PDA

View Full Version : Quick Spear detachment Question

Harbringerxv8
05-05-2010, 01:21
So, a local redshirt has mentioned that if an Empire spear detachment countercharges, they get to fight with two ranks (assuming the unit is ten strong) when it hits the enemy flank. His reasoning for this is that the spear unit is not 'charging' but 'counter-charging.'

Now, the rulebook states that if a unit with spears moves in that turn, then it uses one less rank than normally available, but the redshirt is insistent. Am I missing something, or is he right?

soots
05-05-2010, 01:23
red shirt fail.

Its still a charge.

On another note, why take spearmen detachment? Theyre the worst state troop for detachments imo.

Take either free company or swordsmen.

Harbringerxv8
05-05-2010, 01:28
Not my army, not my decision lol. Is there any rulebook citation I could use other than the one I just mentioned?

Zaustus
05-05-2010, 02:03
The redshirt was completely wrong. If he argues with you, here's the reference to shut him up:

Empire army book, p.39, Countercharge: "...the detachment can declare a normal charge against the enemy." (emphasis mine)

It's a normal charge, thus all normal conditions of a charge are in effect. Since models with spears fight in a single rank on the turn they charge, a spearmen detachment countercharging only fights in one rank.

Harbringerxv8
05-05-2010, 02:26
Thanks a bunch, guys.

stripsteak
05-05-2010, 04:22
The spear fighting in one less rank than full is a restriction based on the unit moving, like you mentioned. if it charged or not, or how it charged is irrelevant. the question to ask is did the unit move this turn.

Zaustus
05-05-2010, 04:28
That's a good point stripsteak. So there you go, two reasons why the redshirt was wrong. :p

Kalandros
05-05-2010, 08:41
the third reason being:

He's a redshirt.

they're never right.