PDA

View Full Version : Which plastic kit/s should be next?

The Marshel
03-05-2010, 10:12
The tittle pretty much says it all. What do you guys feel is most in need/most deserving of a plastic kit? Or simply which would you like to see more? I have bunched a few options as i dont really see one being releases without the other.

Personally, i would really love dunland warriors. not only would it provide plastics version of mins i really like, but would also provide a good general model for any evil barbaric men.

just a few clarifications
by numenroean and high elf plastic kits i mean separate sets for each, with 8/8/8 bows spears and shields for each

By dwarf elites I'm thinking of maybe a 12 12 split of iron guard and khazad guard, or a well designed kit that can make up to 24 of either

Hellfury
03-05-2010, 10:31
Thank goodness many other companies make great looking models that go nicely with GW lotr style for dunlendings/carn dum/etc.

Dr Death
03-05-2010, 10:42
For me it's a toss-up between warriors of arnor who need a full array of wargear options desperately (how half arsed do you have to be to say 'right, spearmen and rangers, that's all the bases covered), or the Warriors of Numenor/High Elves. It was a nice idea at the time to have a combined box, but now that things are all about armies, we could neatly replace three lots of metal figures with something cheaper and pretty much as detailed.

Dr Death

The Question
03-05-2010, 11:27
Voted for separate Elves/Numenoreans box sets, mainly for the reasons Dr Death gave. While the combined box set was good at the time of it's release, the current era really requires a seperate box set for each to allow armies of each to be built more easily, the Numenoreans in particular as at this moment in time, any weapons beyond hand weapons and shields need to be bought as metal blisters, which can obviously be prohibitively expensive for what are basic troops.

ForgottenLore
03-05-2010, 12:42
Voted for the Dwarven Elites. right now it just seems like there is too much metal involved in making a dwarven army.

My first alternate would be Easterling Kataphracts

Jobu
03-05-2010, 14:39
I would say that the best options for them ie GW would be for plastic wild men. That fills in an isengaurd and angmar gap. As for good I would say they will go for dwarf champion from WotR. I bet he turns up as some dwarf in a mechanical type suite since I see WotR heading in the WFB direction.

ForgottenLore
03-05-2010, 20:05
Oh, I forgot.

A plastic Ent that wasn't incredibly ugly would be nice too.

Jobu is right though. plastic barbarians has a lot of crossover appeal.

The various Feifdoms and sub-groups of Gondor would be very popular too, Axemen, Foot Knights, Clansmen and so on.

Whitwort Stormbringer
03-05-2010, 22:11
I voted Warriors of Arnor, although really for me it's kind of a 4-way tie between them, Dunlendings, Warriors of Khand, and Numenoreans. Those are three armies that are sorely lacking any real plastic set, and so for me that bumps them to the top of the list (I guess with 2nd age elves a close second). The elves deserve one too, but since they comprise the majority of the Last Alliance set and they have two troop types in plastic rather than one, I figured their need wasn't quite as high as Numenor's.

Other plastics like the Dwarf Elites, Rohan Royal Guard, knights on foot, and Mordor Uruks would be very cool indeed, but they're kind of luxuries in comparison with the need for basic troops from some other armies.

A plastic set of hobbits could be very cool, although the problem as I see it is that no one's going to buy more than one set of them, so it probably doesn't rank high on GW's "to-do" list. If they did, I'd like 8/8/8 - militia/bowmen/sherrifs, with an optional arm on one bowman to carry a horn.

Forgot to add, I think a really cool set they could make, either blisters or boxed or whatever, would be a fiefdoms conversion pack. They could be plastic or metal, whichever makes more sense, but I think it would be really cool to do a handful of extra heads and arms that would be compatible with some existing sets (Warriors of Minas Tirith and Rangers of Middle Earth come to mind) to make some fiefdom warriors. Obviously, this would require a bit of modelling on the part of the players, since none of those figures come with separate heads and very few have separate arms, but it sure would be a nice way of getting fiefdoms into the game without requiring that folks use up 3 figures in one conversion, or have to do a bunch of putty work. A quick cut to remove the random arm or head and then a replacement that could be glued on would be really cool, IMO.

ForgottenLore
03-05-2010, 22:32
I voted Warriors of Arnor, although really for me it's kind of a 4-way tie between them, Dunlendings, Warriors of Khand, and Numenoreans. Those are three armies that are sorely lacking any real plastic set, and so for me that bumps them to the top of the list

I was going to say something here, but then I realized, I don't really know how the factions are organized in SBG. Are those groups actually separate armies in SBG?

Because in WotR Arnor and Numenoreans are part of the Gondor list, which already has lots of formations in plastic, Dunlendings are part of Isengard which has tons of plastic and Khand is joined with Haradrim and Easterlings in one army.

So from this perspective, all those armies already have a fair amount of plastic, compared with Dwarves who only have 2 plastic kits to cover a sizable army list.

WD40
03-05-2010, 23:39
I voted for seperate Numenor/High elf boxes, but i sorta also think High Elf Cohorts should be plastic. I'd play elves if the spearmen were plastic, since rivendell gaurd are probably the best unit. But theyre not, so fielding a sizeable unit is expensive. I wish they kept the old Lothlorien elves w/ bows models, and turned them plastic. (im not too big of a fan of the galadrahim models, aside from the ones with pikes).

Similarly, i think that axemen of lossarnach, and the clansmen and such should get plastic kits too. They could easily do a box of 10 and 10, like the fighting uruk-hai box. I always liked the models for citadel/fountain gaurd as well.

Isengard was an army i was thinking about, but the crossbowmen are metal. Easterlings were also something i was considering as well, but getting a good unit of kataphrakts costs way too much.

I don't think dwarves need plastics, but thats probably beacuse i don't think iron gaurd are that great (the thrown weapons are nice, but i dont think its worth losing 1str and 2h weapons), nor vault wardens. I made lists for fallen realms, isengard, and dwarves, and the dwarf army was 100ish$ cheaper than the others, even with 3 ballistas and khazad gaurd.

Yeah they have 1 plastic kit to cover a sizeable army list, but easterlings have 1 (obviously), isengard with the execption of taking orcs and sappers, have 2, khand doesnt have any (right?), rohan has 2 i think. Atleast with dwarves you can make Murin's gaurd, drar's hunters, durin's guard, moria expeditionaries, ered luin rangers, rangers, archers, and warriors all with the same 2 boxes. I suppose rohan has the same capeabilities.

Khamul
04-05-2010, 00:16
It's really close between Mordor Uruk-hai and Black Numenorians. I chose Black Numenorians because they're great Elite, which I think Mordor needs in plastic.

ForgottenLore
04-05-2010, 00:33
Bah, there are already 2 boxes of plastic Uruk Hai that work equally well for Isengard or Mordor, and 2 boxes of plastic Orcs.

I do like WD40's idea of a combined fiefdoms kit though. I would make it 8 Axemen of Lossarnach, 8 Clansmen of Lamedon and maybe 8 Men at Arms of Dol Amroth to make it more compatible with WotR.

Even though I play WotR where you want lots a one type of fig rather than a couple of many types, such a configuration would see those somewhat rare units made plastic sooner and would still be cheaper than the metal ones, even if you only wanted one of the 3 it would still only be like $3.50 per fig instead of $5 and you would be getting the 16 extra figs as a bonus. And this way GW could phase out 3 different blisters and replace them with a single plastic kit.

someone2040
04-05-2010, 07:09
Perhaps as ungrateful as it sounds, just getting plastic Swan Knights. I want more fiefdoms.
Combined Clansmen/Axemen kit would be good.
Combined Men At Arms/Foot Knights would be good as well.
All I know is, I have to fork out tonnes for my infantry. Cheaper Knights is nice, but would've been nice if there were some Foot Knights to go along with it. I mean, could've used the same heads, shields and probably torso's. Just a matter of sculpting legs, arms and Men-At-Arms.
So yeah, maybe a little ungrateful!

Still, there's a lot of room for plastic kits in Lord of the Rings. It's a new game (Compared to Fantasy and 40k at least!), so they're getting there.

clarkey1991
04-05-2010, 07:51
i chose high elves, its time for a revamp for these guys cos im sure many of you joined the game because the high elves looked so good. And i would really like some plastic high elf spearmen, cos i cant afford the packs of three

anyways theres who im voting for

kind regards

Tarax
04-05-2010, 09:42
I voted the seperate HE/Numenor kit. Because you have to remember that any new (infantry) set will come with 24 models. With HE you can get 8 archers, 8 glaives (which we already have) and 8 spears. Likewise you can do the Numenoreans.

A combined set of Axemen, etc will IMO not work, because some people only want one faction and not the others.

Another thing I like to see is possibilities for command groups in sets. Currently only a couple of cavalry sets have these options, but not so for infantry.

Darthvegeta800
04-05-2010, 11:02
Dol Amroth Swan Knights and man-at-arms on foot should be next.
Then I'll end up making a Swan Knight themed force.

Chris_Tzeentch
04-05-2010, 11:56
Legion of the dead horsemen would be nice.

ForgottenLore
04-05-2010, 17:26
A combined set of Axemen, etc will IMO not work, because some people only want one faction and not the others.

That's why I made the point that even if you only want one third of such a set, it is still cheaper than the current metal ones are now.

And you get 2 companies of guys that you may not need right away but can try out sometime.

Whitwort Stormbringer
04-05-2010, 18:47
I was going to say something here, but then I realized, I don't really know how the factions are organized in SBG. Are those groups actually separate armies in SBG?

Because in WotR Arnor and Numenoreans are part of the Gondor list, which already has lots of formations in plastic, Dunlendings are part of Isengard which has tons of plastic and Khand is joined with Haradrim and Easterlings in one army.

In SBG armies aren't as rigid, and since from a background perspective these are all distinct factions that would have rarely (or never, for Gondor/Numenor) been fielded together I count them as seperate groups.

However, if they're all lumped together in WotR then I understand the need for other plastics, too

The Marshel
05-05-2010, 09:38
legions of middle earth does divide evil and good into groups like khuan, easterlings, Dunland, the shire etc

some list are clearly not meant to be self sufficient and most mono list armies arn't really that good, but you could technically make an all dunland/khand/whatever army in sbg if ya really wanted

Hellfury
05-05-2010, 15:13
Legion of the dead horsemen would be nice.

Very true. They aren't good enough to spend $12 each to make a unit. But I would spend $33 on a unit of 6 just for kicks in my angmar army.

WD40
05-05-2010, 22:18
They should do a cheesy pike mega-box. Men at arms, axemen of lossarnach, gaurds of the galadrahim court, vault wardens, easterling pikemen, uruk-hai phalanx. But of course, easterling pikemen should come in come in a ratio less than the rest of the models. Like... 12 men at arms, 12 vault wardens, 2 easterling pikemen etc. etc. (Kidding). In that respect, they need a new easterling box that has 8 pikemen.

About the combined box of Fiefdom models, i think it would be cool, but now im thinking its a bad idea. Alot of people want seperate High Elves/Numenorian boxes, and combining the fiefdoms would just make us want seperate boxes creating another similar problem.

But!!!! *idea* for 40k, theres boxes for ork boyz, space marine tacticals, and gaunts, that are 5 for 8.50 or something like that? Since gondor has so damn many blisters, they could easily create plastics and sell them like that (but in 4s? since we need multiples of 8). Its still sort of expensive, but its 2.20ish per model instead of 4.5-5$. That atleast cuts the price in half. I suppose the problem for GW is the start-up cost for converting the models into plastics. I know it costs them alot of money to do that, and the only reason they've been doing it, is because its cheaper to produce the plastics in the long run. (Wouldn't it be ironic if plastic prices got higher than metal beacuse of some oil catastrophy?)

What about an orc mega box? 96 Mordor Orcs for 90$ or something. 72 orcs + a troll? I suppose you could do it for all the major factions.

How about a mumak without mold lines of doom?

ForgottenLore
05-05-2010, 22:37
I am against redoing anything that is currently in plastic until all of the metal non-heroes have been converted to plastic.

While it is somewhat annoying to have to buy numenoreans when all I want is the high elves, those figs are still quite a bit cheaper than their metal counterparts would be.

A combined fiefdoms box would allow all 3 of those unit types to be made in plastic much sooner than they otherwise would be and would be cheaper than metal.

I would much rather be able pay $3.50 per fig that I wanted now and end up with a bunch of stuff I can use for an army in the future than pay $5 per fig now, only get the figs I am going to immediately use, and have to wait 6-8 years for plastic versions of them to come out.

Big battalion boxes would be great, if they were at a price discount. I would be all over a moria battalion that included a bunch of goblin and warg sprues and maybe a plastic cave troll or two, but that doesn't seem to be in the future for us, sadly.

GodlessM
06-05-2010, 00:44
Personally I'd rather they start remaking the kits as multi-part jobs rather than moving onto new stuff for the time being. Just sticking an arm or shield on is a pain for conversion possiblities.

ForgottenLore
06-05-2010, 00:50
Yes it is a pain for conversions, but I would rather have miniatures that cost $1.30 and are difficult to convert than ones that cost $3.50, which is what multi-part plastics is going to lead to.

If I had the money I would be very tempted to simply spend a hundred dollars on each plastic kit currently out now, so that I won't have to spend $500 to get the same number of miniatures later on down the road.

Whitwort Stormbringer
06-05-2010, 02:03
On the combined fiefdoms idea - some people seem to think it's not such a hot idea because people will only want one of the troop types. That kind of occurred to me too, which is why I proposed the "conversion pack" idea (to convert existing minis into fiefdom minis with a head or arm swap, something like that).

However, how many of us actually play fiefdoms? Of that number, how many actually collect a pure army from one fiefdom? What I'm getting at is, the fiefdoms are not designed to be balanced as stand-alone armies, they're supposed to work together. So a boxed set that was, say, 8/8/8 Dol Amroth (Spear/pikemen), Anfalas (bowmen), and Ringlo Vale (sword/shield) would be a good, balanced box that you could build a real army out of. Individual plastic sets for all the fiefdoms would be more models than most of us would have use for, and probably not economically viable for GW.

ForgottenLore
06-05-2010, 02:07
Anfalas (bowmen), and Ringlo Vale (sword/shield)

Wow, I don't have any idea who those people are.

Think I recall something in the books about a region known as Anfalas, but that's about it.

fracas
06-05-2010, 02:51
1. dunelings/wild men of cairn dum
2. plastic kataphratk
3. plastic khand

ForgottenLore
06-05-2010, 03:11
Yeah, those 3 would be good as well. Kind of generic barbarians would have a lot of cross army usefulness and Fallen Realms are such a popular army Kataphracts and Khandish foot and mounted would all go over real well.

Midloo
06-05-2010, 16:03
These are all deserving of plastics! I had a very hard time choosing one, but settled on Mordor Uruk Hai. It just seems to me that since they are a very common and ubiquitous troop type in the films and books, they deserve a plastic realease. Any themed list would have lots more of them if they were in plastic - despite their weak statline. Guess I was the only one that felt they need some love over all the others!

I'd really like to see half-trolls in plastic as well. They would make it into more of my Harad forces if they weren't so hard on the wallet.

ForgottenLore
06-05-2010, 16:06
Oh, yeah. Half trolls would be great.

The thing with Mordor Uruk Hai is we already have plastic Isengard Uruk Hai that work, I think, interchangably. So I don't really see a need for specifically Mordor ones at all. Same way Isengard has Mordor Orcs.

WD40
06-05-2010, 23:57
Well theres a seperate box for mordor orcs and morannon orcs. So why not seperate boxes for mordor and isengard uruks? They look different, have different armor, and have different weapons (2 handed weapons).

ForgottenLore
07-05-2010, 00:17
Actually I was never real clear on why they did bother with a second box of orcs, I just know that the Isengard section of the online store lists "mordor orcs" as an Isengard troop selection. And that works fine. No one is clamoring for an "Isengard Orc" kit. Likewise the Warg Riders kit is used by both.

I don't object to "Mordor Uruks" being produced eventually, I would just much rather they made some of the stuff that doesn't have perfectly usable plastics already instead of making the next kit be something that is going to be almost indistinguishable from an existing plastic kit without close inspection.

It is the same objection I have to recutting the Last Alliance warriors. Yeah, it would be nice, but Kataphracts and half trolls and Dunlendings and Dead Horsemen and Axemen and Clansmen and Swan Knights on Foot and Black Numenoreans and Werewolves and Khazad Guard and Guards of the Fountain Court and a whole host of others cost $5 or more per miniature, and people are complaining that high elves with glaives cost $1.90 and come with a free Numenorean.

Whitwort Stormbringer
07-05-2010, 21:33
Wow, I don't have any idea who those people are.

Think I recall something in the books about a region known as Anfalas, but that's about it.

Haha, yeah, maybe a tad obscure (but then, Dol Amroth aside, so were the other fiefdoms before their official releases). I don't remember much about them from the book, I just pulled them from WD 300 which is when Gw first released fiefdoms.

There were a number of others in that article that still haven't been released, as well as profiles for some of their leaders.

The Marshel
09-05-2010, 06:06
is that the us or uk version of wd 300? i've got the uk version and it has bunch of harad stuff but no fiefdoms

WD40
09-05-2010, 14:24
What about armored moria goblins + prowlers? Right now theyre 66cents a point, where as the fiefdoms stuff is like 62.5cents a point, and you don't need 3/4 of your army made of them.

800 point list:
-9 companies of prowlers
-9 companies of gunabad blackshields
-Cursed armor of the udun
-9 companies of wargs
-Durburz + Druzhag (785 total)
Cost: 639$ or 82 cents per point (and that doesnt include the models that you can summon with Druzhad).

Whitwort Stormbringer
09-05-2010, 18:10
is that the us or uk version of wd 300? i've got the uk version and it has bunch of harad stuff but no fiefdoms

Haha, ah, there we go. That's why in the other thread (Black Numenoreans) I was confused.

This is US WD 300, with the painting of the White Dwarf on the front and the 6th ed. profile inside. The LotR section is all the fiefdom profiles, and a battle report between some warriors of Minas Tirith and Corsairs of Umbar. So I guess the US version with all the Harad stuff must be US WD 301 or so.

The Marshel
09-05-2010, 22:21
Haha, ah, there we go. That's why in the other thread (Black Numenoreans) I was confused.

This is US WD 300, with the painting of the White Dwarf on the front and the 6th ed. profile inside. The LotR section is all the fiefdom profiles, and a battle report between some warriors of Minas Tirith and Corsairs of Umbar. So I guess the US version with all the Harad stuff must be US WD 301 or so.

well, now i know what white dwarf i need to get my hands on next then, thanks

What about armored moria goblins + prowlers? Right now theyre 66cents a point, where as the fiefdoms stuff is like 62.5cents a point, and you don't need 3/4 of your army made of them.

800 point list:
-9 companies of prowlers
-9 companies of gunabad blackshields
-Cursed armor of the udun
-9 companies of wargs
-Durburz + Druzhag (785 total)
Cost: 639$ or 82 cents per point (and that doesnt include the models that you can summon with Druzhad).

are you using solely the metal moria goblins for gunabad black shields? you realise that those minis really are just metal versions of moria goblins don't you? you could just as easily use moria golbins for the formation, just paint the armour black rather then metal. alternatively have a front line of metal gobs and a back line of plastics, noone would complain. as for the prowlers, that is a bit tricker, back in sbg prowlers could take the same wargear as regular goblins, so most people just used different coloured cloth or greenstuffed a hood or similar. what you could do it take all you're plastic goblins with spears, green stuff some clothe around their mouth and replace the spear head for something more axe like. once again, front rank metals back rank conversions and noone will complain

someone2040
10-05-2010, 02:03
are you using solely the metal moria goblins for gunabad black shields? you realise that those minis really are just metal versions of moria goblins don't you? you could just as easily use moria golbins for the formation, just paint the armour black rather then metal. alternatively have a front line of metal gobs and a back line of plastics, noone would complain. as for the prowlers, that is a bit tricker, back in sbg prowlers could take the same wargear as regular goblins, so most people just used different coloured cloth or greenstuffed a hood or similar. what you could do it take all you're plastic goblins with spears, green stuff some clothe around their mouth and replace the spear head for something more axe like. once again, front rank metals back rank conversions and noone will complain
Exactly. That's my plan right there after I do my Fiefs.
Going a little further and chopping the armoured heads off and putting them onto other bodies to get my Gundabad Blackshields (As I want them all to have a shield).
Using the spear bodies for Prowlers. Not simple conversions, but not hugely difficult either.

WD40
10-05-2010, 19:42
Regardless of the conversion work you can do to get around spending that much money, i'm saying that they should come in plastics. Is there any reason that they should be metal? Expecially the prowlers--theyre a common formation that can take up to 9 companies. The only plus is that there's 4 models in a blister... making each company 30$, or like 20$ from another place.

And the armored goblins are more aesthetically pleasing to me than the normal ones. But thats my opinion.

What does everyone think about the new plastic winged nazgul model? I like the old one so much more. They should bring it back! But if it was metal, then its probably really annoying to pin.