PDA

View Full Version : help with Brets army list

Duke Dev
10-05-2010, 12:51
Hi could i get some help with make a Bret army list
and are peasant's worth it;)

Bladelord
10-05-2010, 12:52
What sort of bret list were you thinking about?

Duke Dev
10-05-2010, 12:53
thanks in advance

Duke Dev
10-05-2010, 12:59
a Strong one would be good

meneroth
10-05-2010, 18:02
you gotta give us a general idea of what you want or we cant help. pesants are good if you use them right i guess, but only having like 1-2 units isnt enough.

a strong list goes one of two ways; either alot of knights and alot of heroes or ALOT of pesants with some knights and pegasus in support.

ChaosCajun
11-05-2010, 03:00
Check out OnceBitten's numerous Bret battle reports on youtube. He usually brings a few peasant units and they tend to hold up things, protect knight flanks, and provide static cr. I used to never field peasants thinking I had to field lots or none, but recently added a few and was impressed with how well they worked. Get there points back most games. Bowmen with braziers negating regen (bye bye hydra). They add a whole new dimension to the Brets. Even the trebuchet can be good. It makes the enemy want to spread out, making more opportunity for knights to get advantageous charges.

Like Meneroth said tho, you have to get good at using them.

Adman
11-05-2010, 03:08
Yeah ChaosCajun is right, they are nearly always worth it.

I've been fielding men at arms and they are extremely reliable and sometimes even do great things such as single-handedly breaking and running down a unit of marauders, chaos warriors and breaking a chaos exalted. Just make sure you field them in a unit of at least 24 so they can have some impact. They can even wound stuff with their polearms.

Mounted Yeomen are also very useful and cheap, i find they are most useful in units of 5-6 with just a musician. use them for flank charges or baiting other units.

Trebuchets have been a mixed bag for me but i enjoy using them. The most important thing is deciding who you need to target which just takes practice.

So considering how cheap peasants are i'd say ALWAYS use some. The peasant's duty rule is also extremely useful. My unit of men at arms held a stegadon up for 3 turns and all for a measly 135 points. Keep knights close and feel free to use them aggresively because they're unexpected.

Duke Dev
12-05-2010, 11:59
ok i have done really cool things with men-at-arms and bowmen it's my knights that let me down sadly.
my mate said that Mounted Yeomen they are expensive

Duke Dev
12-05-2010, 12:00
and thank again

Bumble the Great
12-05-2010, 12:43
I think they are worth it for sure but as ChaosCajun said you need to use them to support your lances. I take a fullsize unit of battle pilgrims with relique plus 2 units of men at arms and 2 units of bowmen.the stubborn unit of battle pilgrims has saves my army so many times by holding the enemy in place. and i cant cound how many times the men at arms have one the game by getting a flank charge to help out an already engaged lance.
Also its nice to have units that can occupy buildings (possibly even more useful if the rumors about the next ed are right)

Malorian
12-05-2010, 16:09
Personally I run a pure knight list as I find the peasants are too slow, and once my knights charge turn 2 they just never catch up.

If the knights waited for the slow infantry then they would take more losses from shooting and magic and allow the enemy to get into a better position.

That being said I think skirmishing archers can be great as well as the grail rel at holding down a flank while you swamp the other side with knights.

Kayosiv
13-05-2010, 09:09
Pick up skirmishing Bowmen. For a mere 75 points you can pump out flaming attacks and that is all kinds of useful. For about 95 points you can give them a banner that gives your opponent no victory points and some armor too. Not bad at all.

Men-at-arms, Grail Relique and mounted yeomen all have their place and uses in the army, but it is ALWAYS nice to have a unit that can weaken or kill either big monsters or lone wizards before the combat actually begins.

fantasypisces
13-05-2010, 09:20
In regards to peasants, I always have one unit of skirmishing bowman, one unit of Mounted Yeomen (absolute must), and a trebuchet.

I have tried a unit of men at arms, and they were hit and miss sometimes.
In one game I have two units of men at arms, a unit of skirmishing bowman, two other units of bowman, and two trebuchets, and it ROCKED! It was against VC, the peasants held my middle (bowman aceing a vargulf turn 1), while my knights swung around the flanks.

So peasants are not a complete waste once you understand how to use them. But like I said earlier, they are still hit and miss based upon what you are playing.