PDA

View Full Version : Crown of Taidron spell and mounts

Entreri Bloodletter
08-05-2010, 16:55
Simple question, does casting the Crown of Taidron (from Lore of Shadow) affect any mounts my sorceress may be riding? Like a pegasus or other monstrous mount? Also, if I am in a unit, does it affect the unit I am in?

Zaustus
08-05-2010, 17:30
On your second question, yes it affects the unit that the sorceress is in.

The first question is trickier. The spell specifies that it hits all units except the caster herself. Since she and her mount are a single model, it may completely ignore their combined model.

On the other hand, it's clear the the spell hits everything except the caster herself, so you could easily argue that a monstrous mount should be hit too. I think it's ambiguous enough that you should dice it off should the situation occur in play.

T10
08-05-2010, 17:30
A valid question. Spells that affect units within range typically affect enemy units with a harmful effect or friendly units with a beneficial effect. The situation you describe isn't covered by the magic rules as far as I can tell.

Here's my opinion:

It seems reasonable that the caster model not be affected even if riding a steed (1 wound mount). This is because damage applied to the model is effectively worked out against the rider, i.e. the caster.

By extension any monstrous mount should enjoy the same level of protection. A character on a steed and a character on a monstrous mount are both units in their own right.

In contrast it seems unreasonable that a unit should suddenly become protected from the spell if the caster joins that unit. I would suggest that any unit the caster joins is also affected by the spell, but if it becomes necessary to distribute the damage (i.e. there are less than 5 rank-and-file models in the unit) then the caster model should be discounted.

-T10