PDA

View Full Version : My Misidentity in the Hobby

Maskedman5oh4
04-05-2010, 03:56
Hell fellow Warseers,

This realization has been a long time coming; I started playing Warhammer 40k in 2nd edition as a Space Marine player. When I started playing, I had no clue. I did not clean mold lines, I did not prime my figures, I painted my Marines with testors oil based paints...but it was 1995 and I was twelve. I painted Bjorn the Fellhanded in Blood Angels colors and tried for months to assemble the box of 30 beakies while always asking my opponents if could field a screamer-killer (the old model) alongside my marines and thud gunns and Imperial Rapiers.. Things have changed... I came back to the hobby in 1999 as a 16 year old playing Tyranids. This was the first army I completed painting, although it was 100% dry brushed (but it made me happy), and I have continued playing Tyranids until present.

I have always found painting an arduous but gratifying task; often time I have a hard time starting (at all), but once I get going, I tend to go on a streak. I have always found painting my larger Tyranids (Warriors, Raveners, Tyrants, oh My!) easier to get through, where the horse of tiny ones bogs me down. But I also do not like painting with an unpainted force; it is a pet-peeve.

In 2003, I started my first attempts at Warhammer Fantasy; I purchased a painted Vampire Counts army. At the time, the fact that it was painted was attractive, but I confess it was a marginable job. After that, I bought a half painted Warriors of Chaos army circa 2005. I believe the books were still all combined then and with was mainly a mortal force painted in the Khorne style. I have always been more drawn towards Tzeentch but still played this army to ge tthe rules under my belt.

I sold the dry brushed bugs in 2007 and have been putting together around 4000 pts of new bugs since, but I am thinning my paints, blending and layering. My Tzeentch Fantasy army got trashed recently (Plog Link (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253122)), but I picked them back up tonight I the painting has been effortless. I am not sure if the root of this lies in the fact that my army got trashed by a family member, or, as I suspect, I just enjoy painting fantasy more. I have always enjoyed fantasy novels and never read sci-fi until I picked up the Horus Heresy series recently. (alright, I have read some of the Dresden files)

I guess I am wondering should I have been playing fantasy from the get-go because I seem more drawn to the painting? I still will finish my nids, but I have begun to put together and Inquisition force in anticipation of the rumored new Codexes later this year in lieu of starting either Empire or Dark Elves in fastasy. Sorry for the lengthy post and I look forward to helpful responses... :eyebrows: :shifty:

nobsb
04-05-2010, 04:17
I don't know if either 40K is better or worse. They both have advantages. I enjoy painting both. They both have some really cool models and themes. That being said, I do get into painting my WHFB more and enjoy coming up with the themes. I say ride the streak you are on and if it runs it course go back to 40K.

Tenken
04-05-2010, 07:18
Depends. Do you like fantasy models more? That's really what you should ask yourself. Or at least an army as a whole.

orkz222
04-05-2010, 08:05
Take a break from 40k, thats what I did when I started playing during 3rd ed. Played fantasy since until recently when I start 40k again with my 10+ yrs old csm.

Osbad
04-05-2010, 09:51
If you like playing with a fully painted army, but aren't that keen on painting huge numbers of models, you could choose another system that is less demanding in that regard: such as Malifaux. Or Songs of Blades and Heroes.

ICLRK625
04-05-2010, 12:39
If you like playing with a fully painted army, but aren't that keen on painting huge numbers of models, you could choose another system that is less demanding in that regard: such as Malifaux. Or Songs of Blades and Heroes.

Malifaux is definitely a cool system with a cool theme, but I can speak from experience that it doesn't appeal to everyone, it's more than a bit creepy.

If you like painting Fantasy more than 40k, play Fantasy, neither is that great as a game when it comes down to it (there are certainly better), so go by who you play with, and what you like. If you like the theme of Fantasy, and have people you like playing with, the question answers itself.

Maskedman5oh4
04-05-2010, 15:56
It kind of weird for me; I like to play 40k alot; I don't know if my slow painting is because I have been painting'nids off and on for years or because there lack of detail. My newer Warriors of Chaos figures, namely the Chosen and Chaos Knights, are so so detailed- it breaks the monotony up of green carapace, pale skin, green carapace, pale skin...

Reinholt
04-05-2010, 16:09
It might just be the Tyranids; the have a high degree of self-similarity, perhaps higher than any army that is not Necrons, in fact.

On the flip side of the coin, Eldar probably have the lowest self-similarity in 40k, though arguably this could also be the case for demons. Either way, perhaps the issue is not the setting but the models.

It is a similar case to dwarves for fantasy. Nothing but beards and metal!

Ancre
05-05-2010, 20:12
I think it goes down to the models. I haven't been looking at wh40k for a while, but GW, for all the bad things they have, do tend to do detailed models ; maybe you'd like to paint something else than nids ?

It is a similar case to dwarves for fantasy. Nothing but beards and metal!

... I should try dwarves, that's what I like most to paint ! :D Too bad they're around the exact opposite of what I'm attracted to in terms of gameplay. Still, maybe a little force ...