PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into gaming. Interested in Wood Elves.

Jayhawk
09-05-2010, 04:32
So after more than 10 years away from from Warhammer, I've got the itch to start playing again. In the past, I've played with a Dwarf army and Imperial Guard in 40k. Basically boring walls of troops that don't move. Certainly a contributing factor to my giving up gaming.

So right now I'm debating making two armies. I like the woods aspects and the smaller forces Beastmen and Wood Elves feature. Thinking of starting off with 1000 pts of each and then moving from there. I already have several Beastmen units I'm putting together (Chariots, Minotaurs).

As far as wood elves, I'd like an army that's aggressive in it's tactics to keep my interest. I like a challenge so I'm trying hard to avoid walls of troops. I really like the elf models so at least within 1000pts, I'd like to stick with an elven force. I can add spirts as it gets larger. I especially like the Wardancers and Waywatchers so I'd really like to build the army with these two units. Obviously the Glade Guard would need to be my base. I think a Wardancer Nobel would be pretty cool for my first charecter. Just not sure how to set things up, ideal amount of troops, how to kit things out, etc. I'm too far removed from gaming to know what to start out with and I don't think there's a good local scene where I'm at to ask questions. Any ideas as far as possible troop choices or tactics would be most appreciated. Thanks!

pyroman08
09-05-2010, 04:54
If you can definitely wait until july 10th for 8th edition to come out so you know how it will affect either force. That said the rumours are assumed to be pretty accurate.

Wood elves are such a pain to use I feel like I'm playing orcs without all the spare bodies lol.

Glade guard are nice, but don't underestimate eternal guard. They're the only unit to really give rank bonuses, and stubborn 9 with a hero is pretty sweet for core troops 15 ws 5 int 5 attacks to the front ain't bad in the least. That said dryads are pretty reliable for an alternative except they aren't stubborn or give rank bonuses.

If you're just playing for fun then wood elves are more forgiving, in that in a for fun scenario you can place more trees than in tournaments where you can't really.

I think beasts will be easier and more forgiving to play, may wind up getting you more wins ultimitately, but woodelves are a challenge and can be fun too. Just too bad their models have so much metal or I'd throw em more in competitive events, jk.

Jayhawk
09-05-2010, 06:06
I'm looking at something pretty shooty (obviously) but trying to keep it very mobile. The two wardancer units give me the needed close combat skills once a unit is whittled down. This is 52 models at 1000 pts:

Nobel + Wardancer Kindred

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

5 Glade Riders w/ Musician

5 Glade Riders w/ Musician

8 Wardancers

7 Wardancers

6 Waywatchers

I'm just playing with things after reading every posting here on the forum. This is just a draft at best. Assuming all of these units will continue into 8th edition. They seem to be core to the Wood Elves from set to set. Once 8th edition comes out in July, I can focus on other possible directions... I like the idea of adding at least 1 magic unit, adding Offense against magic and artillery in the form of either flyers or wild riders (whatever continues to exist), and add a unit of Eternal Guard which I assume will continue on (to be used as the anvil for the wardancers). Then at 2000, possibly add a treeman (i'm debating just making the army all elven), another magic user, and increase waywatcher effectiveness with more troops/nobel.

meneroth
09-05-2010, 16:10
alter kindred nobles with bow of loren, arcane bodkins, hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt, great weapons are pretty common. (you cant take all that stuff, but pick out what you like) They are really mobile and really deadly. lots of fun.

Jayhawk
09-05-2010, 16:34
If you're just playing for fun then wood elves are more forgiving, in that in a for fun scenario you can place more trees than in tournaments where you can't really.

I think beasts will be easier and more forgiving to play, may wind up getting you more wins ultimitately, but woodelves are a challenge and can be fun too. Just too bad their models have so much metal or I'd throw em more in competitive events, jk.

That's good to hear. I want something FUN . IG and Dwarfs were not fun for me at all and rarely did scenery come into play. I've ordered a bunch of plastic trees already and I'm planning on doing some modelling of those ASAP while i get this army all worked out. When I played before, making and painting scenery was my favorite part of the hobby. Never was much for tournaments... as you say, not much room for scenery there.

I'm not so interested in wins as having fun. My IG army was undefeated in the 4 years I played with it. It wasn't challenging to field a horde of troops like that. My Dwarfs weren't as good, but I think it was mostly cause I just got bored waiting for enemies to come to me. I think with Wood Elves, I'd have to constantly be on my toes, moving units, lining up charges, whittling units down to prepare for charges, etc. A lot more technical and less forgiving, but at the same time, far more fun. As far as beastmen go, they are my second choice but they seem to be the army that's ready for 8th edition thanks to their recent release date. I'm still not convinced they are an army I want to play with: Love the Chariots, Centigors and Minotaurs. But everything else is just sort of ok. I like pretty much all the wood elves models, especially the elves themselves, I like the shooty + need for tactical movement aspects, I like the armor and strength limitations (every army should have something they have to work around), and I really appreciate the smaller model count. It allows for more ability to model things and make them your own. Couldn't really get away with that when fielding dwarfs and IG.

Jayhawk
09-05-2010, 16:35
alter kindred nobles with bow of loren, arcane bodkins, hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt, great weapons are pretty common. (you cant take all that stuff, but pick out what you like) They are really mobile and really deadly. lots of fun.

Good at 1000 pts or is this something you want to hold off for until 1500-2000? I'm used to not boosting charecters until higher point levels, but I also haven't played a 1000 pt game of anything since the late 90s.

Satan
10-05-2010, 09:08
Love my wood elves and the way they play, but they just can't dish out much in the way of punishment. Usually ends in a draw at best. Will be interesting to see how 8th turns out for them though.

snowywlf
10-05-2010, 14:08
Jayhawk, try asrai.org (http://asrai.org). It's a Wood Elf specific forum. You'll see lots of modeling, painting, tactics, lists, discussion, etc.

I like Wood Elves because their are insanely tactical. Their entire game is about outmaneuvering and precision kills. If you didnt like Dwarves, this is nearly as opposite as you can get. In many games I move every single unit almost every turn (god bless the Wood Elves ability to ignore the movement penalty to shooting).

As a warning though, I have had complaints from my opponents saying it isnt very fun to battle against Wood Elves. They say the entire game feels like they are being led around by their nose. This makes me happy, of course, and is exactly what Wood Elves should be doing. But I want my opponents to enjoy themselves as well. I think part of that issue is my opponents not knowing how to deal with Wood Elves, but I've taken to altering my lists to 'feed' them a few units now and then. You'd be surprised at the change in perception if you use Wardancers to assassinate a critical unit and then die, as opposed to peppering it with fire until it is useless and then ignoring it.

Last, but not least, if you like the modeling part, I think Wood Elves have an *excellent* range of miniatures. It was the deciding factor for me between High Elves and Wood Elves.

Satan
10-05-2010, 14:59
As a warning though, I have had complaints from my opponents saying it isnt very fun to battle against Wood Elves. They say the entire game feels like they are being led around by their nose. This makes me happy, of course, and is exactly what Wood Elves should be doing. But I want my opponents to enjoy themselves as well. I think part of that issue is my opponents not knowing how to deal with Wood Elves, but I've taken to altering my lists to 'feed' them a few units now and then. You'd be surprised at the change in perception if you use Wardancers to assassinate a critical unit and then die, as opposed to peppering it with fire until it is useless and then ignoring it.

Last, but not least, if you like the modeling part, I think Wood Elves have an *excellent* range of miniatures. It was the deciding factor for me between High Elves and Wood Elves.

I also love the wood elves for the tactical manouvering, which works insanely well - but I've also found that the army has virtually no other option than to prance around the enemy many times. During my many games I've found that there are lots of stuff out there which the wood elves simply can't crack - irregardless of whether you manage to score a 3-way charge or not. If my opponent's idea of fun is to wade through my poor elves with his chosen then I say good riddance to him.

What is sometimes an offensive inability has actually been my greatest disappointment with the army so far. The Wild riders and Alter noble are constanst let-downs in my world, yet I see no better options. Truth be told I think this is actually on account of the wood elves being what I perceive as a fairly balanced army. Unfortunately that doesn't lend it any chance against armoured units at all.

I have good hopes for 8th edition though, where I think I'll field another 10 archers if the rumours turn out to be true.

meneroth
10-05-2010, 18:06
its sadly true, wood elves just bounce off of stuff like knights, chaos warriors, most deamons, and some ogre sized units. stuff like the doomwheel or the steam tank they just cant stop without good dice luck.

on the positive side, they are alot of fun to play just because they require so much manuver and thier heroes can be alot of fun. sending your alter noble with the arcane bodkins dancing around knights and blocks of infantry is quite entertianing and leads to a feeling of bad-ass-ness.

personally, i say go for em, the unique style plus the awesome minatures and flexibility of lists makes them quite fun and viable as an army.

Jayhawk
10-05-2010, 20:43
Jayhawk, try asrai.org (http://asrai.org). It's a Wood Elf specific forum. You'll see lots of modeling, painting, tactics, lists, discussion, etc.

I like Wood Elves because their are insanely tactical. Their entire game is about outmaneuvering and precision kills. If you didnt like Dwarves, this is nearly as opposite as you can get. In many games I move every single unit almost every turn (god bless the Wood Elves ability to ignore the movement penalty to shooting).

Excellent information. Thank you so much! This really justifies the Wood Elves as a choice for me.