PDA

View Full Version : A fantasy noob needs help with first army - WoC.

stuiehendo
03-05-2010, 19:15
Hi guys!

So Im new to fantasy and have finally bought my first couple of models. I have a battallion box, an extra box of warriors, a box of marauder horsemen and 2 sorcerors, but I am happy to buy new stuff and nit use all the stuff I have at first.

Can anyone help me out with a good starting list? I am looking at around 1500 points, and I want it to be pretty magic heavy.

I also am going to paint a Slaanesh theme through my army, so it will probably help to incorporate that into the list fluff wise.

All help greatly appreciated.

Love and hugs, Stu.

BigbyWolf
04-05-2010, 16:20
Do you have a WoC armybook yet? That would be my first suggestion.
As far as going magic heavy with Slaanesh, that can be somewhat tricky due to the fact that the majority of their spells won't affect ItP units, and the number of those around is increasing...so I would suggest looking at the armies you may come up against before you make any decisions.

Finally, you have 2 units of Warriors, one of Marauders, one unit of Horsemen, 1 unit Knights and 2 units of 5 Hounds...it's a good start, you can make a nice little army with that and the characters you have. And if you want to add anything in another box of Knights is always useful (and cheap) and the new River Trolls aren't too hard to convert (or proxy) as Chaos Trolls.

PeG
04-05-2010, 16:46
Just remember that you infantry is slow and you have no shooting meaning that either you need some fast units that are capable of killing things in your list (knights, horsemen). You can partially compensate by going magic heavy but it is unreliable against most opponents.

I have an opponent that likes to play infantry heavy WoC and my WE runs in circles around picking them of with shooting and picking combats for which I can get flank charges (flank charges ar usually better than rear charges against WoC)

Also remember that we are getting a new version og the game soon which will most likely change the balance between different types of units equipment etc.

Malorian
04-05-2010, 20:17
Also remember that we are getting a new version og the game soon which will most likely change the balance between different types of units equipment etc.

Exaclty, so just throw together any list you want, give them a try, and then when 8th comes out you'll have a good enough handle on the army that you'll know what direction to take.

stuiehendo
06-05-2010, 13:34
Thanks for all your responses so far guys!

How do ogres fit into chaos armies in practice? To me they seem very expensive for what they are? Is it useful to take a small unit of, say 3, or are the points best spent on more warriors or another magic slinger etc?

BigbyWolf
06-05-2010, 16:57
Thanks for all your responses so far guys!

How do ogres fit into chaos armies in practice? To me they seem very expensive for what they are? Is it useful to take a small unit of, say 3, or are the points best spent on more warriors or another magic slinger etc?

I find that for 150 points you get a unit of 3 with Chaos Armour and Great Weapons. They are pretty versatile and hit hard,, as well as having a decent save. So if you have the points spare, and dont really have anything else to spend it on, invest in some ogres.