PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warriors, should I go halberd or great weapon?

Galladorn
13-05-2010, 15:19
Simple question.
Getting ready to gear my army towards 8th edition. Planning on adding 2 units of chaos warriors to my growing army. Planning on them each being 15 strong and one bearing the mark of nurgle and one bearing the mark of slaanesh. Each unit will be equipped with shields in addition.
Halberd-gives str 5, and attacks at initiative.
Great weapon- strength 6, and strikes last

which way to go?

LanceSaba
13-05-2010, 16:43
halberds all the way man! GW are to situational, pretty much good against OK but halberds are great at crushing the little guys

oh and through a shield on them two for those time you need to hunker down and range protection, also thats the way the models come if you buy the bits.

Agnar the Howler
13-05-2010, 17:34
Halberds and Shields all the way.

cold0
13-05-2010, 17:39
Halberds and Shields all the way.

x2, unless in the new edition the chaos armor+shield combo denies the march movement.

GuyLeCheval
13-05-2010, 18:00
It could be worth to place GW's on the nurgle unit because of the higher defense. But you would need to make it a unit of 12 or so... 15 just don't work well with GWs. Also on the slaanesh guys: halberds all the way.

Jericho
13-05-2010, 19:05
Halberd and shield is the same price and way more versatile. There will be the odd time where you'd like S6 or S7 but there are plenty of ways to get that elsewhere in a Chaos list. With the rumored changes to Initiative in 8th edition halberds might get a boost over great weapons as well, who knows :p

SchultzChaos
13-05-2010, 19:14
How does people get by with halberds in modeling-terms? I went with x2 hwps and shields for my warriors, as that is the cheapest way to go (though I really want halberds). Do you all buy that bit-box from direct order?

Galladorn
13-05-2010, 19:43
Halberds it is!!!!!!
Thank you very much.

Jericho
13-05-2010, 19:50
I haven't purchased the MO one yet, but then again I haven't modelled my Halberd Warriors yet either! For my Chosen with halberd and shield I converted the metal ones to be holding the great weapons in one hand, and a shield in the other. You can imagine how much fun that was... hours of pinning, cutting and converting. Each. Here they are. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50261&d=1231315826)

Galladorn
13-05-2010, 20:04
Those look really good!!
I'm just gonna cheat and get the GW ones

Agnar the Howler
13-05-2010, 20:31
I just used axes as their main weapons, and cut up some cocktail sticks for halberdy additions, such as extended shafts and spikes on the tops.

Witchblade
13-05-2010, 22:08
GWs are actually better than halberds in various situations, contrary to popular belief. I give halberds to MoS units and GWs to small MoK units.

Agnar the Howler
13-05-2010, 22:13
GWs are actually better than halberds in various situations, contrary to popular belief. I give halberds to MoS units and GWs to small MoK units.

Yes, in various situations GWs could be better, as could AHWs, but if you're looking for an all-round good weapon then halberds are the better choice.

Witchblade
13-05-2010, 23:22
AHWs are only better against enemies you don't need a more significant advantage against. GWs are better against stuff like heavy cavalry charges, against which you really need that extra boost.

I'd recommend GWs for all warrior units that are incapable of handling charges from nasty things. Bigger units with more SCR, a BSB nearby or stubborn are normally better off with halberds.

Havock
14-05-2010, 01:50
x2, unless in the new edition the chaos armor+shield combo denies the march movement.

In which case our army goes down the gutter so it wouldn't matter either way.

Jericho
14-05-2010, 06:52
Yeah that rumor makes no sense, I can't see why they would make Chaos Warriors even slower. Knights and Warriors, neither of them marching, trying to get 24" or more across the table. Yeah right.

Anyway of course GW's are better some of the time, everything has its moment in the sun. I would much rather have the flexibility than pray for a rare chance to use the GW's and not regret it.

Fritzallmighty
14-05-2010, 07:03
I made a regiment of warriors w/ halberds using the lances from the Chaos Knights box, since I gave the knights ensorcelled weapons. Took two boxes of knights to one of warriors, so on a large scale this won't work so well.

cold0
14-05-2010, 09:18
How does people get by with halberds in modeling-terms? I went with x2 hwps and shields for my warriors, as that is the cheapest way to go (though I really want halberds). Do you all buy that bit-box from direct order?

I have 40+ models from the Realms of Chaos era, the majority are hand-shield but a few have some nice halber, trident, schycle and so on. So they are just good as they are.

In which case our army goes down the gutter so it wouldn't matter either way

Yes, as I have explained in the other discussion is just a problem of "miniatures-look".

SchultzChaos
14-05-2010, 11:09
Can you link to the other thread, Cold0? Really needs some tips about the matter.

cold0
14-05-2010, 13:32
Can you link to the other thread, Cold0? Really needs some tips about the matter.

Sure:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255036&page=8

SchultzChaos
14-05-2010, 14:12
Thanks, Cold0! :)

GWItheUltimate
14-05-2010, 14:41
+1 to Halbeards and Shields

Varinastarion
14-05-2010, 15:14
7th ed.-Shields+Halberds.
8th ed( basing on the recent rumors)-same.

Alltaken
14-05-2010, 18:52
there actually are halbreds for CW in the GW site, they're collectors. Don't recall the price but it does the trick. Or buy halbreds of other races from a internet bit store.

Agnar the Howler
14-05-2010, 19:16
there actually are halbreds for CW in the GW site, they're collectors. Don't recall the price but it does the trick. Or buy halbreds of other races from a internet bit store.

Buying the metal halberds is a great way to make your 18 10-man unit a damn-sight more expensive. Using household objects like cocktail sticks or even leftover bitz is far cheaper in my opinion, and all it takes is a few minutes of dedicated work.