PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin Character Set-up

BigbyWolf
12-05-2010, 20:42
I'm putting together a Night Goblin army for a couple of quick test games before I invest in any more models but cant quite get the feel for the characters I'm going to use for the games. At the moment I've settled on the following:

Night Goblin Warboss- Nibbla's 'Itty Ring, Shaga's Screamin' Sword, Amulet of Protectyness- 150

Decent defence (depending on what he's fighting) and the sword can turn the little chap into a good offensive character as well. Also he gives me the best Ld I can get without resorting to Skarsnik.

Night Goblin Boss- BSB, Best Boss 'At, Martog's Best Basha, Light Armour- 102

I figured that none of the standards were good enough to risk him dying, so went for the 'At instead, I could really use the BSB benefits so ideally would like to keep him alive for as long as possible.

Night Goblin Shaman- Level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin'- 135
Night Goblin Shaman- Level 2, Dispel Scroll, 2x Mushrooms- 130

Gives me 5 DD and 1 scroll, and 6 Pd plus mushrooms (Plus bound spell from Warboss), I won't be going up against any massively magic-heavy lists, so this should be ok.

I'd prefer not to take Skarsnik if I can help it (although he may make appearances in larger games), and having Ld 6 really just isn't good enough, so my general really has to be a Warboss. In an army like this I would also assume a BSB would be necessary (It always was when I used Skaven), so ideally I'd like to keep that as well. I've taken two shaman as I don't want to risk having any less defence in army that panics as easily as this on will.

I do have the Boss on Squig model, and am struggling to not put him in the list, as I really like the model, and it just seems so fun. The only options I have to get it in are:

Warboss on Squig- less than ideal, as it'll keep him away from the rest of the army.

Extra Big Boss instead of Shaman- Like I said, lessens magical defence, not ideal.

Swap BSB for Squig- Again, takes the BSB away from the battle line.

Swap Warboss for Great Shaman and swap a normal shaman for squig- Ld 6, yuk!

Sooo...any suggestions, or should I reserve him for a bigger game? What about the first character list- any tweaks needed for that one?

rtunian
12-05-2010, 21:22
the cave squig rider can be a bsb. just don't give him a magic banner, instead some protective item (best boss at?). imo it's just too good a model to not include in an ng army :) you can keep him behind your line, butting up against the back of your units. he will guard the rear, then can either charge out at the right time, or move around to provide break rerolls where you need them (or trying to). sadly, random movement will leave you hangin when you need it most...

still, probably less important for a bsb than the general.

w3rm
12-05-2010, 22:49
Warboss
Great Weapon, Armour of Gork, Amulet of Protecyness, Battle Brew

Big Boss
Spear, Cave Squig, light Armour, Enchanted sheild

BSB with Raggedy Banner

Shaman with 2 scrolls

is what I'd do

minionboy
13-05-2010, 06:10
I strongly advise a BSB with the Raggedy banner, it's amazing.

Also, consider a Goblin Warboss over a NG Warboss, the extra pip of LD is very handy. I take similar characters to w3rm, except my squig rider has the one hit wonda.

BigbyWolf
13-05-2010, 18:32
the cave squig rider can be a bsb. just don't give him a magic banner, instead some protective item (best boss at?). imo it's just too good a model to not include in an ng army :) you can keep him behind your line, butting up against the back of your units. he will guard the rear, then can either charge out at the right time, or move around to provide break rerolls where you need them (or trying to). sadly, random movement will leave you hangin when you need it most...

still, probably less important for a bsb than the general.

I would have liked to have the BSB in my generals acutal combat block for added CR, but I suppose I can do without that one point ,at least while I give it a try, like you said, it's a crime not to stick him in the army!

I strongly advise a BSB with the Raggedy banner, it's amazing.

Also, consider a Goblin Warboss over a NG Warboss, the extra pip of LD is very handy. I take similar characters to w3rm, except my squig rider has the one hit wonda.

Goblin Warboss is a no-no, its Night Goblins all the way.

As for the Raggedy banner, I do think taking a magic standard instead of something defensive for the BSB is a bit of a risk, particularly when the Gobbo in question can only have a 6+ save (or 5+ if on a squig)...the opponents BSB is usually one of my first targets in a game, so I expect my opponents to do the same. But we'll see, I have a few friendly games scheduled so can mix and match between them.

Wyrm- Nicely defended Warboss, I'm swinging towards someone that can beat up a few people atm, but should that proove to be a bad idea I may have a go with him...

Jind_Singh
13-05-2010, 18:57
My Big Boss on Giant Squig is AMAZING! HE IS AMAZING!

Martogs best basha, light armour & shield, brimstone baubble - point, click, and watch him tear people up!

Some of his more bigger kills were:

3 Chaos Ogres, mark of Khorne - he ran in and did 4 wounds, the bauble did 5 when the 2 ogres smashed the rider apart, the squig became frenzied and hatred - next turn it bounded into a unit of 25 swordsman with warrior priest (was a doubles game), killed the warrior priest - Not bad for 134 points hey!

In almost every game he's done something great! If he lives he kills, when he gets killed he still kills!

Night Goblin LEvel 2 - staff of badum, mushrooms - you have the 2 scrolls already with the other dude, let this be your bad ass castor! He is deadly! 135pts and he's ready to go!

Malorian
13-05-2010, 18:59
Leadership will obviously be a huge issue.

I know you don't like the idea of skarsnik but I would seriously think about him for that reason alone (the rest is gravy).

BigbyWolf
13-05-2010, 19:28
It's not that I have an issue with Skarsnik as such, I just prefer normal characters in general. If my first couple of games turn out to be totally gipped by Ld, I may resort to him...we'll have to see.

Jind- do you mean swap the mushrooms on shaman II for another scroll, then use your build for the other one?

wamphyri101
13-05-2010, 19:42
Night Goblin Warboss- Tricksy Trinket, Shaga's Screamin' Sword, Amulet of Protectyness, Chariot: 210pts

d6+1 Str 5 impact save (no wards)
2 str 4 attacks from the riders with spears (no ward)
2 str 3 attacks from the wolves (no ward)
Potentially 8 Str 8 Attacks (- 5 Wave, No ward)

Great vs anything is you can get past his crap LD

w3rm
13-05-2010, 19:56
Except a Night goblins warboss cant take a chariot. Other then that yea!

The Boy Harker
13-05-2010, 19:59
Night Goblin Warboss- Tricksy Trinket, Shaga's Screamin' Sword, Amulet of Protectyness, Chariot: 210pts

d6+1 Str 5 impact save (no wards)
2 str 4 attacks from the riders with spears (no ward)
2 str 3 attacks from the wolves (no ward)
Potentially 8 Str 8 Attacks (- 5 Wave, No ward)

Great vs anything is you can get past his crap LD

Night Goblin Warboss cant ride a chariot IIRC. Just a giant Squig. You would have to take a Common Gobbo for this, which as you stated earlier, isnt an option.

I tip my squig cap to you though, I love Night Goblins but never seem to get anything better than a draw!

**edit** looks like W3rm beat me too it, hehe.

w3rm
14-05-2010, 17:14
Never underestimate a goblin. Cause if you do theyll stab you in the back, steal your boots and your girlfriend and all of your alcohol.

BigbyWolf
14-05-2010, 17:30
It's ok, only ugly girlfriends run off with Goblins.

Anyway, since sooo many people are advocating a nice attacking Squigy character, I reckon I may have to do away with the BSB. To compensate for this I could run Skarsnik as general, 2 Shamen, and a big boss on squig...does this please people?

Malorian
14-05-2010, 17:42
You could always run a bsb on cave squig ;)

The Blue Knight
15-05-2010, 21:06
Leadership will obviously be a huge issue.

I know you don't like the idea of skarsnik but I would seriously think about him for that reason alone (the rest is gravy).

I have to agree with Malorian, you really really need that extra leadership for those guys break even at the tought of something scary. That plus BSB the raggedy banner will keep the little guys around for a little longer than normal (two turns).

The Killing Blow by his petsquig rocks too.

AMWOOD co
16-05-2010, 22:10
As for the Raggedy banner, I do think taking a magic standard instead of something defensive for the BSB is a bit of a risk, particularly when the Gobbo in question can only have a 6+ save (or 5+ if on a squig)...

Note: The giant squig is a monster, not a steed. Therefore no +1 save for riding it.

I never take Night Goblin Big bosses or Warlords. Model him as a Night Goblin if you wish, but I always count them as gobbos just for the leadership.

Also, having a T4 character (ie. your battle standard) in a unit surrounded by T3 models, he's not that likely to be singled out unless someone really wants him dead for some reason.

rtunian
17-05-2010, 14:28
well you can't do that if he's on a squig, because normal gobbos can't ride squigs.

Roarschach
17-05-2010, 15:30
Goblin characters are cheap in general, so why not give them one hit wunda and bauble to maximize their effectiveness for their points, and be really fun as well.

Squigkikka
17-05-2010, 18:06
OHW and the bauble is the recipe for a suicide gobbo, but not meant for one on a squig- a wolf is more suited for that. Not only is it reliable (doesn't move 3d6), if the enemy decides to kill the squig instead of the gobbo then you wont even get to use your bauble since he'll break and flee instead.

Silent Tristero
18-05-2010, 00:39
Such a difficult choice here that I'm facing as well. I was trying to plan a 2000pt (Or thereabouts) list out so I knew what to add to my existing force, but I can't pick my characters! Also means I can't have a proper game to test out the combinations. Problem for me is I haven't even entirely ruled out orcs, since I caved and grabbed some of the highly appealing Black Orcs recently.

One relatively defensive shaman seems like a waste of a pretty interesting lore, but I've barely had a 1000pt game yet so I can't back up thoughts with much experience.

w3rm
18-05-2010, 01:35
Charge that weakened bloodthirster with a goblin boss on a wolf with the wunda and the bauble and smash him in the face then die and do more wounds!

papabearshane
20-05-2010, 01:23
Stick with what you have already. NG great shaman is fun but not justifiable for the LD6 he brings.

mattias
20-05-2010, 13:31
Ive played a couple of games rescently were Ive tried an unusual set up:

NG warboss on squig with at, gorks armour (+1T) and Best Basha
NG big boss BSB on squig with Red raggedy banner
NG big boss on squig with brimstone bauble and some nasty weapon (one favourite is sneaky skewerer for a godd -4 AS)
NG big boss on squig with pipes of DOOOM and one hit wonda

Combine this with 4 large units of NGs with nets, some snots, 2 units of 3 herds each, 2x9 hoppers and two giants and you actually have a decent army, despite the lack of warmchines and magic. There are a lot of things that are ItP in my army, and a lot of juicy targets for the enemy to focus on so my characters usually survie long enough to start doing some damage!

My warbass and my BSB have survived 3 of 3 games, and the raggedy banner has helped keep the non-ItP gobbos in place.

also, squigs are great fun to play, and they are very night gobliny.

MechGumbi
20-05-2010, 22:50
If I am using a NG boss on Squig, then he either has the sneaky skewerer or the one hit wunda and bauble. Hopefully you don't play the same opponents all the time, or they will just ignore the NG boss with bauble and just kill the squig, forcing a break test and likely flea.

undeadgoblin
21-05-2010, 16:56
For NG characters, always consider the Amulet of Protectyness. NG armour saves are crap, you might as well steal the enemy's :p I normally take a NG warboss with Great Weapon, Armour of Gork (toughness 5, yeah :D ) and the Amulet, giving you a strong offensive (4 S6 attacks) and defensive character, especially against dwarves.

For a NG on squig, I normally take One Hit Wunda with either Tricksy Trinket (for killing big daemons) or Bigged's Kickin' Boots ( to make the most out of your S10 while you have it).

For your other characters, have either two shamans, or a BSB and shaman. If you're taking two shamans, I'd keep them both level 1, as two is not enough to have proper magic offense, and give one the staff of sneaky stealin' and the other two dispel scrolls. If you're taking a BSB and shaman, take a level 1 shaman with 2 dispel scrolls, and a BSB with Raggedy Banner. The other goblin usable banners arent worth it.

I personally wouldn't take Skarsnik, as he is too easily targetable in combat which is a bad thing, seeming as he is only T4 with light armour, and over 200 points.

w3rm
22-05-2010, 14:26
Buboes eats Skarsnik ALIVE! Yeah he is pretty squishy.

Entreri Bloodletter
23-05-2010, 08:10
I would say keep the BSB, but put him on giant squig too. The setup I usually use for a NG on a squig is Martag's Best Basha and Battle Brew! Assuming you don't go stupid- (possible but at least its on a cheap character) you'll have either 6 S5 attacks that have hatred or 8S5 attacks that have hatred. Additionally, you'll have the BSB bonus so as long as you stick to supporting roles you should be fine. Keep him near the rear at the beginning or near other squigs- they work pretty well together. He really starts to shine in the later half of the game. With the remaining 20 points you could give him the enchanted shield to get him a decent 4+ save. He will be vulnerable at times and unreliable but I've seen him do so much carnage its crazy and not too expensive either.

As for the lord, Amulet of Protectyness is a must, and then either Armor of Gork for a more defensive character or Shagga's for a more offensive character depending on your own tastes. The Shamans are fine and might even get a spell off against a lower magic defensive army.