PDA

View Full Version : DoW - Cluelessness

ftayl5
11-05-2010, 11:17
So for a while, I've wanted to do a DoW army, but DoW are so unique, so different to every other army: in a standard list you can take dwarves, undead, several different versions of guys that fight in 4 ranks, orcs, a high elf on a dragon, skink cold one riders, a horse drawn cannon and fear causing skirmishers! Therefore when making an army list I really don't know where to start.

Are there any DoW veterans out there who could lend a hand, maybe provide an example 1250pts list or something? Because as stated in the title, I'm clueless

Commissar Vaughn
11-05-2010, 15:13
I always build the core of my army thusly:

Captain and paymaster: generally on foot and ready to hit people.
A pike block supported by crossbowmen and duelists.
A detatchment of light and heavy cavalry

Once this core is in I then add whatever other toys I feel like: You might as well base your choice on things like your mood, horoscope etc, any attempt to tailor for power or effectivness will get laughed at!

These secondary choices will be selected from : Hairy Barbarians, dwarfs, cannons, halflings, dragon chap, various ROR Pikes, and a few more variations on the theme of cavalry man and character. MOst of mine are non citadel models these days, simply becouse I like the variety It afford and I get a pretty cool looking 3k army.

Arkfatalis
11-05-2010, 15:47
A better site to ask about DOW is http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/search.php?action=results&sid=1d209a5f04b7e118948592d9e413220a
There are some great people there that are always happy to help.

Bloodknight
11-05-2010, 15:55
Warseer isn't that bad, though. We have a couple of DoW players here, too.

My take on the DoW:

Paymaster on horse, full armour, lance, enchanted shield.
Captain on Pegasus, lance, brace of pistols, heavy armour, shield.
Level 1 Wizard with 2 scrolls.

Core:

2 units of duellists with pistols
10-20 crossbowmen
2x5 Light Cavalry
6 Voland's Venators

Special:
a unit of Norse Marauders with Flails (would be the first thing I kick if I have to save points).
Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks as a wizard guard.

Rare:
A cannon.

Jericho
11-05-2010, 16:05
Tactica Dogs of War (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174037) for your viewing pleasure :D

The general concensus with Dogs of War is that they are very cool, shiny figs and can be lots of fun to play with ... but yeah the ruleset is very old and the newer books really outshine you in a hurry. More special rules, crazy magic items, unique spell lores, etc. all cause some headaches for the aspiring DoW general.

If you're after a hardcore army, you're looking in the wrong place. If you want some goofy units, some awesome models, and something rather unique on the battlefield then this is the army for you!

Anyway since the army really lacks true heavy hitters, your basic army list is usually worked around 2-3 blocks of infantry (Pikes, Marauders or Dwarfs can fill this role easily enough) with support from Duelists, Cavalry and a smattering of Crossbowmen. Ogres are a nice addition to the army since they are all Special, including Maneaters. I highly recommend the Truthsayer as a general, he's a Wizard lord with decent stats, 4+ ward and only uses a hero and a rare slot. Ld9 to boot :)

someone2040
12-05-2010, 02:38
Pretty much what Jericho says. Although, I don't think the list really lacks heavy hitters.
Asarnil, Beorg (Although, Beorg is the only one in his unit that hits hard), Heavy Cavalry, Ogres with Great Weapons (Ironguts or Man-Eaters) and Norse with Great Weapons/Flails.

The shortcomings of the list are...
Subpar Paymaster who is a liability. He's a BSB with worse stats, causes a panic test when he dies, and has access to crap magic items.
That of course leads onto point 2, very few magic items means our characters aren't all 'that'. Nothing to equipt Mercenary Generals with at all, so most people spam wizards or take regiments of renown that also cut into the hero slots.
Point 3 is, Pikemen are overcosted by about 4-ish points. This is a consequence of how the design has changed throughout 6th and 7th edition (Especially 7th, where infantry has gotten cheaper in general).

The final point is, a lot of the Regiments of Renown aren't worth it. As taking the character + usually command kind've works against the unit rather than for it. Do you really want a character and command in your Crossbowmen or Light Cavalry for example - probably not.

But overall, the Dogs of War is a really interesting army. Their sweet spot in 7th edition is 1750 points in my oppinion, as you can take Asarnil who is half hero-half lord without having an opposing lord to take him on. Any higher and you start to run into problems of fully kitted out lords, and the list starts to lose it's lustre.

It'll be interesting to see what spin 8th edition puts on the list. Whether it makes it better/worse or kills it for ever.