PDA

View Full Version : If the Mawloc gets FAQ, would it change Tyranids for you?

mafty
03-05-2010, 22:20
Obviously one of the most ambiguous rules ever. Lets say GW rules it you can deepstrike onto another squad without trying to scatter onto them. Would more people consider using the Mawloc?

Note: This is not a rules debate thread. Just curious if the FAQ will make things in the codex more usable

GrogDaTyrant
03-05-2010, 22:23
Possibly... but IMO it practically needs to be able to start it's deep-strike on top of enemy units in order to be useful. And even then, it still amounts to little more than a 'poor-man's Trygon' with a gimmick attached. I fear Trygons and Trygon Primes. Mawloc's just don't seem to do much, even with ruling their deep-strike in their favor.

Vepr
03-05-2010, 22:24
Obviously one of the most ambiguous rules ever. Lets say GW rules it you can deepstrike onto another squad without trying to scatter onto them. Would more people consider using the Mawloc?

Note: This is not a rules debate thread. Just curious if the FAQ will make things in the codex more usable

If they toss in a 2d6 MC pen and lack of cover save from the attack I am game. Right now between the vague rules and generally poor CC ability of the Mawloc it is just not as threatening as the Tyrgon. If lictors could use their homing ability the round they came in it would be another reason to take a mawloc and lictor...

Raxmei
03-05-2010, 22:34
Wow, a blast attack that can be fired twice or maybe even three times in a game if you're lucky.

Bestaltan
03-05-2010, 23:52
Actually, a blast attack that, if you fail to get out from under the template, means you're removed from play.

If the FAQ allow mawlocs to indeed deep strike onto units, get ready for howls of rage from mech guard players who like to castle. I've playtested a few games where the mawloc could do this, and the little beastie completely dismantles anybody trying to hide in a corner. My current record with him in one pop was a dead manticore (which got forced off the table), a dead hydra (which couldn't get out from under the template due to other vehicles), a dead medusa (same reason), a dead chimera (the S6 hit to its rear armor), and an immobilized chimera (same reason). Not bad for one blast template.

Bonzai
04-05-2010, 00:11
I've played against a player who tried them. I let him place the marker on my units. Over all it was still under whelming. You get a max of 3 blasts a game, which can still scatter. Just not enough bang for The buck. I will try them in planet strike though, where they can assault after.

sorienor
04-05-2010, 03:59
I've always let the mawloc's placement be on top of my models, and so far it's done almost nothing. Of the 3 times it's happened, twice it scattered into open space and the 3rd time it scattered off the troops and immobilized a rhino. Then all 3 times the mawloc died to furious charging blood angels that killed it before it got to swing.

The mawloc is a one-trick pony, and a trick that isn't very reliable either.

So I think the faq will rule that way, and I also think it will be faq'd so it can't push models off the table..the board edge is treated as impassible which the mawloc rule allows you go move around instead of being destroyed. heck if an Ork trukk can't ramshackle itself off the table then no opponent model should be able to either.

wazatdingder
04-05-2010, 04:15
I think, from what I've seen they Mawloc and Trygon are both pretty lame and disappointing. Carnifex is still the only HS that matters.

jspyd3rx
04-05-2010, 04:46
Try playing more than one. Also, experiment with 2d6 pen for vehicles. Trust me, combo DS Mawlocs x 3 is the most frustrating thing to play against. Any vehicle you want popped and the other Mawlocs to clean up the rest. Then Their is still the rest of the army to worry about.

ekiander
04-05-2010, 05:52
Try playing more than one. Also, experiment with 2d6 pen for vehicles. Trust me, combo DS Mawlocs x 3 is the most frustrating thing to play against. Any vehicle you want popped and the other Mawlocs to clean up the rest. Then Their is still the rest of the army to worry about.

If Terror from the deep was 2D6 that might make the Mawloc a bit more interesting. As other people have said, the Mawloc is pretty bad and my group allows deep striking on top of units. Max 3 blasts, with only one hitting on average and also a chance to possibly killing itself in the process == BAD.

Scythe
04-05-2010, 07:50
If the FAQ allow mawlocs to indeed deep strike onto units, get ready for howls of rage from mech guard players who like to castle.

As both a Guard and a Tyranid player, I can say I have little pity for those people.

I think, from what I've seen they Mawloc and Trygon are both pretty lame and disappointing. Carnifex is still the only HS that matters.

I think you got two units mixed up there. Take another look at the Carnifex and the Trygons profiles. The Trygon is superior in about every aspect.

xerxeshavelock
04-05-2010, 09:46
Assuming everyone accepts the ds thing (everyone locally does) I still think the Mawloc would need +1 attack to be optimal. Not that I wouldn't use it - but both the Mawloc and the Harpy could do with +1A to be as effective as I'd like

*SQUEE*
04-05-2010, 11:09
Even with an FAQ in his favor he is still only a gimmick bug. I prefer the Tyranofex in my HS slots.

ghoulio
04-05-2010, 14:13
I personally really like the Mawloc. I have used him in a bunch of games (always deepstriking onto people...like the rules intend) and in many cases it has been a game changer. My two best 'hits' were onto a squad of 17 raptors that were fighting my lone broodlord (they had all buy wiped out my stealer squad the round before) and I killed 12 of the 14 raptors under the template and my last game against Blood Angels I hit 2 razorbacks, a furioso dread and part of a missile launcher dev squad (he was turtling pretty good).

The main change I WISH they had would be just giving them two sets of scything talons. I mean...they freaking have them on the model so is it so much to ask? I think for being only 30pts less then a trygon and having significantly worse stats/abilities it shouldn't be an issue.

Absolutionis
04-05-2010, 14:19
Most people/groups (not to mention the rules) allow Mawloc Deep Striking onto units anyways. An FAQ won't really change anything aside from convincing the whiners by putting common sense and fair play into written word.

Draconian77
04-05-2010, 14:20
Everyone around here plays that the Mawlocs can Deep Strike on top of enemy units and it's still not considered to be any good for it's points cost.

If it could re-roll the scatter dice or if the Lictors Pheromone Trail rule was functional then perhaps it would be worth the asking price...

As an aside, how are people justifying giving the S6 Ap2 attack 2D6 Armour Penetration? It certainly isn't a close combat attack from a Monstrous Creature.

Thoras
04-05-2010, 17:08
Still a firm believer that the Mawloc should have got the Red Terror's swollow whole ability. Its got a huge mouth for pitties sake.

sliganian
04-05-2010, 17:13
Most people/groups (not to mention the rules) allow Mawloc Deep Striking onto units anyways. An FAQ won't really change anything aside from convincing the whiners by putting common sense and fair play into written word.

Yeah, that's what I don't get (not a Nid player so I haven't followed this one too closely).

The DS rules are very clear that you can place the model 'anywhere on the table'. Done and done. Now, if that happens to be over top of enemy models, then there could be Bad Things that happen to the unit.

However, (iirc), the Mawloc has a special rule to cover the specific case of landing on an enemy unit. So..... what is all the noise on this issue? :confused:

MystheDevourer
04-05-2010, 17:23

Than you my friend are behind on the times and if I could play my Tyrands against yours I would enjoy taking you apart piece by piece.

OT:

The store I game at allows the mawloc to DS where it wants and most people have not tried it out, it is underwhelming but the ability to kill terminators for free on turn 2 WHILE giving my opponet to shoot at something OTHER then my Devgaunts, Trvigon, Zoans and Hive Guard makes it useful to me.

Yeah, that's what I don't get (not a Nid player so I haven't followed this one too closely).

The DS rules are very clear that you can place the model 'anywhere on the table'. Done and done. Now, if that happens to be over top of enemy models, then there could be Bad Things that happen to the unit.

However, (iirc), the Mawloc has a special rule to cover the specific case of landing on an enemy unit. So..... what is all the noise on this issue? :confused:

The noise is on the fact of how Deep Striking works.

1) Roll for reserves
2) Place model on the table
3) Roll Scatter
4) If the model is within 1" of enemy units, immpasable terrain etc for for Deepstrike mishap.

The argument is on the order for the Mawloc's special rule. It is stupid and people are really just nitpicking it but they like to deem it as a way to force their "win" before the game starts. I enjoy making people eat their arguments it is fun.

mafty
04-05-2010, 20:15
Yes, lets keep off the rules debate please, this has been argued to death in rules forum. Just wanted to see if people find him useful or not. I can see it being a nice tactic. Turn 1 burrow, arrive turn 2 no reserves roll and cause some S6 Ap2 damage. Continue doing this until the game ends.

SPYDER68
04-05-2010, 20:17
I still wont use it if its faq'd either way.. the unit is bad for its cost.

Znail
05-05-2010, 01:38
Yes, lets keep off the rules debate please, this has been argued to death in rules forum. Just wanted to see if people find him useful or not. I can see it being a nice tactic. Turn 1 burrow, arrive turn 2 no reserves roll and cause some S6 Ap2 damage. Continue doing this until the game ends.

Obviously, if you are in assault range of some vehicle or other juicy target so may you do that instead of burrowing again. Its a rather reliable unit when it comes to speed. Blast at turn 2, assault at turn 3 or reburrow for another try. Even Fleet units are hard pressed to manage to do better then that and cant do it all over the table.

But the most important aspect of the Mawloc is that its one of the tools Tyranids got to dislodge enemies in cover. While there is quite a few of them so are most fairly impopular. Its somewhat disingenius to complain about the lack of grenades and then dissrespect any unit that can take care of those problems.

sorienor
05-05-2010, 04:05
The argument is on the order for the Mawloc's special rule. It is stupid and people are really just nitpicking it but they like to deem it as a way to force their "win" before the game starts. I enjoy making people eat their arguments it is fun.

It's attitudes like this that are full of fail.

Scythe
05-05-2010, 06:52
But the most important aspect of the Mawloc is that its one of the tools Tyranids got to dislodge enemies in cover. While there is quite a few of them so are most fairly impopular. Its somewhat disingenius to complain about the lack of grenades and then dissrespect any unit that can take care of those problems.

True. The max of 3 AP2 templates doesn't has that much impact, even more so as you are only likely to hit 1 time of those 3, the other 2 widely scattering of target. The scatter is a big problem really. It makes pushing enemies out of cover also very unreliable, so your plan can backfire spectaculary.

It would be less of a problem if you could normally infiltrate a Lictor instead of using his special deployment, or could use his abilities on the turn he arrives. Oh well...;)

hungry hungry hormagaunt
05-05-2010, 11:14
Yeah, the synergy between Mawlocs and Lictors would be a beautiful thing, if only Lictors weren't gimped by badly written rules.

Fanboy
05-05-2010, 14:40
Yep. Waiting patiently for this FAQ, both for the Mawloc, and many other 'issues'. Who knows when GW will release the FAQ for this codex (Tyranids)....................maybe tomorrow, 6th May 2010?........

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

MystheDevourer
05-05-2010, 19:48
It's attitudes like this that are full of fail.

I am sorry if that offends, honestly the first person who thught they could castrate my army by rule arguments with me got a rude awakening. I explain things simply and consicely. It is part of working for the US Navy, I wont take **** and I wont give **** unless provoked. I dont need to menace someone to prove my point I use simple logic that works wonderfully. This is why the league quardinator agreed to the house rules that got established. Now Tyranids are a balanced army that can wipe the floor with most anything IF you know what your doing.