PDA

View Full Version : Challenges/Removing Casualties

Anvilbrow
03-05-2010, 06:23
An interesting point came up in a game yesterday. Player A hit the flank of a large unit of Player B's high elf spearmen with a NG on Giant Squig. He issued a challenge to the Lvl 2 High Elf mage in contact (he was on the front corner of the unit). High Elf player refuses and the mage is removed from contact. The player A then claimed that the high elves only got three attacks as the spearman replacing the removed mage could not fight in the combat as per the rules in removing casualties/stepping up. Player B actually agrees although he wasn't too convinced.

Me, being the third party, didn't say a word (I hate table talkers) but quietly looked it up in the relevant sections of the BRB. In the challenge section it simply states that the retired character is replaced (and this happens before combat takes place). In the removing casualties/stepping up section it says quite clearly that models replacing those in the fighting rank cannot attack.

I am 99.9% convinced that the stepping up model DOES in fact get to fight in a declined challenge.

Thoughts?

Zaustus
03-05-2010, 06:41
You are correct.

This should go in the rules forum, though.

Anvilbrow
04-05-2010, 00:29
Well thank you. That clears up two things. The second being, "Where the hell did I post my question?" I thought the mods had removed it for some reason. I must have mis-selected the sub-forum last night... my bad.

Can a mod please move this to rules? Thanks.