PDA

View Full Version : Dozer Blades the new Extra Armor?

Grand Master Raziel
06-05-2010, 13:00
So, lately I've been thinking about slapping dozer blades on all my tanks - or at least, on all my Rhinos. DBs are cheap, and provide a really tangible benefit - they virtually eliminate any possibility of your vehicles getting hung up in terrain. It would be nice to be able to crash my vehicles through any kind of terrain, secure in the knowledge that getting stuck is exceedingly unlikely. DBs are not dissimiliar to the old Extra Armor, in that it's a cheap upgrade that keeps your vehicle going under adverse conditions. So, what do you guys think? And why do you think we aren't seeing this upgrade all the time?

slayerofmen
06-05-2010, 13:18
while i would never say its a WASTE of points it is still an option i'll skip over as the boards i play on normally have a space for vehicles to move around without having to plough through a building

also poll not working?

dragonet111
06-05-2010, 13:39
I like to have it because I never know what's going to happen, maybe I will want to cross through a wood or whatever so the dozer blade is nice. But if I'm low on the points I let the blade at home.

RoguePariah
06-05-2010, 14:17
while i would never say its a WASTE of points it is still an option i'll skip over as the boards i play on normally have a space for vehicles to move around without having to plough through a building

This. ^
The usefulness of dozer-blades depends greatly on the kind of boards you normally play on. I always take them because my groups gaming board inevitably ends up cluttered with enough terrain to choke a hippo.

Anyway, I think a lot of people don't take them because they would rather take something they "know" will be useful rather than something that "might" be useful depending on the board. Besides, a 1/6 chance of getting immobilized is a pretty rare event unless your crossing terrain with several vehicles at a time.

Lord Cook
06-05-2010, 14:37
I'd consider dozer blades on very short range tanks such as a Bane Wolf, but realistically the cost is just too high for your typical vehicle like a Chimera or Rhino.

Noserenda
06-05-2010, 14:43
Yeah those points add up across an army, and I can think of only 1 occasion off hand where a dozer blade would have been a lifesaver, and dozens where it wasnt that important. More killing power/troops are usually a better investment.

SPYDER68
06-05-2010, 14:43
i run 10 tanks in my 1850 Blood angels.. 50 pts goes a long ways instead of dozer blades

wilsonian
06-05-2010, 14:44
Depends if your playing normal 40k or COD. if it's the later I'd strongly recommend them. :)

primarch16
06-05-2010, 14:46
Though from a different perspective, with dozerblades you can basically ignore the worries of cover, but dont forget that gives you a cover save too.

Morty
06-05-2010, 14:48
Well I would Say That There a FAntastic Upgrade as Without them there is a veryy goodchance that that assulting transport or tank will grind to a halt an inche short of the target.

Joewrightgm
06-05-2010, 15:35
As an ork player, we don't have 'dozer blades' per se, but we have great big ole reinforced rams and deff rollas.

For the Deff rolla, if you plan the wagon to get close to the enemy I always go for a rolla. If the wagon is playing more of a traditional "I throw dis leva, and da gun goes bang! hur hur hur . . . " type role, I go for a reinforced ram.

A it looks good and B, being able to plough into trees and ruins to squat for ranged fire is a nice bonus.

Znail
06-05-2010, 16:12
I dont see the point in having it on every tank, but can be quite usefull on a few. Lets say that you have 4 Rhinos, then its quite unlikely that all 4 of them will need to go through terrain in a game. As you are able to deploy them as you wish so can you place wichever one you have DB where you expect to need it.

Vaktathi
06-05-2010, 16:17
Normally I'd say they aren't a bad investment, but as Cruddace decided 10pts was somehow a good idea for the IG book, I haven't used them in many moons.

jsullivanlaw
06-05-2010, 16:51
Not sure about the loyalist ones, but Chaos Marine dozer blades only allow you to reroll if you go 6 or less inches. My transports want to move faster so dozer blades only go on tanks that i want to shoot with.

RCgothic
06-05-2010, 16:54
At 5pts I consider them on my SM vehicles, but they are by no means essential, and I'll generally stick them on if I can't think of anything better for the points.

At 10pts for IG vehicles, not worth it.

Lothlanathorian
06-05-2010, 19:44
I'd stick them on something like a Land Raider or Baal Predator, but not on my Rhinos. Even if I am playing as Vanilla Marines, I wouldn't put them on my Rhinos.

The Land Raiders because, well, if I the fastest route to you before I disgorge the assaulty goodness inside that hard candy shell is through DT, then, well, straight line through the trees/bushes/building it is. On the Baal Pred because it's just requires it to get up in your face and it should be able to do that to the best of its ability.

DaSpaceAsians
06-05-2010, 23:16
In my case, I don't see the point considering that I field gunlines or leave the tanks behind or simply have huge room to maneuver. It's also a problem when there's too many guardsmen in the way.

d6juggernaut
06-05-2010, 23:46
After rolling 1's for difficult terrain FOUR GAMES IN A ROW, I've decided to stick dozer blade on all of my transports...

Inquisitor_Tolheim
06-05-2010, 23:57
I've found that they are useful in marine armies and significantly less useful in guard armies. The added cost coupled with the fact that guard are shooty and thus have less incentive to drive straight through cover towards the enemy makes the points better spent on more guns, boots and treads on the ground.

Tu-Shan
07-05-2010, 00:47
Depends I dont normal send my tanks into terrian, there is always some open lanes to use.

Repentant Son
07-05-2010, 01:00
Meh. They're alright. Depends on what you're going to use them for.

Last second objective grabbers? Essential. Distractions and cannon fodder? Why would you buy any upgrade other than extra armour?

Eldoriath
07-05-2010, 04:43
On some units it's good, but I wouldn't put it on a standard chimera och rhino unless the unit inside is very assaulty. On tanks and such I would only give it to some that has very short range, like the hellhound, banewolf and possibly the demolisher. The demolisher usually can avoid difficult terrain, the banewolf must have a dozer blade since it's very up-and-close and the hellhound is a but underranged compared to demolisher and could probably use a dozer balde sometimes. But I doubt I would give it as standard seeing that it has range and can stay out of the way normaly.

Eta
07-05-2010, 07:56
Being an Ork player, I have the reinforced rams instead of dozer blades. Every trukk and wagon I posess does have the upgrade, it is invaluable. There are usually 9-12 terrain pieces on our boards, you would be hard pressed not to drive through terrain to get to your destination.

Greetings
Eta

Bloodknight
07-05-2010, 09:10
Dozer blades on Guard tanks are wasteful. 10 points, really?

Bunnahabhain
07-05-2010, 12:39
5 pts for marine transports that have to get somewhere to get their cargo into range is a bargain.

10pts for guard ones, that normally just need a reasonable LOS to work, is just silly.

I have tried using some of the nasty short ranged Guard tanks with them, to crash through terrain and surprise people, but even then, I still manage to immobilise myself far too often. 36:1? Nobody has told my dice...

CplHicks
07-05-2010, 17:51
We usually tend to play with a lot of terrain, I tend to drive around in or on that a lot (I love the moonscape carters) and I tend to roll really bad for those dangerous terrain tests. So I have them on my Rhinos and the Siegeshields on my Vindicators and I wish I could give a dozerblade to my Landraider I like to use quite regularly use as well. ^^

RCgothic
07-05-2010, 18:33
That's another annoying thing about vehicle upgrades. A dozer on a Vindicator or Land Raider is not worth the same as a dozer blade on a Pedator.

Earthbeard
07-05-2010, 18:36
I like the look of them on most vehicles, whether they actually have them or not, really depends on my mood and the army I'm building.

CPT Commissar Ginn
07-05-2010, 18:46
With the meta here focused on Pods and or DSing BA I have been adding them and siege shields to my vindicators. Especially with the prevalence of BA honor guards and Dreads.

I need to deploy near DIF/DAN terrain to scatter the pods add risk to troops. This effectively adds range to the ememy Melta capabilities denyying the melta rule and gives me a cover save.

Then I fearlessly drive through the same terrain to counter him with the same weapons.