PDA

View Full Version : Are my old Temple Guard legal?

TrainwreckX
12-05-2010, 22:45
Hey all,

Are these temple guard tournament/GW retail store legal anymore? Are they technically holding halberds or spears? Cause I just stumbled across an entire unit of them in my closet I didn't even know I had.

ShaggothLord
12-05-2010, 22:49
Old models are perfectly fine, but be sure before hand to tell your opponent what they are.

theunwantedbeing
12-05-2010, 22:51
Or make sure that your saurus with spears have really long spears so those halberds look short by comparion :)

TrainwreckX
12-05-2010, 22:52
I have saurus with spears in the same army, that's why im wondering. Although the saurus aren't guarding a Slann, or are they wearing skulls on their heads.

Agnar the Howler
13-05-2010, 00:00
It doesn't matter, as Temple Guard can only use Halberds or Hand Weapons, they have no spears avaliable to get confused with.

TrainwreckX
13-05-2010, 00:18
I know that. But could they use spears in the old book? Cause if they could, these were spears, and under the most strict of WYSIWYG rules, somebody may call me on that.

Agnar the Howler
13-05-2010, 00:23
I know that. But could they use spears in the old book? Cause if they could, these were spears, and under the most strict of WYSIWYG rules, somebody may call me on that.

They cannot use a weapon they don't have access to. If someone tries to argue that they're spears, even after you show them that they could only ever be halberds by showing them the TG entry, then they aren't worth playing.

If Temple Guard could have spears or halberds, you might have trouble, but since spears are not a valid choice, all you need do is point to where it says that TG have halberds, as it's the only possible weapon it could be.

As for using them in previous army books, the version before this current one only had them down as using halberds too.

Either way, your opponent wouldn't have any sort of grounds to base an accusation of cheating on.

Arnizipal
13-05-2010, 00:51
Those are halberds by the look of it.
Spears don't have that hook at the back of the blade.

Dragonreaver
13-05-2010, 02:03
As Arnizipal says, if you showed me that unit without any prior knowledge of the list I'd assume they were halberds, because they look more like halberds.

If you wanted to use them as spears (I know you can't, but hypothetically), I'd have no problem as they COULD be spears, but they definitely look like halberds. They look more like halberds than the new TG halberds, even.

I can see where you're coming from though, a Saurus Warrior with a spear would look pretty similar, but I think the skull helmet is enough to differentiate them. Especially if the opponent is informed before hand.

Zaustus
13-05-2010, 02:52
Yup, they are very obviously Temple Guard with halberds and shields. You're 100% good to go with them.

Havock
13-05-2010, 03:14
Those are halberds.
What passes for a halberd these days would be named 'great axe' by any sane person :p

Dungeon_Lawyer
13-05-2010, 03:51
perfectly legal, they are halberds and to my knowledge TG never had access to spears in any edition.

I can see where you're coming from though, a Saurus Warrior with a spear would look pretty similar, but I think the skull helmet is enough to differentiate them. Especially if the opponent is informed before hand.

The frog in the middle smiting fools is a dead givaway too that this aint yer ordinary saurus unit~!

Ultimate Life Form
13-05-2010, 04:32
They were Saurus Temple Guard and they are Saurus Temple Guard and they have always been armed with Halberds. I'm using that very same unit myself.

That would indeed be preposterous; having to scrap your army only because GW deigns to update the models.

Zujara
13-05-2010, 06:23
As others have said, those are fine. My friend uses the same ones as well as the old skinks with short bows and just calls them blowpipes. I don't imagine most people would expect you to buy new miniatures just because the rules have changed.

Griefbringer
13-05-2010, 08:35
perfectly legal, they are halberds and to my knowledge TG never had access to spears in any edition.

Quick check through the 5th and 6th edition Lizardmen books: temple guard have always been armed with halberds and hand weapons, with no other options.

TrainwreckX
13-05-2010, 17:12
Thank you guys all! You've been very helpful. Thanks for checking the old books for my sanity too. I have the 6th edition one someplace but couldn't find it.

Haravikk
16-05-2010, 01:53
I've got the same ones too, definitely only ever had access to halberds in 6th edition :)

In fact, 6th edition was the first one where any infantry in the Lizardman army could have spears if I remember right, as they made a point of clarifying how many attacks the second rank would get since Saurus have two basic attacks. But ehm...I digress; only regular Saurus could have spears, Temple Guard always had halberds :)

Griefbringer
16-05-2010, 07:34
In fact, 6th edition was the first one where any infantry in the Lizardman army could have spears if I remember right

Saurus warriors in 5th edition could be armed with spears.

DarkstarSabre
16-05-2010, 10:02
In fact, to further verify....

Yes, your Temple Guard are legal. The 5th edition ones looked stranger still.

And yes, Saurus in 5th edition had spears as an option.

Both photos from this website (http://www.gamehobby.net/photo_gallery/photo_gallery_wfb_lizardmen.html).

Note: Not my own Lizardmen but the best images I could find of the old 5th edition Lizards.

Edit: And thanks to this thread and the mention of 5th edition Saurus I went rooting through my old boxes and found a unit of 10 that I'm now planning on stripping down and redoing. Thanks guys.