PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Shield and Tzeench's Firestorm

VoodooJanus
11-05-2010, 04:07
So the question is this, when Tzeentch's Firestorm (clearly labeled as a magic missile) hits a Lizardmen unit/model that contains/carries the mirrored shield (can't quite remember the exact name of the item) where do you place the newly formed horror unit? In the spell, it says that the unit is formed by the target unit. This could be interpreted to mean either that the new horror unit is placed in proximity to the Lizardmen unit, which was it's INTENDED target, or is it placed next to the Daemon unit/model that cast the spell in the first place (as it is the eventual and actual, albeit unintended target of the spell.) My inclination is to believe that the former is true, although I am still somewhat on the fence.

it's a bit of an odd case to say the least...

Zaustus
11-05-2010, 04:34
The Horrors are created within 3" of the unit that takes damage, even if it was his own unit that suffered wounds. This is because you don't pick and choose which effects are reflected. The entire spell is resolved with the caster (or his unit) as its target.

The Daemon player is still in control of the new Horrors, naturally.

dragonet111
11-05-2010, 06:49
Sorry to Hijacked so post.

I have a question about that spell. If you cast the firestorm twice on a unit (with 2 different casters or in 2 turns, .....), the horrors created regroup to form a big unit or do you create 2 small units?

Zaustus
11-05-2010, 07:38
You would create two small units. The spell specifically says "this new unit," and you have to resolve the full spell each time. Thus, two castings (each doing 3+ wounds) will create two Horror units.

dragonet111
11-05-2010, 08:49
Thanks, that's what I thought I don't like that spell. Is it only me or Firestorm is not that great?

T10
11-05-2010, 09:06
You still get to deal a significant amount of damage, and bringing a new unit into play has all kinds of tactical benefits, even if it's a maximum of 4 models.

For example, if you manage to create a unit of three models then you can have two heralds fly up and join it to create a US 5 unit behind the enemy's lines. This is sufficient size to destroy units fleeing trough it, seize a table quarter, negate rank bonus etc.

Even if you can't get the unit up to US5, even a single-model unit will have an effect on marching and can possibly tie up a warmachine for a few rounds with some luck.

You don't get a unit of horrors that can win the game on its own, but then again: you already have a whole army of Daemons, so winning the game shouldn't be a problem...

In fact, I think I've convinced myself that the spell isn't all that bad.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2010, 09:29
In fact, I think I've convinced myself that the spell isn't all that bad.

-T10

If your getting Bolted, Flickered and then Firestormed its starts to be nasty. If the other guy is just using firestorm on you (and your not t3 elves with a 5+ save at best) then its a bit of a waste and a poor usage of spells for the most part.

As for the OP's question.
The spell's target effectively changes to the casters unit when the sheild works.

Firestorm "caused X damage on the target unit"
Sheild "resolve the spell against the casters unit"