PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Marines (cheap)

Vermillion616
05-05-2010, 09:38
Does anyone know where i can get hold of Chaos Space Marines cheaply?
i mainly just want them to paint for now possibly building up to an army... i cant buy online btw as i dont use pay pal....

Corpse
05-05-2010, 09:46
Assault on black reach, trade what you don't want for more stuff to anyone who is willing.

Finnith
05-05-2010, 10:26
Your local version of the ad-mag or local paper may help, a friend of mine buys stuff in bulk from random people then fixes it up and sells it on ebay. He generally doesnt make much but can keep the bits/units he needs. Only issue is people wont have a clue what they are selling you other than "warhammers". Charity shops are also worth having a look at as you never know what you might find in them.

When you say you cant buy online, do you mean ebay since thats the only place I can think of that is often pay pal only? Theres plenty of places online who do 10%-20% off GW prices with free postage which you can usually pay with credit/debit cards or visa electron cards if your under 18.

Vermillion616
05-05-2010, 11:13
i never thought of looking in the paper ill try that thanks Finnith =)

Erwos
05-05-2010, 12:23
Craigslist is your friend. I saw a guy just the other day who was locally selling a fairly impressive CSM army for $200.

Of course, the downside to "cheap" is that it generally means "used", and you're going to be doing some fairly laborious paint stripping. Simple Green is your friend.

Finn
05-05-2010, 12:34
If 20% off retail is cheap enough, you can order by phone from warstore, with a flat shipping charge of 5.95 or something. They'll accept debit/credit cards as far as I know. Aside from that, all these suggestions are great.

Another idea is to perhaps post a flyer on your LGS's bulletin board if they've got one. State that you're looking for (used) Chaos models that perhaps somebody doesn't want anymore.

Gearhead
05-05-2010, 18:46
Of course, the downside to "cheap" is that it generally means "used", and you're going to be doing some fairly laborious paint stripping. Simple Green is your friend.

I use Easy-Off, works great and is applied like spry paint. Spray it, let it set for a bit, run it under warm water and hit it with a toothbrush. I've gotten several squads of used marines looking nice this way. It removes the basecoat too, if that's what you're after.

Wear gloves though; It's oven cleaner, after all.

Erwos
05-05-2010, 19:23
I use Easy-Off, works great and is applied like spry paint. Spray it, let it set for a bit, run it under warm water and hit it with a toothbrush. I've gotten several squads of used marines looking nice this way. It removes the basecoat too, if that's what you're after.

Wear gloves though; It's oven cleaner, after all.
Doesn't that melt plastics, though? Not to mention that Simple Green is WAY better for the environment than oven cleaner.

Raven1
05-05-2010, 19:26
Assault on black reach, trade what you don't want for more stuff to anyone who is willing.
Did you even read what he was asking?

Getting marines on the cheap, I like the Warstore 20% discount on all GW products (except forgeworld) and bitz.

Gearhead
06-05-2010, 00:59
Doesn't that melt plastics, though? Not to mention that Simple Green is WAY better for the environment than oven cleaner.

Nein; mine came out clear as day, no loss of detail whatsoever. Stripped an old test marine to be sure; then stripped a razorback, a squad (slow process, one at a time), and a Dread. They're fine.

Simple green probably is better for the enviroment though, though I use Pine-Sol on metals just due to the amount of the stuff I have around. The smell goes away, so no worries there.

OP: Also depends on which marines. Rubrics and Noise Marines are kind of hard to come by, Khorne and the standard are plastic. Nurgle can be made from nearly anything with enough greenstuff.

jsullivanlaw
06-05-2010, 20:29

This is 40k, why care about the environment of one planet, there are billions more... Seriously though, Easy Off oven cleaner will NOT melt plastics. I've had horrible luck with paint stripping methods but easy off didn't damage models after 3 applications. (Took 3 applications to strip them though, but at least it worked and didnt destroy the models unlike castor super clean and brake fluid do) I haven't tried simple green yet but i'm guessing it won't work well. How effective are most environmentally friendly chemicals? Not very, far too weak.

Erwos
06-05-2010, 20:58
I haven't tried simple green yet but i'm guessing it won't work well. How effective are most environmentally friendly chemicals? Not very, far too weak.
So, basically, you have no idea what you're talking about. Simple Green works damned well, and I say this as someone who's tried Pinesol before. Google it if you don't believe me. I stripped a dread and a terminator squad in a couple hours with it, and I think it could have been faster if I hadn't been lazy with the toothbrush.

06-05-2010, 21:01
I've been using Simple Green to strip some old Chaos models with very globby paint jobs, it works wonders.

Erwos
06-05-2010, 21:10
I've been using Simple Green to strip some old Chaos models with very globby paint jobs, it works wonders.
Plus, I found it really loosened up some glue.