PDA

View Full Version : How much do you think 8ed will change the game?

antin3
05-05-2010, 13:09
From all of the rumors that I have read, (I am sure I am missing something) it would seem that 8ed is looking like it will bring about some major changes. What do you think, based on rumors, do you see that could be a possibility?
I am wondering if the new rule book is going to be more invaluable to the game.
By that I mean, could GW possibly going the route taken with LoTR where, if I am not mistaken, the rulebook contains all you need to fight any battle with any army. The stats and weapon options are available there, sort of a ravening hordes list.
I probably put too much thought into this but hey when your at work and your bored you think about these things, right?
I was thinking about the rumored 500+ page rule book, say it does have the 50+ magic items and a RH type army llist for all of the armies. This mighty tome is probably going to cost a chunk of change initially, but would GW make money by having everyone wanting to buy the main rulebook and charging $75.00 for it and then release electronic errata and FAQ's that would keep all armies consistant?
This would almost eliminate the need for Army books which can't be cheap to produce.
Anyway just an idea I had.

bigcheese76
05-05-2010, 13:16
I think with the new edition alot of the stuff we are used to will change quite alot. Overall I think the rules set will become simpler so the game will appeal to a wider age range.

In terms of the Army Books coming together as once, Im not sure as GW probably make a fair bit of money on selling all the codexes individually so I cant really see that changing although I really dont know what the extra pages rumoured to be in the new book will include.

The SkaerKrow
05-05-2010, 13:23
I think that WHFB 8e will resemble 7e about as much as Connect Four resembles Checkers. It's going to be an entirely different game, top to bottom.

Lord Khabal
05-05-2010, 14:00
I doubt that they will end printing army books... So I dont think they will do a ravening hordes type list.

Lordsaradain
05-05-2010, 15:28
How much do you think 8ed will change the game?

If the current rumours are true... I think alot! :P

Charistoph
06-05-2010, 05:04
I doubt that they will end printing army books... So I dont think they will do a ravening hordes type list.

Especially when you consider that their main competitor in Privateer Press is abandoning their old method to match GW's practice. It would be a step backwards.

Let's just hope they don't pull a 40K 3rd Edition on us.

Alathir
06-05-2010, 05:14
I think it will change alot; and every of single change that I've seen rumored so far, I think is 100% making a better WFB game.

big squig
06-05-2010, 05:24
I'm expecting some pretty hefty changes. I'm expecting a simpler, better written, and and more fun game.

06-05-2010, 07:16
I'm expecting some pretty hefty changes. I'm expecting a simpler, better written, and and more fun game.

All that and more infantry models in larger blocks. But I like blocks of core troops being "core" and everything else being supplemental instead of the other way round.

Desert Rain
06-05-2010, 07:24
I'm expecting big changes and generally in a good way.

Tarax
06-05-2010, 08:35
Although I expect a lot of changes, I also doubt they will not release any new Army Books. Also, in the new starter set will (probably) be a small rulebook, with just the rules. If all the army lists will change everyone will NEED to buy the BIG rulebook. I doubt very much this will happen.

Whitehorn
06-05-2010, 08:50
Thousands of people will have quit before we know the truth of 8th edition. Probably for the best if they rest their hopes and prayers on rumours.

antin3
06-05-2010, 13:19
Yeah, I am not so sure about the army book thing, it was just an idea to throw out there. I am just excited about 8ed. I haven't played fantasy in a long time and it's hard to even find opponents right now. I really hope that this edition is as grat as it is sounding so far. (I realize it is all rumors). I would love to see fantasy pick back up around here.

BigbyWolf
06-05-2010, 14:22
Thousands of people will have quit before we know the truth of 8th edition. Probably for the best if they rest their hopes and prayers on rumours.

I hope so...means the rest of us will be able to pick up a few nice bargains on Ebay!

Y'he Sha'is
06-05-2010, 15:07
It seems to me that the game is fundamentally changing.

The biggest changes to me seem to be things like random charge lengths (or at least with the dice involved) and fluidity of movement. These two changes seem to make the game less of a strategic 'chess-match', and more of a tactical battle.

Is this good or bad? I don't know, but taken as a whole it might be decent. However, it definately fundamentally changes the game, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

ghostline
06-05-2010, 15:33
Im not too hot on the whole fluidity of movement thing.

The whole Marching troops DnC style IS what makes warhammer unique.

Lord Kalhadron
06-05-2010, 16:29
Man, i really like everything I hear about the new ed.

I started playing when ed 6 was new and a big change to the rules will be great! Just for the change.

Hite
06-05-2010, 17:35
I'm not sure how things will change but our game store is having an impromptu 8th edition rumor tournament this Sat. so I guess I will find out. I hope it is fun.

SamVimes
06-05-2010, 19:01
Im not too hot on the whole fluidity of movement thing.

The whole Marching troops DnC style IS what makes warhammer unique.

Ignoring the literally dozens of games that use a similar movement system :rolleyes:

Perhaps you mean unique for the big 3 GW systems?

pointyteeth
06-05-2010, 19:39
I personally hope they don't do another ravening hordes book. Yes, it was absolutely necessary last time due to the huge restructuring of army selection, but the lists were so vanilla that my group just stopped playing until there were some actual army books out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes we get.