks are made of chopped up vox caster bits right?

Festus
05-11-2006, 17:44
Hi

thats not true, the martini-henry wasent adopted until the late 1800's, and most of the army still used the brown bess. after the martini henry they adpted the lee metford, then the lee enfield SMLE, THAT GUN ROCKS!!! i have one for my huntin gun, its super sweet.
Nope, sorry, you are wrong: The Martini-Henry was used during the Zulu Wars (the Age the Praetorians are derived of - 1879): It entered service in 1871, and continued to do so for two decades (until 1888).

The Lee-Metford took over, to be replaced by the LE in 1895. The SMLE is a development of the 20th century, going into production in 1904.

Greetings
Festus

Col.Gravis
05-11-2006, 19:03
@Reflex, nope, as Festus points out the Praetorians are based on the the 24th Foot during the first invasion of Zululand (though the uniform would be correct for much of that period), and at that time it was the Martini-Henry which was issued to line troops, the Brown Bess (a Musket, so no rifleing making for a much more unaccurate weapon) was phased out in the British Army around 1838, though they did see action in events such as the Indian Rebellion and Mexican-American war with other forces.

@doghouse, me Im still waiting for the Ork codex to come out, hopefully we'll see some more of the Praetorians classic opponent then! As too the tank, progress is slow, and Im not too happy with the tracks I acquired, its probably gonna be towards the end of the month before Ive something significant to show for my version ;)

@thewizardofoz, um Ive been in the hobby for something like 9 years, still room for alot of improvements on my part though! But thankyou ;)

@tancrede, yep Im guilty as charged ;) if you ever happen to go to the UK GT I can be found wearing a Pith Helmet ;)

@Ziljin, yeah thats right, snipped up and then connected to the lasgun with guitar wire.

Reflex
07-11-2006, 02:54
but you have said what i have said, they didnt start using the martini henry until the late 1800's, the bess was before that. :wtf:

Ancient_Galatan
07-11-2006, 08:25
Mmm. Col. Gravis... your delicious thread has convinced my to put down my warhound titan and dust off all the mordian iron guard models i accuired to do my dream army.... mmmmm. it will take forever to strip and repaint them, but you cant argue with over 150 infantrymen toting 18 lascannons.

Col. gravis you're my hero:angel:

Col.Gravis
07-11-2006, 10:16
Yes Reflex, but...

i love it, its a regessive imperial guard. do they stand in a line and shoot 3 shots a minuet with a brown bess lasgun???

Gah wrong era Brown Bess was the weapon of choice for line Infantry of the Napelonic era, these guys are based on line infantry of the Victorian era so it would be a Martini-Henry

The thing is the Praetorians are not based on Napleonic troops, they're based on troops of the Zulu Wars which took place in the late 1870's well after the Brown Bess went out of service. They had Martini-Henry's not Brown Bess's as you've implied.

@Ancient_Galatan, go for it :D Who needs camoflage when you've got discipline, spit & polish and a descent firing line ;)

Reflex
07-11-2006, 11:35
i think i travelled away from teh praetorian part of the argument and went to far into history.

Col.Gravis
07-01-2007, 13:29
Tally ho! Time I was comming out of my winter hibernation, very little new done at this point, the Platoon on the previous page is still pretty much identical and no I've not painted the Grenadiers, I have improved on my completed officers with new scabbards and done a little more painting to the Platoon which is the main project at the moment, however as a sideline I'm starting work on a Praetorian kill team, following a thread on 40k Online last year the Green Witch (who did the earlier picture from which the 'General' conversion was based) of that forum did me a few further sketches and I'm now starting to convert a model based on the first of these, the first of these is 'the Duelist' which will be based on the Missile Launcher model.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/duelist.jpg

Slaaneshi Slave
07-01-2007, 14:52
Praetorians are something which has always held a place close to my GW heart. :p I really like this log, keep up the good work!

irfpio
07-01-2007, 16:29
If i wasn't making Vostroyans, the pretorians would be my choise, and with this thread as an inspiration, great green stuff work and great conversions!!!!

Cheers
Irfpio

_Si_
07-01-2007, 18:24
These look fantastic! Somewhere on my ever growing to do list is a praetorian platoon for my IG.

Your greenstuff work is great, much better than my attempt (http://gtazz.com/kataan/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31).
I reckon you could easily sculpt then cast a pith helmet to give you more flexibility on the heads. My plan is to go that way, then combine them with the great human heads from hasslefree.

Keep up the great work.

Col.Gravis
09-01-2007, 17:19
TY for the kind words guys!

Right early WIP shots of the duelist, first the base model as I mentioned earlier this is the Missile Launcher Loader, the pose just seemed spot on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/BaseDueistlFront.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/BaseDuelistRear.jpg

The first steps were to remove all the bits I did'nt want, so both arms including the models left shoulder, the chest strap, pouches and missile bag on the rear of the model. I then needed to rebuild the lower part of the tunic and start too add correctly posed arms.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/Duelist1Front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/Duelist1Rear.jpg

The next stage will be to finish building the arms, complete rebuilding of the belt and the models upper right corner of the tunic on the front of the model, I'll then start looking at the pistols, probably Ill do the simple way and grab one from the WFB Empire sprue and jazz it up a bit with the muzzle of a laspistol.

old guard
09-01-2007, 18:11
You sir are a true artist. My only criticism is that you do not work fast enough (I'm a fine one to talk) and that we see your efforts nowhere near often enough!

Getz
09-01-2007, 18:55
I'm definately liking that Duellist Lieutenant. I'm seriously tempted to hop on to the GT circuit just so I can eyeball your army in the flesh, Col.Gravis...

Col.Gravis
11-01-2007, 11:15
you do not work fast enough

lol Aint that the truth! I get easily distracted when theres something good on TV unfortunately lol, at least I can blame it on Sharp last night though!

Well you never know Getz, I might even have enough of this army to field by the start of the next GT season lol, otherwise I'll be stuck with my old army still!

Anyway, a couple more shots of last nights work, the models right arm is done bar the hand, I also did a little work on repairing the epualette, top corner of the tunic and aquilla, oh and finished the belt and added the pouch.

Left arm next!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/Duelist2Front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/Duelist2Rear.jpg

static grass
11-01-2007, 13:07
Great sculpting work. I really am impressed.

Just a quick comment on anatomy, the right arm is (abit) too long. It is not really a big deal as it is tucked away at the back. But just so you know you hand should reach down to the groin and not any further ;) Just a tip before you sculpt the other arm.

This tip in no way should suggest that I could do any better!

Col.Gravis
11-01-2007, 13:21
Yep it is ;) I did trim it back a little but I mostly posted this update too see if anyone would notice it or if it would not be noticeable lol, I'll go back an snip it an start the arm again since it seems it is lol Im not too fussed about it either as I realised when I posted the picture the seem on that arms sleeve is also in the wrong place, should be facing down further.

TY ;)

Ornithoticus
11-01-2007, 14:50
very nice work Col. Gravis, loving how the armys coming togethor

you hand should reach down to the groin and not any further

not sure about this, mine reaches halfway down my thigh, and i dont think im exactly a freek

Col.Gravis
11-01-2007, 14:55
Yeah mine does as well if the hand is flat, however the pose of my model is'nt going to be like that obviously and its already very very close to being half way down, theres not too much in it but enough to be noticeable to me, an well obviously to others as well. iIt's only a matter of milimeters even to get it right what you've got to keep in mind is your seeing a 2D picture where it looks okay, but if you factor in the fact that the arm is actually at an angle and held strait against the sides of the body would be far longer then it appears here.

static grass
12-01-2007, 13:28
not sure about this, mine reaches halfway down my thigh, and i dont think im exactly a freek

Well I didn't say the tips of your fingers did I? :p

Would make going the loo a bit... you know tricky :p

It's a great sculpt all the same, I am feeling inspired to have a go giving my steel legion some meltas.

The technique doesn't look too tricky just that it takes some days building it up in stages.

Col.Gravis
21-01-2007, 23:27
Well I've done some more work to the Duelist, basicly hes now back to the stage you see in the previous picture but redone slightly shorter, the other arm is also almost finished now and facial hair is done, I've also cut down a Yarrick sword to give the character though it is looking like I'll be building my own pistols, the ones from the Fantasy sprue are just too big.

In the meantime I'm beginning too think about the next figure which I'm planning on being 'The Hunter' again as drawn by the Green Witch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Hunter/hunter.jpg

I'm still pondering which Praetorian figure to use as a base model though that does'nt concern me too much, the gun is a bit more worrying to me at the moment (again). Mostly this time because I'm thinking in game terms - I dont want it to be a Lasgun, rather some form of 'Hunting Cannon' or Elephant Rifle, but what stats to use given in mind its a kill team and how best to model it is the question, any thoughts anyone?

highmarshaldave
22-01-2007, 00:11
Veteran with bolter or storm bolter? Just a thunk. . .

Dave out.

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2007, 00:19
Stats for the Hunting Rifle - Grenade Launcher. Just use the Krak Grenade at all times and you should be O.K.! :D

EDIT: Or, as it's for a Kill-Team, break a Mutable Rule and say he's a sniper with a sniper rifle. 2+ hit, 4+ wound regardless of T... always good. Main issue there is that that'd be your Kill Team's only heavy weapon gone so you'd have to load up with a couple of plasma guns or something that's S7 or less to make sure of doing over any nasties you may encounter.

glenning
23-01-2007, 17:39
Have you finished your duelist yet? Otherwise, this arm would work great for him(from Perry Miniatures):

http://perry-miniatures.com/images/br7.jpg

Rabid Bunny 666
23-01-2007, 17:46
Withg a pose like that, i'd look at the Mortar reloader.

Also, your stuff so far is incredible!

Col.Gravis
23-01-2007, 20:17
He's getting closer, added the foundation of the hand and a skeleton for the pistol (god bless the humble paperclip), I'll detail the hand and hopefully that pistol tommorrow, then its the 'scarf' around the helmet, the pistol in his belt and a few other bits of tidying (trousers, lower tunic etc).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/DuelistFront4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/DuelistRear4.jpg

For the Hunter, yeah I guess I could go with the Sniper Rifle and break a mutuable, I'm not sure about a Grenade Launcher given its an Assault Weapon - and that would get tempting to move an fire which really would'nt fit. That said an Autocannon has been suggested elsewhere, I might take up on that option, fits with mutubles, is heavy appropriate to the weapon and has a longer range over the las. What do you think?

Ah the Mortar reloader might jsut fit for the hunter, slight adjustment to the legs and an arm job should do the job.

Voronwe[MQ]
23-01-2007, 20:24
Great progress on the duellist; the green stuff work is good. And Gen.Steiner summed the 'Elephant gun' rules up. :)

As for 'the Hunter', you'd first need a lean face to put a praetorian helmet on.

Voronwe

Col.Gravis
23-01-2007, 21:04
;1239616']As for 'the Hunter', you'd first need a lean face to put a praetorian helmet on.

Good point, had'nt occured to me the normal heads might not work, may have a solution though, I think I've got a Gaunt model around here somewhere I picked up for a few components which has'nt donated his head yet, I think that might work, Ill dig it out.

Gen.Steiner
23-01-2007, 21:19
Autocannon would also work, although you'd have to come up with some reason as to how he can fire twice ;)

cthorpe
23-01-2007, 21:33
Hi there,

Just a thought.. some Elephant guns were double barrelled (a safety feature in case one either miss fired, or you just plain missed!!)= 2 shots..

Great project log this,

Carl

Just a thought..

m3ntor
24-01-2007, 02:11
Love the army. Absolutely brilliant.

For the Hunter, if Gaunt doesn't work, there's always that Commissar with the bolter, which just may look better.

Col.Gravis
24-01-2007, 09:33
Autocannon would also work, although you'd have to come up with some reason as to how he can fire twice ;)

Hi there,

Just a thought.. some Elephant guns were double barrelled (a safety feature in case one either miss fired, or you just plain missed!!)= 2 shots..

I'll probably take it from the point of view he's likely to be a Crack Shot as an experienced big game hunter, given each shot has a 50% chance of hitting theoreticly youd maybe expect to get one hit a turn which works out well, occasionally though he'll miss entirely (2 misses) but then again occasionly he'll hit it just right in the most vulnable spot - causing extra damage (2hits).

Hows that sound as justfication?

For the Hunter, if Gaunt doesn't work, there's always that Commissar with the bolter, which just may look better.

Good idea, that model has some form of goggles or glasses on already as well does'nt it? I'll have a look though if I went with it I'll need to pick one up.

Getz
24-01-2007, 11:01
How about treating the Elephant gun as a plasma gun. The Rapid Fire profile is appropriate for a rifle and the extra zip is nicely represented by the stats... Plus it doesn't break any mutable rules.

AventineCrusader
24-01-2007, 11:09
Good idea, that model has some form of goggles or glasses on already as well does'nt it? I'll have a look though if I went with it I'll need to pick one up.

Yeah, I think that head would be absolutely perfect to match to the artwork. Time for mr.Commisar to give some cranial donations...

Crusader

Col.Gravis
24-01-2007, 11:11
How about treating the Elephant gun as a plasma gun. The Rapid Fire profile is appropriate for a rifle and the extra zip is nicely represented by the stats... Plus it doesn't break any mutable rules.

Yeah a few people have suggested it, the only thing with a Plasma Gun is overheat and I'm not really too keen on that factor when it comes too explaining what that represents with what should be a stable, solid shot Elephant Gun.

bram kuijpers
24-01-2007, 11:11

but why would a elephant gun overheat and kil the gunner:confused:

Rabid Bunny 666
24-01-2007, 11:43
Meltagun maybe?

Voronwe[MQ]
24-01-2007, 12:31
but why would a elephant gun overheat and kil the gunner:confused:
Because this gun is an old model with a nasty habit to misfire, which haven't got better over time.

Voronwe

Gen.Steiner
24-01-2007, 13:06
Round misfires and explodes in the breech, is another possibility...!

Col.Gravis
30-06-2007, 15:52
After a long silence just a slight update, more of the same really, I'm just starting work a Mortar (Rocket) Battery and my Roughrider masters however, semi-regular updates go up in the project blog linked in my sig.

2nd Infantry Platoon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0202.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0211.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0193.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0196.jpg

Col.Gravis
30-06-2007, 15:52
2nd Gatling Gun Battery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0425.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0308.jpg

2nd Lascannon Battery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0420.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blog%20Pictures/DSCF0611.jpg

cthorpe
30-06-2007, 16:35
These are looking really fantastic.. glad to see that you are still progressing with, and increasing the army..

An inspiration,

Best wishes,

Carl

Col.Gravis
30-06-2007, 19:29
TY cthorpe :)

Rogue Trader
30-06-2007, 19:36
are those gun shields from space marine bikes? looking cool anyway, havnt seen these pretorians in a long time :D

Col.Gravis
30-06-2007, 19:37
Nah, its a section of track guard from the IG Vehicle accessory sprue.

Mr Zephy
30-06-2007, 19:39
Wow. I would say that they are made of win and awesome, but they are worthy of more than netspeak. The Gatling guns are inspired.

They are awe-inspiringly good. They march in perfect time when they march. Their boots are always shining. And the regimental banner never droops.

Also, can I have the gif you use for your avatar? It is also very nice.

thewizardofoz
30-06-2007, 19:43
glad to see more of your stuff, col. gravis. i really like them. i didn't like the praetorians that much before, but you make them look great.

keep up the good work.

that duelist is finished now, right? i thought i saw a finished pic of it somewhere.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
30-06-2007, 19:43
Very nice. Especially the heavy weapons are impressive. Never liked the Pretoria look but yours - might have changed my opinion ;)

Col.Gravis
30-06-2007, 19:52
TY guys :)

By all means Mr Zephy, it was created by Darkseer a while back in this thread, I'm sure he'd not object

@ thewizardofoz, yeah the Duelist is finished, I did post it in the main Modelling and Painting section but since it was posted unfinished here might as well pop the finished picture here as well I guess!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Praetorian%20Kill%20Team/The%20Duelist/duelistfinished.jpg

wikear
30-06-2007, 19:59
jeez... nice work on those models... very nice painting and pretty nice theme

keep up the good work

jasevx
30-06-2007, 20:00
one I've been waiting on, just simply amazing work

Bungaroo
30-06-2007, 22:35
Excellent work. Are you using Games Workshop paints ?

Light of the Emperor
30-06-2007, 22:53
I worship your praetorians Col. Gravis. It's great to see new additions, especially the duelist which I've been following from the get-go.

old guard
01-07-2007, 00:05
Talk about back with a vengeance! Those are superb especially the officer. can't praise them enough.

DigitsDavid
01-07-2007, 00:39
I'd missed this thread!! Fantastic! Never really liked the figures until I saw these. The little conversions really work and I love the heavy weapons.

Just rated this a five! Will keep a closer eye out in future.

firestorm40k
01-07-2007, 05:14
Glad to see you're still carrying on with this project, Col.Gravis, your Praetorians really are superb! :) :cool:

scrubout
01-07-2007, 05:45
Good to see the Col. back with a fresh round of troops! Those gats are sweet. I never saw the finished duelist either, only wip (for a long time), but he's turned out great. Now when are you gonna start on the rest there Col.? ;)

-scrubout

calcipher
01-07-2007, 09:12
Blood amazing! wow
and if it means anything to you my wife says they are very "pretty"....sorry lol

Rictus
01-07-2007, 19:21
I have to second everyone else's comments. Been waiting for this Log to return and what a return! Heavy weapons are superb and the duelist turned out great.

cpl_hicks
02-07-2007, 01:37
SWEET

*Does the happy Dance*

I know about ago you where on about doing a rocket launcher equivilant, now you have probely seen it but what about the Empire Rocket Battery (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120202014&orignav=13)

Getz
02-07-2007, 02:15
Looking Ace as always - can't wait to see the Rocket Launchers...

Col.Gravis
02-07-2007, 09:43
Yikes thanks guys! I did'nt realise so many people had been following the log lol!

@ Bungaroo, yes I use GW paints, never really tried anything else to be honest.

@ cpl_hicks, hmmm you know actually I had'nt considered that, its not really what I'd intended as a look, more along the Hales Rocket though in reality thats quite a boring really, just a trough with legs(!), I'm a little worried though because I'm working against the clock now, I think I'll probably leave it for now as Hales, and can always come back to this idea at a later date, definately got me thinking though damn it lol

cpl_hicks
02-07-2007, 23:17
@ cpl_hicks, hmmm you know actually I had'nt considered that, its not really what I'd intended as a look, more along the Hales Rocket though in reality thats quite a boring really, just a trough with legs(!), I'm a little worried though because I'm working against the clock now, I think I'll probably leave it for now as Hales, and can always come back to this idea at a later date, definately got me thinking though damn it lol

well i wouldnt say go for an exact copy, the Empire rocket battery in my opinion is to top heavy, surely that thing would fall over. But you could convert the kit with your super Praetorian converting skills to be a lot better :D

Col.Gravis
03-07-2007, 08:45
Oh I'd definately not use it as is, the griffons on the front of the rocket racks dont seem to fit, and the carriage is too wooden, not enough iron/steel/whatever (!), but a reworking of the carriage and racks could work nicely with some new wheels.

Possibly I could use such a beast as an actual Missile Launcher or maybe even a Heavy Mortar? Though I must confess I rather like Forgeworlds so it might be the Missile Launcher which so far I've got no other ideas how to do.

imperial.cog.dean
06-07-2007, 09:28
mate,they look stunning :p

and your green stuff work is more stunning :p

id

Gen.Steiner
09-07-2007, 19:33
Col. Gravis, this log continues to inspire and awe in equal measure! The latest stuff is particularly good, and the duellist is brilliant. Given these are 'just' wargaming-standard toy soldiers the quality is excellent. Well done sir, and keep it up!

Col.Gravis
10-07-2007, 17:45
TY

Just finished the Mortar Crewmen, I'm just getting the Roughriders Horses ready for undercoating and have just dry-assembled the first Mortar conversion, it's following the Victorian Praetorian theme in being based on the Hales Rocket Trough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/DSCF0643.jpg

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/rocketrocket/rac.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/DSCF0651.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/DSCF0650.jpg

thewizardofoz
10-07-2007, 19:29
thats really cool. i would never think to use anything other than a mortar as a mortar. quite original and creative. i'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Light of the Emperor
10-07-2007, 20:07
I *really* like that rocket launcher.

Glad to see things are progressing. It was this very thread that inspired me to start my IG force...so thanks!

Sam van Dane
11-07-2007, 01:20
Hey its me ;). Very nice as always, great idea for the mortar. I like the "british" style of your army... Keep it up Grenadier.

SvD

Spacker
13-07-2007, 13:40
Fantastic conversions, almost makes me want to do my own (but I know I couldn't get anywhere close to your conversions, and my DKOK are glaring at me from the shelf).

Col.Gravis, could I be cheeky and ask if you'd consider posting a pic of one of those lascannon conversions with the artillery wheels next to an infantry model so I can see how large they are? I'm looking to possibly use them on some conversions for my DK army, and you're the only person I've seen who has used them. I'm trying to work out if they'd be large enough for an Earthshaker carriage - if not, I'll simply convert up some of my spare Cadian heavy weapons (bolters and lascannons). Also, what did you use for the cannon base/hitch for the lascannon conversion?

Darloc
13-07-2007, 16:19
Can't wait to see a full army shoot, nice work!

Col.Gravis
14-07-2007, 20:45
The Rocket Troughs are done, but are surprisingly difficult to photograph, theres nothing much to focus on with an auto focus camera :P, the single shot shows one a little better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/DSCF0652.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorians%20Finished/DSCF0672.jpg

@Spacker, no problem, hope this helps! The carriage is the WFB Galloper Gun Carriage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%20Imperial%20Guard/DSCF0676.jpg

Spacker
15-07-2007, 08:37
@Spacker, no problem, hope this helps! The carriage is the WFB Galloper Gun Carriage.

Thanks, that's a perfect shot for me. I can see that the wheels are a bit larger than I wanted for the heavy weapons, but should suit a Medusa carriage conversion OK. I was afraid that you'd used the Galloper parts too - they looked to be the best suited, but only available in the complete set from GW :(

Col.Gravis
15-07-2007, 10:31
Aye, bits are a hell of alot more difficult to get hold of now, the Sentinel Assault Canons I use are'nt even available from GW UK now, I had to order from the GW US instead :P

schoolcormorant
15-07-2007, 13:04
hey Col.Gravis, i was watching Sharpe this morning (yeah, that awesome show full of historically accurate content;)) and was thinking, you should model you're commisar as a Provost, one of the horsemen charged with hunting down deserters and stuff :D

lovely work as ever too

SC

Col.Gravis
20-07-2007, 13:22
Thats quite an interesting idea actually, had'nt thought of that, will have to think how to best achieve it!

static grass
20-07-2007, 15:32
Wow wow wow. I love the finished duellist.

I am very much looking forward to the Rough Riders too.

Col.Gravis
27-07-2007, 17:06
The Roughrider sculpt is slowly taking shape, leg and torso is almost done leaving arms an heads - first 6 of 10 horses are done though ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0685.jpg

jdp
27-07-2007, 19:37
Looking good CG! I think I like the slightly beefier look of the new outrider horses for the rough riders, I'll be stealing some of those for my RRs when the time comes.

Also I wanted you to know that you have inspired yet another member here to dust his old Praetorians off and get back into it. Mine have languished since I bought them when they were first released and they have moved to the front of the painting queue thanks to this thread.

Thanks!

Col.Gravis
29-07-2007, 11:12
Thats the spirit, get those boys to front ;)

Meanwhile just a quick work in progress shot of the Roughrider master, still needs a little tidying but getting there, arms next.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0689.jpg

Col.Gravis
31-07-2007, 18:45
Right, I've started work on the first Russ, I'm going with two types of Tanks in my force, big heavy slow stuff, the heavy tanks ala those of WW1 (I'm looking at the Malcador to fill this roll), and secondly the Armoured Cavalry, faster light tanks (for my purposes Leman Ryss).

I've always loved the mental image of the Narminian Armour engaging en mass in the Gaunts Ghosts novel 'Necropolis' and the Pardus in 'Honour Guard', thats the feel I want from my armour, mobile units, not sit back an shoot types.

I've gone with a Conqueror Turret from FW though I'll use it as a standard Leman Russ rules wise with some extra touches, mostly little things like switching Heavy Bolters for Gatling Guns as with my Infantry.

I've done basic assembly so far adding the hull mount in a dry fit, I also replaced the standard drivers position with one taken from a SM Dreadnought, just because I liked it, with a little modification (replaced the crappy skull face with an eagle head using Greenstuff).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0699.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0703.jpg

Light of the Emperor
31-07-2007, 19:25
Such wonderful Greenstuff skills. I am so looking forward to the rough riders. *Sigh*, one day I'll have my Vostroyan ones...
Keep up the good work!

Col.Gravis
02-08-2007, 20:53
TY Light, an it bugs me I dont I responded to your earlier comment, so another thankyou, seems we've fed off each other a bit then as it's reading your log that got me posting in mine again lol ;)

Looking for a little bit of input if anyones got any thoughts?

As mentioned this will be a regular Leman Russ rather then a Conqueror, so the co-axial Storm Bolter has got to go (not to mention Heavy Stubbers are better IMHO), the question is how best to model the Hv.Stubber, with the actual Heavy Stubber (perhaps cut down a bit) or something more in line with the Heavy Bolter Gatling Guns? What do people think looks best or does anyone have another suggestion? Can always do a standard Pintle Mount instead afterall.

Heavy Stubber
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0705.jpg

Gatling Stubber
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0706.jpg

Light of the Emperor
02-08-2007, 21:29
Cheers Col. Gravis!

I would go with the real heavy stubber. The gatling style stubber conflicts with the heavy bolter one IMO.
Perhaps you can make the stubber muzzle a bit wider...to represent that of a blunderbus? It looks archaic and shows a difference between te stubber and the heavy bolter. I don't, however, know if a blunderbus style fits in with your time frame.

Getz
03-08-2007, 01:18
Of the two, I prefer the Gatling Stubber, but if you've got a Conqueror turret to play with I'm inclined to think there are rather more fun things you can do by chopping up the weapon...

This, for example... (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Getz/Orks/DSCN0475.jpg)

Food for thought perhaps?

wikear
03-08-2007, 06:15
wow... the horses are amazing

rocket throughs... nice job

You are very productive my friend :D

tancrede
03-08-2007, 06:23
your work is amazing, as always.
i always been keeping an eye on your thread, because i like it for the fantastic work you've done on your army : skills, technics an tons of good ideas !!

and, of course, i want to see more of your stuff !!

Col.Gravis
03-08-2007, 12:51
Thanks guys :)

Yeah thats an interesting idea Getz, not putting a co-axial weapon and fitting something had occured to me but I was'nt realyl sure, though looking at it thats very Demolisher Canon like, not sure.

Getz
03-08-2007, 13:57

Yeah thats an interesting idea Getz, not putting a co-axial weapon and fitting something had occured to me but I was'nt realyl sure, though looking at it thats very Demolisher Canon like, not sure.

My one is meant to be a Demolisher cannon - but if I were trying to do a Battle cannon I'd probably go for smaller recuperators and fit a muzzle brake.

doghouse
03-08-2007, 18:49
The army is looking fantastic as ever! This has got to be one of my all time favourite army projects, it's just brilliant!
The Duelist looks fantastic and I look forward to seeing the Hunter as well.
I take my hat off to you sir for having the patience and skill to convert so many metal minis. :)

Luthien
03-08-2007, 18:58
I say sah, this army is postively spiffing, what! Tally ho old chap and get painting, or there'll be no tea and tiffin!

Col.Gravis
03-08-2007, 19:57

Couple bits more, started work on the tank commander, some work to do on him, only the basic model with alot of bits removed so far (his back is a mass of metal lol) and my first Green Stuff casting results allowing me sufficient vision slits and lights.

Hmm not sure Getz, it's tempting in a way, but I'm kinda liking the look of the basic Conqueror Canon at the moment, will keep it in mind though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0711.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0710.jpg

jdp
05-08-2007, 04:02
I like the tank so far, the TC looks good low in the cupola. Normally I like the look of a man high on the turret but this is probably how I'd be leading my tank when the bolter shells are flying.

I was wondering what others would do for there Praetorian TCs, the sun helmet looked like it would be to tall in the turret to me, so I am using the garrison cap heads from the Basilisk crew instead on a Praetorian body.
Of course your way seemlessly blends your force a little more.

The real question is what color will the tank be? Some sort of land battleship grey?

Col.Gravis
05-08-2007, 09:15
Agreed that in practical terms the Foreign Service Helmet would be completely unsuited to Tank Crew, I'm just using it for consistantcy, I think they would wear Kepi's which I may do if I do any tank crew proper, just leaving the full gear for the officer in charge.

I'm really undecided about the tank paint scheme so far, battleship grey is definately up there, but a sandy or dark green scheme are also options, I'm avoiding camo (for obvious reasons) and my old crimson and cream schemes. Any thoughts?

schoolcormorant
05-08-2007, 09:19
bit of a pickle i suppose, no tanks in the inspiration to work from...

well, grey yes, good idea, or a dark green, try and match it to the basing scheme or something. with weathering and stuff the colour wouldn't matter too much?

perhaps grey, then you can have vibrant insignia.
you might try adeptus battlegrey over black, adding astronomican grey for highlights, paint the stowage and bedrolls tan and khaki?

SC

Slipstream
09-08-2007, 23:42
And now, I de-lurk in this thread! :D

I'm really undecided about the tank paint scheme so far, battleship grey is definately up there, but a sandy or dark green scheme are also options, I'm avoiding camo (for obvious reasons) and my old crimson and cream schemes. Any thoughts?

Well, historically, you're looking at the pre-dreadnought era, for Navy references, which would put you solidly in the 'grey' category. Interestingly, there were many navy vessels being made from wrought iron plates, which would go well with the general plate-and-rivet design of the Imperial Guard tanks (as opposed to the welded construction of a 'Dreadnought'.)

I think a Naval-based angle would work well, might be amusing to see a bunch of Land Battleships flying the Royal Navy Battle Pennants, maybe a semaphore rig for communications pennants.

My two pence,

--Brian

m3ntor
10-08-2007, 09:36
Those Rough Rider(s) are shaping up well, and that is the absolutely perfect commander for that tank.

For your tanks, have you considered some combination of black (or dark blue), dark red, white and brass? Not unlike some of the early cruise liners. See here. (http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/stroheim/163/titanic3d3.jpg) With a bit of imagination it could work well.

dave is the best
10-08-2007, 09:48
Wow, those rough riders are shaping up real good. For the tank I agree with SC on a grey tank.

Dave

Col.Gravis
11-08-2007, 12:45
Thanks guys ;)

Yeah I'm leaning towards grey, something like this perhaps? I'm a little wary of any bright colours this time (i.e. white) I've done that before on my old army and would like to step away from it I think.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Parak_32nd/4oth%20corps/IMG_1514_edited.jpg

I've finally finished the other four Horses, just need riders for them now, I may do another five, pondering adding some Dragoons to my GT list as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0716.jpg

Col.Gravis
11-08-2007, 12:46
(Double post due to image limit)

Also slight update on the tank, done a bit more to the commander, just need to add some braiding now I think, he's messy around the bottom, but none of this will show so I'm not going to spend additional time on him, a bit more done to the tank itself also, next I've gota pick up some plati-rod and add some rivets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0723.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0725.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0720.jpg

Light of the Emperor
11-08-2007, 15:25
It never hurts to have good gs skills. Very well done. That tank will look awesome when finished.

Thanks for your help on my Vossies. Once I get my hands on a dremel I'll start working on some of those ideas.
I might have to take you up on the feathers because our bitz store just got sold so it'll be a while before they are up and running again. If there's any particular bitz your looking for in return, let me know.

thewizardofoz
12-08-2007, 02:40
that tank is great, man. its wonderfully converted.

light of- BW bits will be back up on september 1, run by neil at the warstore. i see this as a plus, as neil has a much better rep for reliability than BW had.

jdp
12-08-2007, 04:33
I think the grey with recognition striping should look perfect. Maybe echo the red and blue from the uniforms in the striping as well.

With regard to the conversion work, well gold star again. The goggles and back on the TC look good and the backdating of the Russ is coming along nicely. Full steam ahead!

Pekel
12-08-2007, 05:38
One of the (if not THE) best themed logs I have ever seen! Many kudos to you for choosing such an obscure theme and for staying so devoted to it. I wish I could help more than to say that I think the "gray with stripes" scheme would be perfect for this army's tanks. But I really have no criticism - look forward to seeing more!

Col.Gravis
13-08-2007, 20:20
Thanks ;) Well I'm gonna have a go at the tank scheme soon, I've undercoated a test piece from an old russ, and have started undercoating the new russ itself having added the finishing touches (lights and filling a few gaps).

I've also started painting the Tank Commander, this shot finally showing just how rough he is below the belt line, though as I say none of it shows when he's in the tank so I'm not gonna worry about tidying it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0730.jpg

The casting kit I ordered has arrived a couple of weeks earlier then expected, so I'm not ready to begin with that yet, working on the arms still at the moment, with some spare green stuff I mixed up I've started work on a fun conversion in the form of a Priest with Eviscreator though, the huge chainsaw is taken from the Catachan Sentinel, a Sentinel pilots torso and catachan legs, though thats really just a base, I'm gonna put a cloack over him. Very rough so far, but you get the idea ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/DSCF0731.jpg

Col.Gravis
15-08-2007, 12:00
Well the tank commanders done, just the small matter of a tank for him to ride in now! :-\

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0772.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0774.jpg

Crazy Ivan
15-08-2007, 13:10
Col. Gravis, your army looks great! I like the tank commander, looking forward to his ride!

G.Hawke
15-08-2007, 13:56
indeed, its one of the few times i've ever seen praetorians look cool, let alone make me want some...

Hawke

muggs
15-08-2007, 14:40
Just read the whole post, absolutely top notch! I think I might have to go and watch Zulu now!

Be quite now Mr Whitt, you're upsettin' the lads!

MvS
15-08-2007, 15:06
This is what it's all about!

Really good. Well done that man!

Hip-hip-hip! Huzzah!

MvS
15-08-2007, 15:10
By the way, I think some of the Commissar bodies (new and old) would suit for Praetorian officers. They have epilets and fancy jackets of a similar style, although they would need a head swap. Just a thought (and an excuse to hop my post-count up to 700! ;)).

ginger space marine
15-08-2007, 17:39
Love the goggles on the tank commander, very cool. in fact this whole log oozes quality :)

flakjacket
15-08-2007, 17:42
That green stuffing is high class indeed, loving this log Col Gravis, smashing stuff ;)

Col.Gravis
16-08-2007, 14:16
Thanks guys ;)

@MvS I quite agree, I've used the one with Powersword and Powerfist in the past (I think theres a picture of my old horse mounted version at the beginning of the thread somewhere), I certainly intend on revisting the potential there later on.

Right, with more work done (and the fact I'm taking a lunch break from a day working on them!), here's a little more on how my Roughriders are going.

From the start of my army project I've wanted to sculpt and then cast my own Roughriders, the reason for this was mainly two fold, firstly I wanted consistantcy through all my Roughriders, and secondly I wanted lots of them with an eye on about 60 models total of different types. These include Lancers (Hunting Lances), Hussars (Chainswords & Laspistols) and Dragoons (Lascarbines/Shotguns/Special Weapons), I've also since decided to give the Hussars Meltabombs.

Initially I intended to use the normal Medieval Plastic Horses that GW have been producing for years but ended up changing my mind with the release of the new WFB Empire Pistoller/Outrider box set, good value and lots of spare bits some of which have gone into use elsewhere already.

After a false start due to the differing size of the two possible horses from the box set I sculpted the legs first, as a short cut this was based around the Praetorian Gunner legs, the boots were taken from here as a time saving measure, while the gunners seated bum forms the core of the lower torso of the rider with extensive modification, the legs were sculpted over a paperclip frame (the soft metal is ideal and plentiful).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0818.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0817.jpg

....bloody picture limit....

Col.Gravis
16-08-2007, 14:17
The torso started life as one made for the Phoenix Club Praetorian Conversion set I've been working on (currently on hold), it turned out ideal for the Roughriders however and so this is where it'll get it's first use, I may or may sculpt another for the Phoexnix Club project later on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0803.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0806.jpg

I've since and currently am working on the arms, I'm doing three separate arms at the moment, one left arm to hold the reins which is what I'm working on at the moment. A right arm at a almost 90 degree angle is already finished (pictured below), this is intended firstly to hold the lance, but as I'm not sculpting hands on can likewise be used for a Chainsword or even Pistol, the second right arm meanwhile is extended outwards a little more intended purely for Pistols or Chainswords, this one I've done the base work for (paperclip cores again are used) and is next on the list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Roughriders/DSCF0794.jpg

The Lances (pictured above) will be narrow metal rod cut into 5cm lengths, the ends will be a blob of green stuff in a pommel type device while I've knocked out a lance tip with green stuff and plastic card, this will be cast and then drilled to fit on the rod. The idea for this came from reading about the FW Death Riders from their Death Korps line.

Last up are the heads, the faces are taken from Hasselfree while the Helmets are Praetorian ones removed from their original owners(!), another time saving measure and one which should give better consistency through the Squadrons. Why use Hasselfree heads then? Well for different expressions rather then being limited to the three Praetorian expressions that exist, it also cuts back on what I'm casting.

thewizardofoz
16-08-2007, 15:18
great sculpts! you are amazing with this stuff of green.

Light of the Emperor
16-08-2007, 16:04
Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I wish I had the GS skills...Definately can't wait to see a whole sculpt!

Col.Gravis
17-08-2007, 17:39
I just hope the casting goes alright lol, if I cant get a result I'm happy with it's really gonna screw up my plans for the GT at this point, I'm not confident at all that I could sculpting up 10 Roughriders I was happy with from scratch in time now.

I've done a little more to the arm I've been working on today, and given the heads ears (always useful for any guardsman), while thats been drying have made a start on the tank, undercoating done and now basecoating.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0822.jpg

jasevx
17-08-2007, 18:51
looking rather spiffing old chap!

Col.Gravis
18-08-2007, 13:12
Okie doke, this is kinda the finished scheme, took this first thing this morning and am now about 2/3rds through the turret, the picture is'nt great, for a change I would say the picture makes it look worse rather then better! Does the greay look alright?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0828.jpg

jasevx
18-08-2007, 13:19
yes, the black hull needs some work doing on it tho! ;)

Col.Gravis
18-08-2007, 13:23
yes, the black hull needs some work doing on it tho! ;)

Damn! I knew there was something, just couldnt quite put my finger on it though ;) lol

Rictus
18-08-2007, 13:34
Love the tank,
Love the crew,
Love the infantry and
Loving the cavalry...

Basically I have positive thoughts whenever I pop into here.

schoolcormorant
18-08-2007, 13:39
yes yes yes! i like a lot. very mech grey and it works.

one thing...please paint grey on the last barrel tube, metal doesn't work for me :p

SC

Col.Gravis
18-08-2007, 13:58
one thing...please paint grey on the last barrel tube, metal doesn't work for me :p

I must admit I'm thinking about it, something does'nt seem right about it though at the same time I like it, I'll see how it looks once I get to getting the barrel painted but if anyone has an opinion on it I'd like to hear what you think would be best to do with the barrel.

Also while I think of it, I'm really not sure how to paint the two 'bits' on the rear of the turret one of which is visiable in the picture, any ideas?

hallowed_are_the_ori
18-08-2007, 14:04
Looking good, i have always loved the Praetorian models, yours are nice :)

Getz
19-08-2007, 01:04
Also while I think of it, I'm really not sure how to paint the two 'bits' on the rear of the turret one of which is visiable in the picture, any ideas?

Personally I'd cut them off. They're one of those annoying bits of detail that aren't actually anything other than a bit of detail to fill up some space.

I think they're meant to be pistol ports, but if that's the case you'd need to climb into the stowage bustle to use them... :eyebrows:

Col.Gravis
20-08-2007, 17:00
Hmm thought about it Getz but in the end that would just be making more work for myself with tidying up afterward, have left them on and just painted them as generic metal bits lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0954.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/New%20Praetorian%20Work%20In%20Progress/Armoured%20Cavalry/DSCF0901.jpg