PDA

View Full Version : VC - Are zombie armies viable?

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
13-05-2010, 21:21
Simple question: Is a Vc zombie army viable? And by viable I mean more then just tarpitting, can you actually win combats with them (When fielded in ridiculous amounts ofcourse and maybe a corpsecart or flank charger for support.)?
Also to continue the trend that is manifesting in all WFB forums, will they change/improve/worsen come 8th?
Thanks in advance.

The_Bureaucrat
13-05-2010, 21:32
Not really. They can be somewhat effective vs more horde oriented armies. But against "killy" enemies you won't be able to win combat. In addition the fact that you can't put characters in them also really hurts them.

The rumored changes to 8th seem to hurt them. As they won't be able to autobreak units and they will recieve more ranks of attacks back. The horde rule may help a little. But the fact that units can be stubborn too also hurts.

Malorian
13-05-2010, 22:08
Actually I think the rumors will make them more useful.

Since they can take a banner that means they can hold objectives, so just move up a zombie unit, pump it up, and have a fortified objective :)

w3rm
13-05-2010, 23:07
But at most its just going to be a draw game because every single army has units that can take out a big zombie unit.

Example: Skaven

Unit of 9 or so Plague Censor Bearers in the front with a killy plague priest. Cast plague on that big zombie unit and kill about half of them. Then charge with the big plague censor unit and butcher some more while you flank them with a big unit of slaves and watch it die!

Ridarsin
13-05-2010, 23:36
My zombies have defeated 3 Chaos Knights (twice on flank and once from front), a unit of Flesh Hounds (flanked), and a Deamon Prince & Furies from the front. With the Helm of Commandment it makes them much better. I have also lost an equal amount of times with my zombies.

Lord Dan
13-05-2010, 23:49
The short answer? No.

The long answer? No, not at all.

BigbyWolf
14-05-2010, 09:32
^What the Terminator said...^

But if you want to do one...don't let us stop you...

Ultimate Life Form
14-05-2010, 09:42
I think it is the ultimate way to shell out maximum amount of cash for minimum value, both points- and tacticwise.

One or two units have their uses, if none other than filling your Core requirements, but with the rumored % system coming I expect to see even less of them.

Magic Karl
14-05-2010, 11:13
I think it is the ultimate way to shell out maximum amount of cash for minimum value

I've seen some great uses of the zombie parts to get maximum value for cash... Need some more zombies? Cut them in hald and put a spare head on the bare legs, 20 zombies becomes 30-40 easily.

I think Malorian's got it right about their uses, fortify an objective for low points cost. An ARMY of zombies though? If you plan to do it, do not base it around MSUs :p

Necromancer2
14-05-2010, 13:17
I was thinking about doing something like this for some time.
1- Vamp
2 Necros

2 units of Black knights
1 unit of wraiths
2 carts

the rest zombies

but until new BK models come out this idea is shelved.

sulla
14-05-2010, 17:08
I was thinking about doing something like this for some time.
1- Vamp
2 Necros

2 units of Black knights
1 unit of wraiths
2 carts

the rest zombies

but until new BK models come out this idea is shelved.Other than for the -1 to cast upgrade, the carts aren't really needed in that list, also there's no really great location for your necros. On the carts just makes great value targets for your opponents.

As long as your knight units are big enough to lose a few men and still be combatworthy (in case your magic gets shut down), it should be an ok list. Just be wary of putting knights into a combat the zombies are involved in; they often concede enough casualties to crumble other units in the same combat to dust. Also probably try to fit in a couple of sacrificial dog units to protect your knights from unwanted charges.

It will not be the most powerful VC army you can build but you shouldn't let that discourage you.

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
14-05-2010, 20:52
Thanks for the replies. So all core zombie is a big no-no. Back to the drawing board then...

Oh and completely off topic: Can a mounted character join a unit on foot and can he still take "Look Out Sir!" rolls? Also what else does he lose except his speed?

Ultimate Life Form
14-05-2010, 21:00
Yes he can join unless he's mounted on a flying monster, and he can still take look out sir rolls as long as the combined unit strength doesn't exceed 4. He loses... well, off the top of my head, nothing.

ooglatjama
14-05-2010, 21:06
Yes he can join unless he's mounted on a flying monster, and he can still take look out sir rolls as long as the combined unit strength doesn't exceed 4. He loses... well, off the top of my head, nothing.

Movement is pretty much it