PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Player calls OGRES BROKEN!

VonUber
02-05-2010, 19:48
Hey all I just played a 2,500pt game vs my brother who uses vampire counts. And my ogres masacred him!... Heres what happend.

Vamps got turn 1 and spam raised shead loads of skeletons (I let them have them due to the fact I only had 4 dispel dice from 2 butchers and I was saving them for that spirt host spell his level 3 had).
My turn 1 I moved (not marched) my ogres foward and into position. I cast Bone cruncher on 1 dice on both (see how he liked spam casting). I got troll guts off on my generals unit, the only spell i got off...

Vamp turn 2, they moved into position and managed to get 2 big units of zombies on my flanks with magic. Then one of his vampire heroes cast that 2D6 S4 hit spell on my bsbs unit , he had the great skull (miss cast on a double 1,2 & 3), he miss cast and rolled a double 1. So he went.
My turn 2 I got a few charges off on his skelly units and was going to wait a turn or 2 before I flanked them... figured I could kill a few faster than he could raise to buy my self some time. I didnt get any spells off.

Vamp turn 3, His generals unit with his black knights got ready to charge me in turn 4. In his magic faze he moved his zombies into my units of bulls (all I could really do). And he cast curse of years from his general onto my generals unit, on a 3,3 & 6. I had the rune maw.. I moved the spell onto my BSB's unit (LOL). The vampire lord rolled a 4 Killing 2 of his blood knights, loosing a wizard level and loosing a wound (he failed his ward save).
My turn 3 was basicly getting my generals unit ready to take the charge from his generals unit (best I could do) I also got the flank charge off on his skeletons with some ironguts. As he failed to raise some some zombie re direction units. In combat I killed another one of his vampires with an iron gut. It was awsome. But the units bounced off as I only caused those 2 wounds and he caused many... they panicing my gnomblars and a unit of bulls.

Vamp Turn 4; Vampire lords unit charged mine. And his faze was cast to heal the vamp lord and his other vampire making his units bigger and making another unit of skeletons charge my generals flank with the spell (the bulls that flead were the flank protecting unit). Combat. His unit champion challenged, mine accepted. And his vampire lord declared all his attacks on my tyrant. He had the dread lance and red fury.... he wounded with all 4 of his attacks, I had the spangle shard, I passed 3 of the saves and then passed the 4rth save from his redfury ability. His knights had the hatred banner and most of there attacks hit and he killed 2 of the iron guts. My tyrant bitch slaped his vampire lord, He had the tenderiser, he wounded 3 times, the vampire lord failed 1 of the ward saves and I caused 3 wounds with the D3. Vampire lord dead.

From then on I watched his army crumble.

And he hasnt stoped calling my ogre army broken :D

Hope you Enjoyed my badly writen battle report. And made some of you giggle from Ogres beating vamps into the ground.

grumbaki
02-05-2010, 20:22
That does sound broken. You passed 3 ward saves and then managed to get 1 wound through, which made its 33% chance of doing the 3 wounds needed. God, I'd hate to face that army.

It teaches him right though. When playing an army as weak as vampire counts, you really need to make your lord a pure spell caster and keep him out of harms way. Fie on him for getting into combat!

ClockworkCorsair
02-05-2010, 20:27
passing the spell off to the protected bsb unit was pure genious. Congrats the on the victory, it sounds like you deserved it.

Whats your list comprised of?

Toshiro
02-05-2010, 20:30
lol, that made for a good laugh :D

Pacorko
02-05-2010, 21:17
Ooooo, boy! Bitchslap a vamp who happened to be a glass-jaw and OKs are broken?

I cannot help but laugh really hard after reading the story. At first, whne reading the thread's title I was :wft: surely this is a joke froma sore looser.

Now, I see it is all a matter of great tactics, keeping your cool in the face of fangy danger, and making the most from your enemy's overconfidence.

It read like a great game!

For the OKs, anyway!

"Hur, hur, hur... One slap and he's down... My grox takes five just to gettit to stand up in the morn!"

theunwantedbeing
02-05-2010, 21:25
Yay for the spangleshard and vamp opponents who roll lots of 2's to wound granting you the maximum ward save!

He'de not have been so miffed if he had the frostblade instead.
The spangleshard isnt much help when the other guy needs 4's or even 5's to wound.

Kalandros
02-05-2010, 21:35
Hmm, transfering the spell means the spell is succesful and would not now be a miscast on the BSB's unit, remember that next time. The moment you transfer the spell, you accept it as it is, no chance for dispel or anything - the spell has passed, even with his double 3s against your item.

Drasanil
02-05-2010, 22:41
Hmm, transfering the spell means the spell is succesful and would not now be a miscast on the BSB's unit, remember that next time. The moment you transfer the spell, you accept it as it is, no chance for dispel or anything - the spell has passed, even with his double 3s against your item.

Miscasts take precedence over a successful casting roll regardless, as such the spell would only have went through if there was an exception written in for transferring spells.

Kalandros
02-05-2010, 23:22
You don't understand, if you transfer the spell to a unit that has Magic Resistance, you don't suddenly gain MR Dice to dispel it - once you use the transfer the spell's effects apply, there is nothing that will stop it not even that double 1-2-3 miscast item.

Its got nothing to do with the precedence of Miscasts over Irresistible Force. The Miscast does not occur as the item does not trigger because the spell was not cast at that unit, it was cast at another unit and the spell's effects get transfered.

The spell happens. Plain and simple.

Jind_Singh
02-05-2010, 23:29
I agree with Kalandros's interpretation of the rules. The rune maw sates that if a spell is 'successfully cast' it can be deflected to a new target within 6" of the standard - hence the Vampire had to successfully cast the spell in order for it to be deflected. This means it can't be miscast!
Also, as pointed by Kalandros, the new unit being affected couldn't do anything about the spell in any way, shape, nor form - if the spell is successfully cast the effects have to be applied.
It was a good effort on your behalf, until I re-read the Ogre Kingdoms book I was giggling myself!
Still, despite the rules interpretation sounds like the Vampire deserved a good thumping - good work with the Ogres!

Agnar the Howler
02-05-2010, 23:35
I assume that the item is used once the spell has been but before it's effects are applied. I don't know the wording of the item but it seems to me that the only thing it needs to be able to transfer a spell is a sucessful casting, the spells effects aren't yet applied, and since there is nothing that states that a sucessful cast attempt cannot be turned into a miscast via an item or effect, it is turned into a miscast before the effects are applied.

The reason you will not get MR dispel dice is because the spell has already been sucessfully cast, you cannot transfer a spell that hasn't been sucessfully cast as there is no spell.

Again, bear in mind that I don't own the book, so direct wording would be preferred.

Kalandros
02-05-2010, 23:42
Anyway, lets leave it at that - we don't need to debate it further, it wasn't a game-deciding miscast from what I read. just something to watch out for as I'm certain that it should be played how I stated above.

We can discuss it further in a rules thread though.

puppetmaster24
02-05-2010, 23:49
oh my god how could you.

you used tactics to win. that is just so over the top.

Jind_Singh
02-05-2010, 23:54
When a spell is successfully cast by an enemy spell caster against the unit bearing the rune maw, roll a d6. On the roll of a 2+, the controlling player may redirect the spell against another friendly unit within 6" of the unit with the standard, regardless of whether it was originally a valid target or not.

Ogre Kingdoms army book - Games Workshop

So you see the spell had to be successfully cast in order for it to be redirected.

Agnar the Howler
03-05-2010, 00:09
When a spell is successfully cast by an enemy spell caster against the unit bearing the rune maw, roll a d6. On the roll of a 2+, the controlling player may redirect the spell against another friendly unit within 6" of the unit with the standard, regardless of whether it was originally a valid target or not.

Ogre Kingdoms army book - Games Workshop

So you see the spell had to be successfully cast in order for it to be redirected.

Being sucessfully cast does not prevent it from being turned into a miscast, it merely prevents further dispel attempts. If it were to be transferred to a unit with MR, the effect would still be applied as the time to dispel has passed, however there is no time specified during casting where a miscast can no longer occur.

Being sucessfully cast means nothing.

VonUber
03-05-2010, 00:30
For those who are wondering what my list was.
2,500pts
Tyrant: Tenderiser & Heavy Armour, Spangle shard
Bruiser: BSB, heavy armour & Greatskull
2xButcher's
3 units of 4 bulls /w ironfists, standard & bellower
2 units of 20 gnoblars
4 Iron guts /w full command and Rune Maw
4 Iron guts / w full command and warbanner
2x Gorgers
4 Iron guts /w standard and bellower
3x Yetees

And the wording for the Great skull says the caster will miss cast on a double 1, 2 or 3.

We both read it as it would work, and that combo was also In a white dwarf a while back in a battle report (cant rember what issue) and we both agreed it worked.

And I agree with Agnar the Howler (Would quate but I put this in an edit)
Also, that combo didnt do much as they raised it back again, it was just a wizard level gone on a guy who died in combat soon after.