PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Ogres Tournament Army

Keetoowah
12-05-2010, 02:07
Ok, there is a elimination tournament at my local GW this weekend. It is 2250 points and you are only allowed 2 dispel scrolls. Also, there will be cheese checks. I am, obviously, taking Ogres. I have a list worked up that I would like your comments and criticism on, but I have a problem, it is over points and I can't figure out what to cut/change to make room for more points. I am at 2289 points and I need to be at 2250 points. I have:

Tyrant
Heavy Armor
Brace of Handguns
Luck Gnoblar
Tenderizer or Thundermace (Not sure yet, opinions welcome)
Wyrdstone Necklace
Fistful of Laurels

Butcher
Rock Eye
Dispel Scroll

Butcher
Skullmantle
Siegebreaker

Butcher
Bangstick
Dispel Scroll

Ironguts x4
Standard Bearer
Bellower

Ironguts x4
Standard Bearer
Bellower

Ironguts x4
Standard Bearer
Bellower

Ironguts x5 (Tyrant goes here)
Gutlord
Bellower
Standard Bearer
War Banner

Bulls x3

Maneaters x4
Heavy Armor x4
Brace of Handguns x4

immortal git
13-05-2010, 00:40
points to drop, one irongut could go from the tyrants unit, 6 wide seems too much in my opinion but you probably have more experience with ogres than me, theres also a little excess points that you could sprinkle on the maneaterws, maybe so longswords and some great weapons, only 6 points each.

VoodooJanus
13-05-2010, 01:06
What I think...

Well, for starters, your army seems like it's stuck right between a MSU and LSU style. My guess is, from the looks of it, that you're one of those types who hates leadbelchers (thus the AHW brace o' pistols Maneaters, who are awesome BTW.) But If I could, I'd ask you if you'd be willing to try out a pair. Yes, it sounds weird at first, but it's funny the first time you charge an opponents, weaker, closer fastcav and other such things. They make some of the best flankguards the OK have available.

The rockeye is rather.... situational. It might be helpful vs. Dark Elves for revealing any ubersassins. Short of that though, you can usually tell what equipment something has by its behavior.

I know you're not looking for strategic advice, but I'd put the Tyrant in with the Maneaters, or even split them up into two units of two. Remember, they're ItP and stubborn so they'll do okay as small units.

You could definitely lose some of those units' standard bearers, and I'd personally restructure into 4 units of 3 IG's rather than 3 of 4.

Personally though, my choice would be to drop one of your maneaters, replace him with a Gorger (saving you 15 points right there) and get rid of some of your command. You also have an obscene amount of Butchers, who are generally outclassed on the battlefield by cheaper less combat-oriented wizards. I'd drop one of those and replace it with a nice bruiser (or even another unit of Ogres.)

I dunno. Maybe if you explain how you intend to use each of these units?

Edit: On re-evaluation, you have just over 1000 points invested in characters and command options. That's a lot for an OK army. It can work as a deathstar army, but it's a heckuva lot more difficult.

Keetoowah
13-05-2010, 04:52
Yes, I normally run MSU, but I was re-working this list off of some of the tactica that I have been reading. I went back to the list that I normally use and built off of there. This is roughly my list. I may be a little over.

Tyrant
Heavy Armor
Brace of Handguns
Luck Gnoblar
Tenderizer or Thundermace (Not sure yet, opinions welcome)
Wyrdstone Necklace
Fistful of Laurels

Butcher
Rock Eye
Dispel Scroll

Butcher
Skullmantle
Siegebreaker

Butcher
Bangstick
Dispel Scroll

Ironguts x4
Bellower

Ironguts x4
Bellower

Ironguts x3 (Tyrant goes here)
Bellower

Bulls x3
Bellower

Bulls x3
Bellower

Gnoblar Trappers x8
Snarefinger

Leadbelchers x2

Slavegiant

Maneaters x4
Heavy Armor x4
Brace of Handguns x4

Jind_Singh
13-05-2010, 19:33
its workable but i found that the slave giant isn't as good as another unit of ironguts or bulls!
he is too situational, fun though, and his broken rule means he'll run from combats more often than not!
i tried the thundermace, too hit and miss, so i went to seige breaker or tenerizer - in the end the tenderizor, 5+ ward, and the magic gut plate that allows you to gain wounds from winning challenges was the way i went, along with BoH, luck gnoblar

The army that has been wreaking havoc for me is 4 units of 4 IG, 4 units of bulls, 2 lead belchers, and tyrant with 3 buthcers - sometimes i'll give add HW to the bulls, sometimes I dont

I haven't taken bellowers simply cuz i don't have the points free for them!

meneroth
14-05-2010, 01:52
the three butchers is a good combination, they are about as close to tournament competitive as Ogres can get. I would drop their extra stuff though. the dispel scrolls are always good, and the bangstick is pretty useful but with the other stuff added on it just gets so expensive. same goes with your tyrant. give him longstrider and the tenderizer and hes fast enough that he can stay out of most of harms way without having to bunker him down in a unit. my buddy who plays ogres exceptionally well never has his tyrant in units, he just runs him around alone, though it does take a bit of thinking to do. I would just try and free up points for a few more units of bulls if at all possible. the more the merrier.