PDA

View Full Version : high elf bolt thrower lord

the_night_reaper
19-02-2006, 21:57
Has anyone ever tried this combination on a high elf lord?

Prince: bow of the seafarer, shadow armour, something else, maybe a talisman of protection and either a halberd or great weapon.

He can scout and shoot like a bolt thrower with bs6. That means he can go on you opponents flank and shoot into the flanks of unit, say a unit of expensive knights.

Dargor
19-02-2006, 22:09
Yes, a lot of people have tried that before you. It's not a very original set-up, but it doesn't see much use either. It's a one-trick pony, you see, and the Prince's other-wise good statline is somewhat wasted with it too. Frankly, I think you'll be better off just mounting him on a Great Eagle instead. Or rather, I'd just take Commander with the Reaver Bow on an Eagle instead and save that Lord slot for an Archmage, I think. The tactic has its merits though, so do try it out for a game or two if you feel so inclined. Just don't expect it to be a reliable and mainstay part of all your future army lists.

Keller
19-02-2006, 22:30
I've played against a HE prince such as this before, but I always find that mounting him on an Eagle is a better option. Its actually not a bad deal, since often enough the Prince isn't the general anyway, and can afford to go flying around the board, looking for flank shots. Sending him to the flank of some knights or Ogres then loosing a bolt through them can be devestating. Too bad he's not all that hard to counter if you have some decnet shooting units, since Eagles can't dame much damage.

Lord Anathir
19-02-2006, 22:36
one trick pony.

any decent player will know hes got that bow when you scout a prince. one thunderbolt (of any kind) is all it takes.

the_night_reaper
20-02-2006, 00:04
what if you go first. Then by his turn you've already taken out 3 or 4 knights from his unit in a flank shot. Also if there is enough terrain it's normally not hard to deploy him out of los to enemy missile weapons and if you give him amulet of purifying flame any magic roll at him is at -3 to cast.

InsideReticle
13-04-2009, 18:47
He becomes a lot more interesting at 3000+ points, when you have another lord on the table anyway. It's too bad the bow isn't 10 pts. cheaper, or you'd see nobles flying around with that thing in every game.

theunwantedbeing
13-04-2009, 18:51
Having him on a flying mount is generally the best thing.
20" move putting him anywhere you want, and only suffering a -1 to move.
Very easy to get him on the flank of an enemy knight unit.

Works just as well using a mage, although you'll want curse of arrow attraction to be cast.

g0ddy
13-04-2009, 19:25
!?!? guys epic threadomancy....

~ zilla

SilentStalker
13-04-2009, 19:32
lmao yeah. 3 years?

Mabbz101
13-04-2009, 20:02
I run a similar set up in my seaguard army.

For 2500 pt games or more

Prince
Griffon
Bow of the Seafarer
Armour of caledor
Amulet of light
shield
greatweapon

For 2000 and under games

Noble
Greatweapon
Shield
Dragon Armour
Great Eagle
Reaver Bow

Each is backed up by a Mage or 2 with dispell scrolls.

tend to have Curse of arrow attraction in play before i shoot and i have the other bolt throwers aiming at the same target

Dr.Mercury
13-04-2009, 20:46
Back when the original post was written, it was quite a nice combo!
LoL!

SilentStalker
13-04-2009, 20:48
haha yeah with old army book =P