PDA

View Full Version : New to Vampire Counts

Archangelion
07-05-2010, 19:50
I have a friend who is new to the counts, any suggestions for him regarding what units work best and how? What items to give to characters and what they are best fielded for?

BigbyWolf
08-05-2010, 09:40
Black Knights, Wight Kings and Varghulfs are my favourite choices.

Black Knights are a (relatively) cheap cavalry with Killing Blow and the option to be unbarded which allows them to move through terrain without penalty.

Wight Kings are one of the toughest hero choices out there, and cheap with it too. They're T5 and have 3 wounds, and can get a 2+ save even before they think about having any magic items.

Varghulfs...simply a Vampire gone "native"...a terror causing, regenerating, eternally hating 16" charge mini-monster. It's no Hydra or A-Bomb...but it's not bad.

As for characters, it really depends on the kind of army he likes to run.

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
08-05-2010, 20:19
Also tell/advise him to go Ghoul or Skeleton strong. Not both.
Zombies can be very useful in numerous occasions but I've never fielded them but summoned them a lot.
Wraith's and Spirit Hosts are very situational. Against some opponents they're game winners and against others (DoC amongst others) they're useless.
Varghulf are decent so are Fell Bats. Dire Wolves are very good for baiting I have yet to use Bat Swarms.

Archangelion
08-05-2010, 20:54
He has the winged vamp, a vamp on a giant beast thing, can't remember what he called it. He had a varghulf, skelitons, zombies, i think he is planning on getting some bats (or has them and hasn't assembled them yet, he also has a cart.

I looked through some stuff for him, it does seem like the knights are a good thing, but he said they are over $100 for 5 models.

bludsturm
08-05-2010, 21:01
VC have access to two types of knights:

Blood Knights (badass vampires)
Black Knights (wights)

Black Knights can be converted pretty easily and cheaply from skeleton + plastic knights from Empire, Bretonnia, etc.

Ridarsin
09-05-2010, 01:26
He has the winged vamp, a vamp on a giant beast thing, can't remember what he called it. He had a varghulf, skelitons, zombies, i think he is planning on getting some bats (or has them and hasn't assembled them yet, he also has a cart.

I looked through some stuff for him, it does seem like the knights are a good thing, but he said they are over $100 for 5 models.

Those are the Blood Knights, they are expensive. I built my VC on a budget and converted ALL of my mounted knights. It's nice because I spent $50 on a group of 5 (better than $90 on 5 Blood Knights and same price as 5 Black Knights, but look better). I'm also a fan of plastic models over metal, which is another reason I converted. Elves are close to the same shape/size as Vampires, IMHO, so I tend to use more of those when converting.

Black Knights: 1 box Grave Guard and 1 box Tomb Kings Skeleton Horsemen. I used the Grave Guard Heads, Horns, Shields, and torsos (1 sword from left over skeleton set). From the Skeleton Horsemen I used the horses and spears (and 1 sword for champ/Wight King). I then bought 2 command Black Knights for the Banner bearers.

Blood Knights: 1 box Chaos Marauder Horsemen and 1 box Dark Elf Cold One Knights. Assemble the Horses from the Marauders and either clip off the chaos symbol on the banner or use the Cold One banner. I then built the Cold One Knights and glued them to the horses.