Boss
Hand Weapons, Spears, Light Armor, Shields

Orc Boar Chariot [Special] 86 points
Two Boars, 3 Orcs
Hand Weapons, Spears

3 River Trolls [Rare] 180 points

Goblin Doom Diver Catapult [Rare] 80 points

Total: 1999 points

Tips? Suggestions? Me and a friend of mine hammered this out and I'm looking at about $600 to $630 (that's with tax and S&H) for the army, so I'll need to know if it's a solid list before I start picking up the models.

DV8

DarkTerror
20-02-2006, 06:45
Black Orc Big Boss[Hero x 2, General] 134 points
Choppa, Iron Skin Shield
Heavy Armor

Big Orc Boss [Hero, BSB] 92 points
Choppa, Light Armor

Orc Shaman [Hero] 150 points
Level 2 Wizard
Choppa, 2 Dispel Scrolls

20 Night Goblins [Core] 90 points
Hand Weapons, Shields
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins [Core] 65 points
Hand Weapons, Shields
1 Fanatic

30 Orc Boyz [Core] 208 points
Full Command
Choppas, Light Armor, Shields

Full Command

Full Command

21 Black Orcs [Special] 284 points
Full Command
Choppas, Heavy Armor, Shields

5 Orc Boar Boyz [Special] 107 points
Boss

5 Orc Boar Boyz [Special] 107 points
Boss

Two Boars, 3 Orcs
Hand Weapons, Spears

3 River Trolls [Rare] 180 points

Total: 1999 points

Tips? Suggestions? Me and a friend of mine hammered this out and I'm looking at about $600 to $630 (that's with tax and S&H) for the army, so I'll need to know if it's a solid list before I start picking up the models.

DV8

I'd pass on the Ironskin Shield. I'm sure you could do something better than that. Your Night Goblin units are pretty much worthless except for 1 or 2 fanatics. Your entire shooting phase is a doom diver, cut it. You have too many units (some will do nothing w/o a character) and you'll have trouble making your units fit.

Possible recommendations: (pick and choose any that tickle your fancy)
Cut your orc mage for a night gobbo mage with mad cap mushrooms. combine your gobbos into 1 unit of 35 (6x6 w/ mage) and 3 fanatics.

Cut the doom diver. Add another Orc Boar Chariot to replace it.

Combine the 2 units of boar boys and mount your lord in here with porka's pigsticka and armor (possibly banner to make -1 to shoot at) and make your BO lord into a hero and place elsewhere. If you want small fast units to do very little, use wolf riders, boar boys have more use in large numbers (15 can be effective too given their cheap points cost).

Cut a unit of orcs. You have the right thinking in size, but a large clump doesn't do much unless you have a character or another unit to back them up. They just can't hold much on their own. I'd much rather have a giant than a standalone unit of orcs.

Consider using 2 orc heros instead of a black orc warlord (or a second mage). Orcs need as many heros as they can get, and as tempting as BO lords look, I'd look elsewhere.

Once again, take what you will and good luck :cool:

blurred
20-02-2006, 09:25
Looks quite good. Some suggestions:

1) Drop the level from the shaman and make him a regular scroll caddy.

2) I'd adjust your unit sizes a bit. 30 orcs is overkill. I've found that 25 is enough. 178 points with shields and full command is not too pricy either. I'd also consider dropping some black orcs. Almost 300 points is just too much for a unit with movement value of 4. If you want to get really radical, drop their size to 12 (in 6*2 formation) and give them great weapons, boss and a musician. They're not too pricy, but great at counter-charging and the boss has S7. :eek:

3) Why not take some wolf riders? Fast cavalry with 9" movement is pure gold. Two units of 5 (with musicians) should do it.

4) Add musicians to your boar boy units.

5) If you want to keep your trolls, fine, but 4 regular trolls cost almost the same as 3 river ones. Think about it. Trolls in general are decent, but nothing special so consider dropping them altogether.

DV8
20-02-2006, 12:40
Some great suggestions, and some I'm not so keen on. Keeping in mind I want to paint a varied number of units just because they look cool (and deyz got shiny gubbin's wot not), I think I'm going to keep the Doomdiver for pure hilarity (I love the model and I'm going to enjoy watching those Gobbos splatter themselves.

I think I will drop the Orc Shaman for a Night Goblin Shaman. And the combining the Fanatics I'd thought about and it seems like a sound idea.

I'll take the 4 Trolls as opposed to the 3 River Trolls (I just like the models if nothing else).

The problem with all those big blocks is that I've already filled out my Special and my Rare, so I have nothing to take BUT blocks of boyz. And my Heroes are full up (stupid Black Orc Big Boss taking two Hero slots as it were; changing him to a regular Orc is out of the question...I'm having my Warband led by nothing less than a Black Orc, regardless of play).

I've also retooled the Black Orc unit to 16 boyz and given them all Great Axes.

Here's a reconfigured list:

Black Orc Big Boss[Hero x 2, General] 134 points
Choppa, Iron Skin Shield
Heavy Armor

Choppa, Light Armor

Night Goblin Shaman [Hero] 90 points
Hand Weapon
Mad Cap Mushrooms

35 Night Goblins [Core] 145 points
Hand Weapons, Shields
3 Fanatics

Full Command

Full Command

Full Command

16 Black Orcs [Special] 225 points
Full Command
Great Axes, Heavy Armor, Shields

8 Orc Boar Boyz [Special] 161 points
Boss

8 Orc Boar Boyz [Special] 161 points
Boss

Two Boars, 3 Orcs
Hand Weapons, Spears

4 Trolls [Rare] 200 points

Total: 1998 points

I've kept the Black Orc Big Boss's Ironskin Shield, because as is he has a 4+ save and a 4+ ward, the latter of which I'm loving. If you can suggest a better combination (with only 50 points to spend for him), I'm all ears.

I've kept the big blocks of boyz because...youse can't never have enuff boyz to duff stuff with. If they don't work out well, I'll sub out the Doomdiver for a Giant.

I've also biggified my 2 units of Boar Boyz to 8 strong each.

DV8

blurred
20-02-2006, 15:10
You do realize that the new list leaves you with just 3 dispel dice and no scrolls. This may sound a bit harsh, but some armies will just walk over you. Sure you have a lot of boyz on the table, but with LD8 you're bound to fail some panic tests and then it's just one big, green snowball rolling downhill. :D

The problem with all those big blocks is that I've already filled out my Special and my Rare, so I have nothing to take BUT blocks of boyz.

How 'bout those wolf riders I suggested? Believe me, they are worth it. The problem I see with your new list is that you have no sacrificable units. Two small units of goblins and some wolf riders would do wonders.

Stupid Black Orc Big Boss taking two Hero slots as it were; changing him to a regular Orc is out of the question...I'm having my Warband led by nothing less than a Black Orc, regardless of play.

Whatever you say, but LD9 is something I wouldn't pass as an orc player (especially when you have trolls in your list).

DarkTerror
20-02-2006, 15:32
How 'bout those wolf riders I suggested? Believe me, they are worth it. The problem I see with your new list is that you have no sacrificable units. Two small units of goblins and some wolf riders would do wonders.

I strongly suggest trading in your boar boy units for units of wolf riders. They're cheaper, faster and will even add a tiny touch of shooting to go with your doom diver ;) . They can be "sacrificed", if you will. Your army is lacking a little bit in tactics and I fear it might get boring too soon, fast cavalry could help add a little spark.

As far as the Ironskin Shield goes, there are no great combos for Orcs and Goblins that could replace it (sadly). Not too many people will go after your BO lord due to your high stats. Consider something like the Battle Axe of the Last Waaagh to murder their men as well as some kickin boots.

DV8
20-02-2006, 15:47
Well, I want the high leadership (and re-roll animosity) that the Black Orc provides, so unless I drop the BSB, or the Night Goblin Shaman, there's no way I can fit in an more anti-magic

I'll keep the Boar Boyz as I like the models and want to set about converting a few. Instead I'll drop one of the blocks of 30 for Goblin Wolf Riders (don't have the book with me, so I'll post up an amended list later tonight).

For the Black Orc Big Boss (just a hero...he's not the Warboss/Lord version), I'll look into other gear if he isn't going character hunting.

*EDIT*

I've done some tweaking to the list, dropped the Trolls and a unit of Boar Boyz, as well as cutting down the size of the second unit. 2 units of Goblin Wolf Riders with spears rounds out my movement. I've taken the best of both worlds and taken a Night Goblin Great Shaman, so I get the magic PLUS the Mad Cap Mushrooms, along with a Dispel Scroll "just in case" (I don't expect to put up much of a fight against magic, but hopefully I'll have enough bodies to ward off all but the most grevious of the spells, like comet or something). I've dropped the Ironskin Shield from my Black Orc for the Big Axe of Bashin'. Hopefully I don't run into any nasty characters.

Black Orc Big Boss [Hero x 2, General] 134 points
Basha’s Big Axe of Bashin’, Heavy Armor

Choppa, Light Armor

Night Goblin Great Shaman [Lord] 215 points
Level 3 Wizard
Hand Weapon, Mad Cap Mushrooms, 1 Dispel Scrolls

35 Night Goblins [Core] 145 points
Hand Weapons, Shields
3 Fanatics

Full Command