PDA

View Full Version : My Arrows Shall Blot Out the Sun!

WoodElfGeneral
05-05-2010, 21:37
Here is a list I plan to use for my next game against Warriors of Chaos.

Lords

Wood Elf Highborn of the Wild Rider Kindred on a Great Stag with the Amarathine Brooch, the Spear of Twilight, and the Helm of the Hunt

Heroes

Wood Elf Noble of the Wild Rider Kindred on a Great Stag with the Oaken Armour

Core Choices

10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard

Special Choices

5 Wild Riders with a champion, standard bearer, and the Banner of Zenith (the Lord will be in this unit)
5 Wild Riders with a champion and a standard bearer (the noble will be in this unit)
3 Warhawk Riders
3 Warhawk Riders

Rare Choices

5 Waywatchers with a Shadow Sentinel
5 Waywatchers with a Shadow Sentinel

My Strategy

1) Send the Warhawks out to march block
2) Put the Wild Riders on each side of my archer line
3) Use Waywatchers to try and pick off enemy characters
4) Since the enemy will be march blocked, sit back and shoot
5) Whatever makes it through gets charged by Wild riders

I am aware that there is no no magic, but my opponent only takes a single sorcerer and i will probably be able to pick him off with the Waywatchers or Warhawks.

Comments are appreciated

Thank You
-Wood Elf General:)

Malorian
05-05-2010, 22:14
Charging WoC, even with wild riders and moose riding characters, doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'd turn those combat characters into shooty ones, the glade guard into glade riders and just run circles around him.

D'Haran
05-05-2010, 22:24
Seems you built this list to play against a specific opponent, that said I'd assume it's good against his per usual build. However for friendly or competitive play I wouldn't bother with this list. It's too monotone for my taste and in some areas woefully lacking.

sssk
05-05-2010, 22:37
I know it's a common thought about wood elves, but this could turn out to be a very boring battle. You're probably quite likely to win (unless the opponent brings a whole magical battery), but with them unable to march it's going to be a bit of a turkey shoot, and not really terribly interesting.

This is why my wood elves have enough shooting to get rid of the support units, and weaken main units a bit, but I use lots of wardancers and the like to ensure that I have to get stuck in, just so that there's something for the opponent to do.

On a different note, where are the annoyances of netlings? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe WoC have to issue challenges. Surely that lends itself to an annoyance of netlings character.

WoodElfGeneral
05-05-2010, 22:55
I believe that they only have to issue a challenge if they are khorne but my friends list is of slaanesh and nurgle units.

I have never beaten my friends army before, partially because i think he lies about some of his rules, but this army should be able to beat him easily because i am now aware that he cheated. He may not of known, but whatever. I just want to turn his army into a pincushion for revenge and 66 shots per shooting phase will probably achieve that rather nicely.

Not the friendliest thing to do. but it is time for some payback.:mad:

Malorian
05-05-2010, 22:57
Nope, all characters MUST issue challenges.

WoodElfGeneral
05-05-2010, 23:01
ok. i will put annoyance of nettlings on the highborn somehow.

Pooky
06-05-2010, 08:24
Part of me wants to take a Chaos army and reply to the thread topic "Then we shall fight in the shade!" ^_^

Sappysid101
06-05-2010, 17:12
Part of me wants to take a Chaos army and reply to the thread topic "Then we shall fight in the shade!" ^_^

Some sort of magic gunline? O.o

Would be real funny though if your mate saw this list before your game then went on to tailor against it. Plus you should sort out his cheating, ruins the game and tbh chaos hardly need to cheat.

Deglosh
06-05-2010, 17:16
Pooky: right on, hehehehe
And yes i feel this is a somewhat boring and monotone army aswell.
Though the first thing i reacted on was the two characters on great stags. An orc bigboss could wack one of those for sure. And with the name you gave the thread, they should be archers tbh =)

Just to end things of. You want revenge and then shuv it up his face? If i were that guy after that, i would never play you again, just from sheer lack of sportsmanship.

AM1640
06-05-2010, 17:58
I also play a very shooty wood elf list. It is not bland or monotone and forces the enemy to consider new tactics rather than just run across the field and bump into hand to hand.
The waywatchers can only pick off characters that are outside of units, otherwise you must close to within 15 inches to get the killing blow effect and make the unit effective.
Definately use the warhawks to marchblock and attack any units of 5 marauder horseriders. The warhawks have 2 S4 attacks on the charge. You can also position them directly behind the enemy units and when the enemy panics and runs through them the entire enemy unit is destroyed.
I went with shooting characters to include the Hail of Doom arrow, starfire arrows, bow of loren & arcane bodkins, pagent of shrikes, and sometimes the hunter's talon.
You must try to get a hill in your deployment zone so that you can shoot in 2 ranks from some of the units otherwise it becomes too wide to concentrate all of your shooting on 1 enemy unit. You must concentrate fire to win.
You can also use the terrain to your advantage and make the enemy walk through or around trees. You may want to include a unit of Glade riders for misdirecting enemy units, march blocking, drawing enemy units in to the trees by fleeing from charges, etc.

WoodElfGeneral
06-05-2010, 22:00
Deglash: I live in a small town, we are like the only ones who play warhammer. That we know of at least, so i am not worried about him not wanting to play. Secondly, he is crazy competitive so he will see this as an interesting challenge, and now i can call him on anything he tries to lie/cheat about.

Honestly, i only want opinions on the list, not my reason for being a jerk about revenge.

Pooky: That would be funny;)

Jericho
06-05-2010, 22:29
I think the magic items might be a bit screwy on the Wild Rider characters. The issue with this kindred is that it restricts you to taking magic light armor and spears. I don't think you can take any of the other goodies, except maybe Sprites.

Definitely double check your army book, I'm at work so I can't do it right now I'm afraid.

Anyway I'd strongly advise Alter Kindred instead of Wild Riders. Same movement, can take great weapons, shields etc., and no restrictions on their magic item compliment. Plus you can take a Hail of Doom Arrow to help focus fire on one target when you need it.

Pooky
07-05-2010, 02:59
Some sort of magic gunline? O.o

No no, just quoting from the movie 300...

Persian: A thousand nations of the Persian empire descend upon you. Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Stelios: Then we will fight in the shade.

I guessed that Chaos Warriors were close to a Spartan soldier in the WH world ^_^

limkopi
07-05-2010, 03:38
You should really go with Alter Kindred, Bow of Loren + Arcane Bodkins for the lord for a whooping 5 S3 shots with no Armour Save. And another Alter Noble with Hail of Doom + Helm of the hunt + Great Weapon. That way you can really shoot his army to bits.

Jericho
07-05-2010, 07:22
And who would be general? :p

I was just gonna suggest the Machine Gun Alter Highborn to shred heavy infantry/knights. 2/turn adds up fast when they're 40+ points each. He's no slouch either in combat with at least 5A and probably a great weapon for S6. 6A with Helm of the Hunt if you have points for it, although a ward save might be a better idea. Or Amber Pendant, I love that one. You charged with I10 and ASF? I don't care, strike dead last please :evilgrin: Have him go first (shouldn't be hard with an 18" charge range) and life is good against most targets ... a fully equipped Chaos Lord might be able to shrug it all off but most people don't take one!

Re: Wild Rider Kindred I was a bit off, you can only take magical spears or light armor from the weapon/armor categories but you're free to take talismans and sprites etc. freely. Still, no Helm of the Hunt for a Wild Rider (which is stupid!!) but you are free to put it on an Alter.

limkopi
07-05-2010, 14:59
A third noble or a singer can be general.

Roarschach
07-05-2010, 15:13
Just move some woods and make some of his knights move half speed while marchblocked. If not for the winning, for the trolling!

WoodElfGeneral
07-05-2010, 20:57
Re: Wild Rider Kindred I was a bit off, you can only take magical spears or light armor from the weapon/armor categories but you're free to take talismans and sprites etc. freely. Still, no Helm of the Hunt for a Wild Rider (which is stupid!!) but you are free to put it on an Alter.

Why can't i take the helm of the hunt on the highborn. He would also be the general.

The reason i took combat characters was so that i would have at least a little bit of combat ability. They aren't great choices but i thought i would need something to protect my line.:confused: