PDA

View Full Version : FOrge World dreadnought

clarkey1991
05-05-2010, 21:40
hey guys

ive heard some things about how forge world products can arrive at your house in a rather bad state. The problem seems to get worse the larger the model. anyway because of the correlation i thought it would be a good idea to get a model of the more acceptable size.

So i was thinking of getting the ultramarines forge world dread, and what i was really wanting to know, if anyone has bought on of these models and a) has it arrived in one piece and b) is it worth the 40 you spend on it

responses would be appreciated

kind regards

clarkey

AndrewGPaul
05-05-2010, 22:08
Everything I've ordered from Forgeworld has bee intact. In the case of the Dreadnought, it's made of reasonably chunky bits (with the possible exception of the banner pole. I don't see it being a problem.

As to value for money? You're the only person who can decide that.

Capt_Ithuriel
05-05-2010, 22:48
I've had good luck in shipping from forgeworld to CA.

as for value, I'd be hard pressed to purchase an ultramarine dred from them, since the "base" dreds are all pretty much ultramarine dreds by default.
I find things such as Rhino/LR doors and term shoulder pads to be better "value" first, but if you've got an extra 40 quid (plus the cost of arms) burning a hole in your pocket, pick one up, they are a mighty fine lookin' model.

J

The Orange
06-05-2010, 05:49
I think it's simply that FW just has some quality control issues. Bigger kits = more parts = more likely to get something bad. But your not necessarily safer by ordering something smaller. I ordered a Tau tank commander (1 piece) and it was horribly miscast. FW however has great customer service. Just order something and if you get any dud pieces let them know so they can send you a replacement.

Ironmonger
06-05-2010, 06:13
Always been pleased, never been disappointed. I've ordered everything from FW in size short of a titan, and many places around the world, and have never had a miscast or a broken piece.

DoomedToRepeatIt
06-05-2010, 07:58
I'm the proud owner of many FW projects, including an Avatar, two Mk IV dreads, an Alpha Legion dread, two Nightwings, and more Chaper-specific icon packs and vehicle doors than I can shake a stick at. None of it has ever come in missing parts, miscast, or generally just jacked up.

Just beware that resin can be brittle. My Avatar is currently in a box because his sword snapped in half.

grissom2006
06-05-2010, 11:05
Had warpage bubbles no breakages what so ever had parts placed in the incorrect bag to which FW corrected promptly and hassle free. Big or small items off FW can all run the same risk of a problem happening in the casting. I've 4 titans not a single issue with one of them known others to have one FW sorts it out every time though. FW isn't the only resin model maker though and they certainly aren't the only ones to end with poor quality items sent out at times. FW has a huge plus against those other places in my book though as FW actually corrects it many other's i've dealt with get me no where except out of pocket.

Bloodknight
06-05-2010, 11:11
I own a couple of the Khorne dreads, and they are pretty good. IMHO worth the money.

What I don't like are the vehicle doors. I've not once got one that actually fits, they're far too small.

goof1972
06-05-2010, 12:01
I purchase many FW products and, from my experience, 10% of them is either miscast of warped. But FW comes with excellent client service and will always replace defective parts...just make sure you review it when you get it.

In regards to warping....that's part of modelling with resin. I had 2 FW Leman Russ chassis that was warped. I had to use a hair dryer and lots of bending to get it back into shape. But I'm very satisfied with the end result!

If you're in love with the FW product, I say take the dip and buy one. Any miscast or warping you'll be able to handle.