PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of Tomb Kings... opponent using WoC

Yamabushi
03-05-2010, 15:52
Hi guys, I've an upcoming 2000 point game this coming weekend against WoC. I'm not familiar with their rules or what are considered to be powerful in the book. What I do know is that my opponent is a decent chap and not a powergamer, so I can expect a balanced approach to his army.

This is what I'm going to field:

Characters

Tomb King (General)
Light Armor
Destroyer of Eternities
Collar of Shapesh

Liche Priest (Hierophant)
Cloak of The Dunes
Hieratic Jar

Liche Priest
Skeletal Steed
Dispel Scroll

Tomb Prince
Chariot
Light Armor
Sword of Might
Chariot of Fire

Core

Skeleton Soldiers x 16
Champion
Standard Bearer with Banner of the Undying Legion

Skeleton Soldiers x 16
Champion
Standard Bearer

Chariots x 3

Special

Tomb Guard x 21
Champion
Standard Bearer with the Icon of Rakaph

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Ushabti x 3

Rare

Screaming Skull Catapult
Skulls of the Foe upgrade

My gameplan is to use the Soldiers to fire arrows and screen the main force. Once the enemy is in close combat range, they reform and sponge the enemy, allowing the hammer units in this list to (hopefully) pull of a flank charge.

Any ideas on what I should look out for, or how to improve this?

Zoidia
04-05-2010, 06:18
not to nit pic or anything but the chariots are only core units if the Tomb King has a chariot not the prince. but a part from that good list :D

Yamabushi
04-05-2010, 07:21
Hmmm... I was under the impression that as long as you take a King as your lord choice, you unlock Chariots as Core choices. Thanks for the comments though :)

ClockworkCorsair
04-05-2010, 08:01
I second the notion of Kings making chariots core but I dont have the book in front of me.
I don't see alot of hitting power to this list honestly. The 16 bowmen just seem so oddly numbered? Also the banner seems like a waste on them as they are expected to die after shooting.
I would cut those units down as much as you could. For sure drop the banners on both of them and the champ as the additional ballistic skill doesn't matter (You still only hit on 5s) and the banners are free points for your enemy.
After dropping the skellies down and the command you may have enough points to ramp up the TG.
Assuming they are the ones going to bodyguard your general (and with the collar) they need to be able to take the wounds. They are a great unit to have the bannery of the undying legion with and need to be as big as you can get them.
Also give you King a shield. Its just a few points and helps against shooting.

Mullitron
04-05-2010, 09:51
Got the book with me; as long as your army is led by a tomb king, chariots count as core. It doesnt require the king to be mounted on a chariot himself tho. Iam looking into starting a tomb kings list myself after recently rediscovering my old army book. Theres a thread in the tactics forum discussion about setups for tomb kings. I was looking into putting a king on a chariot also, however from the replys in the thread it seems kings are usuly best on foot with the destroyer of eternities in a unit of tomb guard.

Chaos Undecided
04-05-2010, 12:00
One possible concern I have with the list is the idea of using a unit of 16 skeleton archers as a "sponge" to absorb the enemies charges especially versus an army like Chaos where several of their units dependent on marks and attached characters could easily blow through such a unit in a single turn once combat res casaulties go through. I'd rather have a chunky unit of warriors with armor and shields to act as an anvil alongside the guard.

Spiney Norman
04-05-2010, 15:27
The skeleton blocks should really be 20 minimum to absorb charges, 25 is preferable. 3 Ushabti is also a questionable strategy, 4 is by far the best loadout, and even then Ushabs are pretty sub-par, another chariot unit might serve you better.

To save a few points you could probably go down to one scorpion.

My advice would be to drop the chariot prince and take a casket on your secondary priest, otherwise its a pretty good list.

Yamabushi
05-05-2010, 02:48
I don't see alot of hitting power to this list honestly. The 16 bowmen just seem so oddly numbered? Also the banner seems like a waste on them as they are expected to die after shooting.
I would cut those units down as much as you could. For sure drop the banners on both of them and the champ as the additional ballistic skill doesn't matter (You still only hit on 5s) and the banners are free points for your enemy.
After dropping the skellies down and the command you may have enough points to ramp up the TG.
Assuming they are the ones going to bodyguard your general (and with the collar) they need to be able to take the wounds. They are a great unit to have the bannery of the undying legion with and need to be as big as you can get them.
Also give you King a shield. Its just a few points and helps against shooting.

First of, thanks for your input. :) The idea of the bowmen is to shoot and hopefully absorb a charge, hence the banner. The champion actually shares the same BS as the rest of his unit, but thats not the main purpose he is here. WoC champions and characters have to issue and accept challenges, so by having a champion, I hope to tie down his characters for at least a turn. The King doesn't really need a shield as WoC has negligible shooting and he can't use it with the DoE in combat anyways..

@ Chaos Undecided and Spiney Norman: Indeed, I see now that the blocks need to be larger to be able to absorb charges.

Is it cost effective to have HW+LA+Shield Skellies against WoC? Or just use them in sacrificial 10-man units to redirect charges?

@ Spiney Norman: Haha...the 3 Ushabti's are point fillers as I need a hammer unit and are restricted by what models I have on hand at the moment. Casket... Hmm, is it really good against an army like WoC? Most of their troops have high LD (if I remember correctly). Also, I don't think the prince should go as he provides much needed hitting power to the unit of chariots

Mr.Arg
06-05-2010, 02:27
Is it cost effective to have HW+LA+Shield Skellies against WoC? Or just use them in sacrificial 10-man units to redirect charges?

i would say no, if you do that, you are trying to out-do what woc are meant to do and skellies can't achieve the same level of pwnage that woc can dish out. i'd put your points elsewhere.

Yamabushi
06-05-2010, 03:41
i would say no, if you do that, you are trying to out-do what woc are meant to do and skellies can't achieve the same level of pwnage that woc can dish out. i'd put your points elsewhere.

Hahaha... the reason for the equipment is to increase the survivability of the skellies in order to tarpit the enemy. Was just wondering if the cost of spending on that build is worthwhile or not. :)