PDA

View Full Version : Echo Thread: I have 200 dollars, hwo should I spend it?

Bathawk
05-05-2010, 05:18
Hey all saw a thread where a guy's wife gave him 100 bucks to spend. A few comments were about showing his wife how he appreciated the gift

Now the 200 bucks I have is all mine (tax refund) and my birthday is next week. I have a 1750 space marine 95% completely painted And was debating getting some scenrey (ut since I have to drive 20 minutes to play with anyone seems like I would be buying it for my desk

new miniatures....mainly I would want to get somethign that is fun to paint and looks good on the countertop (not Orks, just not my thing)

Wanting to hold off on getting anything fantasy until the new hardback comes out

Was thinking forgeworld, but shipping charges and a 4.5% conversion fee really reduces what I can buy

thoughts?

Bathawk
05-05-2010, 05:46
and apologize for the ypo in the the title, don't think I can change it

Lothlanathorian
05-05-2010, 06:51
Give your money to me :D

If you don't want to buy Orks or start anything yet for WHFB, I would recommend picking up a Space Marine unit or three you don't already have to beef up your current army. Buy something you don't know if you'd ever use and then use it. You never know, you might like it.

Bathawk
05-05-2010, 06:56
well I had thought about a Predator Annihilator (my heavy infantry army is lacking in the anti-tank department)...but that's only, what? 50 bucks?

Ozybonza
05-05-2010, 07:24
While not a specific purchase, if your marines are a generic, DIY chapter you could buy some stuff from the BA or SW kits, then field them as one of those chapters succesors when you feel like it. a Baal pred, some assaults squads or wolf guard for example.

bigcheese76
05-05-2010, 07:24
If you want something really nice to paint, perhaps you should go for a bit of Inquisition from either book. Have a look at the allies system and then you could engineer it so the small inquisition army can also join your marines in larger games.

Szalik
05-05-2010, 07:27
Making a list of what you already have for your SM may help us show You what you may need.

My idea would be adding something to be able to field 2000 pts of marines and then getting some scenery.

Lothlanathorian
05-05-2010, 07:29
Buy a 2 Predators so you can configure them differently, a Land Raider (you know you want one) and a Vindicator. Use an online bitz store to order appropriate chapter doors. The Bitz Barn (www.bitzbarn.com) has Forgeworld stuff without the overseas shipping to deal with and all that if you are on the American side of the Atlantic Pond.

Bathawk
05-05-2010, 08:16
Don't have my list handy, but my current 1750pt army is

45 AoBR tactical marines
5 AoBR Terminators
5 Vanguard veterans
Jump Pack Champlain
terminator Librarian
Rhino
Land Raider Redeemer

I was planning on getting 2 of each kind of Predator, 2 land speeder Typhoons, and a 10x assault marines, a 5 man scout squad, an extra rhino and an Ironclad dreadnought

Hypaspist
05-05-2010, 08:25
I was planning on getting 2 of each kind of Predator, 2 land speeder Typhoons, and a 10x assault marines, a 5 man scout squad, an extra rhino and an Ironclad dreadnought

This sound slike a good list :D

I'd (personally) be sorely tempted by those new wingéd Blood Angels...(instead of bog standard assault marines) but thats just me :shifty:

sprugly
05-05-2010, 12:38
if you plan to buy a preditor, i suggest buyinmg some magnets to. I have 3 preds fully magnetised and love being able to pick whatever configuration i need.

other than that, how about a couple of scout boxes for some outflanking fun?

sprugly

marv335
05-05-2010, 12:52
Beer and Hookers.

Or,
how about using it to make a games table?

Mart007
05-05-2010, 13:00

One of the best things you could do! And you would have enough to do that and buy some GW scenery...

Szalik
05-05-2010, 16:27
Don't have my list handy, but my current 1750pt army is

45 AoBR tactical marines
5 AoBR Terminators
5 Vanguard veterans
Jump Pack Champlain
terminator Librarian
Rhino
Land Raider Redeemer

Ok so You have enough tactical squads...but more or less all of these guys look the same and only 10 of them can go in a rhino. Your chaplain has a company of Vanguards and Libra with Termies. And a Redeemer.

You need something to be good against vehicles and to look good on the table...You need Land speeders. Yup, they look decent, they can have krak missiles and multi melta for vechicle hunting or frag missiles for umm "crowd control". Using magnets on the weapons will reduce costs and make transport easier. So yeah buy two of them, some magnets ( round 3x1mm for interchangeable weapon options both on troops and smaller vehicles are ok) and a drill to make holes for magnets. The predators are good too, because you can still use them as rhinos if needed. Two with magnetised weapon options should be enough. Put them in the second place on the list to buy.

Bathawk
06-05-2010, 04:44
tried the magnet thing with the redeemer, but couldn't find a magnet thing enough or a recess deep enough to place the magnets, so ended gluing the flamestorm cannons on

And yeah when I was trying to put my army together on the cheap (all the tacticals after the first 10 were donated to me), I was trying to buy as few as apossible

one tac squad in the rhino
one tac squad in the Redeemer
one tac squad with the Librarian (gateway to infinity)
vanguards and chaplain can jump pack-it
Terminators deep strike
remaining tac squad "combat squads" with the missile launchers staying behind as fire support, and the flamer/sergeants "hunting" enemies that get too close

But you recommentd the missile launchers over the assault cannon?

Bathawk
06-05-2010, 04:46
Beer and Hookers.

Or,

One of the best things you could do! And you would have enough to do that and buy some GW scenery...

The original plan was to buy one of those GW "board in a bag" that cost about 200, plus a scenery paint kit, and the Imperial Strongpoint set

But since I live thirty minutes from the games store where I play, the whole thing would essentiayl be a big diorama for me to store my minis on

carlisimo
06-05-2010, 05:49
I have a 1750 space marine 95% completely painted...

Buy paint for the other 5%. :)

j/k. Consider looking at model train shops for scenery. You'll save money, so maybe you can afford a large building or fort set from GW.

Bathawk
06-05-2010, 06:34
Wouldn't mind the Fortress of Redemption, but that's sold out right?
the other 5% is nitcpicky stuff, drawing the giant "tactical arrow" on the back of the thino, figureing out how much color to put on the "missile marines" and the flamestorm cannons, and then getting some transfers so I can put the eagles on th shoulder pads...oh and need some sand and pvc glue for the bases

ok 15%

Mart007
06-05-2010, 08:09
But since I live thirty minutes from the games store where I play, the whole thing would essentiayl be a big diorama for me to store my minis on

Pretty much what my board is! lol I love it...

Tho I think from my experiance of friends having that board is making one out of ply or mdf.... but they are cool all the same...

Grand Master Raziel
06-05-2010, 12:43
@Bathawk: Do a Google search for rare earth magnets. You should find plenty of sights that can sell you those things. There's a range of sizes, and they're plenty strong enough.

Regarding what to do with that money burning a hole in your pocket, my first suggestion would be to buy 3 more Rhinos. I think you'll notice your Tac Marines are a lot more effective when they have a ride. Though, I will admit, you do seem to have a pretty good plan for shuffling them around. Maybe you could live with 2 Rhinos, let another squad continue riding in the Redeemer, and have your Libby link up with your Termies, so you can Gate them at need. Or, maybe use a different power - there's plenty of good ones to choose from.

Really, the upside to Codex: Space Marines is that there's very little in the dex that stinks outright. You could practically choose from units you don't already have at random and not be too sorry.

After that...hmm. Land Speeders, yes. Predators, yes. These are both good ideas. The Speeders are good because they're fast and good at killing things, the Preds good because having them will make your Redeemer stick out less as the only target for all your opponent's good long-range anti-armor weapons (having more Rhinos will help with that, too). I'm also inclined to suggest getting a couple of Assault Squad box sets, on the theory that a 10-strong Assault Squad is better to have than a 5-strong Vanguard Squad. I'm also inclined to suggest getting some new sergeants for your AoBR Marines. I'm a big believer in having a power fist in every squad. I don't think you can get sergeants in blisters these days, but if you bought, say, a Tac Squad box set, you could bitz-order some power fists and make your own.

Another thought: you have 5 Tac Marines that, presumably, aren't really doing you much good. You could get a Devastator Squad box set and use the extra Tac boys to fill it out to 10-strong. If you went that route, I'd assemble then with 2 plasma cannons, a ML and a lascannon, and swap out a couple of your AoBR MLs for the plasma cannons, so you have the PCs in the Tacs and a Dev Squad with 3 MLs and a lascannon.

Bathawk
12-05-2010, 03:38
final report; got a Predator, Land Speeder, Assault Marine, Scout, Iron Clad dreadnought, and the battle missions book

(store owner even threw in 20 bucks of modeling supplies on acct. of my B-day)

Kaan
12-05-2010, 03:52
Congrats and Happy Birthday!

If you had a few $$$ left over, you might try purchasing some bits so you can swap out the sponsons or turret gun. Just a thought.

ChaosVC
12-05-2010, 04:09
Mail me the cash, I will had it examined and give you proper advice on money management after a detail reseach.